Sign in to follow this  
kingfred

a specific area i want to control

I'm trying to find ways to control my mind. I repeatedly watch my thoughts catch onto anything that could relate to a traumatic experience in my past, and take some of my concentration. I'd like to find a type of meditation that would help me with this and let my mind continue on it's way. I'd also like to have more composure over my brain. I practice NLP, Chia's inner smile and microcosmic orbit, and some meditations out of Ram Dass's 'be here now' which are helpful. Anybody have some suggestions? I believe this is my last particularly noticeable ego-trip. the rest will just be a calming of the mind, and spiritual growth with my wife.

Edited by kingfred

I'm trying to find ways to control my mind. ....... I practice NLP, .....and some meditations out of Ram Dass's 'be here now' which are helpful. Anybody have some suggestions? ......the rest will just be a calming of the mind, and spiritual growth with my wife.

dropping these two exercises in futility will be a good start. A mind attached to marketing vehicles will not be calm.

find a comfortable location

light some incense (optional)

sit down

close your eyes

breathe

you don't need any fancy meditation

Deep question.

The mind cannot be controlled.

The way to go about it is to let it be. Just like you cannot stop a river. You have basically two options, as to how to go about it.

Either sit on the shore and observe the chaos, or become the river.

I've really struggled with wanting something out of my meditation: Peace, absence of thoughts, calm, becoming more detatched, etc. The whole crux with real meditation is that there is nothing you can get out of it.

But my experience is that correct meditation is when you are being meditated. This means that you have no say in what goes on. You're not setting the agenda. When this emerges, alot of pain, emotion, sluggishness, boredom and downright hell comes up.

Better deal with it.

Sometimes, it's better not to meditate. Maybe go for a walk, or climb a mountain, or visit a friend. Other times, meditation is good only if you give up hoping that it will make anything better or different.

Just my hard earned 2 kroner

h

I'm trying to find ways to control my mind. I repeatedly watch my thoughts catch onto anything that could relate to a traumatic experience in my past, and take some of my concentration. I'd like to find a type of meditation that would help me with this and let my mind continue on it's way. I'd also like to have more composure over my brain. I practice NLP, Chia's inner smile and microcosmic orbit, and some meditations out of Ram Dass's 'be here now' which are helpful. Anybody have some suggestions? I believe this is my last particularly noticeable ego-trip. the rest will just be a calming of the mind, and spiritual growth with my wife.

www.dragonherbs.com if you are in the States.

They have different products for stabilizing the mind...

unfortunately I have so far never found one that completely shuts the monkey off...

but they DO HELP immensely...

:)

Harry

Meditation and Taoism is about non-attachment. Motion comes from stillness. Returning is the motion of the Tao. If you mind is goind in all directions wait til it calms before beginning your meditation. Quiet sitting is a way to calm your mind.

Wu Wei er Wu Bu Wei....Do Nothing and Leave Nothing Undone.....

Wudangspirit

well, i just want things throughout the day to not remind me of something that some kids did to me. See these kids gave me drugs and then tried to tell me I was weak and gay. Thanks to the drugs, even though that is all completely untrue, it got burned into my brain. So now, for instance, whenever a guy with his shirt off is on TV, my breath will get more tense. This never happened untill this bad trip happened. So i'm just trying to learn how to go back to the way I was before the drugs, and not notice subtle things that could be gay. This is actually not a big deal to me, I know my sexuality and thank the world for making me the sex that I am. which reminds me to ask about celibacy cause that'll be a hard one to explain to my wife, but that's for another thread. well, the shit's lame but anyone got any suggestions?

thank you freeform, you spoke to me.

"I'm trying to find ways to control my mind" "I'm trying to find ways to control my mind"

"I'm trying to find ways to control my" "trying to find ways to control my mind"

"I'm trying to find ways to control" "to find ways to control my mind"

"I'm trying to find ways" "find ways to control my mind"

"I'm trying to find" "ways to control my mind"

"I'm trying to" "to control my mind"

"I'm trying" "control my mind"

"I'm" "my mind"

"I" "mind"

......................................??

I like that alot too

Sign in to follow this