Shadao

The single question of a new one

Maybe it's because I am both a new member and someone new to Daoism/Taoism in general, but I do have a single question.

Considering that I am currently busy with university, I have to be very careful when setting time aside for anything else, and this year I want to be the year of my most drastic changes(with an ardent desire for them all to be good ones) in all aspects of my life.

So, based on your experiences and knowledge, on which should I focus first(or focus the most)?

Developing my body(i.e. working out) or developing my energy system/Qi/stillgettingusedtotheseterminologieshere?

Good question.  You kinda want things to do double duty.  I'd say night time meditation routine.  Clear your mind and you'll sleep better and deeper.  Doesn't have to be long 15 or 20 minutes.  Learning deep relaxation and clearing your mind.  Once you have that down you can begin some of the energy based meditations.  

Look around at some qigong routines.  Preferably short easy ones.  Like 8 Brocades or one of my favorites Pan Gu which is short and simple, Michael Winn has a good youtube version of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lZVdt8t2WQ) look around for something connects to you.  

Learn the philosophy, you can start w/ Dao De Jing, then peruse works of Thomas Cleary, like 'Practical Taoism'.  Or find a good Podcast, they're free.   There one called Cup of Tao, has lots of subjects and most of them are about 10 minutes long.  Good way to learn about Taoist philosophy.  My favorite podcast is Infinitesmile, which is more Zen, but quite good. 

4 hours ago, thelerner said:

Good question.  You kinda want things to do double duty.  I'd say night time meditation routine.  Clear your mind and you'll sleep better and deeper.  Doesn't have to be long 15 or 20 minutes.  Learning deep relaxation and clearing your mind.  Once you have that down you can begin some of the energy based meditations.  

Look around at some qigong routines.  Preferably short easy ones.  Like 8 Brocades or one of my favorites Pan Gu which is short and simple, Michael Winn has a good youtube version of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lZVdt8t2WQ) look around for something connects to you.  

Learn the philosophy, you can start w/ Dao De Jing, then peruse works of Thomas Cleary, like 'Practical Taoism'.  Or find a good Podcast, they're free.   There one called Cup of Tao, has lots of subjects and most of them are about 10 minutes long.  Good way to learn about Taoist philosophy.  My favorite podcast is Infinitesmile, which is more Zen, but quite good. 

Do you know if there is a list(or something similar) of sorts stating all(or most) of known qigong routines?

Because as I have no idea of what is out there(or here) I am unable to pick something that "connects to me".

Also, thanks for the options.I'll be sure to check on them later on the day.

3 hours ago, RiverSnake said:

What are your goals? 

In what sense?

In general?In my "Journey to Dao"?For the far future?For right now?

6 hours ago, Knowthing said:

In what sense?

In general?In my "Journey to Dao"?For the far future?For right now?

Enlightenment is a bit of a joke IMO....though still a worthy goal. The techniques you would apply to achieve enlightenment is very different from those you would to become a healer or an internal martial artist. There's no single route. 

Deciding your goals be it vague or specific is helpful in order to orient oneself in seeking. Each individual has there own nature...it's important to look inward and know thyself. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Knowthing said:

Do you know if there is a list(or something similar) of sorts stating all(or most) of known qigong routines?

Because as I have no idea of what is out there(or here) I am unable to pick something that "connects to me".

Also, thanks for the options.I'll be sure to check on them later on the day.

Again, good questions and a dilemma we all face/d.  What is good, what is out there.. there's no guide or list as far as I know.  Its very subjective.  One person guru is another's fraud.  One persons system of enlightenment is another's load of extraneous cultural baggage.  

So, you start where you can.  Learn a bit.  Meet people, get their subjective, limited opinion and fate steers you where it will.  In truth Taoism is pretty small.  It's not like there are temples w/ 'real' Taoists near by.  So most people shoot for 'cultivation' with a Taoist influence.  Thus don't dismiss a nearby Tai Chi, Yoga or internal martial arts place thats nearby.  

Where you start is not where you'll end.  But starting is important and there can be gems in unlikely places.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RiverSnake said:

Enlightenment is a bit of a joke IMO....though still a worthy goal. The techniques you would apply to achieve enlightenment is very different from those you would to become a healer or an internal martial artist. There's no single route. 

Deciding your goals be it vague or specific is helpful in order to orient oneself in seeking. Each individual has there own nature...it's important to look inward and know thyself. 

Well I can say that my three main goals right now are:

-Getting stronger(in all kinds of senses, but with a bit more emphasis on the physical part)

-Improving myself(both through learning new things as well as becoming a better version of my current self)

-Figuring out who I am and what I want.

Nothing too fancy, nothing too "spiritual" or too grand(i.e. I'm not looking for enlightment nor to find the answers of life or spread peace and love, I just want to get better and find myself while doing that).

2 hours ago, thelerner said:

Again, good questions and a dilemma we all face/d.  What is good, what is out there.. there's no guide or list as far as I know.  Its very subjective.  One person guru is another's fraud.  One persons system of enlightenment is another's load of extraneous cultural baggage.  

