almaxy

Which of these systems is good to start?

Hello everyone, I'm new to daoism and I was searching for some systems that I could start practicing.:D

I heard I can practice all of these alone because they are safe.

So, here are the systems I googled into and I want your opinion on which one can get more healing benefits.

First of all I want to heal myself and build more jing, I don't want supernatural powers or spiritual enlightenment at the moment, I just want to be a healthy person above average, if possible. If someone can help me, please, I will be very grateful!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lotus Nei Gong(Damo Mitchell) - https://damomitchell.com/the-academy/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spring Forest Qigong - https://www.springforestqigong.com/
Sheng Zhen - https://shengzhen.org/
Flying Phoenix Chi Kung - http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html
Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming - https://yangjwingming.com/

Which systems builds more jing?
Which systems heals the most?
Which systems can cause unexpected and unwanted kundalini awakening?(that's one of my concerns too, if one of the above systems can cause it, please, let me know)

Thanks in advance!!;)

11 minutes ago, hexdex said:

Hello everyone, I'm new to daoism and I was searching for some systems that I could start practicing.:D

Welcome :)

So, here are the systems I googled into and I want your opinion on which one can get more healing benefits.

First of all I want to heal myself and build more jing, I don't want supernatural powers or spiritual enlightenment at the moment, I just want to be a healthy person above average, if possible. If someone can help me, please, I will be very grateful!

Start by regulating your lifestyle and mind :) Don't worry about "building" anything

Heals from what? This is an important distinction to make

Which systems can cause unexpected and unwanted kundalini awakening?(that's one of my concerns too, if one of the above systems can cause it, please, let me know)

The chances of a kundalini awakening unexpectedly? 

You have a better chance of meeting, Buddha, Jesus and Lao Tzu walking down the street together at the same time wearing matching jumpsuits. :) Im being humorous. :D 

What most people think is just qi moving or in rare events something a little deeper.

Its never kundalini to be honest, so don't worry :) 

41 minutes ago, hexdex said:

I just want to be a healthy person above average, if possible.

If that is the goal then I think any of them would be helpful. 

42 minutes ago, hexdex said:

I would recommend Flying Phoenix because I’ve been doing doing it for a year and it has done wonders for my health in general. I haven’t done any of the others so can’t comment on them.

Since doing Flying Phoenix for a year my eyesight is much better, I haven’t had a cold and it gets rid of my aches and pains from working 12 hours a day. 

• Like 2

I can't contribute much to this discussion, but I think all of these systems are for healing in some way, recently I found out about Sheng Zhen and it's for free, besides that it feels like a strong system, I will try it.

2 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

You have a better chance of meeting, Buddha, Jesus and Lao Tzu walking down the street together at the same time wearing matching jumpsuits. :) Im being humorous. :D 

What most people think is just qi moving or in rare events something a little deeper.

I've heard stories of people going insane with kundalini spontaneous arising, stories of people who had car accident or very severe traumas and kundalini awakned outta nowhere.. I don't know if these stories are true but there seems to be this discussion in the community if it's really possible for kundalini to arise like this.

3 minutes ago, almaxy said:

I've heard stories of people going insane with kundalini spontaneous arising, stories of people who had car accident or very severe traumas and kundalini awakned outta nowhere.. I don't know if these stories are true but there seems to be this discussion in the community if it's really possible for kundalini to arise like this.

I think we covered kundalini before in this thread :) 

TLDR :

• It is a very precise process, you wont be doing it by mistake
  • It takes around 12 years of  nonstop training 6-8 hours per day
  • He's only met a handful of Yogis (not people) have done it (and hes just talking about the awakening part, not completing the process)
  • He's confident anything anyone is calling a kundalini awakening is not kundalini awakening
  • Its Udana prana that people are moving

In most cases it is just Yang Qi moving, in very rare cases Prana. It is basically never kundalini, because of the amount of work involved (see above) 

• Like 1

Welcome :)

Heals from what? This is an important distinction to make

Thanks! I just want to clear energy blockages, trapped emotions, traumas, etc.. I want to heal my mind and my body.

oh ok, I was worried about it ahhahah:lol: thanks for the explanation

2 hours ago, dmattwads said:

If that is the goal then I think any of them would be helpful. 

thanks!

2 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

I would recommend Flying Phoenix because I’ve been doing doing it for a year and it has done wonders for my health in general. I haven’t done any of the others so can’t comment on them.

Since doing Flying Phoenix for a year my eyesight is much better, I haven’t had a cold and it gets rid of my aches and pains from working 12 hours a day. 

Woah nice, eyesight healing?? That's cool, a potent system indeed.

4 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

I think we covered kundalini before in this thread :) 

In most cases it is just Yang Qi moving, in very rare cases Prana. It is basically never kundalini, because of the amount of work involved (see above) 

Nice information I will take a look in that thread. Now I'm asking myself why I always tought that MCO training could cause spontaneous kundalini arising:blink:

5 minutes ago, hexdex said:

Thanks! I just want to clear energy blockages, trapped emotions, traumas, etc.. I want to heal my mind and my body.

Damo Mitchell does this foundation work very well, I can't speak for the other systems.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hexdex said:

Thanks in advance!!;)

I have done Spring Forest Qigong, Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, and some of YMAA's work. I would prioritize the first two over YMAA. Damo Mitchell's is great too but I have no personal experience. Spring Forest Qigong is excellent for healing and spiritual development, but I would try both. One month Spring Forest, one month Flying Phoenix. See which one you like better. Sidenote: you only really need level one of Spring Forest at first. 

