NaturaNaturans

Whats your purpose/meaning or life?

"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."  ~Hamlet (by way of Shakespeare)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Could the meaning of life be discovered in silence and mindfullness? Does anyone here feel that they have found it, or are we just flying on a rock in a massive universe?

7 minutes ago, Maddie said:

What if life has no objective meaning?

Strong postbiity, but then we are left with nihilism, and im not sure im strong enough to handle that. The few times ive truly felt a «purpose» is in romantic relationships. After my period of sickness however, i am more isolated then ever before.

• Sad 1

Come to think about it, im not sure i really understand what meaning acctually means. Like, from the perspective of man fish and deer are put in the «human food-categori.» 
I doubt fish and deer agree.

edit: fixing my uenglush (autocorrect messes it up somethime)

Edited by NaturaNaturans
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Can a  sense of meaning ever be objective?

Probably not which is specifically why I used the word objective.

Life can absolutely have subjective meaning but of course that would be the meaning that we give it ourselves.

meaning

/ˈmiːnɪŋ/

noun

what is meant by a word, text, concept, or action.

Edit:

purpose

/ˈpəːpəs/

noun

the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.

"the purpose of the meeting is to appoint a trustee"

Edited by NaturaNaturans

6 minutes ago, Maddie said:

Probably not which is specifically why I used the word objective.

Life can absolutely have subjective meaning but of course that would be the meaning that we give it ourselves.

Considering that everything is precievied, analyzed and interperted in our own mind, is anything at all objective, or is it just a dream?

31 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Considering that everything is precievied, analyzed and interperted in our own mind, is anything at all objective, or is it just a dream?

That's a good question. So based on my understanding of what the Buddha taught in regards to the five aggregates the first aggregate is form that is physical matter. The other four aggregates relate to the mind and how it perceives form. So I would say form or matter is objective and everything else relating to the mind is subjective.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Come to think about it, im not sure i really understand what meaning acctually means. Like, from the perspective of man fish and deer are put in the «human food-categori.» 
I doubt fish and deer agree.

edit: fixing my uenglush (autocorrect messes it up somethime)

yes. before I answer you question I need to know what you mean by ' meaning '   ? 

It just ..... IS  .   Enjoy   ;) 

Why are you here ?   Well, where else you going to be ? 

if you mean 'purpose'  what is our purpose in being here , my answer is  to be the ears eyes and body of '  the Gods', to experience , for them,  the material world and all its lessons and potential for development and advancement .  And primarily , the purpose of it all , in Zoroastrianism ,  even all the religious prescriptions and desired actions and realisations ,  is to  ....

have a good life

Think about that for a moment .... not to 'fear God'  not to 'alleviate suffering by never being born again  ,  not to serve , not to proselytize    but .... to have a good life .

But I get your point ... I remeber as a kid sitting through all that school and 

" What the hell am I doing here ? " 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqwNR9oZg3DZu4iXhB6NB

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

@Nungali is beehive the meaning of Life?

nah ... dont think a beehive is the meaning of life , unless you a ' be a bee '  .

Some might think 'behave' is the meaning  ... but not me     ;) 

Why do people masturbate. To orgasm and expand and experience love

So God was trying to experience orgasm, cummed, big bang happened, and now you're here. 

That's why when you experience union with existence you experience that the whole creation is just a giant cosmic orgasm

Edited by Salvijus

12 hours ago, Nungali said:

have a good life

But that leads to a further, but maybe more fruitfull question, what does that consist of? I feel «happiness» is to hollow and fleeting to be the answer. 

But I get your point ... I remeber as a kid sitting through all that school and 

" What the hell am I doing here ? " 

I study economics right, and i dont know why it took me so long to realize that i hate 80% of it. I think i just liked the sense of «going somewhere,» but now i would choose a meaningfull job with 30k over «white-snip» one with 100k. 

It just ..... IS  .   Enjoy   ;) 

Why are you here ?   Well, where else you going to be ? 

if you mean 'purpose'  what is our purpose in being here , my answer is  to be the ears eyes and body of '  the Gods', to experience , for them,  the material world and all its lessons and potential for development and advancement .

Could i have a word with him? Ah im complaining, it goes up and down i guess. 

I think the argument for free will i rather weak, so in a way i think we are just observeres. Even observing «descisions.» I listened to a podcast with Elon Musk, where he said that the reason for a simulation would be that «the creator» didnt know what would happen.

