Amituofo

Do we need to wait 15 mins before urinating or washing our hands after mediating or any kind of energy work/qi movement or stimulation?

After meditation, qigong, or taichi, acupuncture, moxibustion, or exercise (any focused energy/work or qi stimulation)  do we need to wait before urinating, defecating, washing hands/touching water, drinking, eating and perhaps doing stimulating things etc.?

If this is the case, when exactly should we be careful not to do these things like touching or drinking water (I just guessed the above). 

And how long do we need to wait for approximately?

At the very least, I heard one shouldn't drink cold water for 15 minutes or so at least after doing these activities because the skin pores are opened or the energy channels are stimulated.

Please forgive me for my confusion and perhaps silly question.
I also know people have different views on this topic here.

I would like to hear your insights, please.

Edited by Amituofo
  • Like 1

I am not highly knowledgeable on this subject, but this is the input I can give.  As per yoga masters, yoga or meditation should be performed on an empty stomach, as well as with empty bowels, if possible. (I would say this goes for mental clarity as well, and not just for meditation.)

Meditation is much more easier that way. Or else, the chances of an agitated mind is high, which can be detrimental to meditation and the objective of creating an equanimous mind which sets the platform for awareness.

If you are observant or keep a log, you can perceive these patterns for yourself. During certain periods of time, or bodily conditions, mental agitation tends to arise. Knowing this, one can resolve these issues by employing proper techniques and tools.

• Wow 1

8 hours ago, Amituofo said:

After meditation, qigong, or taichi, acupuncture, moxibustion, or exercise (any focused energy/work or qi stimulation)  do we need to wait before urinating, defecating, washing hands/touching water, drinking, eating and perhaps doing stimulating things etc.?

If this is the case, when exactly should we be careful not to do these things like touching or drinking water (I just guessed the above). 

At the very least, I heard one shouldn't drink cold water for 15 minutes or so at least after doing these activities because the skin pores are opened or the energy channels are stimulated.

Rather than following any rigid rules, I suggest simply watching how it affects you if you do this or that after one of these activities. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

You should wait 20 minutes

Would you please help me understand the reasons for this?

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Amituofo said:

Ideally, eating should be delayed, while drinking water is sometimes very useful (especially after any practices aiming at removing toxic qi and/or dispelling blood stagnation).  Waiting before using the bathroom is unnecessary and doing it on a regular basis is harmful (e.g. UTI risk becomes higher, also this practice can weaken and slacken the bladder walls.)  Washing hands or touching water is a non-issue.  Doing stimulating things -- depends on what the practice is and what it is for.  In most cases some period of rest is better, but sometimes one wants to balance the body energies before engaging in stimulating activities.  

If you want to make sure your qi is not lost while urinating, the classical cultivational method is to click your teeth together 32 times while at it every time.  (Few people will remember I'm afraid. :) )   

Edited by Taomeow
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Ideally, eating should be delayed, while drinking water is sometimes very useful (especially after any practices aiming at removing toxic qi and/or dispelling blood stagnation).  Waiting before using the bathroom is unnecessary and doing it on a regular basis is harmful (e.g. UTI risk becomes higher, also this practice can weaken and slacken the bladder walls.)  Washing hands or touching water is a non-issue.  Doing stimulating things -- depends on what the practice is and what it is for.  In most cases some period of rest is better, but sometimes one wants to balance the body energies before engaging in stimulating activities.  

If you want to make sure your qi is not lost while urinating, the classical cultivational method is to click your teeth together 32 times while at it every time.  (Few people will remember I'm afraid. :) )   

Thank you, may I ask where one can learn all these from? Any books or teachers or articles? 

1 hour ago, Pak_Satrio said:

You will lose a little bit of qi if you do so before approximately 20 mins.

I would love to understand more of the mechanics of this.  Any additional details from you or others would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Yes, its not a good idea to do massive lines of coke after meditation .

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Amituofo said:

I don't think there are any restrictions. Qigong helps to speed up the metabolism to get rid of the waste materials in the body. The retention of urine in the body does more harm than good. Urine should be removed from the body ASAP.

Qigong helps to circulate the blood in the blood vessels. Duing the circulating process, it generates the body heat to overcome the coldness in the cold water. If one has a cold body, it would be more harmful in drinking cold water before the practice. In addition, a warm body can resist the cold weather much more than a cold body. A cold body means the body does not generate enough heat, internally, to resist cold temperature in the environment.

Asking silly question will make one smart in the future. Peace!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Amituofo said:

Thank you, may I ask where one can learn all these from? Any books or teachers or articles? 

Some teachers, some books, some articles, some seminars -- and the powers of integration to arrive at a more or less coherent taoist picture of how energies of the world and its qi work on the level of the human being.  I'm a believer in starting with the basics and trying to master those to the extent your "way" might take you.  If you gain a good systematic grasp of taoist fundamental notions, you would be able to answer questions of this kind (and many, many others) for yourself, but it's something that comes in increments, gradually.

I think one possible source for a beginner to take a bird's view of what taoist fundamentals are about would be Eva Wong's "Shambala Guide to Taoism."  For a deeper and more detailed overview of the basics specifically related to the body's health/unhealth and how "it all" works, Ted Kapchuk's "The Web That Has No Weaver."  And of course taking up a taoism-related/derived practice and learning from a competent teacher would be invaluable.       

• Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 10:42 AM, Amituofo said:

Normally it is about 30 minutes.   But it depends on different situations.  A strenuous physical exercise for 40 mins and a mind-centered sitting meditation of about 20 mins would be quite different.

This kind of cautionary notes or ancillary exercises are usually available from teachers or senior students.   They are not the core subjects so they are seldom fully mentioned in the books or articles, but exist here and there.

Your explanations for these are correct.   Apart from the effect of Chi, there are considerations on internal hormones change or other secretions that take time to be absorbed and the effects on the meridians etc.   There comes the caution on urination.

Touching and drinking water, again, depends very much on the temperature difference and volume.   A small cup of body temperature water would be safe.  A big glass of icy cold water or worst, beer, would be detrimental. 

• Like 2