Long Yun

Spring Forest/Alchemy Correllation

It sucks, though, since we use different termonology from those who've taught us, or the books we've read. When you guys start talking about alchemy I can see from your posts that it isn't the same thing i'm thinking.

Makes some reading completely irrelevant. Rarrgh!

I bet Sinfest's legs are crazy strong from horssstance.

Sinfest,

Do you think horsestance also helps strengthen your lower back? Thanks.

Mokona on the horsestance and alchemy -- Chunyi Lin did the horse stance at Shaolin for 2 hours nonstop everyday for 3 months and then the teacher said their third eye was fully open so the students could now do long distance healing. This was with Master Yao. So then Chunyi Lin did his first long distance healing of his uncle of a stomach condition.

I practiced SFQ for about a year and saw zero benefits.

1. Is there anyone here who practiced SFQ, was unhappy and found something else that was better? I am a Qigong newbie and am looking for something equally simple but effective for health issues.

2. Chunyi Lin wrote that his Qigong is for health only and not for alchemy or spiritual processes. So, when he himself is saying this, why would there be spiritual benefits?

3. Reading all of Fulllotus' posts I get this:

a. Full Lotus is more important than all SFQ exercises and meditations, so just doing full lotus is good and the other exercises don't mean much.

b. If you can't do full lotus, then there is not much for one in this system. So, this is really Full Lotus Qigong. I tried hard, failed at full lotus and all the full lotus posts here terribly depressed me. After a year, I eventually gave up SFQ because of the damn full lotus.

Can someone tell me about systems which do not insist on - do full lotus or be damned?

Look around for something that vibes with you. I wasn't practicing a system at all when I started showing strong chi, it was all from my own experimentation and meditations. don't let that other BS stop you. There is no "One excersise that is better than any other excersise" it all comes down to what works best for the INDIVIDUAL.

• Like 2

I practiced SFQ for about a year and saw zero benefits.

1. Is there anyone here who practiced SFQ, was unhappy and found something else that was better? I am a Qigong newbie and am looking for something equally simple but effective for health issues.

2. Chunyi Lin wrote that his Qigong is for health only and not for alchemy or spiritual processes. So, when he himself is saying this, why would there be spiritual benefits?

3. Reading all of Fulllotus' posts I get this:

a. Full Lotus is more important than all SFQ exercises and meditations, so just doing full lotus is good and the other exercises don't mean much.

b. If you can't do full lotus, then there is not much for one in this system. So, this is really Full Lotus Qigong. I tried hard, failed at full lotus and all the full lotus posts here terribly depressed me. After a year, I eventually gave up SFQ because of the damn full lotus.

Can someone tell me about systems which do not insist on - do full lotus or be damned?

Did you mean Chunyi Lin said qigong is not for spiritual purposes? Well the LEvel 3 is to open the third eye explicitly and he does teach full lotus as the level 3 practice but still most of his students don't sit in full lotus. So I wouldn't freak out if you can't sit in full lotus yet. haha. I haven't taken his classes since 2005 but I did take the classes intensively during 2000 -- and 2001 and then sporadically up till 2005. Most of the students were older females and relied on the qi transmissions from Chunyi Lin.

When I got up today I noticed the full moon energy was really strong so then I checked Chunyi Lin's facebook because the energy was just too strong and it was too unusual and amazingly he posted this today:

Chunyi Lin

Hello my dear friends! There are major shifts this year- the energy is much better this year than last year!

Like · Comment · 4 hours ago ·

haha.

Yeah if you take the Level 3 class he walks around and he sticks his finger to your forward to open your third eye -- he shoots energy into the center of your head. But he only teaches that once a year now.

Edited by fulllotus

hi drew, good to see you posting again by the way..

To any SFQ practitioner: Is it best to do small universe before or after active exercises for the alchemical effect?

The order of the active exercises the OP outlined is facinating. I had the impression that a practitioner might just pick and choose one or two to do for an extended period, which is what I had been doing to clear specific system blockages as per level 2 manual.

