Trunk

Noni juice

I bought some noni juice for my 4 year old son who has eczema. The problem is I can't get him to drink it, doesn't like the taste - tried mixing it in his favorite drink - milk. And then apple juice. Ugh! Any ideas welcome :)

Matt

keep mixing--maybe coke or OJ or do some kind of frozen smoothie thing. -Y

Mathew, did you buy the straight stuff(which I did) or the stuff cut w/ juice? The straight stuff is a hard sell, even to adults, even w/ mixing. The mixed juice is suppose to taste much better.

So if you have the straight, keep it for yourself and try the mixed on the kid.

Peace

Michael

That reminds me. My 5 year old had strep(2nd time in 1 month). The Dr. gave him 20 days of Pennicilin. Child refused to drink it(we had had it flavored). Begged and threatened, no luck, he sip and spit it out.

Finally, drink it or you'll get a 5 minute time out. He took the 5 minutes. I let him calm down for a few minutes, then, drink it or 10 minute time out. He took the 10 minutes. Let him watch TV for a few minutes, then take it or 20 minute time out. He took 20 minutes, yelling and screaming for most of it (wife couldn't take my gestapo methods and left the house)

After the 20 minutes, I let him cool down a little, then told him, its another 20 minutes if you don't take the medicine. He took it and has been taking it w/out fuss twice a day ever since. Seemingly w/ no bad feelings for me.

Moral of the story? I don't know.

Peas

Thanks Michael and Yoda,

Michael, I am laughing my ass off!!!!! very close to home.

I did get the straight stuff not knowing what to expect. I think I will try getting the mixed kind first, use the straight stuff myself (like I am bothered by that :) ) I wasn't sure about getting the juice mix becuase I thought I had read that it wasn't as good or something... Any recommended mixed brands?

Matt

Thanks Trunk!

Uh, Michael. Well, I told my wife your story and she had a similar reaction to your wife :) actually she was asking about your name so she could report you to child services, :o), no kidding!

Man, the difference between men and women perplex me...

Matt

Cat,

Don't know about noni, but Ms. Yoda's Prilosec level stomach acid situation was 100% gone after 2 weeks of a low fat vegan diet. Mine was less severe, but it went away too.

Yours,

Yoda

if this is the same as the chinese gouqizi (Lycium barbarum, english: wolfberry), then it's been around a very long time, at least in china towns. i know the spelling looks different, but goji looks like a transliteration for the same thing (zi in this case meaning berry). excellent kidney tonic and lung tonic. you can snack on the dried berries which you can buy incredibly cheaply in any china town. as with everything in chinese medicine it goes by diferent names. dahong gouqizi is a very common variety. means literally "big red wolfberry." Since it was Linnaeus who named it, we can conclude it's been in western herbariums for over 225 years.

yep its the same stuff.

Presumably the Noni is such a strong bitter tonic that it stimulates one's digestion to work better?

I've been wondering about this noni juice...and marvelling at the price of it, especially, as Peter says, you can pick up the dried berries so cheaply.

Cat, summarizing what Michael Tierra says in The Way of Chinese Herbs the Gou Qi Zi affects liver, kidney, and lung organs and meridians. Its energy and flavour is neutral and sweet. It's a blood and yin tonic, lowers cholestrol, and blood sugar, antihepatotoxin.

It's used for deficiency of blood and yin, especially when ocurring in the liver and kidneys. Nourishes liver and benefits essence....used for yin deficiency of the lungs when there is consumptive cough.

Contraindications: Lycii berries [Gou Qi Zi; Fructus lycci, wolfberries] should not be used by those with patterns of heat and excess or when there is spleen deficiency with dampness or loose stools.

Definitely not for everyone. But awesome for those who can take it. Super antioxidant.

Doesn't seem to be indicated for stomach and spleen, surprisingly. Maybe it's digestive effects are from its liver, cholesterol, and blood sugar effects?

Hi Cat,

Soo long ago. How the past comes back to haunt us. After a few days my stomach acid came back as bad as usual. Gentle herbal remedies like noni and licorice didn't work. Strict dieting did. Going veggie as well as its opposite Atkins !?

I didn't stay on either diet long enough for long term results, thus I'm a long term prilosecerian.

Michael

p.s About the child. After many bouts of strep we found out he was strep 'carrier'. He was also usually stuffed up and had a hard time breathing at night. Doctors recommended taking out his large tonsils. We avoided it for a year. Then did it. Great decision. Strep and night gasping went away.

My father takes Goji and swears by it, more energy, less stress and blood pressure has come down.

Im currently experimenting with a product call FrequenSea which is marine Phyto-Plankton supplement, the story is our bodies are 70% water and the Earth is 70% water, yet we tend to attempt to derive 100% of our nutritional needs from the Earth's 30% landmass. Google FrequenSea or Forevergreen they are the company that make the stuff. I must admit Im sleeping like a log since I started taking this stuff and have also noticed more energy all round including my libido.

Daniel

Great site Matthew. I've used apple cider vinegar in the past. I think it worked well. I've heard it described as the best cure all for the buck.

The problem with life is you try things and even if they work well, you take them for granted and forget about them, only to rediscover them anew.

:lol:

Michael

As I understand it, a drug company made prilosec, it was a very popular once a day acid controller. When its patent was up they made it Over The Counter and released the expensive Nexium, which was chemically very similar, but they could get a new patent on.

