Li Jiong

Secrets of Universe

Can you please explain why Daoism ultimately fails to lead one out of samsara?

And may I ask, is that statement rooted in your own realization or in theory?

my 2 cents is that don't take it too seriously; if the sages of old couldn't come to an agreement on whats the fastest method to enlightenment i doubt you'll find the answer here. we all have our karma and our destiny, what works for you might not work for me.

As you can see, Buddhism doesn't totally deny the existence of a personality. It only tries to show that it does not exist in an ultimate sense. The Buddhist term for an individual is santana, a flux or a continuity. It includes the mental and physical elements as well. The karmic force of each individual binds the elements together. This uninterrupted flux or continuity of psycho-physical phenomenon -which is conditioned by karma, and not limited only to the present life, but having its source in the beginningless past and its continuation in the future- is the Buddhist substitute for the permanent ego or the immortal soul of other religions.

thank you durkhrod chogori for your explanations

so each of us is an individual 'stream' of consciousness that experience life in all realms of Samsara in its evolution. I just watched the movie Samsara (India 2001) and I am kind of influenced by it (Excellent and beautiful movie). Here is my question:

Why would someone want to exit Samsara without ever experiencing the upper realms (heavens)?

I understand that if you are in hell, you want to exit as quick as possible and the best world for a hell being is to advance in human realm but for a human being, why not experiencing first to be an immortal god and then to renounce at everything and enter Nirvana?

In the movie there is a riddle written into a stone: How can anyone stop a drop of water to evaporate?

The answer was written on the back of the stone: By throwing it into the sea.

Well even if this is a beautiful example of buddhist wisdom it is not conform to the reality. If you want to prevent a drop of water to dry up you froze it. This is reality, even in the oceans the droplets of water evaporates and lift high into the atmosphere and form clouds and freeze into snowflakes and fall down and create glaciers that survive geological eras. This is the answer of Taoism, if you want to prevent a thing to flow and disintegrate , you crystallize it. You create the Metal element, the alchemical Gold, the indestructible Diamond.

How immortal an immortal can be? The Taoists say that if you are an earth immortal, you live as long as earth, if you are an heavenly immortal, you live as long as heaven live. I understand the impermanence of things in Universe but still there is a big difference between living 100 years, 1000 years, 10000 years or one million years. I am talking about one single fully conscious and free chosen life.

This is my understanding

:)

_/\_

Lin,

I see. I guess Gautama's teachings were passed onto him by any of his predecessors, somehow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_28_Buddhas

Thanks anyway.

Walker,

It is hard to explain. Very hard, you must experience that yourself. I was a Chinese Taoist and a Tibetan Lama before (2 of my previous lives) and I know the differences amongst both spiritual practices, and have matured a lot since then. Personal experience is my answer. All the best.

steam,

Why would someone want to exit Samsara without ever experiencing the upper realms (heavens)?

Total happiness still brings suffering, when one of the devas you may be attached two evolves into another form once their karma is extinguished. Why would you want to experience that?

However you still can attain Nirvana in that state but that happiness is also hard to leave. Too luring.

Anyway, there are Buddhas teaching in those realms as well.

How immortal an immortal can be? The Taoists say that if you are an earth immortal, you live as long as earth, if you are an heavenly immortal, you live as long as heaven live. I understand the impermanence of things in Universe but still there is a big difference between living 100 years, 1000 years, 10000 years or one million years. I am talking about one single fully conscious and free chosen life.

Then you will create an "ego" which will turn you into a God. Hence you are still in Samsara. And regardless how indestructible and hard the diamond is it still will be subjected to "anicca" (impermanence). Your karmic consciousness will change and still cause of suffering as everything changes around you as well.

Why would you still want to live in Samsara?

All that energy to remain as an eternal God? I think Nirvana is a better state of being as non-being. Free of the system that keeps you imprisoned.

Lin,

I see. I guess Gautama's teachings were passed onto him by any of his predecessors, somehow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_28_Buddhas

All of the Buddha Dharma isn't a fixed teaching. The words used to speak the Sutras that we have in our world, are different from the words of the Sutras spoken in different worlds. What remains is the wisdom teaching through cultivation of the methods in the Sutras. That never changes.

So Shakyamuni Buddha, before manifesting as Shakyamuni Buddha, would be cultivating with the Dharma spoken by othe Buddhas. Once he attains his enlightenment, the Dharma the other Buddhas spoke would be no different than his own mind, and the other Buddhas would not be other Buddhas. It would be the same wisdom mind, yet different wording for this world and the conditions of the minds of the world.

There is a saying in Buddhism, in Chinese its; Fo Fa Bu Bian. The Buddha Dharma is never changing.

That doesn't mean the expedients never change, and that the Buddha Dharma can not adapt; It means

the underlying teachings that lie within the expedients are Thus, and the Thus nature of our original mind never changes. The teachings direct one to their true nature. That nature never changes, and of course never not changes. The Buddha Dharma here, would be that which is non-dual, neither coming or going. That is what never changes, but the expedients do change due to the causes and conditions of the world.

Wikipedia is surprising me..lol

Peace,

Lin

It is hard to explain. Very hard, you must experience that yourself. I was a Chinese Taoist and a Tibetan Lama before (2 of my previous lives) and I know the differences amongst both spiritual practices, and have matured a lot since then. Personal experience is my answer. All the best.

Well, I think that is a fair answer. Thank you.

I thank you too for that. Just must add that different people experience different things. They are on different development stages. They have to choose by themselves, and they have to create something to remember and then to decide what to forget.

Maybe the best job someone can have is to be a Buddha preaching to the gods in heavens. :rolleyes:

That doesn't mean the expedients never change, and that the Buddha Dharma can not adapt; It means

the underlying teachings that lie within the expedients are Thus, and the Thus nature of our original mind never changes. The teachings direct one to their true nature. That nature never changes, and of course never not changes. The Buddha Dharma here, would be that which is non-dual, neither coming or going. That is what never changes, but the expedients do change due to the causes and conditions of the world.

Peace,

Lin

just to add (if i may)

"When the Buddha spoke Dharma and taught people according to their

needs, he was like a physician dispensing the right medicine to each

patient. Therefore, one cannot say of any

part of his teachings that they are right or wrong per se".

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~

Quotes from the Venerable Master Hsuan Hua

I thank you too for that. Just must add that different people experience different things. They are on different development stages. They have to choose by themselves, and they have to create something to remember and then to decide what to forget.

Maybe the best job someone can have is to be a Buddha preaching to the gods in heavens. :rolleyes:

Teach those who have fate with the Dharma. Even in the heavens there are lazy beings! haha

just to add (if i may)

"When the Buddha spoke Dharma and taught people according to their

needs, he was like a physician dispensing the right medicine to each

patient. Therefore, one cannot say of any

part of his teachings that they are right or wrong per se".

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~

Quotes from the Venerable Master Hsuan Hua

Oh you just added the wonderful flavor to the pudding! hahaha Wonderful addition!

Master Hua is so on point!

Brother Lin,

Tao Bless you man! That's all I need to say. Oh, yeah. I need to add this as well... You are right on every level and one who attains need not to talk. Teaching no talking. Cultivation is within not without. It is for ourselves to cultivate our Tao or Buddhahood.

We need not to play a game with charlatans. We don't need to give up our own power to someone or something that does not share the same air and nature we breathe.

Thanks for your comments on Li Jiong. This person will never wake up from his dream.

Wudangspirit

Nice. Very nice. Yes, it is a me that wrote many words..really? How much more word play is

going to be used.

Directly expounding the teachings, living beings remain confused. In the confusion they claim others to be confused.

Looking through dust, one sees dust.

When will living beings just stop looking through?

Peace,

Lin

One must master him/herself first in order to master others. then once he/she master's themselve they will give up the need to master others. That takes loving and forgiving yourself first. Heal yourself first Li Jiong and Tao Bless you.

So glad to hear that you haven't learned any secrets of the universe from this topic, I just want to help saveable ones, I am not interested in enlightening someone beyond redemption.

Brother Lin,

Tao Bless you man! That's all I need to say. Oh, yeah. I need to add this as well... You are right on every level and one who attains need not to talk. Teaching no talking. Cultivation is within not without. It is for ourselves to cultivate our Tao or Buddhahood.

We need not to play a game with charlatans. We don't need to give up our own power to someone or something that does not share the same air and nature we breathe.

Thanks for your comments on Li Jiong. This person will never wake up from his dream.

Wudangspirit

Amituofo!

You know there is a Dao for every culture; African, Caribbean, European, etc. They all have their principles, ,and they all have their light and dark. Truth of the matter is after all the wrestling with light and dark, there is only that which the light and dark arise from, reside in, and not arise from and not reside in.

There is a form on if he shold be banned. I don't believe cutting people out would be good, but openly debating with respect should be encouraged.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin