Elysium

Hello, and where do I start?

Hi all, greetings from Turkey.

I want to practice for my health, piece of mind, and strength. There is unfortunately, no place that offers practice in my city whatsoever.

So I will be doing it on my own but I am a bit clueless on the subject. Where do I start without falling into a rabbit hole?

Thank you in advance guys. :D

• Like 3

On 1/21/2024 at 3:47 AM, Elysium said:

So I will be doing it on my own but I am a bit clueless on the subject

Good! Good! Good! Another solo cultivator! If you'd like I could bestow upon you very good information. But before that you must request access to the mens garden subforum as if I say what I want to say. I will get banned. Or I can message you. 

It's in my opinion the foundation of the foundations of the path of cultivation!

• Like 1

On 21/01/2024 at 11:47 AM, Elysium said:

I want to practice for my health, piece of mind, and strength. There is unfortunately, no place that offers practice in my city whatsoever.

So I will be doing it on my own but I am a bit clueless on the subject. Where do I start without falling into a rabbit hole?

Hi! 

Which city are you based in?

• Like 1

welcome, you just made a good start by asking that question.

with a bit of luck some daobum can point you a direction.

It takes some good searching, maybe you will find someone that cam teach real life, not all of them advertise themselves.

Also nowadays there are several online possibilities

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Solo Cultivator said:

Good! Good! Good! Another solo cultivator! If you'd like I could bestow upon you very good information. But before that you must request access to the mens garden subforum as if I say what I want to say. I will get banned. 

However, if you bestow your very good information he would not be a solo cultivator...

N'est-ce pas?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, silent thunder said:

However, if you bestow your very good information he would not be a solo cultivator...

Fellow daoist you have mistaken my intentions. I would not have been his master.
He was asking for insights and I was willing to give him insights. 

Let me explain further, let's say you play an mmorpg. You play a solitary playstyle, a solo player, if you look up a guide or ask advice from others would that discount you as a solo player immediately? Until years later, playing that same mmorpg in a solitary manner, would he not still call himself a solo player?

You have mistaken solo cultivators as somone who builds from the ground up and forgoes every past shared enlightenments and knowledge. Let me tell you a solo cultivator is a loose cultivator, he or she may take or apply whatever they see fit without a master and do so with it as they seem fit with no guidelines.

Let me leave you with a proverb,

Like a lone bird soaring, the solo cultivator takes from the winds of freedom, shaping their own destiny without a guiding masters hand. In the the realm of the Dao, seeking insights does not tether but instead unfurls the wings for sovereignty! 

• Haha 1

One piece of advice is instead of looking for the bright shiny and foreign, look around at what's offered close by.  Meditation, tai chi, sufi, yoga, martial arts.. find out what's offered relatively close to you and observe a class.  Watch the teacher, talk to them after class, watch the students they are what you'll become if you choose to join.  

A great teacher who's close you can learn from, is worth more than a practice done far away you'd have to learn from a book.  Basics are basics.  Start.. you'll have a lifetime ahead of you to pick and choose, as you gain experience and fate shows you where to go.  

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum!! There are years worth of different topics here that you can dig through and research...That is what I usually do. Just pick somewhere and start. Before I joined this forum, I started with Hua-Ching Ni's books, they are still some of my favorites.

They keep saying that it's better to have a teacher, but in many cases that is just not possible. The only thing I could ask to teach me within a two hour drive is maybe my dog, and she eats poop. I'd imagine not very much of her advice is reliable. So...Books and video lessons it is.

-edit-

Ahh!! How could I forget!! Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche. He gives very good advice on meditation. I like him.

Edited by Unota
  • Like 2

Kind folk, thank you for all replies and greetings.

I have been looking around the forum for the last couple of days, there is SO much to unpack, wow.

Zhan Zhuang seemed good. I picked up "The Way of Energy". Also picked up "Richard Hittlemans Yoga". That one is for stretching. And doing calisthenics now.

I do not know how to quote people yet, sorry 😅 But I have read all of you. I am not in İstanbul, and I actually may pick up a Martial Art, it matches quite nice with the current goals I have. Again, many thanks you guys. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Elysium said:

Kind folk, thank you for all replies and greetings.

I have been looking around the forum for the last couple of days, there is SO much to unpack, wow.

Zhan Zhuang seemed good. I picked up "The Way of Energy". Also picked up "Richard Hittlemans Yoga". That one is for stretching. And doing calisthenics now.

I do not know how to quote people yet, sorry 😅 But I have read all of you. I am not in İstanbul, and I actually may pick up a Martial Art, it matches quite nice with the current goals I have. Again, many thanks you guys. :rolleyes:

Hope you end up finding what you are looking for! There is so much information on this site it can be overwhelming. Best thing to do is find a practice that sounds interesting to you and then talk with the members who follow it.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 5:47 AM, Elysium said:

Health - meditation called "The Microcosmic Orbit" - written about at length by Mantak Chia and other taoists. 

Peace of mind - Stillness meditation.  Just be still.  Don't allow anything to disturb you.  

Strength - Internal arts meditations, many kinds depending on what you want to strengthen. 

On 1/21/2024 at 3:47 AM, Elysium said:

You might want to get some ideas from here:
https://www.thedaobums.com/forum/635-chidragon/

I am glad to answer your questions if you have any!

Edited by ChiDragon