I have the same problem Sykkelpump mentioned with small universe, it feels forced unless variables are exactly right which is rare. I want to use it but if I were to listen to my body I would use moving of yin and yang while seated for extended period to circulate energy, even though when I mentioned this to Master Lin he told me that small universe is better. The constant mental activity required by SU however seems to be at odds with my ability to go into the emptiness. My mind craves space and openness rather than non stop directed activity. I did years of Kriya Yoga between 1994-2008 which is similar to SU so maybe my energy system doesn't want me to rotate energy around the spine so much anymore?

Umm yeah -- thanks. The earlier posts about small universe and active exercise -- Chunyi Lin says that a beginner should first do three times as much standing active exercise to passive sitting exercise and that the active exercise build up your jing energy while activating the chi energy. The passive sitting "harvest" the chi energy. Chunyi Lin says that the small universe exercise can be taken to the highest level - and then he states that his own small universe practice has gone very deep and like I said he gave a quote from the end of "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality." It was just strange that I had been reading the book and I had it in class with me - -maybe 25 people in the room -- it was in my backpack -- so it wasn't on display. The quote was about what a person sees right before they make the yang spirit leave their body -- making another physical body. Somewhere around there in the practice.

Anyway so the question about "forcing" the energy -- yes this is the key issue with Bodri and Nan about the small universe practice. First they state that for most people the small universe practice is just "wind chi" or just using the mind to move the jing energy without really opening up the full small universe. This is also the point made by Wang Liping's students -- that only a few really fully open up the small universe. Again this is a matter of degree and should not limit someone's practice because these different levels of the small universe are made very clear in the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" which is completely the small universe practice.

So first there is using the small universe just to focus your mind to just get your mind into the emptiness! This means that the practice of small universe actually does increase your level of emptiness - and you would have to study the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" for details but I think the main point is that only the eyes are yang in the body as expressing the soul energy of the body from the prenatal spirit-vitality - -during the day. So when we close the eyes and then the small universe is a type of eye circulation as well. I mean we are not physically rotating our eyes but by visualizing the energy rotating I think this is connected. The book "Taoist Yoga" focuses on closing the eyes to get the energy focused into the lower tan tien and this is primarily by sublimating the emotional lower energy -- the key focus is that the breathing is used to drive up the sex energy of the body.

Once in a weekend guild healing practice meeting Chunyi Lin was very explicit about this -- this was back in 2000 -- in the fall -- he said how there should not be any thoughts about sex for the practice to become advanced and to convert the jing to chi energy successfully. He was very serious about this but it was the only time I ever heard him say the term jing and again it was when I had been bringing the book "Taoist Yoga" with me in my backpack. So it was a strange coincidence. But then later Chunyi Lin said that for Chinese culture they do not discuss these things in public. So obviously I think he realized he maybe was being too strict for the typical practitioner. haha.

Anyway so if you do build up your jing energy from doing the three to one active to passive ratio then as the electromagnetic energy gets stronger then people can try out the full lotus. As Chunyi Lin says 20 minutes of full lotus equals four hours of any other meditation. Chunyi Lin also says that the small universe will cycle naturally in full lotus meditation.

So the key thing is that the second passive meditation is called "self concentration" which is the emptiness meditation. So if you feel the need to focus more on getting into the emptiness you can also just practice that meditation -- or just use meditation music. What I do is just sit in full lotus for 2 hours non-stop with my eyes closed and then use mantra japa of Om Mani Pamde Hum -- also reverse breathing. Still I am at a beginner level. haha.

But I agree that the small universe when the energy gets advanced then needs the personal guidance of a teacher -- as Master Nan, Huai-chin and Bodri point out. When my energy got advanced then Chunyi Lin said I should have called him. haha. Instead I looked for guidance in other books and that's when I discovered Master Nan, Huai-chin's books and he said how most modern practitioners "fall back into worldliness" due to "heroic overexuberance" because the practitioner begins to gain spiritual powers as the third eye opens up and samadhi is achieved.

Or as Yogananda states -- the typical white man gets a taste of enlightenment and then writes six books about it before any real serious achievement is gained -- I'm paraphrasing but he did say something along those lines. haha.

