sean

Chinese pillow history - What is the perfect pillow?

3 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

Don't stop there. With your single-handed overthrow of millenia of Annunaki-imposed soft-but-deadly somnial oppression, you are Rosa Parks, Che Guevara, Neo, Spartacus, and Muad'dib rolled into one. You are the chosen one. I am astounded that you can utter such brave things without constant fear of being dragged away by the space lizard cheka and sent to a gulag orbiting Betelgeuse.

Well...they were supposedly invented around 7000 BCE in early Mesopotamia...around 1500 years before these coneheaded figurines appeared there...and cEVILization subsequently "arose"...just sayin'... :lol:

lizardmen.jpg

In this period, archaeological evidence shows that egalitarianism is on the decline and stratification is on the rise. In short, agriculture and domestication of animals are becoming a primary subsistence strategy, making it possible for people to specialize in things skills ranging from basketry, weaving, and spinning to ceramic-making, brick-making, and metallurgy. Not everyone was needed to farm and raise animals. People started living in closer proximity and reed huts were giving way to mudbrick homes.

Now, should you choose to liberate yourself from your palatial Anunnaki prison and take the RED PILLow, though...be forewarned that possible side effects may include sudden Kundalini awakening and your pineal gland going supernova after the first week, like you've been binge-chugging Ayahuasca.  Source - Okita "Tech Buddha" Kato. :lol:

Edited by gendao

10 hours ago, Walker said:

Gendao,

You are ridiculous.

Not really .....

back in the 'good old days'  all types of 'people' where around .... lizard ( snake , actually )  men ....

lizardmen.jpg&key=106738fc4d42344942f728  

Reptilian-spotted-380x240.jpg

Note the red circled bit and the arrow  ( in case you missed it in the picture  :)  )

Green skinned octopus men/ gods/ aliens ;

16254555363_6a8bacfccc_b.jpg

Elephant people ;

1018092503_o.jpg

Alien Dr Moreau experiments  on Egyptians

0e106c2c2bffc4419fc4dd6907f4868f62356a92

of course, science and logic and intelligence dont reveal the real truth here .

I knows what I be seeing  here ... and dont try to tell me otherwise ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6PmH6D9GwhNJmmkYhgcJ

or I just bang on my 'information filter'  louder .

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, gendao said:

Hence, ditching your pillow becomes a scary, revolutionary act and another Rosa Parks moment.  Even though it simply makes total COMMON SENSE!

Oh, goodness gracious me, there have been plenty of laffs in this place of late, but I have not ever once giggled aloud from this website the way I did today. Rosa Parks? Ah? Ah? Ah? Ahahahahahahaha, you have got to be kidding me, amazing!

I'm just gonna wander off into the sunset today shaking my head and chuckling to myself. I do suspect I will have a very good sleep having just had that very good laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Walker said:

Oh, goodness gracious me, there have been plenty of laffs in this place of late, but I have not ever once giggled aloud from this website the way I did today. Rosa Parks? Ah? Ah? Ah? Ahahahahahahaha, you have got to be kidding me, amazing!

I'm just gonna wander off into the sunset today shaking my head and chuckling to myself. I do suspect I will have a very good sleep having just had that very good laugh.

You know, for a guy who keeps talking about broad strokes of history, truth, revolutions--it's amazing how the actual details of any one group of people, he never bothers to talk with them, doesn't speak their language, or spend time in their land, and then to me once said I wouldn't know anything about truth because I come from "colonized cultures" as though everyone who was "colonized" (and it's a very broad definition for him) is incapable of thinking at all. The actual quote was, "You lived in Hong Kong and the Philippines? You must be really brainwashed because they're both colonized people. That to me is probably more egregiously stupid than actual historical colonial mentality because it assumes nobody but him is able to think, when he hasn't even got any clue about individual histories or complexities--and assumes that modern people aren't ever able to go beyond his broad misunderstanding of colonialism. 

Using Rosa Parks and oppression for people whose lives were threatened on a daily basis and had institutional racism denying them rights and turning the other way as others sought to keep them down is a complete false comparison and false analysis, given that it's just a fucking pillow.

Yeah, good way to start the new year: laughing at the absurdity of a little man who thinks pillows are a result of oppression, and doesn't know that old Chinese literature had pillows in them too...but claims to be a Taoist...

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm curious if many folks only use head pillows?  After years of fussing and fine tuning, I now use six, (used to be eight) in a specific pattern.

My wife loves to goad me on my plethora of pillows but after decades of rock climbing, kung fu, working in construction and hiking/bicycling across much of North America and a fair amount of Canada... at age 50, I sleep soundly and wake daily without an alarm to no pain, so I swear by my setup. 

So here's my over the top silent thunder Six Pillow Form.

Two for the head.  One firm and slim, one loose and down.  The slim foam pillow is very firm, almost no give and has two bumps, one higher than the other with a valley between them.  When sleeping on my back, the higher bump perfectly fills the neck gap and cradles the back mirror, keeping the neck open and breathing passages at maximum suck and blow... (no snoring, or very minimal for short periods according to Mrs. thunder).  The down pillow goes on top of the foamie, as it's so loose, it fills gaps and gives way to pressure I find it particularly helpful to support the head in line with my spine when sleeping on my side.