I'll get some more noni. Are you using the straight stuff or premixed with juice?

:)

Michael

Mrs Yoda and I tried ACV for heartburn and it worked but the only "stop it dead in its tracks" relief we found was through veganism or Prilosec.

Prilosec is awesome, by the way, and no need for any sort of lifestyle change either. Cat, I'm sure you could order it online. As long term heartburn can be a problem, it's important to snuff it completely and forever imo.

I take ACV in a calcium/magnesium powder which is flavourless and dissolves in water. It's very calming to the digestion.

I've been taking the noni juice for two days now, and I find it - at this early stage - very strengthening. I feel strengthened in my core. No heartburn at all for two days, whilst taking it.

Have also been eating vegan and having no stimulants.

Michael, We dont have prilosec in the UK. At least not under that name. Is it a supressant?

Conventional medicine for this issue in the UK is to supress - which I believe in the long term makes the situation worse.. :(

Maybe try a short fast

Acid blockers like Prilosec don't get rid of the problem, only mask it and drive it deeper into the system so it's worsening the situation. The problem is rarely too much acid. When the stomach has too little acid, this causes the esophageal sphincter to malfunction and allow what little acid you do have in the stomach, to go up into the esophagus where it burns. So reflux is actually in most cases a symptom of too little stomach HCl.

Thigs that can interfere with HCl production are gluten grains (wheat, rye, barley), and sugar, mostly, which are ubiquitous in the standard American diet. It's not the elimination of animal foods that helps, but eliminating the unhealthy foods in general, which interfere with HCl production.

Of course vegan diets that emphasize fruits and veggies are going to be lighter on gluten grains and sugar than the standard american diet, but not because of the vegan aspect of it. Same reason why vegan diets seem to help a lot of things, even if you added high-quality animal foods to it. Then of course it's not vegan anymore, but that's the point ;)

Someone could be sick from living on Twinkies, and claim that a vegan diet cured them. Well, it might have been just getting off the Twinkies.

If you continually block stomach acid, you're blocking a very needed component of digestion - there's no way to simply snuff the symptom out without a significant ripple effect. Remember the old commercial, "It's not nice to fool mother nature" :D

Raw and fermented foods, animal foods from grass-fed animals, cutting out gluten grains and refined sugars, good way to avoid reflux and many other problems caused by foods that don't belong in the diet.

Sometimes supplementing with a little HCl can help too. Even for people who have acute heartburn, you'd be surprised how the HCl helps. And drinking enough good quality water. Digestive herbs, bitters, lots of additional things if needed, but most people can completely reverse the situation with only a few diet changes.

-Karen

Edited by karen

Hi Cat,

There are various diet typologies - the blook type diet by Dr D'Adamo (which has some fallacies IMO but can be useful if you pick out certain aspects of it), Metabolic typing by William Wolcott, and Glandular typing by Dr. Abravanel. Can be very useful guidelines.

Just be aware that averson to meat is sometimes a symptom of protein deficiency, and also comes under the Tubercular miasm (we all have these latent miasms, some more active than others in particular people). So you really have to sort through the issues to determine where the meat aversion is coming from, and not just assume that the person is naturally a type who does best on a vegetarian diet (and there are very few of those).

Sometimes our food likes/dislikes draw us to what we need, and sometimes not :).

> HCI? wot is dis? hydrocloric acid?

Yup. HCl with a lower case L.

Re. Nux, it can be great for symptoms of overindulgence! But if the ongoing cause is wrong diet, you really have to address the cause.

Caveat on slippery elm/marshmallow - they can interfere with proper absorption of nutrients over time, but great for short-term relief. For charcoal, I'd prefer potentized Carbo Veg, but you'd really have to look at the particular symptom picture.

This is not addressed to you, but it's kind of pet peeve of mine, that there's such a market for all these special supplements (not to mention drugs) to make symptoms go away without understanding what the symptom is trying to signal.

Karen

Edited by karen

I seem to remember a friend telling me about a book she read in which several 'types' were described, and the correct diet and food affinities were described for each type. Some people being hunter types who crave meat and quantities of it and can go long periods without food, and gatherer types who need smaller more regular meals with no real craving for meat.

This is nonsense. All animals eat a more or less specific diet which is natural for them.

Why should humans be any different.

Mad cow disease is caused by cows eating meat which is unnatural for them.

We create disease in humans by eating unnaturally.

Writing a diet book is a great way to make money.

Got to have a new gimmick.

People are always looking for shortcuts so they can eat whatever they want.

as Karen said " Someone could be sick from living on Twinkies, and claim that a vegan diet cured them. Well, it might have been just getting off the Twinkies."

Karen,

You're right of course. You should coin the term ITDS, Its The Diet Stupid. Why the arthritis, the Gerd, the fatness, the aches, pains, the premature aging, the cancers, the strokes?

You can mask it with drugs, massage it a little herbs, but ITDS.

Proper diet isn't a cure all, but its a cure most.

I'm smart enough to realize it, but too dumb to put it into practice long term.

Michael

Actually thats great tittle for a diet book. ITDS. Ofcourse after write, I'd be exposed, the pictures of me stuffing would twinkies down my throat would hurt sales.