Chunyi Lin says that when the energy does get advanced then it's best to be in a place that is in harmony with Nature and also that it is necessary to go on retreat to practice at the advanced levels, etc. So the typical energy master from what I've read will usually train one or two others to also be an energy master and this has happened with Chunyi Lin training Jim Nance and Lesley Vincent. So Jim Nance was told by Chunyi Lin to sit in full lotus two hours nonstop every day in meditation without missing a day. Even still Jim Nance relied on getting regular guidance and transmissions from Chunyi Lin while Jim Nance helped teaching the classes and leading the guild healing practice sessions on the weekends -- doing energy transmissions. But now Jim Nance can do the long distance astral healing - he told me that when he goes somewhere he really is there. haha.

So that is definitely the real alchemical training - creating the spirit body for long distance travel.

• Like 1

It sucks, though, since we use different termonology from those who've taught us, or the books we've read. When you guys start talking about alchemy I can see from your posts that it isn't the same thing i'm thinking.

Makes some reading completely irrelevant. Rarrgh!

I bet Sinfest's legs are crazy strong from horssstance.

Sinfest,

Do you think horsestance also helps strengthen your lower back? Thanks.

The horse stance that I'm doing looks like I'm sitting on a chair, I'm trying to keep my back more straight and go lower each time. Sometimes it affects my lower back around ming men point. POWAH!!!!

Umm yeah -- thanks. The earlier posts about small universe and active exercise -- Chunyi Lin says that a beginner should first do three times as much standing active exercise to passive sitting exercise and that the active exercise build up your jing energy while activating the chi energy. The passive sitting "harvest" the chi energy. Chunyi Lin says that the small universe exercise can be taken to the highest level - and then he states that his own small universe practice has gone very deep and like I said he gave a quote from the end of "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality." It was just strange that I had been reading the book and I had it in class with me - -maybe 25 people in the room -- it was in my backpack -- so it wasn't on display. The quote was about what a person sees right before they make the yang spirit leave their body -- making another physical body. Somewhere around there in the practice....

Thanks, I will give the 3 to one ratio a shot. I don't think I'll ever get to full lotus since my legs aren't very long proportionally and I'm a runner so my knees don't need the strain. Active exercises have definitely helped with knee issues when I first started them. I remember in level 2 Jim Nance mentioning the Burmese style sitting (I think it was called that) which is hips open, legs flat on the ground and sideways, one in front of the other. If I can get increasingly comfortable with that that would work well for me I think.

Question for Drew.

I'm doing between 2 to 3 hours of SFQ to start the day. I want to start bodybuilding again too, and need to be on a high protien diet and eat 5 or 6 times a day. Am I at risk of making myself smell by combining these 2 things?

Question for Drew.

I'm doing between 2 to 3 hours of SFQ to start the day. I want to start bodybuilding again too, and need to be on a high protien diet and eat 5 or 6 times a day. Am I at risk of making myself smell by combining these 2 things?

No -- not until you can flex your pineal gland. haha. Chunyi Lin says to wait a half hour before doing the meditation and half hour after for eating. Chunyi Lin himself said he eats one small veggie meal a day which is also the diet of Wang Liping and Yan Xin -- and many of Yan Xin pracitioners on a bigu diet. I'm still not sure how much of a bigu diet I need to follow. When I mentioned how I get internal tingling and then I know I smell Chunyi Lin told me that it was not a problem and to just keep storing up the chi energy. So when I stopped "flexing my pineal gland" I immediately noticed the internal tingling went down as it was caused by the jing energy not being purified before being transmitted as chi energy. So I still have to be very careful about my diet but Chunyi Lin said it was o.k. for me to eat meat and drink milk. So I don't practice a very pure diet but if I have extra sugar then I need to eat sulfur food or vinegar to cut down the glycemic index. This seems to correlate with what Gabriel Cousens and other raw food eaters say -- that sugar is the big culprit -- so that greens should be the main component versus even fruit. A couple fruit a day is o.k. So sometimes I have too much fruit or else I eat processed food. I am very sensitive to salt which keeps me awake and then in the advanced training in alchemy in "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" it states to not eat salt. So when I did my intensive training I was on a vegan diet and also salt free for several weeks and then I went 8 days on just half a glass of water yet during that time my electromagnetic energy was its strongest ever. So it's really the creation of electromagnetic energy that is key -- as Bodri and Nan state converting jing to chi for the bigu or energy feast is dangerous yet if done properly it is practically limitless. This is detailed in their new book -- the tome "Measuring Meditation." A book that is an excellent cross-analysis of advanced meditation practices and philosophies. So I still have diet issues but since i stopped doing the pineal gland flexing after my phone healing with Chunyi Lin then immediately my diet issues were much better. I still get internal tingling but I can almost always fix it right away. So also "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" states to not eat garlic, onions or leeks since they create sex fluid but those are sulfur foods that I have been eating to counteract sugar. haha. So I still need to work on that -- vinegar is underrated since acetic acid will counteract lactic acid -- but it also is smelly. So a diet that is more alkaline is best. Lemons are excellent since they are low sugar and high in potassium but the acid is antiseptic. Yes I appreciate the diet question since it is always something I can work on. I eat organic fruit regularly and also do sprouting of organic wheat and I grow organic wheatgrass and then I do gardening for local fresh food. The rainbow diet is excellent. I increased my egg take and I get eggs from local farmers having cage-free hens. So I also agree with increasing my protein and cholesterol to increase my jing energy and this has worked well. I eat sardines daily since it is winter and I have not gotten hardly any sun. haha. Also nuts -- I eat more of those -- walnuts for omega 3.

