Apech

Six Explanatory Propositions: From The Eagle’s Gift, By Carlos Castaneda

4 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Well done bob... you've just participated in a conversation for a brief moment, rather than project your fear onto others and assume you know what they derived from the book or what is possible to derive from the source that is Castaneda.

And then you are back to assuming and projecting your assumption and fear onto the world about you and others.

Not that it matters a whit... but I'd be far more intrigued to know what you derived from the books instead of your projected fears and anger about the man behind these insights. 

No need to fear for us bob, we're all experienced seekers, quite capable of engaging without "being a new ager who swallows anything in print".  We don't need saving bub.  We're just having a conversation and exploring a topic. 

Of course, if you need to vent... c'est la vie.  But expect some push back, cuz that shit is low hanging fruit in my world and my tolerance for it is nill lately.

And then again, Amy’s book might be relevant to the topic as 3bob suggests: 

“Sorcerer's Apprentice unblinkingly reveals the inner workings of the "Cult of Carlos," run by a charismatic authoritarian in his sixties who controlled his young female followers through emotional abuse, mind games, bizarre rituals, dubious teachings, and sexual excess. Wallace's story is both specific and universal, a captivating cautionary tale about the dangers of giving up one's power to a tyrant-and about surviving assaults on body and spirit.” https://www.amazon.com.au/Sorcerers-Apprentice-Carlos-Castenada-Castaneda/dp/1583942068

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, old3bob said:

we are not all experienced seekers, there are new comers from A-Z oh wise lecturer.  As for my fears? Go tell that to Charlie Manson and the girls and guys that followed him into murder and mayhem even though its many decades too late, or Osho and the people he fucked up along with his dead girl friend which he was partly responsible fo, or Jim Jones and the 900+ of murdered  by kool-aid,  or David Koresh and however many perished there, or the folks waiting to ride off on the comet but had to end their lives to do so?  or Patty Hearst and the SLA, and maybe another 100 or thousand more recent examples out there like Jan 6th at the capitol which are all mostly too late to help or stop now but not at back then... life turns on dime and a nudge here or there can make a difference.

Jan 6th?  Please keep your political conspiracy theories out of my Castaneda thread.  As to all the other cults - well I agree that that group around Transegrity or whatever it is called is cultic - but as for Castaneda himself he died of liver cancer and his most immediate group disappeared (one committed suicide by driving into death valley) but I suspect the others just took on aliases and went underground.

It's caveat emptor that is the rule.  People are fooled all the time by different things - some spiritual (of all types) and some socio-political.  If you don't take whatever you study as knowledge for yourself, that is understand, assimilate and apply - then you too are being conned.  This is my attitude to the Castaneda books - I read them in this way - just as I read or practice any other system.  It is, in the final analysis the only way.

The way is hard and long - but in the end the only worthwhile thing - it is oh so tempting to put yourself in the hands of others - a guru or whatever - for some ease.  It may be that fortune will provide to you a good shepherd - but it is better to be your own shepherd and make knowledge your own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bindi said:

And then again, Amy’s book might be relevant to the topic as 3bob suggests: 

“Sorcerer's Apprentice unblinkingly reveals the inner workings of the "Cult of Carlos," run by a charismatic authoritarian in his sixties who controlled his young female followers through emotional abuse, mind games, bizarre rituals, dubious teachings, and sexual excess. Wallace's story is both specific and universal, a captivating cautionary tale about the dangers of giving up one's power to a tyrant-and about surviving assaults on body and spirit.” https://www.amazon.com.au/Sorcerers-Apprentice-Carlos-Castenada-Castaneda/dp/1583942068

I've read the book @Bindi and it is 75% trash.  People like to make money from gossip.

15 minutes ago, old3bob said:

which is your opinion that you have a right to, but alas you were not there like the lady was, were you?

No I wasn't - but I did read the book she wrote - what else can I do?

3 minutes ago, old3bob said:

among most everything else she was forced to give up her beloved cats (and cats don't lie) for a mind control fake, what does that tell you?

It tells me she didn't love her cats enough.

• Thanks 1

there have always been, and there will always be persons who had some whiff of ' truth' and gather a following, whether as misguided souls or as a conman. 

Thing is you have to keep your power for yourself and not letting you be bound hand and foot by someone else.

When I was a misguided, weedsmoking youngster Bhagwan was the trend of the day and I was tempted but declined. No way I am gonna lay may fate in rulings of someone else.

regarding Castaneda's books, they're an entertaining read and in the stories he tells, some deeper knowledge is shared, for those who have touched on that knowledge themselves.

adding, that is as with any other so called spiritual book.

there's a lot of shit out there and we have to discern that for ourselves, warnings are in order but people walk there own path.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, old3bob said:

among most everything else she was forced to give up her beloved cats (and cats don't lie) for a mind control fake, what does that tell you?

that she gave away her own power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've learned a lot from deeply imperfect teachers and no longer require anything like flawlessness.  Staying out of jail is nice.  The trick to my style of learning is to be open to what resonates without becoming anybodies disciple, without giving away my power.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I've learned a lot from deeply imperfect teachers and no longer require anything like flawlessness.  Staying out of jail is nice.  The trick to my style of learning is to be open to what resonates without becoming anybodies disciple, without giving away my power.  

Let me know if you want me to post bail.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Cobie said:

I bought the book when it came out. It’s  too long ago now to remember the specifics (wasn’t the pathetic ‘golden balls’ gift in this book?). But I do remember that I thought from what I read, that it was a very important book. It reveals the sordidness and callousness of the whole Castaneda thing. 

P.S. I read all the Castaneda books as they were coming out, and my life went on the wrong track for a while. Difficult to know if there’s a connection, lots of other negative influences like Bhagwan and years of psilocybin use.

To be honest I don’t really care what people think about that book or about CC himself.  I made the OP because it contains interesting ideas.  If people aren’t interested in those ideas I don’t see any point in posting here.

PS surely you are not blaming the direction of your life on The Journey to Itxlan etc???? Are you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Apech said:

PS surely you are not blaming the direction of your life on The Journey to Itxlan etc???? Are you?

What bit of “Difficult to know if there’s a connection, lots of other negative influences” do you not understand!

I made the OP because it contains interesting ideas.  If people aren’t interested in those ideas I don’t see any point in posting here.

Fair enough. I have deleted my post and will leave this thread. :)

Edited by Cobie

On 10/9/2023 at 4:13 PM, Apech said:

To be honest I don’t really care what people think about that book or about CC himself.  I made the OP because it contains interesting ideas.  If people aren’t interested in those ideas I don’t see any point in posting here.

The point certainly doesn't seem to be interest in exploring the topic, but rant about unrelated personal opinions.

Effectively a thread killer if they don't lose interest and move along to the next target.  Unfortunate.

Strong minds explore concepts.

Average minds dwell on events.

Small minds obsess over gossip.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1