helgaferae

Women in Eastern Tradition (taboo)

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Dedicated said:

Gender could be said to be ego. A loss of ego experience might include transcending the gender duality.

 

Definitely, as well as the sloughing off of all other possible dualities, identity or otherwise.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2023 at 11:44 PM, Taomeow said:

 

Despite all the fossilized patriarchal crap many of its schools picked up along the way and incorporated on misogynistic autopilot, taoism remains the only "path" with a physiologically sound premise -- the Great Mother. 

 

 

The Great Spirit. Beyond sex and religion.

 

The fact that we live countless lives BOTH in male or female forms is a proof that gender means little. Self-realisation is what really counts whether you are male or female.

 

Two of the greatest quotes ever written:

 

You are not a drop in the ocean; you are the entire ocean in a drop (Rumi, a man).

 

First of all, a soul is not something that you have. It is what you are (Jane Robert's-Seth, a woman).

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gerard said:

 

The fact that we live countless lives BOTH in male or female forms is a proof that gender means little.

 

 

I'd be curious to see your definitions of the terms "fact" and "proof."    

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I love polarity.  I love gender-iness.  It's cool when men want to do masculine things and women want to do feminine things, whatever those may be.  Which is why I'm so bothered by the current trend to do away with all expression of male and female polarity in favor of gender neutral language.  

 

At the same time, if someone wants to "queer up" gender stereotypes by acting counter to established gender norms, well, you go girl!  (Or boy, as the case may be.)  Others find that their path leads away from putting emphasis on gender altogether.  People can, mostly, do what they want.  One of the things some people want is to lean in to the conventions of their biologically given gender.  Lets not take away that option by mandating white bread vanilla words like (ugh!) chest-feeding.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are things better kept personal and this is one of them.
 

Find out for yourself. :)

 

 

Edited by Gerard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Taomeow said:

 

I'd be curious to see your definitions of the terms "fact" and "proof."    


 

Same as many other topics:

 

1. Prove the Tao exists at all. 


2. Prove that Qi/life force is a fact. 
 

3. Prove that Yin & Yang is a fact and not a philosophical concept.
 

You can detect the vibrations of the internal organs by using pulse diagnosis but this doesn't necessarily prove Qi exists or the physical existence of Y&Y.

 

Same goes with past lives and past lives awareness.

 

Buddhist perspective:

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhij√ĪńĀ

 

https://www.suttas.com/chief-disciple-ven-moggallana.html
 

 

Hypnotherapy perspective:

 

https://healingsoulhypnosis.com/12-things-you-should-know-about-a-past-life-regression/

 

 

Prove any of it. You can't.

 

Prove the nature of consciousness. You can't.

 

Prove the location of consciousness. You can't.

 

What on earth are we here for?

 

What's the purpose of this forum if most of it can't be proven? 
 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gerard said:


Same as many other topics:

1. Prove the Tao exists at all. 

2. Prove that Qi/life force is a fact. 
3. Prove that Yin & Yang is a fact and not a philosophical concept.

(...)

 

 

You should have reviewed your statement before offering other statements as "same" which are not "same" at all.  No one asserts "the 'fact' that tao exists 'proves' this and that."  No one asserts that "the 'fact' that qi exists 'proves' this and that."  No one asserts that "the 'fact' that yin and yang exist 'proves' this and that."  No one asserts these are "facts" that "prove" a particular statement uttered is true. 

 

But you did.  You asserted that "The fact that we live countless lives BOTH in male or female forms is a proof that gender means little."  The thing is, it is not a "fact" that "proves" a particular statement.  It's a statement of belief that you use as proof of another statement of belief. 

 

It doesn't work like that though.  The fact that you were born from a mother is a fact.  The fact that taoism acknowledges the Great Mother as the origin of all things is a fact.  The fact that I asserted taoism got it right by accurately reflecting the natural fact of birth from a mother is a fact.  None of these facts, by themselves, either contradict or prove any beliefs -- unless you believe the person who  gave birth to you was your uncle.   

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maddie said:

I wonder what classic Eastern thought would say about Transgenderism? 

 

 

 

According to this writer, The Young Polytheistic: Eight Immortals: Lan Caihe, one of the Eight Immortals of Taoism is ambiguously gendered and might be trans.  In any case, spiritually advanced wandering hermits aren't known for their conventionality, so I imagine there's plenty of room for trans adepts.  There will always be people who want to tell others what to do -- and people who do their own thing regardless.  I think the people who do their own thing are more interesting.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Gerard said:


 

Same as many other topics:

 

1. Prove the Tao exists at all. 


2. Prove that Qi/life force is a fact. 
 

3. Prove that Yin & Yang is a fact and not a philosophical concept.
 

You can detect the vibrations of the internal organs by using pulse diagnosis but this doesn't necessarily prove Qi exists or the physical existence of Y&Y.

 

Same goes with past lives and past lives awareness.

 

Buddhist perspective:

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhij√ĪńĀ

 

https://www.suttas.com/chief-disciple-ven-moggallana.html
 

 

Hypnotherapy perspective:

 

https://healingsoulhypnosis.com/12-things-you-should-know-about-a-past-life-regression/

 

 

Prove any of it. You can't.

 

Prove the nature of consciousness. You can't.

 

Prove the location of consciousness. You can't.

 

What on earth are we here for?

 

What's the purpose of this forum if most of it can't be proven? 
 

 

 

 

Why .... to discuss the 'unproven' , of course !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Taomeow said:

 

You should have reviewed your statement before offering other statements as "same" which are not "same" at all.  No one asserts "the 'fact' that tao exists 'proves' this and that."  No one asserts that "the 'fact' that qi exists 'proves' this and that."  No one asserts that "the 'fact' that yin and yang exist 'proves' this and that."  No one asserts these are "facts" that "prove" a particular statement uttered is true. 

 

But you did.  You asserted that "The fact that we live countless lives BOTH in male or female forms is a proof that gender means little."  The thing is, it is not a "fact" that "proves" a particular statement.  It's a statement of belief that you use as proof of another statement of belief. 

 

It doesn't work like that though.  The fact that you were born from a mother is a fact.  The fact that taoism acknowledges the Great Mother as the origin of all things is a fact.  The fact that I asserted taoism got it right by accurately reflecting the natural fact of birth from a mother is a fact.  None of these facts, by themselves, either contradict or prove any beliefs -- unless you believe the person who  gave birth to you was your uncle.   

 

 

 

 

 

image.png.d3664f258795a43baeeab5606292a912.png

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites