Klinsly

What is the feeling of heat in the abdomen when deep breathing.

Hello. I wanted to get some opinions from the fine folks around here on this phenomenon and how it is viewed from different traditions. This is something I've experienced for several years now especially when I'm living a bit more in a harmonious way, mentally and physically it will certainly manifest more often.  I'm aware it is a universal phenomena between both Eastern and Western traditions. I assume in the Daoist arts it's focused more on the Lower Dantian, while in some Western systems it's about filling up the Solar plexus with energy which also covers that same general area and function of being a storage space for massive amounts of energy.

But I'd like some more professional or just interesting opinions on what this is and what it is actually doing. It is a bit esoteric I suppose, but a very real physical sensation.

On 9/22/2023 at 11:48 AM, Klinsly said:

It is a bit esoteric I suppose, but a very real physical sensation.

It wouldn't be esoteric if one knows how our body works. The keyword is "breathing". Why does one  breathe? It is to keep one alive. Unfortunately, humans lose the ability to breathe from an infant. The reason for breathing is to capture the oxygen in the air for the body to function. If breathing isn't done properly to provide ample oxygen to the body, then, the body will not function normally. There is a certain amount of oxygen that the body can take. Not more not less. If too much, the person might die. If not enough, it will cause chronic diseases. Deep breathing is the best breathing method to bring the maximum amount of air(oxygen) that the lungs can hold.

The oxygen helps to generate body energy, and heat is part of the energy. When blood circulates, it will generate heat all over the body. Not just the abdomen. The feeling of heat is when one can resist the cold temperature in the atmosphere without putting on extra clothes.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

The act of inhale and exhale, so fundamental, so intrinsic its alchemical nature often escapes my awareness.

Every inhale is the literal merging of my perceived seperate self, with the outside world of my environment.  I have never inhaled a lung full of life that was not exhaled by the 10,000.  Our very atmosphere comprised entirely of the combined exhalations of every plant animal fish insect and hurricane in an endless cycle.

We literally breathe each others breath in every moment of our living.  As Without, Within. 

Such alchemy as this is often lost to awareness due to its implicit familiarity and foundational nature.

Most breaths are breathed beyond my awareness.  Yet when i opt to engage in breathing through awareness, with intent and full presence.  So many potent effects and affecting arise when engaging with breath with intent and technique.

I have no explanations for meanings of particular sensations, but wanted to share my unabashed joy and exuberant highlighting of the magic alchemy inherent in our every breath, in the bellows of our breathing beingness where all share of their inner process with the outer flow.  Mingling above and below.  Such treasure as this!  :wub:

• Like 2

Thanks so much for this input. Its what I was feeling as well. Breathing is very magical and alchemical when it is done with focus and intention And I think that's what the sensations are leaning towards some manifestation of spirit transforming your being.

One of my favorite quotes from Zhuangzi or Chuang Tzu is his one on breath control. Now what the original Chinese means might be different but.  it's so straightforward and awesome, which resonates so much even if you have even just a little experience with it.

"Breathing control give man strength, vitality, inspiration,and magic powers."

-Zhaungzi

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 5:03 PM, ChiDragon said:

It wouldn't be esoteric if one knows how our body works. The keyword is "breathing". Why does one  breathe? It is to keep one alive. Unfortunately, humans lose the ability to breathe from an infant. The reason for breathing is to capture the oxygen in the air for the body to function. If breathing isn't done properly to provide ample oxygen to the body, then, the body will not function normally. There is a certain amount of oxygen that the body can take. Not more not less. If too much, the person might die. If not enough, it will cause chronic diseases. Deep breathing is the best breathing method to bring the maximum amount of air(oxygen) that the lungs can hold.

The oxygen helps to generate body energy, and heat is part of the energy. When blood circulates, it will generate heat all over the body. Not just the abdomen. The feeling of heat is when one can resist the cold temperature in the atmosphere without putting on extra clothes.

I find this very important as well. Getting the right dichotomy of physical/spiritual is important. This is based more on the physical side but for health reasons is still entirely on point.  The more people learn and know about these topics the easier it is to maintain your health. I'm involved with some western esoteric systems and even the focus on the blood flow from deep breathing is incredibly important to purifying the body. I think it goes into many levels subtle to direct.

• Like 1

You just have heat overall; pretty simple. Heat in Liver, Heart, Lungs, Intestines and Lower Jiao.

That needs to be removed with diet, lifestyle and sexual activity changes. Chinese herbs are very helpful in the initial stages.

19 hours ago, Gerard said:

You just have heat overall; pretty simple. Heat in Liver, Heart, Lungs, Intestines and Lower Jiao.

That needs to be removed with diet, lifestyle and sexual activity changes. Chinese herbs are very helpful in the initial stages.

I am curious what Chinese herbs you might recommend. I know this is true about my body, it's what I was told when first seeing a TCM practitioner about 9 years ago. Currently the only thing I take at all is Eyebright for eyes and sinuses. Which I intuitively came to Apparently its also good for clearing heat. Xiao Mi Cao is the Chinese name.  Not exactly what I was reffering to, but wouldn't mind advice on this miserable problem.

Sorry Klinsly, my experience would be helpful:

When I was dealing with it, I was treated by a CCM not TCM doctor from Hong Kong. 35 years of practice as a herbalist, nothing else. He was/is extremely good at his craft.

He never gave me the same batch of herbs when he treated my condition (clear heat, dispel dampness and harmonise internal organs) since herbal prescription will change according to how my system progressed.

Hence, you cannot self medicate. Herbal medicine is extremely intricate. 

I asked him how long it took him to learn it. A: 10 years in HK chinese medicine school + 5 years supervised by a herbal master. 

• Like 2

There are two pranayama (breathing techniques) to cool the body, sitali and sitkari. Both of them can be done 4 or 5 times in a place with clean air and normal temperatures.

https://www.yogahara.com.au/news/2017/1/23/sitali

As a temporary relief, slaked lime mixed with water can be applied as a paste on top of the left and right big toe 'nails' or nadi shuddhi pranayama to balance the breathing.

Edited by Bhathen
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bhathen said:

There are two pranayama (breathing techniques) to cool the body, sitali and sitkari. Both of them can be done 4 or 5 times in a place with clean air and normal temperatures.

https://www.yogahara.com.au/news/2017/1/23/sitali

As a temporary relief, slaked lime mixed with water can be applied as a paste on top of the left and right big toe 'nails' or nadi shuddhi pranayama to balance the breathing.

Interesting, good to know, I will have to look into it focused breathing Is my preffefed meditation method.

But on a side note   I don't want to derail this topic into a heat issue. The original thing I'm talking about is very much a qi/Prana thing that is known and expected in energetic development and alchemical systems. My own issues are separate and unrelated to the original topic, just to clarify thanks for the advice!