Maddie

Transgender Q&A

Just now, Salvijus said:

To fit their identity. But it is not the change of identity that is happening. It is the change of appearance that is happening. The identity is the same before and after. 

Why don't you go about your day dressed up as a woman?

Male to female transappearance is when a person whose deep down sense of themselves is male appears as a woman.

Male to female transgenderism is when a person whose deep down sense of themselves is female -- despite being born with male anatomy -- appears as a woman.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I looked Jana Drakka up and found this video especially inspiring...

Thanks for digging that up. Good times. She was a firecracker! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

Male to female transappearance is when a person whose deep down sense of themselves is male appears as a woman.

Male to female transgenderism is when a person whose deep down sense of themselves is female -- despite being born with male anatomy -- appears as a woman.

Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Here's another way to look at this the Buddha listed five aggregates that we identify with. The first of them is form which correlates with the physical body. Since the first thing the Buddha said that we identify with is the physical body then it would not be realistic to assume that it's not a factor in our identity.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Maddie said:

The worst transphobe I ever faced in my life was the one within.

the two stupidest groups of people on the planet are transphobes and trans eggs—for the same reason

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, surrogate corpse said:

the two stupidest groups of people on the planet are transphobes and trans eggs—for the same reason

omg yes! I'm on another platform where I talk to eggs and of course I'm kind and patient but in my head I constantly think "did I sound this cringe when I was an egg?!" all the time now. lol 

17 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Back when I was a guy, I looked like a guy, I dressed like a guy, and I tried my best to act like a guy. At the time I also dated women because that is what I thought I was supposed to be doing. In spite of me looking like a guy the feedback I got from women that I dated consistently was "you don't act like any other guy I've ever dated" and when I asked further it was always the same answer "its like talking to a woman, you get me". lol. You can't "dress that up" :P

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

But the second part makes no sense to me still. 

If you feel like a female inside and you changed your body to look like a female. You did not transform your identity. You transformed your body. 

It was a change on the level of the body. On the level of the identity everything remained the same. So it's transappearance, not transidentity. 

Edited by Salvijus
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Maddie said:

Here's another way to look at this the Buddha listed five aggregates that we identify with. The first of them is form which correlates with the physical body. Since the first thing the Buddha said that we identify with is the physical body then it would not be realistic to assume that it's not a factor in our identity.

So we can manipulate our identity to a certain extent by changing the appearance of the body. Hehe. Okay. That was your first decent argument on this that I would find logical :D

Edited by Salvijus

Just now, Salvijus said:

So we can manipulate our identity to a certain e,extent by changing the appearance of the body. Hehe. Okay. That was your first decent argument on this :D

Wasn't my point but I'm going to take the compliment lol 

2 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

So we can manipulate our identity to a certain e,extent by changing the appearance of the body. Hehe. Okay. That was your first decent argument on this :D

It's actually the other way around

1 minute ago, Maddie said:

It's actually the other way around

That our identity is influencing the appearance of the body was your point? 

Just now, Salvijus said:

That our identity is influencing the appearance of the body was your point? 

Let me ask you a question? Do you dress in women's clothing when you go out usually? If you don't, then why not?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Maddie said:

Let me ask you a question? Do you dress in women's clothing when you go out usually? If you don't, then why not?

Because I happen to have a different kind of identity. 

What was I supposed to realize by this?

Edited by Salvijus

Just now, Salvijus said:

Because I happen to have a different kind of identity. 

What was I supposed to realize by this?

That you have an identity and it informs the way you dress.

Posted (edited)

When I dressed up as a woman for Halloween, I was putting on a costume.  It was fun but not soul-shaking.  I could just as easily have decided to dress up as a chocolate sundae or Bill Gates.  

My understanding (and people can correct me if I´m wrong) is that when a transgender person transitions their entire being comes into alignment.  It´s a phase shift.  Imagine you are trying to complete a puzzle and you keep trying to force a piece to fit where it doesn´t fit -- and then finally you get it and the piece slides easily into the slot it was always meant to go.

Edited by liminal_luke

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Maddie said:

That you have an identity and it informs the way you dress.

But I already sayed that 100 times :D

We make our appearance to fit our identity. But there is no transformation happening on the level of identity. Transformation is happening only on the level of body appearance. So technically it's transappearance. Not transidentity. 

At least that makes sense to me. 

Edited by Salvijus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

My understanding (and people can correct me if I´m wrong) is that when a transgender person transitions their entire being shifts.  It´s a phase shift.  Imagine you are trying to complete a puzzle and you keep trying to force a piece to fit where it doesn´t fit -- and then finally you get it and the piece slides easily into the slot it was always meant to go

If I sayed. Their entire being remains the same. But now the body is much more in alignment with how they feel. Would that still be logical for you? And if so. Where did the change occur. On the level of the body or on the level of their being? 

If change happens on the level of the body. Should it be called transbody or transidentity? 

This discussion is like a math problem that doesn´t have an answer.  Genius-level folks instantly see it´s a trap and put down their pencil.  Unfortunately, I´m no genius.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

This discussion is like a math problem that doesn´t have an answer.  Genius-level folks instantly see it´s a trap and put down their pencil.  Unfortunately, I´m no genius.  

Just focus on this one sentence. If change happen on the level of body and identity remained intact. Should it be called transbody appearance or transidentity? It's not that hard question imo. 

Or another simple question would be. 

Why would you call it transidentity if no change happens on the level of identity? 

3 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Just focus on this one sentence. If change happen on the level of body and identity remained intact. Should it be called transbody appearance or transidentity? It's not that hard question imo. 

Or another simple question would be. 

Why would you call it transidentity if no change happens on the level of identity? 

What is it that does the identifying?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Apech said:

What is it that does the identifying?

Damn. 

I would say personal identity is the consequence of some distorted perception of reality. When perception of reality becomes clean and true. Identity becomes God, oneness, emptyness etc. 

Edited by Salvijus

4 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Damn. 

I would say identity is the consequence of some distorted perception of reality. When perception of reality becomes clean and true. Identity becomes God, oneness, emptyness etc. 

That’s a nice bit of waffle.

👍

• Haha 2