Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

fastest route to flexibility

Very ancient training method. Set up four pulleys in some trees. Tie the end of each one to each ankle and wrist. Make sure you have a very sadistic martial arts master handy and have him control the pulleys and so he can force you into the splits. Center your mind after the required montage has been played, open your eyelids to reveal a fierce and concentrative gaze and rip down the pulley system. No pat yourself on the back because you my friend are ready for Kumite!

Lol! You forgot to mention the terrible dialogue in the movie too.

Lol I was watching bloodsport last night, love that movie.

Start by nourishing the wood organs gallbladder (yang) and liver (yin) and your flexibility will skyrocket. I recommend Baguazhang or any other Muscle and Tendon Changing Qigong exercises.

• Like 1

Thinking about this thread puts me in physical pain.

Then again I just woke up and am still pretty stiff from sleep.... still though... ouch....

Well its on the way, we shall soon find out.

Thanks for the tip!

Future fluidity,

Rob

What did we find out ?

How long did you use these herbs ?

Were they in a Tea or in Alcohol ?

• Like 1

Lol, fast & flexibility don't mix. From my own personal experience, here's my advice:

In reality, you should be slowly melting deeper into your stretch, allowing gravity & time to do most of the work for you. I find it takes me about 5 minutes to slowly drop down to my daily limit in my stretch. As opposed to bouncing or flowing through a sequence of poses. That's actually pointless.

The point is to slowly deepen in ONE pose at a time, slowwllyy...

Although sometimes, you may also need to tighten the opposing muscle in a particular direction to protect a vulnerable joint (like knees).

And often, make sure to do at least a quick opposing stretch afterwards just to balance yourself out (particularly with forward or back bends).

As I mentioned in my earlier post.... Don't "do" the asana, let it do you. Go as far as you are comfortable to your edge, relax and breath. Allow gravity and the body position do the work. Don't force it. As you breath and relax you'll go deeper into the asana. Personally I feel that your sifu is setting you up for possible injury by putting a deadline in place. We finish every yoga session with shavasana (death pose) laying flat on the floor, meditative; allowing the muscles to recover from the stretching. This is a very critical part of the process.

I agree with Starjumper that the extreme pose you showed on the first post of this thread is something that will take a long, long time to achieve and will probably not be worth the potential danger. Being able to do that type of asana will not really improve your martial art either. You should look into yoga for athletes. As a previous poster mentioned, it looks like you're after overall suppleness and general flexibility, a very worthwhile endevour.

One other thing to consider. Yoga asanas are not designed primarily as a stretching exercise or workout. They do that, but the deeper benefit is that they open channels and massage/invigorate the various organs internally. For some of us there is a deeper spiritual component as well in the meditative aspect of yoga.

I largely agree with your statements. I believe that so-called stretching is a very no-pain-no-gain, externalized, Western mindset in terms of increasing one's flexibility. I highly encourage everyone interested in increasing flexibility to read and practice some material related to the Feldenkrais method. Simply, the method revolves around LEARNING how to organize your muscles and NOT stretching them. Therefore, increasing flexibility is accomplished via slow movements which, scientifically speaking, provide more sensory information to the brain and thus enables one to have greater control. Think about tai-chi.

What did we find out ?

How long did you use these herbs ?

Were they in a Tea or in Alcohol ?

Powdered, meant to be put in a capsule.

I drank in a mixture of mostly water.

This was over a year ago and I have not reordered.

Enzymes such as Repair Gold, and Hyaluronan seem to be the magic formula for me as of late.

It's good to be training again! :)

Don't know about this stuff though...

http://www.erikandan...rk/beefcake.htm

:lol::D

Sign in to follow this