Lois

The power of Russian love

Posted (edited)

There are a lot of interesting things to do in the West, but they are losing to the Russians in the power of love. Look how Russians love it

Edited by Lois
  • Like 1

I find this topic "interesting" since my ex was Russian lol. I can tell you all about how Russian's "love" haha. 

23 minutes ago, Maddie said:

I find this topic "interesting" since my ex was Russian lol. I can tell you all about how Russian's "love" haha. 

If you take their head off is there a smaller one inside?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Apech said:

If you take their head off is there a smaller one inside?

If you take a Russian man's pants off .....

there is a smaller one inside . A Russian man flashed at my girl friend once ..... she pointed and said " Oh look, that looks just like a penis.... only smaller . "

• Haha 3

Favorite russian quotation.

"Never forget the titanic was designed and engineered by university graduates and professionals."

"While Noah's Ark was built by rank amateurs."

• Like 1

Looking at some of the comments made me wonder if we should add to the rules about no bias based on race, sex, gender, religion, nationality, etc.. an amendment: "except for Russians, obviously."  

Just to make sure that anyone in need of insulting particular groups or individuals toward establishing their own superiority is reassured that their needs will be met and they will be provided with a legitimate officially approved target -- since so many former untermensch categories are now off limits to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Looking at some of the comments made me wonder if we should add to the rules about no bias based on race, sex, gender, religion, nationality, etc.. an amendment: "except for Russians, obviously."  

Just to make sure that anyone in need of insulting particular groups or individuals toward establishing their own superiority is reassured that their needs will be met and they will be provided with a legitimate officially approved target -- since so many former untermensch categories are now off limits to them.

Great idea!  There are so many places where one treads carefully -- the entire current events section, recent transgender thread, etc -- so it´s nice to know there´s still someplace where we can let it all hang out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

Great idea!  There are so many places where one treads carefully -- the entire current events section, recent transgender thread, etc -- so it´s nice to know there´s still someplace where we can let it all hang out.

Yup.  Especially considering that it's not some fleeting trend, it's a reliable, solid tradition that's a no brainer to embrace.  To illustrate how hoary and respectable it is, here, e.g., is a popular depiction of a Russian from a very successful 19th century American magazine of "humorous" cartoons:

car-12-456x700.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder why.  Maybe people are defending against their own insecurities with put-downs?  I´ve never been to Russia and know next to zilch about Russian culture but the stereotypes in my mind are of people with extreme abilities -- great gymnasts, brilliant nuclear scientists, etc.  I´m sure that can´t be universally correct.  It would be reassuring to know that there are Russians of average intelligence and athleticism -- surely there are thousands! -- but alas, you are not helping in that department.  ^_^

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Yup.  Especially considering that it's not some fleeting trend, it's a reliable, solid tradition that's a no brainer to embrace.  To illustrate how hoary and respectable it is, here, e.g., is a popular depiction of a Russian from a very successful 19th century American magazine of "humorous" cartoons:

car-12-456x700.jpg

We have some ‘Ukrainian’ refugees in the village now - they bought a house and have been very industrious in repairing the house and garden.  Then someone noticed that they were speaking Russian and not Ukrainian and when asked they said they supported Putin.  So it’s a funny old world.  They are extremely friendly and good neighbours.  

I realize this is irrelevant but I just thought I’d mention it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I wonder why.  

"Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia." 

24 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Maybe people are defending against their own insecurities with put-downs?  I´ve never been to Russia and know next to zilch about Russian culture but the stereotypes in my mind are of people with extreme abilities -- great gymnasts, brilliant nuclear scientists, etc.  I´m sure that can´t be universally correct.  It would be reassuring to know that there are Russians of average intelligence and athleticism -- surely there are thousands! -- but alas, you are not helping in that department.  ^_^

Russians can be pretty horrible too.  Really horrible.  I could say the same thing about any other people.  

I think the advantages and disadvantages in the way Russians are perceived, aside from political manipulations, stem from the fact that Russia is, historically/culturally, not part of the West and not part of the East ("between East and West and neither") yet has been avidly absorbing stuff from both for centuries and, in its turn, returning influence both ways.  A spectrum of consequences, from multicultural allegiances to multiple identity crises, is inevitable.  

Here's an episode from a near and dear's biography to illustrate some of the contradictions.  One dark, bitterly cold evening I got a phone call from him, which turned out to be that one call someone is allowed to make upon having been arrested.  So, he was arrested in Manhattan for stealing a book from Barnes and Noble.  It was a book on quantum dynamics, for professionals in the field.  He slipped it under his coat and got caught.  Not that he couldn't afford that book, he was a VP at a major bank at the time.  But he found the price appalling.  It was something like $60.  He thought it was unfair to charge so much for scientific curiosity.  The whole episode is very Russian.  

Thanks for the funny way you made me blush, by the way :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Looking at some of the comments made ME wonder if they are a jibe at the OP because he posted

" the West, but they are losing to the Russians in the power of love."

I would have said the same to an American , am Irishman or a Chatham Islander made the same claim  about THEIR nationality .

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Here's an episode from a near and dear's biography to illustrate some of the contradictions.  One dark, bitterly cold evening I got a phone call from him, which turned out to be that one call someone is allowed to make upon having been arrested.  So, he was arrested in Manhattan for stealing a book from Barnes and Noble.  It was a book on quantum dynamics, for professionals in the field.  He slipped it under his coat and got caught.  Not that he couldn't afford that book, he was a VP at a major bank at the time.  But he found the price appalling.  It was something like $60.  He thought it was unfair to charge so much for scientific curiosity.  The whole episode is very Russian.  