However, don't neglect your physical activity. If you can't walk several miles at a time, are physically weak, and eat poorly, the qigong might not make too much of a difference speaking from experience. As for building jing, it seems to be a very controversial subject, but the most common answer (that has worked for me) seems to be celibacy. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, almaxy said:

Nice information I will take a look in that thread. Now I'm asking myself why I always tought that MCO training could cause spontaneous kundalini arising:blink:

Spring Forest Qigong has a meditation which is like the MCO, it's called SMALL UNIVERSE MEDITATION, but I have never seen people have side effects from SFQ, I think it's safe.

23 minutes ago, almaxy said:

Damo Mitchell does this foundation work very well, I can't speak for the other systems.

Thanks, I heard very well of Damo too.

13 minutes ago, searcher7977 said:

I have done Spring Forest Qigong, Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, and some of YMAA's work. I would prioritize the first two over YMAA. Damo Mitchell's is great too but I have no personal experience. Spring Forest Qigong is excellent for healing and spiritual development, but I would try both. One month Spring Forest, one month Flying Phoenix. See which one you like better. Sidenote: you only really need level one of Spring Forest at first. 

However, don't neglect your physical activity. If you can't walk several miles at a time, are physically weak, and eat poorly, the qigong might not make too much of a difference speaking from experience. As for building jing, it seems to be a very controversial subject, but the most common answer (that has worked for me) seems to be celibacy. 

Thanks! I have a lot of interest to start SFQ, but at the time it's expensive for me to buy the complete level one, do you think I can benefit only with the small universe meditation at first?

4 minutes ago, hexdex said:

Thanks! I have a lot of interest to start SFQ, but at the time it's expensive for me to buy the complete level one, do you think I can benefit only with the small universe meditation at first?

Start with Flying Phoenix then, the first two DVDs is enough to start with. It keep you busy for a few months. If you don’t end up liking it then at least it’s not a huge loss. 

• Like 2

Just now, Pak_Satrio said:

Start with Flying Phoenix then, the first two DVDs is enough to start with. It keep you busy for a few months. If you don’t end up liking it then at least it’s not a huge loss. 

Actually Flying Phoenix is much more expensive for me because of the shipping cost, it almost quadruplies the original cost of 1 DVD :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hexdex said:

Spring Forest Qigong has a meditation which is like the MCO, it's called SMALL UNIVERSE MEDITATION, but I have never seen people have side effects from SFQ, I think it's safe.

Thanks, I heard very well of Damo too.

I don't know. It depends on the individual's disposition and needs. For me, I need active exercises that worked on an energetic level. They are the foundation. Chunyi Lin speaks about how the ratio of standing to sitting exercises should be 3:1 (or maybe 4:1 I forgot). To that end, I almost never did the small universe meditation. However, the small universe meditation is the cornerstone of the practice. If you do it consistently, I would guess you would gain benefit from it.

Please be warned, I am not a teacher, nor do I know your level so I can't really say for certain what benefits (or consequences) you would gain from anything. 

If cost is an issue, there is also Flowing Zen qigong, which is very cost effective and legitimate. He has some free intro qigong. Sifu Anthony learned from Wong View Kit. If you are looking for free content, there is a thread somewhere here with free qigong. You can also learn Zhuan Zang here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5AC656794EE191C1 or maybe the 8 brocades. 

I haven't seen very many other legitimate free qigong. I don't think anyone would get very far with free qigong either for a variety of reasons. I'd say a year of progress if you are lucky. 

Edited by searcher7977
  • Like 2

Actually Flying Phoenix is much more expensive for me because of the shipping cost, it almost quadruplies the original cost of 1 DVD :lol:

Oh no, where are you based? Sifu Terry is working on putting all the DVDs on Vimeo so you could either wait until then or join one of the beginner zoom classes each Sunday

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Oh no, where are you based? Sifu Terry is working on putting all the DVDs on Vimeo so you could either wait until then or join one of the beginner zoom classes each Sunday

In Brazil, every $1,00 Dollar equals R$5,00 Reais haha

I didn't know about these zoom classes on sunday, I went to search for it but I couldn't find, do you have the link?

Edited by almaxy

9 minutes ago, hexdex said:

In Brazil, every $1,00 Dollar equals R$5,00 Reais haha

I didn't know about these zoom classes on sunday, I went to search for it but I couldn't find, do you have the link?

Check out his monthly newsletters for the details. You don’t have to subscribe to read them.

https://terencedunn.substack.com/

• Like 2

The qigong market in the West is very different from that in Taiwan. Basically, qigong in Taiwan is free and many people practice it.

The spontaneous exercise I practice myself also emphasizes that it is free and does not require a teacher, and I have practiced it for more than ten years, and the effect is very good.

We have a large group of people who have practiced for 10 or 20 years.

西方的氣功市場和台灣差異很大,基本上台灣的氣功都是免費的,而且練的人很多。

我自己練的自發功也是強調免費,不需要老師,而且我練了十幾年了,效果很好。

我們有一大群練了一二十年的人。

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, awaken said:

The qigong market in the West is very different from that in Taiwan. Basically, qigong in Taiwan is free and many people practice it.

The spontaneous exercise I practice myself also emphasizes that it is free and does not require a teacher, and I have practiced it for more than ten years, and the effect is very good.

We have a large group of people who have practiced for 10 or 20 years.

西方的氣功市場和台灣差異很大,基本上台灣的氣功都是免費的,而且練的人很多。

我自己練的自發功也是強調免費,不需要老師,而且我練了十幾年了,效果很好。

我們有一大群練了一二十年的人。

what is the name of this qi gong for those interested? is there any way to watch how it is and maybe learn it?