Sign in to follow this  
SirPalomides

Zhuangzi commentaries

I’ve started reading Brook Ziporyn’s edition of Zhuangzi, with selections from traditional commentaries, and the selections are really brilliant. I’ve always loved Zhuangzi but this makes the reading more enjoyable.

From Wang Fuzhi’s commentary on Zhuangzi, chapter 1:

“For us forms lodged here between heaven and earth there is only this wandering, this play, and nothing besides. It makes no difference how large or small: each stops only where it finds itself. Going forth but without any plan, coming back but not to any dwelling place—this is what it means to be free of dependence: not leaning on things to establish some identity for oneself, not leaning on projects to establish some merit for oneself, not leaning on actualities to establish some name for oneself. Large and small alike come to rest in the middle of Heaven the Potter’s Wheel and thus each wanders far and unfettered. 'Unfettered' means echoing beyond the dissolving tones—forgetting what has passed. 'Far' means pulled into the distance — not limited to the understanding consciousness. Hence, the theories of things can be made equal, the ruling force of life nourished, the physical form forgotten but its Virtuosity fulfilled, the world entered but its harm kept at bay, things responded to in a manner worthy of a true sovereign so that the empire comes to order. All are ways of attunement with the great source, forgetting both life and death. All can be wandered in — indeed, all are nothing but this wandering.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wang fuzhi understanding and my understanding of what zhuangzi was saying are pretty congruent. Good to know :)

I wish humans default to the way, but we seem to be natural dao obscurers/complicators

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 9:44 AM, lrn2livorlive2lrn said:

wang fuzhi understanding and my understanding of what zhuangzi was saying are pretty congruent. Good to know :)

I wish humans default to the way, but we seem to be natural dao obscurers/complicators

I remember telling my young kids, don't make it complicated, it is already complicated, but for whatever reasons, it was always complicated. I guess discipline, learning the hard way and education are always necessary. My $0.02

Sign in to follow this