6 hours ago, Maddie said:

Why does every topic somehow end up with masturbation? 😵‍💫

Well... you know what they say... write about what you know...  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Why do people masturbate.

I have no idea . I hear everyone does it though ... well, not me .  I have never done it .  BUT ... I should  not comment on people's practices  unless I have experienced  them . So I thought I would give it a go . I consulted a firend and he  explained the process .

So right ... I am all set up , I have the Playboy magazine opened at the centrefold .... I am going for it and .. yes, I can feel an unusual  feeling arising, but it feels more like a big hand clamping down on my shoulder  .... so I turn , and its the newsagent ;

" Look ! Are you going to buy that magazine or not ? "

To orgasm and expand and experience love

So God was trying to experience orgasm, cummed, big bang happened, and now you're here. 

Noooo ... thats not how it happened .  try this instead :

https://sensitiveskinmagazine.com/big-space-fuck-kurt-vonnegut/

That's why when you experience union with existence you experience that the whole creation is just a giant cosmic orgasm

Actually, with a few adjustments , I could agree with that .

On 11/23/2023 at 12:08 PM, NaturaNaturans said:

Could the meaning of life be discovered in silence and mindfullness? Does anyone here feel that they have found it, or are we just flying on a rock in a massive universe?

I have a book.  Well, ok, it's a PDF I put together online, of those of my essays from my blog that have been the most useful to me.  Edited to eliminate repetition (somewhat... ;) ). 

The book is titled "A Natural Mindfulness". Funny part is, nothing in the book actually addressed a natural mindfulness, until I added my most recent essay to the book, wherein I write:

When “doing something” has ceased, and there is “not one particle of the body” that cannot receive the placement of attention, then the placement of attention is free to shift as necessary in the movement of breath.

... When a presence of mind is retained as the placement of attention shifts, then the natural tendency toward the free placement of attention can draw out thought initial and sustained, and bring on the stages of concentration:

… there is no need to depend on teaching. But the most important thing is to practice and realize our true nature… [laughs]. This is, you know, Zen.  

(Shunryu Suzuki, Tassajara 68-07-24, transcript)

I think the meaning of life is that there's a natural tendency toward the free placement of attention, toward the free placement of awareness.  Sometimes that is automatic, sometimes that requires thought initial and sustained and the experience of stages of concentration.   As Gautama said:

“Udayin, as an emerald jewel, of all good qualities, might be strung on a thread, blue-green or yellow or red or white or orange coloured; and a [person] with vision, having put it in [their] hand, might reflect; ‘this emerald jewel… is strung on a thread, blue-green… or orange-coloured’–even so, Udayin, a course has been pointed out by me for disciples, practising which disciples of mine know thus: This body of mine… is of a nature to be constantly rubbed away… and scattered, but this consciousness is fastened there, bound there….”

(MN II 17, Vol II pg 217; see also AN IV 304-305, Vol IV pg 202-203)

Bound there, but a freedom in the location and movement of awareness is nevertheless the experience that gives meaning to this life.  When I think of when I felt most alive, that kind of freedom as the source of action of speech, body, and mind was present.

Edited by Mark Foote

7 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

But that leads to a further, but maybe more fruitfull question, what does that consist of? I feel «happiness» is to hollow and fleeting to be the answer. 

Its much more than 'happiness' .   One would need their context in other areas  to understand what 'good life' means .  Like anything of value one must immerse oneself in it and learn from it ... here is a start as to what a 'good life' might mean :

Spoiler

" The Zoroastrian creed is to commit to a life based on good thoughts, good words and good deeds...

• In human beings the moral and ethical opposites of good and bad, right and wrong, form dichotomies - mutually exclusive opposites that require a choice between one or the other.
  • These moral and ethical opposites are asha (principled, honest, beneficent, ordered, lawful living), and druj (unprincipled, dishonest, harmful, chaotic, unlawful living and living by the lie - deceiving and deluding others).
  • Human beings have the ability to choose between the two, and when they do, they choose their path in life and display the nature of their spirit.
  • Those who live by asha are called the ashavan and those who live by druj / dreg are the dregvant. ...
  • Understanding the difference and then deciding between coexistence, choosing or moderation, requires listening with open minds, seeking knowledge and gaining wisdom, khrateush or khratu.
  • Correct choices and reasoned decisions, ratavo, are the hallmark and product of wisdom.
  • Good thoughts, words and deeds follow as a natural, intuitive outcome. Goodness does not come from dogma. Goodness is grounded in wisdom.... "

Uniting ones 'Fraveshi' , the importance of the Khvarenah .