So I think that until you can flex the pineal gland -- after that then diet is more of an issue as the qigong masters that I follow - Wang Liping, Chunyi Lin, Yan Xin -- they all practice what's called a "modified bigu" diet but this is only possible if the chi energy is very strong. I was fasting before but that was not real bigu -- I had the one real bigu when I did my intensive training. But the fasts after that were not real bigu -- I was converting jing to chi but I still did not store chi energy nor did I have strong chi energy. So it is very important to build up the jing energy -- it takes a lot of jing energy to make chi energy. So I agree that a strong protein diet is a good idea. It's one I have been following now and I'm glad I do it. I eat as much as possible. haha.

The thing is that muscles are not necessary to create strong chi energy and too much physical exercise can detract from building up the chi energy -- check out Effie Chow

She says how she can sense someone's energy and add it to her own. Chunyi Lin is a super skinny dude -- and he says muscles are not necessary to be a qigong master. yan Xin is a super skinny dude. Read the book Dr. David Eisenberg's Encounters with Qi -- a harvard medical doctor - the photos of the qigong masters doing telekinesis - t hey are all real skinny. haha.

So the West is too materialistic. Sure there is hard qigong training which builds on the martial arts muscle training but the medical qigong masters -- I mean Yan Xin was at Shaolin and the one finger hand stand master also was super skinny. So the secret to building up the chi is to sublimate and transform the jing -- not to build muscle. I mean muscle training is great but it can also be a distraction from serious training. When I did serious qigong meditation I practiced six hours a day and then I went full time -- just like the Shaolin qigong masters -- they meditate all night long. haha.

Hey Chunyi Lin says he loves martial arts movies and the first time he sat in full lotus for two hours nonstop was watching a martial arts movie and he says it's o.k. to sit in full lotus while watching a movie -- for the beginning of the practice. haha.

So the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" gives the details about the real training and there's no mention of muscles that I can recall so if they are mentioned it is only in a minor passing fashion if at all.

