chrisjswanson

Favorite Foods

lengua tacos :). Sushi/sashimi. My current fave is whitefish. Carrot juice.
Ayurveda says don't heat honey at all, and also don't mix it in equal portions with ghee. To be safe, don't mix it at all with ghee...although I've seen that some say in unequal quantities it's beneficial. The honey should be from an organic source and raw. The ghee should ideally be from fresh cultured organic butter, and processed in coordination with the full moon, in addition to some other things...and not just clarified regular butter. The former has a more beneficial effect on the system.

I haven't been able to find much good reasoning behind why you shouldn't combine the two...from my understanding it's one of those unexplained rules; nevertheless it is stated in the texts. I think it has to do with improper food combining, which creates ama (toxins), since they're of opposing qualities (heating and cooling) and probably counteract each other's medicinal effects. You don't want something to be sitting in the stomach as something else ferments, basically...give the stomach one thing to work with, or else complementary things. It's cool to learn about food combining.

Something you could try instead is to have a very small amount of ghee, like a teaspoon to begin with. Take that on an empty stomach, and then only when you feel hungry take the honey. If you have too much ghee, it will put out the agni (digestive fire) and create ama, rather than stoking it (which will make you more hungry than usual) and preventing ama formation.

Taking the honey dissolved in spring water is said to be good for maintaining a healthy weight (losing it if too fat, gaining it if too thin) and basically helps the body to coordinate itself all around...or even use rain water to get a lot of good prana in there...so you could do it like that once the hunger arises after taking the little bit of ghee.

Found this person's answer for you.

As for other types of oil, coconut oil is even more cooling than ghee. It's problematic for some people in various ways. It wouldn't be ideal during the winter. Ghee is said to be the best oil for everyone, it's tridoshic...won't have any negative effects when taken in the right amount (for kapha dosha predominant people, just a small amount will pacify kapha rather than increase it).

Honey and Greek yogurt go very well together.
lengua tacos :). Sushi/sashimi. My current fave is whitefish. Carrot juice.

Turtle,

Thank you. 8>].

When you say dissolve the honey in water, do you mean simply mix and stir? If it is heated, it will hurt the enzyme content.

Ghee is great. At times, I have used too much in the past. I have been practicing much better moderation and am giving it another go.

How long would you say to wait after the teaspoon of ghee?

Bagua,

Does league come highly recommended?

I'm going vegetarian again, but there is a perfect Mexican place with friendly people and traditional food. Lengua is an option there. I don't know if I can do it. I imagine they are quite fatty and therefore high in flavor.

Pretty much just tastes like beef that's tender.

Not nearly as adventurous as some of the other taco fillings options ;).

There are limitless taco filling adventures to be had in this world.

On a side note,

I just purchased some ghee. It is from the brand purity farms. It does not say from grass fed cows, but it is organic, pasture raised, lactose and casein free. The previous ghee I had was from a very nice fellow that has an Indian supermarket just outside of boulder, Colorado. He knew the source for it and it is the source he uses.

I hope that this ghee is at least near the quality.

Edit:

Mexican food is definitely my comfort food. I try to rarely eat it, though.

The comfort food that I normally indulge in is coconut covered dates. It used to be nut butters on anything.

I just had some butter pecan gellato a few days ago. That was too decadent.

Edited by niveQ

You have just reminded me of burfi (sp?) YUM! Great for offerings too. The pistachio ones are my faves.

4.JPG

I must try this!

I love pistachio. The gellato I spoke of also comes in pistachio. Yum.

• Like 1

Turtle, Thank you. 8>]. When you say dissolve the honey in water, do you mean simply mix and stir? If it is heated, it will hurt the enzyme content. Ghee is great. At times, I have used too much in the past. I have been practicing much better moderation and am giving it another go. How long would you say to wait after the teaspoon of ghee?

Yes just mix and stir. Don't heat it...they say that actually makes it toxic, to heat honey in any way. Or that it releases toxins.

After the teaspoon wait until you're hungry. After a while, you can increase it to a half tablespoon. And then two teaspoons. And then a tablespoon. If you take it and you don't get hungry for quite a while (lets say an hour and a half), cut down because that means it's too much ghee and is extinguishing the agni. If it's the right amount you should get hungry within half an hour.

Think of it like a fire ceremony (homa). You wouldn't throw so much offering on there that it extinguishes the fire. You feed the fire.

• Like 1

Now this is a thread!

Spice. Curries (Indian, Thai, Malaysian) , piri piri etc :D

• Like 2

There is also chocolate layered barfi :) (and about 50 other flavors at the local indian bakery too!)

Never tried this.But I eat chocolate daily. I can't control myself. Might have to go off and make a bunch. See y'all in a week

• Like 2

boo hoo hoo :(

There are other sources of this sauce of the gods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

I buy it at a Chinese snack bar that gets it direct from Thailand.

I'm kind of going cold turkey (orcold rooster?) at the moment, though, because I haven't eaten anything that doesn't taste like Sriracha for a while now lol :-)

And habanero ...

Favorite food: mixed chopped vegetables in the frying pan with lots of olive oil, fresh seasonings, whatever inspires me at the moment, definitely something spicy, maybe some smoked salmon or shrimps tossed in there, with rice and Sriracha sauce on top :)

Side dish - mixed salad with chunks of camembert/moldy cheese

Desert of the season - Dresdner Christstollen

Topped off with an herbal bitter and a black esspresso

Gastronomical bliss

But, but, but, you can get homemade to die for hot sauce homemade at your local Vietnamese restaurants! Only about 1000x better than the chemically filled hot sauce :D.

Home-Made-Hot-Chilli-Oil.jpg

• Like 2

But, but, but, you can get homemade to die for hot sauce homemade at your local Vietnamese restaurants! Only about 1000x better than the chemically filled hot sauce :D.

Home-Made-Hot-Chilli-Oil.jpg

The hottest thing I've ever had was a hot Papaya salad from a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant. And I've had ghost pepper, habanero, etc.

• Like 1

Are you sure? I always get that chemical hangover feel whenever I use it???

Hmmmm, perhaps some spiced chicken with blue cheese is in order...

Well, if we're talking hot sauce, I have to advocate for my favorite:

Cholula Hot Sauce

The hottest thing I ever tasted was home made pickled vegetables that one of my father's Jamaican friends made. Unbelievablly hot, and he would eat them like it was nothing...

• Like 1

OK have my bottle of Sriracha here:

Chili, sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinagar, potassium sorbate, sodium bisulphate, xanthane gum.

LOL, yes I cheat on a few things, and you will note that I didn't list bottle hehe. This curry paste and I get along :). Most bottled stuff not so much. If I stick to organic etc. I'm good. Hey wait, which thread am I in?

• Like 1