Partez

Tien Shan Taoist Internal Arts - Steve Gray

I would like to start a topic on this fascinating (to me) lineage.

I discovered Steve only recently, and started consuming his videos not being aware he had already passed, and luckily was able to check out his websites before they got shut down.

The practice he taught seemed solid to me, and had a uniqueness to other forms.

I'm almost certain his approach rubbed lots the wrong way, but I like his no BS attitude, even though I don't see him as infallible, or his forms the one true way (which, to be honest, what lineage doesn't profess to be)

I'd like to know any more insights about the man and the system from anybody who knows, maybe a student that went to study in person with him.

I'd also be very curious if he left behind any teachings beyond the level 8 video of his teach he post.

His YT: ( https://youtube.com/@TienShanTaoistInternalArts?si=WFfApZrskba47Tzw)

Edited by Partez
  • Like 1

Was he able to pass on the linage to someone like he wanted to, or is all we'll have left are the few videos.

23 minutes ago, Partez said:

Was he able to pass on the linage to someone like he wanted to …

I remember the link still worked soon after Steve died. It went to a site with a young man that was appointed by Steve as his lineage holder. But now the link doesn’t work anymore. 

Edited by Cobie

I am sorry to hear that Steve has passed away after five months. I remembered that he insulted me on my Sabre demo. Then, he appraised later on his site. I asked him why he insulted me in TDB. He told me that is how people behave in TDB. The last thing he did was asked me to translate Starjumper( 跳星人) for him in Chinese. 

RIP Steve

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Partez said:

Lucky we have the way back machine …

Nice one. Yes that was the site I saw (only the picture is gone now).

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:42 PM, Cobie said:

Nice one. Yes that was the site I saw (only the picture is gone now).

I tried contacting that guy, but have not yet received a response.

In one of the video interviews with Steve, he mentioned a couple fellow students of his who taught, but seems like they're no longer findable (at least via google). I guess we'll have to practice solo and assume that the dragons will take a liking to us and send us in a proper direction for advancement. 

Edited by qin00b
grammar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, qin00b said:

I tried contacting that guy, but have no response.

In one of the video interviews with Steve, he mentioned a couple fellow student of his who teach, but seems like they're no longer findable (at least via google). I guess we'll have to practice solo and assume that the dragons will take a liking to us and send us in a proper direction for advancement. 

sometimes, that's how it works anyways.

or,

you could go with one of the several available Tien Shan schools, here is a link to one

https://tienshanpai.org/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiDragon said:

Taiji is the way to go. What Steve was doing is nothing but some regular exercise in a gymnasium. He made it sound it is the greatest Chi Kung method in the world. Please keep this in mind. The fundamental basis of Chi Kung is in the abdominal breathing coordinated with slight muscle contraction of the arm and leg movements. Taiji fits exactly to this category. After continuous long practice will build up the energy in the body.

It will not cause heavy perspiration is the key to the Chi Kung practice. If is was done correctly, then, a little sweat may be on the forehead. It means the blood circulation was active and body heat was generated.

I would question that you are a qualified observer in Steve's knowledge and application of such.

You are projecting a story onto your experience of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

I would question that you are a qualified observer in Steve's knowledge and application of such.

You are projecting a story onto your experience of it.

How much do we know?

• Like 1

The videos of CD and steve both freely shared speak for themselves I think.  Anyone with moderate experience in the Arts can process that I expect.

But for CD to sit here now and spread bs about a dead man is rather beyond the pale. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

You can buy the videos here and learn yourself but I would just learn a system where the teacher and grandmaster are actually alive.

I've been practicing level 1 and am enjoying it. For some reason, one of the moves is not making its way into my muscle memory, so I've still got some more time before I can do it without the video as an aid and move on to level 2 (per his instructions). 

I get the point about having a living master. I'd prefer that, too. Going through his post history here, I can see why rubbed people the wrong way….For the time being, Steve's ghost is good enough for me. 

Edited by qin00b
  • Like 3