Edited by fulllotus

No -- not until you can flex your pineal gland. haha. Chunyi Lin says to wait a half hour before doing the meditation and half hour after for eating. Chunyi Lin himself said he eats one small veggie meal a day which is also the diet of Wang Liping and Yan Xin -- and many of Yan Xin pracitioners on a bigu diet. I'm still not sure how much of a bigu diet I need to follow. When I mentioned how I get internal tingling and then I know I smell Chunyi Lin told me that it was not a problem and to just keep storing up the chi energy. So when I stopped "flexing my pineal gland" I immediately noticed the internal tingling went down as it was caused by the jing energy not being purified before being transmitted as chi energy. So I still have to be very careful about my diet but Chunyi Lin said it was o.k. for me to eat meat and drink milk. So I don't practice a very pure diet but if I have extra sugar then I need to eat sulfur food or vinegar to cut down the glycemic index. This seems to correlate with what Gabriel Cousens and other raw food eaters say -- that sugar is the big culprit -- so that greens should be the main component versus even fruit. A couple fruit a day is o.k. So sometimes I have too much fruit or else I eat processed food. I am very sensitive to salt which keeps me awake and then in the advanced training in alchemy in "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" it states to not eat salt. So when I did my intensive training I was on a vegan diet and also salt free for several weeks and then I went 8 days on just half a glass of water yet during that time my electromagnetic energy was its strongest ever. So it's really the creation of electromagnetic energy that is key -- as Bodri and Nan state converting jing to chi for the bigu or energy feast is dangerous yet if done properly it is practically limitless. This is detailed in their new book -- the tome "Measuring Meditation." A book that is an excellent cross-analysis of advanced meditation practices and philosophies. So I still have diet issues but since i stopped doing the pineal gland flexing after my phone healing with Chunyi Lin then immediately my diet issues were much better. I still get internal tingling but I can almost always fix it right away. So also "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" states to not eat garlic, onions or leeks since they create sex fluid but those are sulfur foods that I have been eating to counteract sugar. haha. So I still need to work on that -- vinegar is underrated since acetic acid will counteract lactic acid -- but it also is smelly. So a diet that is more alkaline is best. Lemons are excellent since they are low sugar and high in potassium but the acid is antiseptic. Yes I appreciate the diet question since it is always something I can work on. I eat organic fruit regularly and also do sprouting of organic wheat and I grow organic wheatgrass and then I do gardening for local fresh food. The rainbow diet is excellent. I increased my egg take and I get eggs from local farmers having cage-free hens. So I also agree with increasing my protein and cholesterol to increase my jing energy and this has worked well. I eat sardines daily since it is winter and I have not gotten hardly any sun. haha. Also nuts -- I eat more of those -- walnuts for omega 3.

So I think that until you can flex the pineal gland -- after that then diet is more of an issue as the qigong masters that I follow - Wang Liping, Chunyi Lin, Yan Xin -- they all practice what's called a "modified bigu" diet but this is only possible if the chi energy is very strong. I was fasting before but that was not real bigu -- I had the one real bigu when I did my intensive training. But the fasts after that were not real bigu -- I was converting jing to chi but I still did not store chi energy nor did I have strong chi energy. So it is very important to build up the jing energy -- it takes a lot of jing energy to make chi energy. So I agree that a strong protein diet is a good idea. It's one I have been following now and I'm glad I do it. I eat as much as possible. haha.

The thing is that muscles are not necessary to create strong chi energy and too much physical exercise can detract from building up the chi energy -- check out Effie Chow

She says how she can sense someone's energy and add it to her own. Chunyi Lin is a super skinny dude -- and he says muscles are not necessary to be a qigong master. yan Xin is a super skinny dude. Read the book Dr. David Eisenberg's Encounters with Qi -- a harvard medical doctor - the photos of the qigong masters doing telekinesis - t hey are all real skinny. haha.

So the West is too materialistic. Sure there is hard qigong training which builds on the martial arts muscle training but the medical qigong masters -- I mean Yan Xin was at Shaolin and the one finger hand stand master also was super skinny. So the secret to building up the chi is to sublimate and transform the jing -- not to build muscle. I mean muscle training is great but it can also be a distraction from serious training. When I did serious qigong meditation I practiced six hours a day and then I went full time -- just like the Shaolin qigong masters -- they meditate all night long. haha.

Hey Chunyi Lin says he loves martial arts movies and the first time he sat in full lotus for two hours nonstop was watching a martial arts movie and he says it's o.k. to sit in full lotus while watching a movie -- for the beginning of the practice. haha.

So the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" gives the details about the real training and there's no mention of muscles that I can recall so if they are mentioned it is only in a minor passing fashion if at all.

Thanks Drew. Yeah - I kind of want to do the Qigong/Bodybuilding thing as kind of an experiment. Before 2001 when I started level one SFQ I was a musclehead for about 6 years and women had a response to my muscles but at the same time on an energetic level they could pick up on some of my personality blockages. It was sort of a combination of bodybuilder narcissm mixed with social anxiety. Actually I think most weightlifters have these blockages. So since 2001 I have never really combined the two. Lately I have been practicing a ton of SFQ and I can tell my personality blockages are gone and I can tell that women like the energy. So now I want to combine the two and see what the response is. As far as I know - I have never really heard of anybody combining the two.