"

• A person's quest for spiritual awareness, growth, or realization is an individual quest.
  • The path to spiritual realization is through an open mind, a good mind, reason, wisdom, goodness, security and serenity.
  • Spiritual awareness and connection comes through introspection, reflection and meditation while reciting a manthra preferably facing a source of light such as a flame.
  • Spiritual understanding comes from an open mind, listening, and then deciding person by person, each one for herself or himself, that person's individual path to spiritual realization.
    [Keeping an open mind and listening does not mean blindly following others or unquestioned faith. Blind faith leads to delusion (Gatha 48.10).]
  • Spiritual development comes through possessing the six Amesha Spenta qualities (developing the spirit, mind, body and indeed all aspect of one's life) and simultaneously being in tune with each element of nature, thereby being in harmony with God's work.

• The Amesha Spentas (amesha meaning eternal or ageless & spenta meaning brilliance, enlightenment and beneficence) are also ideals to which humans can aspire (also see Way of Life in the Home Page and Spenta Mainyu above). Possessing Amesha Spenta qualities does not make humans god-like. Possessing these qualities means being in harmony with God's work.

• Vohu Mano in human beings is the good mind.
  • Asha is principled, honest, beneficent, ordered, lawful living - for some, righteousness and piety.
  • Khshathra is having dominion and sovereignty over one's life.
  • Armaiti is serenity.
  • Haurvatat is being holistic and healthy. It is also seeking excellence in all we do.
  • Ameretat is transcending mortal limitations through good health, by handing down the spiritual flame or mainyu athra, and by building an enduring, undying spirit, the united fravashi.

• Persona: Grace, generosity of spirit, good manners.
  • Traits: Wisdom in thought, measured speech, and beneficent action.
  • Possessing six virtues: Reason, self-control, modesty, trustworthiness, gratitude, and hope.
  • Without six vices: Malice, anger, arrogance, deceitfulness, greed, and despair.
  • Living in harmony with nature and the environment is working in harmony with God's creation.
  • Nature is God's creation and therefore sacred.
  • Defiling the environment is working in opposition to God's creation.
  • The Zoroastrian approach to the environment is guided by the ethical imperative to be beneficent and a respect, indeed a reverence, for the environment.
  • The approach towards the environment is balanced between preserving the environment and enhancing the environment. Where needed to sustain human life, the principle is to make barren or desolate land fertile and productive.
  • Ancient Zoroastrians developed elaborate techniques to avoid polluting the environment in a harmful manner.

and  ... and .... and ...   But the above is a good start .

I study economics right, and i dont know why it took me so long to realize that i hate 80% of it. I think i just liked the sense of «going somewhere,» but now i would choose a meaningfull job with 30k over «white-snip» one with 100k. 

Could i have a word with him? Ah im complaining, it goes up and down i guess. 

I think the argument for free will i rather weak, so in a way i think we are just observeres. Even observing «descisions.» I listened to a podcast with Elon Musk, where he said that the reason for a simulation would be that «the creator» didnt know what would happen.

or 'the creator' wanted to experience things 'directly' by immersing themselves in the simulation  .   And they might decide to introduce a ' rouge element'  into the program . IE ,  'free will '  into the program of  'programed will '  .

Thats a theme many have played with  ;  free will  being a rouge element in the program , that 'ruining'  the experiment   , so it needs to be 'sterilized' or 'adjusted from outside ' by the experimenter . See the ancient Mesopotamian myths ,   Noah's Flood ,  'Assistant scientists '   ( seraphim ) mating with humans and producing 'heroes' that 'interfere' with things  , it seems  cross cultural  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Maddie said:

Why does every topic somehow end up with masturbation? 😵‍💫

What ?   You feel a need to do that when a topic ends  ???  :unsure:

Ohhh ... wait ... you may have been speaking about  other  people   ? 

:P

I dont think EVERY  topic does .    Some end with    how  not to come so you dont loose ya jing .  Some end with 'women stealing yer jing' . Some threads are about how long someone went without  masturbating

some end with being able to make other people cum in McDonalds

.. and then some of them somehow ended up with  a girl friend  ... and all of a sudden  stopped writing about masturbation .

I think its due to the the unusual intersection of Daoism and Americans .        :) 

• Haha 2