Apech

Unpopular Opinions

23 hours ago, Nungali said:

Unpopular opinion ;

I didnt call extinct  hominids humans and I didnt call elephants and fictional characters people ... and I virtually got modded for that on my history site .

has political correctness gone this far now ?   I mean , it isnt even 'daobums' ... thats supposed to be 'academia '    WOW !

Silly me , I thought this might be interesting in the world of academia ?

https://www.sciencealert.com/evidence-of-a-wooden-structure-that-predates-our-species-uncovered

is this a wooden structure that predates humans ?

they doth protest to much methinks :

" And I point out again that many experts use the word "human" to describe members of all species in the genus Homo, not merely Homo sapiens. And the group of beings who can be described as "people" is in theory possibly much larger than the group of "humans". It is possible that members of some or all of the species of apes, elephants, and cetaceans are intelligent enough that they should be classified as intelligent beings and thus "people". And of course if there are intelligent beings on other worlds they are "people" even though they may be far less "human" than any beings on Earth. "

:) 

here I was thinking 'people' where ;

" people

1. Humans considered as a group or in indefinite numbers. Often treated as a plural of person, especially in compounds.
  2. The mass of ordinary persons; the populace. Used with the.
  3. A body of persons living in the same country under one national government; a nationality.

No, because ..... wait for it ....

" As a long time reader of science fiction I know that humans, whether restricted to Homo sapiens or including all members of genus Homo, are a small subset of all the species of people existing in fiction.

Even people who don't read science fiction must be aware of many alien characters in science fiction movies and tv shows.

In ET: The Extraterrestrial ET is not depicted as being a human, but he is depicted as being a person.

In Star Trek there are species like Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons, Cardassians, etc. who are not depicted as being humans, but who are depicted as being people.

In Star Wars Chewbacca, Jabba the Hut, Yoda, Ashoka, Jar Jar Binks, etc. are not depicted as being humans but are depicted as being people.

And in fantasy there are species which may be more or less similar to humans but are people. In The Lord of the Rings they include Elves, Hobbits, Dwarves, Ents, and Orcs. Dragons are not depicted as being human in The Reluctant Dragon, Pete's Dragon, The Never Ending Story, or The Hobbit, but they are depicted as being people.

So a dictionary definition of "people" that restricts it to Homo sapiens, or to humans more broadly, is hidebound, reactionary, and out of touch with even popular culture which is always behind the most advanced thought. .

And if Earthlings ever make contact with a civilized extraterrestrial species which will probably be thousands or millions of years more technologically advanced, the survival of Homo sapiens may depend on having a definition of people which is not restricted to Homo sapiens or to humans. And some people might consider that a very important consideration.  "

So .... I am being against what 'some might consider a very important consideration ' that Chewbacca, dragons orcs hobbits etc  being fictional characters , are also now 'people' .

Its very unfair and politically incorrect to deny fictional characters  their right to be people , like us . AND I am being 'hidebound' and 'reactionary' in not considering fictional characters  as people   :) 

I am gonna have to get rid of my old school definitions  and stop offending those poor fictional characters   and embrace them into the world of people  .... maybe soon they get their own toilets ?   Mens , Womens , disabled , fictional characters .  ?

image.png.0547bbf6c60074417a4236cb3fd35eaa.png

"  I said   OCCUPIED  !  "

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2023 at 12:48 PM, old3bob said:

hey, hey, what do you say to a drunken Tao bum early in the morning....

What we like to do here at Dao Bums is throw 'em in the scuppers with the long hose on 'em...

• Haha 2

In an oil pipeline ?   What some mini tubular oil submarine ?

nah nah ..... the best way to smuggle heroin is  ....

Spoiler

why did you want to know ?  hmmmmmm ..... B)

• Haha 2

Mississippi should be spelled Mmississippi.  It's the third most misspelled state in the US (after Hawaii and Pennsylvania), but Mmississippi would be so easy to memorize if everyone was told in kindergarten, double all consonants and quadruple just one vowel.  Voila.           

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Mississippi should be spelled Mmississippi.  It's the third most misspelled state in the US (after Hawaii and Pennsylvania), but Mmississippi would be so easy to memorize if everyone was told in kindergarten, double all consonants and quadruple just one vowel.  Voila.           