That´s hilarious.  Needless to say, it would never occur to me to steal a book on quantum dynamics.  I was born in Los Angeles where we steal - what? -- maybe surfer magazines.  I did however have a math fetish as a preadolescent.  It wasn´t so much that I understood complex mathematics, I was just fascinated by all the squiggles and fancy notation.  I remember a librarian who was not amused when, at the age of about 12, I went to check out a book on vector calculus.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

car-12-456x700.jpg

Oh good, let's play 19th century racism ;

I will see you and raise you with this ;

1680.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3fd2e25407d8e905a439ae583a6672ca3a9e6cdb66f9ce529854280bab06c137&ipo=images

1 hour ago, Apech said:

We have some ‘Ukrainian’ refugees in the village now - they bought a house and have been very industrious in repairing the house and garden.  Then someone noticed that they were speaking Russian and not Ukrainian and when asked they said they supported Putin.  So it’s a funny old world.  They are extremely friendly and good neighbours.  

So ..... they are  ....

'Putin in a garden ? '

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

That´s hilarious.  Needless to say, it would never occured to me to steal a book on quantum dynamics.  I was born in Los Angeles where we steal - what? -- maybe surfer magazines.  I did however have a math fetish as a preadolescent.  It wasn´t so much that I understood complex mathematics, I was just fascinated by all the squiggles and fancy notation.  I remember a librarian who was not amused when, at the age of about 12, I went to check out a book on vector calculus.

Did the book fall open at the best  vector calculations ? 

1 minute ago, Nungali said:

It did!  A few years later I went on to being fascinated with food.  Oh how delighted I was to purchase a magazine with all the menus from Sacramento´s fancy eateries.  Restaurant food has proved the more enduring obsession.  

24 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

"Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia." 

Whose quote is that ?  And I wonder why they said it and what it means ?

24 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Russians can be pretty horrible too.  Really horrible.  I could say the same thing about any other people.  

Indeed 'the human animal' is a ranting, raving, psychopathic, totally insane, violent  accident that happened .... well, generally .

I think the advantages and disadvantages in the way Russians are perceived, aside from political manipulations, stem from the fact that Russia is, historically/culturally, not part of the West and not part of the East ("between East and West and neither") yet has been avidly absorbing stuff from both for centuries and, in its turn, returning influence both ways.  A spectrum of consequences, from multicultural allegiances to multiple identity crises, is inevitable.  

Probably, but not for me . I learn about what Russians are like by reading Lois' updates . I give him the credit of being a perfectly normal , sensible ......  Russian .

He should have pointed out to security " Ah yes, but after x amount of time, the book may not be under my coat at all ."

3 hours ago, Apech said:

Probably people from Eastern Ukraine, overwhelmingly speaking Russian as their first (and often only) language and culturally (as well as ethnically) indistinguishable from Russians (unless they belong to one of the 100+  minorities also living there.)  I seem to recall you posted a video at one point where someone British attempted to explain the real history of Ukraine.  I didn't watch it all but the bits and pieces that I did see seemed on point.  Nothing is as straightforward there as the official narrative has led most people to believe.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

Whose quote is that ?  And I wonder why they said it and what it means ?

George Orwell, "1984."  It was the rationale offered for perpetual wars between the three major superpowers owning the world -- Oceania, Eurasia, and Eastasia.  

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2024 at 5:20 AM, Sanity Check said:

While Noah's Ark was built by rank amateurs."

of course. thats the only thing rank amateurs can build - cultish fiction

On 5/4/2024 at 5:20 AM, Sanity Check said:

Favorite russian quotation."Never forget the titanic was designed and engineered by university graduates and professionals."

somebody remind the russians the Titanic was superbly designed as evidenced by her sister ship sailing for 24 years just fine. The Titanic's capitan on the other hand had no formal education.

That same year Smith declared in an interview that he could not "imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."[20]

7 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Probably people from Eastern Ukraine, overwhelmingly speaking Russian as their first (and often only) language and culturally (as well as ethnically) indistinguishable from Russians (unless they belong to one of the 100+  minorities also living there.)  I seem to recall you posted a video at one point where someone British attempted to explain the real history of Ukraine.  I didn't watch it all but the bits and pieces that I did see seemed on point.  Nothing is as straightforward there as the official narrative has led most people to believe.    

They were displaced when the dam was blown up at the beginning of what was supposed to be the ‘counter offensive’ last summer.

• Like 1

Given that there are so many martial arts practitioners here.

How do people feel about Putin holding black belts in judo, karate and tae kwon do?

If more world leaders trained in martial arts, perhaps there would be fewer wars is one thought I have had.

11 hours ago, Nungali said:

12 hours ago, Nungali said:

Oh good, let's play 19th century racism ;

I will see you and raise you with this ;

1680.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3fd2e25407d8e905a439ae583a6672ca3a9e6cdb66f9ce529854280bab06c137&ipo=images

And I will counter with, 

it's NOT OK anymore in the 21st century to casually insult people of color in the style of the 19th century.  Toward Russians it is STILL OK and encouraged and pretty much unchanged.       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1