Also - one other question. In the morning for my long Qigong sessions I rotate from standing exercises, to lying down small universe, back to more standing, and end in sitting small universe. Sometimes I mix it up different ways but I can do 3 hours like this. I think I want to incorporate "self concentration" so I can officialy start the right way. How would the order go? I know I saw you mention the order recently but I forgot what it was. I've done thousands of hours of small universe the last 10 years but have only done "self cocentration" twice. So I think I need to finally start knocking it out to earn my wings. I was sitting indian style for a half an hour a day doing small universe for the last two months - but stopped last week because of slight knee pain. My current routine has gotten rid of the knee pain. I actually think the knee pain didn't come from Indian style but from me messing with my legs afterwards and trying half lotus.

Thanks Drew. Yeah - I kind of want to do the Qigong/Bodybuilding thing as kind of an experiment. Before 2001 when I started level one SFQ I was a musclehead for about 6 years and women had a response to my muscles but at the same time on an energetic level they could pick up on some of my personality blockages. It was sort of a combination of bodybuilder narcissm mixed with social anxiety. Actually I think most weightlifters have these blockages. So since 2001 I have never really combined the two. Lately I have been practicing a ton of SFQ and I can tell my personality blockages are gone and I can tell that women like the energy. So now I want to combine the two and see what the response is. As far as I know - I have never really heard of anybody combining the two.

Also - one other question. In the morning for my long Qigong sessions I rotate from standing exercises, to lying down small universe, back to more standing, and end in sitting small universe. Sometimes I mix it up different ways but I can do 3 hours like this. I think I want to incorporate "self concentration" so I can officialy start the right way. How would the order go? I know I saw you mention the order recently but I forgot what it was. I've done thousands of hours of small universe the last 10 years but have only done "self cocentration" twice. So I think I need to finally start knocking it out to earn my wings. I was sitting indian style for a half an hour a day doing small universe for the last two months - but stopped last week because of slight knee pain. My current routine has gotten rid of the knee pain. I actually think the knee pain didn't come from Indian style but from me messing with my legs afterwards and trying half lotus.

Yeah there's a certain irony to these things from the perspective of the chi energy -- so for me I prefer full lotus because half lotus or cross legged hurts the knees. haha. Ironic -- but the thing is that full lotus builds up and circulates the electromagnetic energy and it is the electromagnetic energy that creates the physical energy. So in the West we have things turned around. Also we females -- it is the electromagnetic energy that actually attracts females. haha. So you have this right -- muscles are stored electromagnetic energy. So yeah muscles are awesome. But still if a qigong master can store even more electromagnetic energy then they are able to add the external electromagnetic energy to their own -- because they can circulate it more powerfully. The laser holographic shen spirit energy is even more so -- as Chunyi Lin says the information is so fast at that level it can not really be put into words. Master Nan, Huai-chin says the same thing about real samadhi -- these things have to remain secret because no one would believe it anyway. haha.

Anyway about the practice -- yeah I mean Chunyi Lin did say that storing up the jing energy and having no sex thoughts it key -- I mean obviously he just said that once and that was it -- but I mean for real alchemical training. So for Jim Nance he says he doesn't even watch t.v. and he hinted at me to get a different job and to not use the internet, etc. I mean for the serious training -- it requires total mind control.

Yeah still -- for the self-concentration -- yes this is the mind concentration and it's like the hub of a wheel. The small universe is like turning the rim of the wheel -- easy and effective. The hub is like the brain -- hold onto the hub of a bike wheel and try to spin it -- not nearly as easy as turning the rim. haha.

The thing about sitting for small universe is then there is pressure on your perineum -- as Yan Xin emphasizes for his meditation -- if you can sit on the edge of the chair with your back straight but relaxed. So if you can do that instead of lying down this is better.

Yeah it is great you have got rid of the knee pain -- as Jim Nance says to not force the full lotus and the real secret for that is to create the electromagnetic energy from the small universe and active exercises.

When I practiced I did a half hour of standing active and then a half hour of small universe in a chair and then a half hour of self concentration in half lotus and then a half hour of standing active again -- that way you go right from the sitting position that might be painful to the standing active to work out the pain. I would definitely end the practice with a half hour of standing active. Like you said you want to take it easy on your knees. so even if you have to do the self-concentration sitting in a chair that is fine because the focus of self concentration is to focus the mind. I mean Chunyi Lin uses the right brain visualization practice so he does the guided visualization and relaxation for self concentration -- this is actually even better if a person can just go into the right brain visualization after deep relaxation. This might be easier for females who tend to be more right brain focused - as the book S/he Brain by professor Robert Nadeau gets into. haha.