It is written as Mississippi in Wikipedia.

Edited by centertime

1 hour ago, centertime said:

Mrs.  Hippy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, centertime said:

Mmister (or Mmiss or Mmadam),  you mmay have mmissed two points --

mmy mmindful mmemo on Mmississippi

and the fact that it's the Unpopular Opinions thread.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I think you mmade a mmistake .

because the MOST misspelt word in  America Is Austrualia

(  and voila is actually viola  ....  a small stringed mmusical instrument .)

3 hours ago, Nungali said:

I think you mmade a mmistake .

because the MOST misspelt word in  America Is Austrualia

(  and voila is actually viola  ....  a small stringed mmusical instrument .)

I was only referring to the most misspelled states of the US -- Austrualia is not one of them, at least not yet -- I guess that would have to wait till the one world government governs de juro, not just de facto.  Here we misspell the hell out of a lot of toponyms, in fact there's some I've never seen spelled correctly -- for geopolitical reasons, no less.   

As for viola, I have no objections.  Viola!

In Russian there's a three letter word in which it's possible to make four spelling mistakes -- not only possible but not that uncommon among auditory spellers.  Can't think of a similar one in English -- is there such a word?    

1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

I was only referring to the most misspelled states of the US -- Austrualia is not one of them, at least not yet -- I guess that would have to wait till the one world government governs de juro, not just de facto.  Here we misspell the hell out of a lot of toponyms, in fact there's some I've never seen spelled correctly -- for geopolitical reasons, no less.   

As for viola, I have no objections.  Viola!

In Russian there's a three letter word in which it's possible to make four spelling mistakes -- not only possible but not that uncommon among auditory spellers.  Can't think of a similar one in English -- is there such a word?    

Hang on  ... we are  not  a state of  America  ???    :o

Then why did we do all of that  .......   

And ... as far as 'one world governments'  go .....  ummmm ....  one world government  goes ....  I ain't being governed by no judo ... nor will my ex  be having anything to do with . 

Also, spelling isnt important , we should be able to spell any God damn way we want !

image.png.89724139690ad6c7362e74ce40b1b234.png

On 28.7.2023 at 12:43 AM, Apech said:

Anything that can be accomplished by movement and forms can be accomplished without them.

Meditation is not meditation.

The only guru is you.

Most western Buddhists and Daoists are Christian.

All of those reading this are incomplete beings.

There is nothing wrong with thinking.

Everything presented as non-conceptual is essentially conceptual.

Jhanas lead to more suffering.

Compassion is sheep quietly eating grass waiting for the slaughterman's wagon.

To love fully destroys you.

Wisdom means to know less.

Thats not unpopular, its pure gold. But id like If you could clarify this: To love fully destroys you.

In a positive or negative sense? And id also add that compasion is only a weakness if it is unbalanced/unwise/with out the power, courage and knowledge to act it out

Edited by NaturaNaturans

1 hour ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Thats not unpopular, its pure gold. But id like If you could clarify this: To love fully destroys you.

In a positive or negative sense? And id also add that compasion is only a weakness if it is unbalanced/unwise/with out the power, courage and knowledge to act it out

Positive.

I need to divert to

UNPOPULAR ACTIONS

Wow !

So, the last couple of days I have had , apparently, an abscess  under a tooth  . It came on like  <snap>  that .  VERY painful , spread into glands , got an ear ache , got into jaw joint .  ( So , I guess my last few days of posts where done in a very 'altered state'  .... oh- o !  :unsure: . )

I managed to get an emergency appointment with my dentist in little city out by the coast . By then things had relieved somewhat . I joked with him as usual , he is Indian and also has a Royal Enfield ( motorcycle ) . They have a new waiting room,  got shelves and he has put 'decor' on them including little Lambrette scooter model and a Porche model car .  I point to the Lambretta " Ha !  You finally swapped your Enfield for a scooter !   .... and why the Porche ? "

"Thats what I want to save to buy ? "

Me ; " Save up ?  I would have thought after my last lot of work ... you would already have one  ! "

( it was $320 for an extraction  this time ... he gave me $20  off , because ....  " friends "   .... yeah , right   <_<    )

Anyways , he says abscess , gotta pull it out .... jab jab with needles  and ... I am looking at the clock and its 11:40 , Saturday . I already said I was surprised he was working Saturday , and he said half day . I got there early and got in early on my appointment , he had already commented to nurse that they night get off early .

