Sign in to follow this  
Nuralshamal

Karma Visible in our Energy Field

44 minutes ago, Maddie said:

If I've been meditating a lot it just kind of happens automatically. If I've been meditating less then I have to try to focus a little bit. 

There's nothing magic about the breath it's just an object to make the mind still. When the mind gets still that's what unlocks its abilities.

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate your clarity and simplicity in explaining :D one can tell your words carry the weight of being experiential knowledge, and not theory from a book. I appreciate that :D 

For me it's similar; when I meditate a lot, many things just happen. I usually meditate on mantras or the pulsating vibration of the life force inside my body.

I have that same experience, when the mind is still, things start happening :D beautifully put, I must say.

When I meditate less, the frequency and intensity of these kind of occurences start to slow down, and eventually disappear until I meditate deeply again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuralshamal said:

@Maddie

What about astral travel? Have you experienced this?

What does buddhist teachings say about how to acquire the power of astral travel?

Yes and yes.

Again that would come down to Sammatha meditation. 

8 hours ago, Maddie said:

Yes and yes.

Again that would come down to Sammatha meditation. 

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing :-D

What were you doing samatha on when you astral travelled? 

And what’s your top 3 greatest take-homes from your astral travel experiences? 

5 hours ago, Nuralshamal said:

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing :-D

What were you doing samatha on when you astral travelled? 

And what’s your top 3 greatest take-homes from your astral travel experiences? 

Whenever I do samatha I always use the breath as my object.

Well probably one of the most noteworthy experiences is I was out of state and I astral traveled to my mom's home and she was making cookies and so when I came back I got on the phone and I called her and I said you're making cookies aren't you? That freaked her out LOL.

• Haha 1

There's two things I'll say about powers and then I'll just leave it alone.

They're actually easier to get the most people realize if you're willing to do a lot of Sammatha meditation.

With that being said they're kind of pointless and a horrible thing to seek, as it's usually the ego that speaks power, and the ego is the problem. The Buddha said the best power to have is the ability to teach the Dharma well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maddie said:

Whenever I do samatha I always use the breath as my object.

Well probably one of the most noteworthy experiences is I was out of state and I astral traveled to my mom's home and she was making cookies and so when I came back I got on the phone and I called her and I said you're making cookies aren't you? That freaked her out LOL.

12 hours ago, Maddie said:

There's two things I'll say about powers and then I'll just leave it alone.

They're actually easier to get the most people realize if you're willing to do a lot of Sammatha meditation.

With that being said they're kind of pointless and a horrible thing to seek, as it's usually the ego that speaks power, and the ego is the problem. The Buddha said the best power to have is the ability to teach the Dharma well.

Hey @Maddie,

Thanks for sharing :D

Great story :)

Yes, I agree.

Someone once asked if I could help him through meditation. I said yes. He then asked "what are your powers?". I had never been asked this before, so I didn't really know how to respond.

I replied "I feel the strongest of all powers is the ability to bring peace between individuals, helping people find answers to their questions, as well as give them means to satisfy their permissible needs".

By permissible I mean "halal", "kosher", in accordance with dharma or "not hurting themselves or others, in neither thought, word nor deed" but instead "being a blessing to all living beings, helping alleviate the suffering of others when possible".

I agree that powers shouldn't be the focus of one's practice, as that attitude can create complete havoc on so many levels :D but I feel it's important to discuss frankly the mechanisms of meditation, the occurences along the way and what they mean.

In general I feel that there's no need for all this "mysticism", not mysticism meaning experientially verifying the great truths by yourself (as this I strongly agree with), but meant as not being willing to use our intellect to explain or talk about what's going on.

In general I value both the body, energy, emotions and mind very much, and I feel they should all be understood and used. However, of course the end goal of connecting directly with Being, Presence or Pure Consciousness should be clearly explained, and for that you need to go beyond body, energy, emotions and mind.

But we're using body, energy, emotions and mind to get there, so this disregard in many traditions for these different levels, and the complete unwillingness to "just talk", I feel is not a good approach. In the end, body, energy, emotions and mind are also different expressions of the One Conscioussness, Being or Presence (whatever you want to call it). In Buddhism I guess it's Shunyata, the great Emptiness or state of no mind or something similar? (feel free to add the correct terms ;))

SO, to round off, I appreciate our talk and exchange, I feel it's a good thing to openly and frankly discuss with peers, having a live interaction. Guidance by scripture is good, guidance by Guru is great, exchange and guidance from peers is also good. That's how I see it.

As mentioned in my story, all these masters I sought help with, they're also just human beings like you and me. It's not like they're some superior or different race or level. They're completely the same as us. They've just spent more time in a specific area (healing, qigong, transforming "nafs" (ego), meditation, mantras, rituals etc). However, just because they've reached a high level in one area, it doesn't mean they've reached a high level in another area. In my life experience, some of these masters were great in healing, but they didn't even know how to emotionally console a suffering soul (a basic skill of being human), nor how to actually solve problems with black magic and evil spirits.

So that's why I also myself continue to learn and exchange, through study of scripture, meeting different masters, and exchange with peers here on Daobums :D even someone just starting out, they could know more than me in a particular area. Someone at my same level could likewise know more in a particular area. And of course a master could also know more than me in a particular area.

By exchange, we can all learn and grow. At least that's my idea :)

So thanks for chipping in :D

5 hours ago, Nuralshamal said:

Hey @Maddie,
Someone once asked if I could help him through meditation. I said yes. He then asked "what are your powers?". I had never been asked this before, so I didn't really know how to respond.

Your response was pretty good lol. I would have said well if at the end of this you understand meditation better than before we started, then apparently teaching meditation is my power. lol 

Okay guys ... you triggered me .

What is my 'power'  ?  :unsure:

Not a list of them ... but what I might consider my 'main one' .   Great question .

After thinking a bit I am  going to say ' a fortuitous birth '  , followed by lots of 'good luck', some type of guiding and protecting force and   an appreciation and celebration of a fantastic life I seem to have acquired 'somehow' .  "    :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this