mewtwo

How to manipulate or control chi?

I was told that if I do my taichi routine at least once a day everyday I will begain to feel chi and if I continue to do this I will be able to control it. Is this true? Cause I believe I already can feel the chi and can control it alittle.

Then I went to a Dr. sheehan to learn bagua and xingyi. He said I was doing my form wrong. Will I still feel the chi and be able to control it if I am not doing it correctly?

The reason I think I can control chi is cause it can do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Wp1RCfuBI

The way chi feels to my is a warm sensation in my palms.

Here is Dr. Sheehan website.

http://www.cwarnis.com/

I feel that I would like to share with you guys that I have aspergers syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers

Edited by mewtwo

I was told that if I do my taichi routine at least once a day everyday I will begain to feel chi and if I continue to do this I will be able to control it. Is this true? Cause I believe I already can feel the chi and can control it alittle.

The problem is that you are trying to drive a car sitting backwards. You can do all the tai chi, qi gong, meditation, in the world BUT if your orientation is wrong, you'll just crash.

You cannot control chi. You guide it. This is a huge perceptual issue. It may not sound big... BUT just go and TRY to make a flower grow. You will kill it. Instead, you water and prune it. Same with chi. Chi is not a thing... chi is a current / flow. If you treat it like a thing you can control, then as quantum physics explains, it becomes a dense particle. If you train and cultivate (gong) chi (qi). This it will flow through you smoothly. A.S. is precisely caused by unsteady blocked chi flow.

Then I went to a Dr. sheehan to learn bagua and xingyi. He said I was doing my form wrong. Will I still feel the chi and be able to control it if I am not doing it correctly?

Here is Dr. Sheehan website.

http://www.cwarnis.com/

I can guarantee that not a single person on this discussion group is doing their taijiquan form "right". :D

No matter how often you do it, it is constantly changing and you should be learning more and more.

People often get funny feeling in their hands and other parts of their body when they start doing taijiquan. IMHO, a better indication of how you are doing is whether or not your tailbone has unfused and the cartilage in your chest has decalcified. When the former happens you usually hear a loud crack and you can feel it breaking free. With the latter, your chest goes through about a month or so of sounding like you are breaking a bundle of dry sticks over your knee every time you flex it.

Hi Ian, of the Dao :)

May i ask what you mean with "direction"? Do you mean east, west, north, south, and the coordinates inbetween and etc, or do you mean something else?

Thanks

innergy

The problem is that you are trying to drive a car sitting backwards. You can do all the tai chi, qi gong, meditation, in the world BUT if your orientation is wrong, you'll just crash.

i'm glad you shared that last part. just in case it was something you were worried about, i have a friend who's an 'aspy' as she would put it. she's not exactly a student of mine because she lives in the UK and we almost NEVER see each other, but she definitely has the capacity for it. in fact, i would say that her ability to focus is so acute that it almost scares me what she might be able to achieve in the internal arts. ;) she's a brilliant artist/illustrator.

if you can do that chopstick thing, AND you're still unsure about whether you're actually feeling or directing qi, *I* think you just proved that what the guy is doing with the chopsticks in the video really doesn't have to have anything to do with qi! :lol:

if you're doing some of your forms badly, then enjoy doing them badly. it's important that you enjoy yourself and not be in a rush. you might be surprised at what you can achieve when you do things the 'wrong' way. ;) just keep learning and relax into your process. you're gonna have a tough time building qi in your body if you're worried or tense or stressed about your technique all the time.

so YES, you can still build qi by doing your forms poorly. people who take up tai chi because of health problems aren't known for having great technique, but they are still getting some benefit of the practice. so you might not be a very good martial artist with it, but certainly you can open up your energy gates and get the qi flowing.

try not to attach to any dogma that says 'you HAVE TO do it this way'. if you're relaxed, breathing deep & slow, stretching & loosening the limbs on a regular basis, moving around through different forms, and keeping your attention on your movements and how you feel, you will eventually get some energy flowing.