" Are you numb yet ? "

" NO ! " 

... well, that aint stop him

" Now I have to drain it first .....  you are not going to like me very much when I am doing this  .....  "

Oh -  OH   ...  he pinched the gum at the base of the tooth with thumb and fingers and  ......... PRESS!  

Oh Jeeze !

Then he says he is going to pull the tooth out and although he has numbed it , that does not numb the pain of a tooth being extracted through and abscessed  socket  and  to bare with him for 5 mins . What the fuck ... he wants to go play golf or something ?  Ah to hell with it  " Look, just grab hold of the little fucker and wrench it out in one quick go .... you can do it Man ! "

That made him look confident , he swelled up   and   ...

he did it !     :)  . 

...   actually  ....  MissingToothEmoji.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=9d391b845ab4d98be65dca85e81f0b1799228ffbfde0a26af16410a99e37b6db&ipo=images

That was a few hrs ago , got home, had some 'meds'  .... relatively pain free ...     now I like the guy again .

18 hours ago, Nungali said:

I need to divert to

UNPOPULAR ACTIONS

Wow !

So, the last couple of days I have had , apparently, an abscess  under a tooth  . It came on like  <snap>  that .  VERY painful , spread into glands , got an ear ache , got into jaw joint .  ( So , I guess my last few days of posts where done in a very 'altered state'  .... oh- o !  :unsure: . )

I managed to get an emergency appointment with my dentist in little city out by the coast . By then things had relieved somewhat . I joked with him as usual , he is Indian and also has a Royal Enfield ( motorcycle ) . They have a new waiting room,  got shelves and he has put 'decor' on them including little Lambrette scooter model and a Porche model car .  I point to the Lambretta " Ha !  You finally swapped your Enfield for a scooter !   .... and why the Porche ? "

"Thats what I want to save to buy ? "

Me ; " Save up ?  I would have thought after my last lot of work ... you would already have one  ! "

( it was $320 for an extraction  this time ... he gave me $20  off , because ....  " friends "   .... yeah , right   <_<    )

Anyways , he says abscess , gotta pull it out .... jab jab with needles  and ... I am looking at the clock and its 11:40 , Saturday . I already said I was surprised he was working Saturday , and he said half day . I got there early and got in early on my appointment , he had already commented to nurse that they night get off early .

" Are you numb yet ? "

" NO ! " 

... well, that aint stop him

" Now I have to drain it first .....  you are not going to like me very much when I am doing this  .....  "

Oh -  OH   ...  he pinched the gum at the base of the tooth with thumb and fingers and  ......... PRESS!  

Oh Jeeze !

Then he says he is going to pull the tooth out and although he has numbed it , that does not numb the pain of a tooth being extracted through and abscessed  socket  and  to bare with him for 5 mins . What the fuck ... he wants to go play golf or something ?  Ah to hell with it  " Look, just grab hold of the little fucker and wrench it out in one quick go .... you can do it Man ! "

That made him look confident , he swelled up   and   ...

he did it !     :)  . 

...   actually  ....  MissingToothEmoji.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=9d391b845ab4d98be65dca85e81f0b1799228ffbfde0a26af16410a99e37b6db&ipo=images

That was a few hrs ago , got home, had some 'meds'  .... relatively pain free ...     now I like the guy again .

I object, this is the popular opinion of abcessed sockets under teeth!

My sympathies, Nungali!

7 hours ago, Mark Foote said:

I object, this is the popular opinion of abcessed sockets under teeth!

My sympathies, Nungali!

You 'object' to my diversion ?    

You must be , because  it wasn't about an opinion  it was about an action . 

Furthermore , I object to your action , in objection to 'my opinion' because it wasn't one.

And further to that furthermore , I object to your diversion , criticising my objecting to actions and thinking they where non objections to opinions and therefore extending the diversion .

But, you could criticise my opinion about all that as 'not unpopular ' ...  which would mean that  silly criticism of you IS popular , ...although I did decide to act on your action in posting an objection ...  and post my opinion  .