thelerner

Gaming Corner- What's your game

Just saw a movie with a strong emphasis on VR and role playing.  Popular Japanese film called Belle.  Nice, especially for the music and Miyazaki-like beautiful world.

On Netflix I finished SAO, Sword Art Online- 4 seasons about a future world where VR is advanced and hugely popular.  The first season was especially good, about a massive VR game where players were trapped and could die. 

I assume VR, like the Oculus or should I say Meta(?) is still in its infancy.  It'll get lighter and more powerful and be a real boon for home bound and hospitalized individuals.   There's alot of potential in it.  It brings games to life but could go way beyond gaming. 

In the Belle movie they side stepped the whole 'wearing mask' aspect and it was simply headphones you put on and they were enough to interface directly w/ the brain to give and get lifelike imagery vs Ready Player One where you needed the helmet, suit and hanging cable system.

The SAO series touches on the use of VR for those who can't move.  Such uses are being improved now, and I assume will be widespread, even used for mundanities like shopping and chatting in a more 3D form.

Edited by thelerner

5 minutes ago, Iliketurtles said:

GO BUY ELDEN RING!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

No…

Spoiler

It’s fucking LIT, dude!!!!

• Like 1

For me my most common game to fall on with me and my boys is rainbow six siege. Kinda bummed I have to always use a VM to run it on my Linux system but over all it works and I have a good time

You can look into pubg pc or call of duty for streaming. Fornite and Apex legends are also one of the most streaming games.

On 01/03/2022 at 10:11 PM, thelerner said:

I assume VR, like the Oculus or should I say Meta(?) is still in its infancy.

It's definitely getting better. Stuff like Beat Saber is incredible fun, while Swarm is like spiderman with machine guns. There's lots of sword fighting and boxing games on there too that are excellent, and in some cases provide a full workout.

But yes, the games are fairly unsophisticated, as they're developed by indie studios. There's nothing yet with the open world immersion of Witcher III or Skyrim.

Slowly though they're getting more major studios in to release big budget titles, like the new Iron Man game by Marvel. So that could change pretty quickly.

Lately been really caught up playing Binding of Isaac: Repentance. I can't get enough, followed by Tetris Effect: Connected, the Bayonetta trilogy, SMTV and Persona 5R, and Bloodborne.

Edited by Earl Grey

Showing more money than sense I upgraded from Oculus Quest II to III.  

I like it.  Not only is the resolution and processor upgraded but the new color pass thru gives more Assisted Reality style possible games and apps.  

I like zombie games and it allows you to map out a room, draw in a window, hallway and table and the zombies come at you from your living room.  Likewise Pianovision turns your keyboard into a guitar hero set up where note flow down and you've can get a score while playing your own piano.  

Not only are you physically active but there are great opportunities for group play.  Putting players into the same room.  Fighting each other, or working together on board games like Chess or Catan, or DnD adventures.. 

I'm hoping the medium survives and this is an infancy.   We'll see if it evolves in new interesting directions.  For better interconnection between people, for elderly who can't leave the house or bed (its a great way to watch movies if you subscribe to streaming)

• Like 1

My son loves his Occulus.  I love watching his view on the monitor while he plays.  It's second gen and still baby steps but it's really impressive to me.  There's only one game I play on it, which is Aircar.  You get to drive one of the police cruisers from Bladerunner around an open future city in the rain with a stellar soundtrack playing.  It's so immersive I sometimes get vertigo while cruising.  Great stuff.  I'm looking forward to upgrading in another generation or two.

My wife and I got back into online gaming a year ago and now she and I are currently running an end game content guild in the MMO Elder Scrolls Online. 

We've gathered a group of fantastic gamer folks from around the globe.  We meet twice a week for scheduled hard mode runs, then fill out spots during the rest of the week with dungeons and achievement runs, or just hang out in chat and talk shop and life.  It's pretty remarkable what gaming has become in my lifetime... (from pong and Monopoly to VR and world wide gaming runs).

In our scheduled weekly roster runs we have folks from Germany, Australia and India along with a couple Canadians in addition to the US crowd.  We've also picked up a solid group of retired and elder folks and it's been amazing to see the benefit they get from not only socializing, but the rather intricate needs of each person in a 12 man roster needing to fill specific tasks and roles in order for the group to succeed.  It's team work, communication and a hell of a lot of laughter. 

Play for love, play for joy.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 8:51 PM, Shadao said:

RPG is my favorite genre.Character creation, skilltrees(or better yet, mix-n-match unrelated skills for a customized "tree") and a rich backstory are my jam.

FPS comes in second place, as I do enjoy games with action, kind of a reason why a rich game like "Control" has become a favorite.

Although I am still faithful to the trilogy of Mass Effect, Control comes close.

Horizon Zero Dawn is awesome too.

Overall, I prefer games where I can go my own pace and play solo, but I can make exceptions for multiplayer games that caught my attention.

I would like to try to play some MILSIM with games like "Squad", "Arma" and such, but I just do not have the tactical mind nor experience to actually do it...maybe in the future.But not now.

Lately I have been playing oldies like "Prototype", "The Chronicles of Riddick", "Second Sight" and some point and click adventure games.

I have no experience with TTRPG(neither as player nor as DM/GM/Storyteller/Etc.), but I do have the material of ones I would like to try one day.Mostly from the World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness(Werewolf, Mage, Demon...heck, maybe even Promethean or Mummy), but there are others like Dark Matter, City of Mist and Shadowrun.

and which are your favourite rpgs?

My cousin's been laid up with a lung problem for a few months.  He's doing better and got himself a Quest 3.  He's been playing Dungeons Of Eternity, so I got a copy and joined him in cyberspace.  It was alot of fun.  I was lucky to play with him as a newbie since some things were not easy to find out on my own.  

The game uses the media very well, turning the world into a DnD style dungeon.  I look forward to gaining some competence in it and playing with others.  If any of you have copies, I'm thelerner , just look for the character with the Dao Bums T-shirt fumbling desperately for a healing potion.