Anyway that was my two hour session and Chunyi Lin says it takes two hours for the chi to complete a cycle in the body. So the other thing to consider is that also Taoist Yoga says it's best to practice both in the morning and before going to bed. So you might want to consider two sessions of two hours. But then if you are just practicing for health reasons, etc. then that's probably too much. haha.

Thanks for sharing --

Chunyi Lin instructs on the 'small universe' mp3 to breath in the universe into each point along the MCO. He is not characterizing the universe as devoid of life but a living lifeforce of which we are all a part of. That knowledge alone, should accelerate anyone's practice, immediately! Further, upon deeper examination, this practice is ultimately about cooperation i.e, mutualism, with not only the universal lifeforce and by extension all other beings on this planet.

I hope this helps anyone having difficulty with these practices.

Feel the force!

Edited by ralis

Chunyi Lin instructs on the 'small universe' mp3 to breath in the universe into each point along the MCO. He is not characterizing the universe as devoid of life but a living lifeforce of which we are all a part of. That knowledge alone, should accelerate anyone's practice, immediately! Further, upon deeper examination, this practice is ultimately about cooperation i.e, mutualism, with not only the universal lifeforce and by extension all other beings on this planet.

I hope this helps anyone having difficulty with these practices.

Feel the force!

Some of the terminology Master Lin uses throws me for a loop, e.g., sending blockages "to the end of the universe". My literal mind doesn't know what to do with that concept. But I like the way you frame the mutualism piece, kind of removes the western mind pressure to want to "make the technique work", thanks.

Hey Drew - thanks for the other answer. I'm about to go practice again today - but I have another quick question.

You said you saw spirits come down to get Chunyi Lin's energy. When I do small universe I usually see these white things darting around. They move kind of quick - they move the same way as little small organisms moving around pond water - if that makes sense. I see these things with my eyes open too. This started about 5 years ago. If I'm in a room by myself and sit still - I can usually see them out of the corner of my eye. I also see sparkles sometimes. I know you are not supposed to make a big deal about this stuff - but any idea what these thing are that dart around?

Hey Drew - thanks for the other answer. I'm about to go practice again today - but I have another quick question.

You said you saw spirits come down to get Chunyi Lin's energy. When I do small universe I usually see these white things darting around. They move kind of quick - they move the same way as little small organisms moving around pond water - if that makes sense. I see these things with my eyes open too. This started about 5 years ago. If I'm in a room by myself and sit still - I can usually see them out of the corner of my eye. I also see sparkles sometimes. I know you are not supposed to make a big deal about this stuff - but any idea what these thing are that dart around?

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/09/what-the-things-you-see-when-you-close-your-eyes-and-rub-them-are-called/

Sounds like some form of phosphenes.

I was practicing the "quick fire" candle meditation the past couple days -- actually I was staring into a fireplace fire. haha. Then when I walked in the dark I noticed all these bright white lights -- it was just like being in bright sunlight and then you get the after effect for a while.

but then when I was falling asleep and then the third eye energy opened up and I saw a nice violet light which I hadn't seen in awhile. It's because I had been practicing in solitude for a couple days so I was able to build up my chi energy and the violet light is indication that the spirit light is being activated -- the serotonin spectrogram in the brain is blue. So I think that is part of it.

Anyway when I saw the spirits -- that was very amazing -- they were just as big as humans and shaped like humans but only bright yellow and floating through the air. but that was after I also saw Chunyi Lin make similar human shaped forms come out of his head while he was in full lotus.

As I had mentioned I had just read the biography of master monk Mun in Thailand and he mentioned how when he gave his meditation lectures then the dead spirits would visit him regularly -- so otherwise when Chunyi Lin shared what was happening I don't know what I would have thought! haha. I mean I just read about it but since then I've never seen that mentioned of the same phenomenon -- of a meditation master giving a talk and then the dead spirits coming to him to hear the talk and get help, etc.