thelerner

Hey Goodlookin, What u got Cookin?

10 minutes ago, Sketch said:

A Jamaican friend gave me his recipe for curry goat when we lived in London, during the mad cow days.

His main point was to go to Dalston Market and find the halal butchers. One of them would have fat Jamaican ladies in line. This was the line to be in, I was to confirm this with the ladies and get what they told me to get. Any further questions were to be directed to them.

Over the years I've made it many times, finding that halal goat is rather variable, depending on the butcher. 

I had a great guy in Berkeley. 

The laughing emoji is in appreciation of the fine art of "insider" directions --  "Don't go to butchers where the Jamaican ladies don't line up :D "

Usually, I've seen if you go to good south Asian butcher shops, you get good meat (most big ethnic grocery stores have attached butcher shops unless they are explicitly vegetarian). Befriend the butcher and the store manager and they'll even let you know when the best stuff arrives :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwai said:

The laughing emoji is in appreciation of the fine art of "insider" directions --  "Don't go to butchers where the Jamaican ladies don't line up :D "

Usually, I've seen if you go to good south Asian butcher shops, you get good meat (most big ethnic grocery stores have attached butcher shops unless they are explicitly vegetarian). Befriend the butcher and the store manager and they'll even let you know when the best stuff arrives :D

I bought goat from a non Asian,  non halal source once. A goat dairy had some at the farmers market.  Very different texture and color and the dish turned out different too. But very good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

A Jamaican friend gave me his recipe for curry goat when we lived in London, during the mad cow days.

His main point was to go to Dalston Market and find the halal butchers. One of them would have fat Jamaican ladies in line. This was the line to be in, I was to confirm this with the ladies

" Excuse me  .... are you the fat Jamaican ladies ? "

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

and get what they told me to get.

:) 

5 hours ago, dwai said:

I like going to the butchers up on the plateau ;,all their meat  is locally sourced ; beef , - the area is full of cattle , healthy looking ones roaming around  free in the green fields  in a good healthy environment up on the plateau in he fresh cool air ,    pigs  and sheep a little bit further west in the area , local chickens, a near by trout farm  ....   its alsoa big potato  growing area,  market gardens for veg  - good rich soil. .

r0_270_5184_3186_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

and also, for strange reasons , this ;

55c31bec4d83189cc833cccc91846095.jpg

dozens and dozens of derelict abandoned steam locomotives on a line that ends there but goes no where .

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, liminal_luke said:

That sounds delicious.  Wish I had a good local source for goat!

I'll bet your local carniceria could come up with one, given a few days...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, manitou said:

I'll bet your local carniceria could come up with one, given a few days...

Thanks!  I´ve never seen goat available here but you´re probably right.  Goat is a Mexican specialty in Monterrey.  I visited that northern metropolis once and have vivid memories of pickup trucks loaded with baby goats bleating away, presumably headed for slaughter.  It was almost enough to lead a guy to vegetarianism.  Almost.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

Brown Butter Salad Dressing

Melt butter in a sauce pan and cook for a minute or two.  Add salt, honey, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard and pour over salad greens.  It´s a lot better than it sounds.  There´s something about the flavor that reminds me of a BigMac.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Pickles and mustard ? That must be it, I think its the only 'flavour'  in one .

I am back into Mex  lately ;    tomartillo salsa ( and I got a new crop just coming up )  with chilli, coriander , red onions, lime juice and corn oil .  Blackened  'cherry' 'Russian black' tomatoes , blackened red capsicum peppers , rice with some pickled jalapeño on it , refried black beans with fresh roasted and crushed cumin, fried onion and garlic and some  melted cheese and  smoked chipotle sauce on top,  lettuce sprinkled with chopped garlic chives , and a big blob of sour cream, a few spoons of red sauce on the side and a bunch of fresh hot corn tortilla .

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nungali said:

Pickles and mustard ? That must be it, I think its the only 'flavour'  in one .

I am back into Mex  lately ;    tomartillo salsa ( and I got a new crop just coming up )  with chilli, coriander , red onions, lime juice and corn oil .  Blackened  'cherry' 'Russian black' tomatoes , blackened red capsicum peppers , rice with some pickled jalapeño on it , refried black beans with fresh roasted and crushed cumin, fried onion and garlic and some  melted cheese and  smoked chipotle sauce on top,  lettuce sprinkled with chopped garlic chives , and a big blob of sour cream, a few spoons of red sauce on the side and a bunch of fresh hot corn tortilla .

Sounds magical, can you package and send that through the astral and make reform over here?

21 hours ago, old3bob said:

Sounds magical, can you package and send that through the astral and make reform over here?

Its easy to make . Even you could make it .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nungali said:

Its easy to make . Even you could make it .

righto, but even I don't like doing the dishes unless I get in a Zen zone...