So, you start where you can.  Learn a bit.  Meet people, get their subjective, limited opinion and fate steers you where it will.  In truth Taoism is pretty small.  It's not like there are temples w/ 'real' Taoists near by.  So most people shoot for 'cultivation' with a Taoist influence.  Thus don't dismiss a nearby Tai Chi, Yoga or internal martial arts place thats nearby.  

Where you start is not where you'll end.  But starting is important and there can be gems in unlikely places.  

Eh I meant the names of the routines so I can search for them and see if I agree with them(and them with me) or not.

I'm not asking for judgement if they're good or not, just their names.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Knowthing said:

-Getting stronger(in all kinds of senses, but with a bit more emphasis on the physical part)

-Improving myself(both through learning new things as well as becoming a better version of my current self)

So to narrow that down a bit: 

1. Physical Health 

2. Self Improvement 

3. Self Knowledge 

All of these goals are inter-related, what you would do is try and find a method that touches all of these bases. But more importantly, a method that is suited to your nature. 

Each individuals "nature" can be revealed in areas of life/hobbies/passions that they gravitate towards. What spheres of life that you have found yourself involved in consistently overtime? These will give clues to your natural affinities. 

To give an example of "spheres" that we all have some experience with....in the high school lunch room....there are different "clicks" or "types" of people whom gravitate towards one another and "hang out". Nerds, Cheerleaders, Jocks, Emos, Thugs, Loners....etc. These all represent different styles of energy. What spheres of society have you found yourself in over time? This will give clues on what path is suited to your nature. 

This can be further extrapolated to Archetypes or Deities. which are "Higher" expressions of basic groups. 

KAP system(google it, online classes), Stillness Movement system(founder was an old member here), Flying Phoenix (comprehensive system, long thread here), Damo Mitchell (free online class)Max Christensons Kunlun, Michael Winns various Chi gung videos and CDs, 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

To give an example of "spheres" that we all have some experience with....in the high school lunch room....there are different "clicks" or "types" of people whom gravitate towards one another and "hang out". Nerds, Cheerleaders, Jocks, Emos, Thugs, Loners....etc. These all represent different styles of energy. What spheres of society have you found yourself in over time? This will give clues on what path is suited to your nature. 

Usually the loner(by choice as I am an introvert and prefer to have my personal space with just myself most of the times) with few, but true, friends.Very artistic, somehow able to make friends(or at least acquaintances) with all kinds of people(but I seem to interact better with people that aren't wealthy or rich).The weird ones(in a playful sense), the odd ones(with interesting quirks or traits), with interests in Asian cultures.

Most of all, people that respect my choices and opinions same as I do to them.People that listen.

Oh, and the eclectic ones, the ones that tend to be more than just one thing or like/do more than just one thing from a certain subject and such.

Edited by Knowthing
Add

4 minutes ago, thelerner said:

KAP system(google it, online classes), Stillness Movement system(founder was an old member here), Flying Phoenix (comprehensive system, long thread here), Damo Mitchell (free online class)Max Christensons Kunlun, Michael Winns various Chi gung videos and CDs, 

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Great, now we can narrow it down ever further. Are there any archetypes that you've found a strong affinity for from movies or popular culture. This is usually a clue as well as to where your strongest affinity lies. When it comes to loner archetypes: Odin, Shiva, Miyamoto Musashi....etc. 

In Taoist cultivation sometimes there is an emphasis on Fire vs Water systems of cultivation. Fire methods represent rapid and explosive methods which provide quick results. Water emphasizes a deep saturation of the system and the gradual build up of energy to do deep and intense cleansing and smoothing of the system (rock in a stream). 

Fire/Water are the basic polarities but every system tends to be a varied mix of energies and thus manifest in different ways. To use an extremely Yin example....simply meditate on Being Open to the Universe....like a Flower unfolding to receive the rays of the Sun...allowing the Cosmic Power to naturally flow through you. 

Yang example: intense prananyama of breathing into the LDT and using very intense, powerful and rapid breath pacing to build energy.

Animal systems emphasized in martial systems are also a reflection of different mixtures/compositions of energies. 

Take notes on anything that effects you strongly...like a deep intuitive pull. 

5 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

Great, now we can narrow it down ever further. Are there any archetypes that you've found a strong affinity for from movies or popular culture. This is usually a clue as well as to where your strongest affinity lies. When it comes to loner archetypes: Odin, Shiva, Miyamoto Musashi....etc.

When you mention "archetypes" from movies and popular culture(also, can in this cathegory be included game characters or book characters?) you mean in general or with focus on loners?

8 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

In Taoist cultivation sometimes there is an emphasis on Fire vs Water systems of cultivation. Fire methods represent rapid and explosive methods which provide quick results. Water emphasizes a deep saturation of the system and the gradual build up of energy to do deep and intense cleansing and smoothing of the system (rock in a stream).

I don't know if this might say something about what method is best for me, but my personality would be akin to fire.Unless you add more wood or gas to it, it will stay low or "chill", controlable.Otherwise, it will become a roaring blaze.

On the other hand I tend to always feel calm, or even "healed" whenever I am submerged under water or have it fall in my head.

13 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

Take notes on anything that effects you strongly...like a deep intuitive pull.