here's a clip of grandmaster wong of shaolin wahnam. just look at him and listen to his voice. he's so relaxed, filled with peace and joy. compare his energy to the erratic, agitated energy of the host. :) that host is losing energy with every breath. his tenseness is like an energetic bloodletting.

it really is important to relax and have fun. try not to take your movements so seriously.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  • Like 1

Hi,

It takes about 10 years of practicing a tai chi form to begin to understand it. If you practice standing meditation, about 100 hours of standing to get the basics developed. The best way to learn is not to worry about if you are cultivating anything, but to relax and enjoy it. Practicing tai chi is a form of qigong and you will naturally cultivate your chi. It's also best to have a teacher who will correct your form and help you to make adjustments. Dr. Sheehan teaches mostly Arnis, which comes from the Phillipines and is a kick ass martial art.

The chopstick skill has nothing to do with chi.

Feeling your hands warm up has been considered a way to detect chi flow in the beginning. It really has more to do with the friction of blood flow... There are no shortcuts to learning this, you have to develop at one incremental step at a time. Yes, there are specific techniques used to manipulate chi once you have made the proper connections and cultivation, but if I told you them, they would kill me.

Edited by guangping

You don't "control" qi, qi is the life force that animates YOU.

My suggestion is to just practice and don't worry about it. Everyone has a different level of sensation of qi. It runs from the spectrum of "can't feel a thing" to being knocked over by it.

You may find that martial art understanding of qi and the medical qigong understanding of qi differ quite a bit.

So, if you really want to fully understand qi, keep practicing your tai chi and Hsing I AND add an internal qigong cultivation method.

It is certainly possible to feel and control the awareness of Qi using the intention, Yi. This is the foundation training of Daoist meditation methods.

It is also possible to fool yourself about this. If you're serious, I'd suggest that you seek out someone with experience in teaching Daoist meditation.

Edited by xuesheng

Intent, relaxation, and practice. I can sometimes feel the fieldaround my body when I'm relaxed in meditation. It moves with my breath. :)

Energy follows thought. You can direct energy with your mind.

And it will always be limited to the linear time-oriented thought process if done in this manner. Some forms of qigong do not use this method.

I can guarantee that not a single person on this discussion group is doing their taijiquan form "right". :D

No matter how often you do it, it is constantly changing and you should be learning more and more.

People often get funny feeling in their hands and other parts of their body when they start doing taijiquan. IMHO, a better indication of how you are doing is whether or not your tailbone has unfused and the cartilage in your chest has decalcified. When the former happens you usually hear a loud crack and you can feel it breaking free. With the latter, your chest goes through about a month or so of sounding like you are breaking a bundle of dry sticks over your knee every time you flex it.

Have you heard about the atlas bone too?

http://www.consciousmedianetwork.com/members/mhane.htm

You cannot control chi. You guide it. This is a huge perceptual issue. It may not sound big... BUT just go and TRY to make a flower grow. You will kill it. Instead, you water and prune it. Same with chi. Chi is not a thing... chi is a current / flow. If you treat it like a thing you can control, then as quantum physics explains, it becomes a dense particle. If you train and cultivate (gong) chi (qi). This it will flow through you smoothly. A.S. is precisely caused by unsteady blocked chi flow.

There is something i can not put to words yet, but it's something like "not trying" but "doing to be it" (without thinking about it and also to enjoy everything about and around it)

I have Aperger's and have sons also so formed.

We all did Chitoryu and gained the beginning of awareness of our own Chi. I found that if I did not think of it but allowed it to be, it came to me until I thought about it. Then it disappeared. I have to tell you it was of immense help to not only the adult me but to my young children. I believe it helped them win through some difficult times.

I knew it was near when we sparred after meditation and stretching. If I did not think, my face slackended and I entered a mentally and spiritually relaxed state. My hands moved where they could not before, faster and with just the right touch to block and deflect. I will now attempt to recapture that in Tai Chi. It may take time but the reward is almost nirvana, as Chi reinforces calm repose and acceptance of the Way.