dwai

Arrested Development and Martial Artists

There is an interesting phenomenon where people react in an immature manner to someone who they disagree with. I was reading a post on FB of a relatively famous IMA/Neigong teacher who said he regularly gets death threats toward  himself and his family simply because he teaches something that his detractors don't agree with. Mostly, the culprits are martial artists (or that's the sense i got from the post). 

I wonder if this is a case of arrested development of the intellect/psyche of these so-called martial artists (many are probably middle-aged or older)? Maybe they have unresolved trauma from their formative years that has prevented them from developing wisdom and kindness towards others. I can understand not agreeing with someone, but to threaten them with death and violence because of said disagreement is juvenile (if not criminal).

• Like 1

Being heavily self identified with the in question practice can lead to seeing those deviating from the practice to be an assault on the sense of self. 

It is a massive attack to their own ego and they defend themselves like one would an attacker coming to steal something from them.

If they were not heavily self identified with the practice they would not care. 

• Like 3

I think the roots are a bit deeper @idiot_stimpy

most likely, these people have unresolved trauma from being bullied or feeling unsafe, and that's why they latch on to their practice. And that's why they have such juvenile reactions when their belief systems are threatened. 

Is this kind of thing especially prevalent in martial arts circles or a feature of our age generally?  I see people getting bent out of shape all the time (myself occasionally included), especially online.  Different politics, different religious beliefs, different hairstyles....whatever the topic, it seems we humans can devise an ingroup and an outgroup and judge the outies.  Some people even get distraught over nondualism.  :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

Is this kind of thing especially prevalent in martial arts circles or a feature of our age generally?  I see people getting bent out of shape all the time (myself occasionally included), especially online.  Different politics, different religious beliefs, different hairstyles....whatever the topic, it seems we humans can devise an ingroup and an outgroup and judge the outies.  Some people even get distraught over nondualism.  :ph34r:

Yeah, binary logic is very reassuring. Imagine not having the ground to push off of. The opposite is a very natural, instinctive option for us. Us vs. Them, in-group vs. out-group, Blue vs. Red, all symptoms of a mental disease that get exacerbated every time we resort to this kind of mentation. 

• Like 3

The light gets attacked by the dark all the time. There is no choice involved. 

If one has the awareness one can stop the attack and progress to a higher level of peace. 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 1:53 AM, liminal_luke said:

Thats what I like about you Luke, so accepting .

Would you like to accompany me to the annual  Neo-nazi,  Aztec sacrifice , hipster man bun rally  ? 

On 3/7/2024 at 9:23 AM, dwai said:

There is an interesting phenomenon where people react in an immature manner to someone who they disagree with. I was reading a post on FB of a relatively famous IMA/Neigong teacher who said he regularly gets death threats toward  himself and his family simply because he teaches something that his detractors don't agree with. Mostly, the culprits are martial artists (or that's the sense i got from the post). 

I wonder if this is a case of arrested development of the intellect/psyche of these so-called martial artists (many are probably middle-aged or older)? Maybe they have unresolved trauma from their formative years that has prevented them from developing wisdom and kindness towards others. I can understand not agreeing with someone, but to threaten them with death and violence because of said disagreement is juvenile (if not criminal).

Ha!   I am a martial artists and ' a relatively famous IMA/Neigong teacher ',  here on Daobums,  once threatened to kill me with his 'iron palm strike ' to the heart .... in fact he said he would 'delight in doing it ' .

I recently heard (here ) that he has died of a heart attack .

One needs to be careful of what one puts out  'onto the astral '  .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Thats what I like about you Luke, so accepting .

Would you like to accompany me to the annual  Neo-nazi,  Aztec sacrifice , hipster man bun rally  ? 

Thanks but I´ll pass.  I´ve been so many times already and once you´ve seen one fair maiden thrown into the ritual firepit you´ve seen them all.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

I recently heard (here ) that he has died of a heart attack

That is very sad. 

On 06/03/2024 at 10:23 PM, dwai said:

I've been involved in martial arts since I was a kid. As an adult, I can see clearly that the reason I was so drawn to it was because of insecurities. 

I was insecure about how well I measured up to other men. So I wanted to be physically stronger, tougher than others, and thereby less deficient. 

Now I'm an older and wiser, I'm comfortable in my own skin. I see other people without putting myself in the equation, and my natural inclination is toward helping. 

I find myself returning to martial arts purely as a fun way of keeping active and strong. But importantly, I don't care at all about fighting. 

Looking around at my peers involved in martial arts, I can still see some of the insecurity and immaturity that drove me to martial arts in the first place (although perhaps not as bad as me).

So yes, I feel like martial artists can sometimes be immature, awkward and not fully accepting of themselves, because I was like that too. So that can translate into being overly reactive, competitive and jealous. 

• Like 2

On 17.03.2024 at 12:27 AM, Nungali said:

Ha!   I am a martial artists and ' a relatively famous IMA/Neigong teacher ',  here on Daobums,  once threatened to kill me with his 'iron palm strike ' to the heart .... in fact he said he would 'delight in doing it ' .

One can only guess how much venom he injected to his students.

Also what an immature brat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elysium said:

One can only guess how much venom he injected to his students.

Also what an immature brat.

Indeed  !   I  felt to respond to this thread with that  to show how it is not just  martial artists being the bad guys against Neigong teachers .

In my case I was first attracted to Martial arts because I am a xenophile  and it seemed exotic and interesting . I am not interested in violence and fighting but have fascination in  tactics , strategy , movement , psychology , technique .

I get enjoyment from a rumble , maybe two or three against me , even with weapons . On this level, I feel a sense of accomplishment , If I can 'take' all their weapons , overpower their 'attacking intentions' and the result is -  no one got hurt .

I do admit that is a rare impetus for many martial artists though .