Yes, I will start to pay active attention from now on.It is interesting to think back on some moments and only now realize how they affected me or how some of them seemed to have similar "themes" or situations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Knowthing said:

When you mention "archetypes" from movies and popular culture(also, can in this cathegory be included game characters or book characters?) you mean in general or with focus on loners?

Ofcourse. 

The list of styles that Lerner just gave you all have different energetics. Sifting through those and seeing what resonates may be a good place to start. You will find many other styles on the forum. 

Here are a few more: Spring Forest Qigong, Strategic Sorcery (Magick course for crazy occultists...:p), Way of Energy, Hoshin Budo (martial/spiritual), and Tai Chi.  

Edited by RiverSnake
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

Ofcourse. 

The list of styles that Lerner just gave you all have different energetics. Sifting through those and seeing what resonates may be a good place to start. You will find many other styles on the forum. 

Here are a few more: Spring Forest Qigong, Strategic Sorcery (Magick course for crazy occultists...:p), Way of Energy, Hoshin Budo (martial/spiritual), and Tai Chi.  

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Knowthing said:

1. To get stronger go to the gym and work out.

2. To learn more, read.

3. To figure out who you are....... that's a doozy there. Better to ask what you are. This can take life times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmattwads said:

1. To get stronger go to the gym and work out.

2. To learn more, read.

3. To figure out who you are....... that's a doozy there. Better to ask what you are. This can take life times.

1.I cannot afford a gym, and honestly knowing what is going on(the pandemy), I do not think it would be safe to go to one.People here just do not seem to respect the distance and the use of masks.

2.Already doing it.Aside trying to learn a new language I am trying to read two books at once(one about something I like and one about something I think I need to know).

3.If I can end the year knowing even  just a bit more about myself, I will already call it a success.Because all I know is very superficial knowledge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Knowthing said:

1.I cannot afford a gym, and honestly knowing what is going on(the pandemy), I do not think it would be safe to go to one.People here just do not seem to respect the distance and the use of masks.

2.Already doing it.Aside trying to learn a new language I am trying to read two books at once(one about something I like and one about something I think I need to know).

3.If I can end the year knowing even  just a bit more about myself, I will already call it a success.Because all I know is very superficial knowledge.

1. Understandable. I do push-ups, leg lifts, crunches, and simple Qigong movements at home. It's possible to get quite a bit out of this sort of thing.

2. Very nice.

3. Probably the best way to learn what you are is to meditate. When the water gets still you can see to the bottom of the pond.

• Like 2

I'll propose a 3rd to your Original Question. Diet. Now I don't eat some crazy diet, some do, and I wish to sooner than later. But! I do make sure to drink very clean Water from an Artesian Well. I drink about a gallon a day. 

1 hour ago, Lha Bho said:

I'll propose a 3rd to your Original Question. Diet. Now I don't eat some crazy diet, some do, and I wish to sooner than later. But! I do make sure to drink very clean Water from an Artesian Well. I drink about a gallon a day. 

No well nearby but I try to drink 3~4 liters per day.

I also have been doing intermittent fasting since last year's January and already lost almost 10kg.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 3:22 PM, Knowthing said:

Considering that I am currently busy with university, I have to be very careful when setting time aside for anything else, and this year I want to be the year of my most drastic changes(with an ardent desire for them all to be good ones) in all aspects of my life.

So, based on your experiences and knowledge, on which should I focus first(or focus the most)?

Developing my body(i.e. working out) or developing my energy system/Qi/stillgettingusedtotheseterminologieshere?

Many good suggestions here.

IMHO, since you are in university, I'm going to assume you are below 30 -- I would recommend you take up a good moving meditation practice -- something that will give you a bit of a workout, and also help you with your mind/focus (to help with your academics and further spiritual studies). If you like a more vigorous type of workout, take up Xingyi practice or Chen style Taijiquan. If you like a more subtle and meditative practice, learn the Chen Man Ching style (CMC 37) from a competent teacher. 

Looks like you already have your diet etc well sorted out -- that'll give you a good balanced mind-body-energetic practice -- and these arts are gifts that keep on giving -- the more you put into them, the deeper and more profound their returns, life-long. :) 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, Knowthing said:

On the other hand I tend to always feel calm, or even "healed" whenever I am submerged under water or have it fall in my head.

Yes, I will start to pay active attention from now on.It is interesting to think back on some moments and only now realize how they affected me or how some of them seemed to have similar "themes" or situations.

These archetypes will manifest in your reality whether you realize it or not. When i was younger i was involved in a swim team, martial arts and loved playing video games. There are different underlying energetics in all these areas. 

I had a guy friend who had a very yin personality and felt completely calm when around water. For me, watching a tiger stalk its prey is pure joy. Keep gathering clues.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RiverSnake said:

These archetypes will manifest in your reality whether you realize it or not. When i was younger i was involved in a swim team, martial arts and loved playing video games. There are different underlying energetics in all these areas. 

I had a guy friend who had a very yin personality and felt completely calm when around water. For me, watching a tiger stalk its prey is pure joy. Keep gathering clues.  

I might even end up writting about all the clues gathered, just for the fun of it.

• Thanks 1