Two long thin pillows in a T position, one between the thighs/knees and another for the ankles/feet.  This keeps legs in parallel line as in neutral standing/wuji posture and prevents the hips from cocking at an angle when sleeping on the side, which causes tension in the hips/lowerback.  When I sleep on my back, these two raise my calves and feet up slightly above the chest, easing workload on the heart and inducing the zero gravity position that lightly stretches the lower back out blissfully.

Most beloved is the one extra large hug pillow that I fold in half and hug to my chest with my topside arm while sleeping on my side.  She keeps my chest wide open by supporting the arm I drape over her.  I'm a thick cut viking guy with a broad chest and shoulders crafted from decades of force and work.  Without a hug pillow to support the upside arm, I wake frequently from pressure and reduced breath flow.  The others are all optional but this one has become mandatory if seeking to sleep on my side.

The sixth pillow is not always used but sits next to my head, it cradles my downside arm when i want it stretched out and don't have my hand under my head.  I find having that arm rest straight out on the bed, can induce tension in the elbow which transmits to the neck and will cause me to wake sometimes.

When sleeping on my back, the hug pillow and side pillow go to either side of the head, supporting the arms in freefall/zero gravity pose.

Interesting side note... in recent years,  i only sleep on my back during daylight hours for naps, and on my side at night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Nungali said:

Not really .....

back in the 'good old days'  all types of 'people' where around .... lizard ( snake , actually )  men ....

lizardmen.jpg&key=106738fc4d42344942f728  

Reptilian-spotted-380x240.jpg

Note the red circled bit and the arrow  ( in case you missed it in the picture  :)  )

Green skinned octopus men/ gods/ aliens ;

16254555363_6a8bacfccc_b.jpg

Elephant people ;

1018092503_o.jpg

Alien Dr Moreau experiments  on Egyptians

0e106c2c2bffc4419fc4dd6907f4868f62356a92

of course, science and logic and intelligence dont reveal the real truth here .

I knows what I be seeing  here ... and dont try to tell me otherwise ...

Judging by how messed up things have gotten, I’ve got a hunch it’s the flamingo-headed people who are running things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Nungali said:

Elephant people ;

1018092503_o.jpg

Nice selfie, but just FYI:

Because of the nature of who Shiva was – he was considered yaksha swaroopa or not of human origin – Parvathi could not bear his child.
Shiva took the head of one of the ganas and put it on the boy. Ganesh Chaturthi is the day this head transplant happened. Because he took the head off the leader of the ganas and put it on this boy, he said, “From now, you are a Ganapathi. You are the head of ganas.” Somewhere down the line, calendar artists could not understand what this other creature was, and drew an elephant face. The lore talks about how the ganas had limbs without bones. In this culture, a limb without bones meant an elephant trunk, so artists made it into an elephant head. You are not going to find an elephant on the banks of Manasarovar because the terrain is not right. There is not enough vegetation for an elephant. So Shiva could not have gone about chopping elephants. So, he is many things – Ganesha, Ganapathi, Vinayaka – but not Gajapathi.
The ganas were the companions of Shiva. We do not know where they came from, but generally the lore describes them as beings who do not belong to this planet.
He is also the god of learning. He was supposed to be a brilliant scholar. Ganapathi is always shown with a book and a pen, to show his scholarly capabilities. He had beyond normal human capabilities of scholarship and intellect.

Interesting, so "Ganesha" got a big "head transplant" from an alien, which bestowed him with superhuman intellect...hmmm...

Funny what you find when you scratch past the surface...thanks for the alley-oop! :D

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

The actual quote was, "You lived in Hong Kong and the Philippines? You must be really brainwashed because they're both colonized people.

ORLY?  Where was my "actual quote" of that?  From Okita Kato...? :lol:

Edited by gendao

30 minutes ago, gendao said:

ORLY?  Where was my "actual quote" of that?  From Okita Kato...? :lol:

Your pm to me months ago, ignoramus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I'm curious if many folks only use head pillows?  After years of fussing and fine tuning, I now use six, (used to be eight) in a specific pattern.

My wife loves to goad me on my plethora of pillows but after decades of rock climbing, kung fu, working in construction and hiking/bicycling across much of North America and a fair amount of Canada... at age 50, I sleep soundly and wake daily without an alarm to no pain, so I swear by my setup. 

So here's my over the top silent thunder Six Pillow Form.

Two for the head.  One firm and slim, one loose and down.  The slim foam pillow is very firm, almost no give and has two bumps, one higher than the other with a valley between them.  When sleeping on my back, the higher bump perfectly fills the neck gap and cradles the back mirror, keeping the neck open and breathing passages at maximum suck and blow... (no snoring, or very minimal for short periods according to Mrs. thunder).  The down pillow goes on top of the foamie, as it's so loose, it fills gaps and gives way to pressure I find it particularly helpful to support the head in line with my spine when sleeping on my side.

Two long thin pillows in a T position, one between the thighs/knees and another for the ankles/feet.  This keeps legs in parallel line as in neutral standing/wuji posture and prevents the hips from cocking at an angle when sleeping on the side, which causes tension in the hips/lowerback.  When I sleep on my back, these two raise my calves and feet up slightly above the chest, easing workload on the heart and inducing the zero gravity position that lightly stretches the lower back out blissfully.

Most beloved is the one extra large hug pillow that I fold in half and hug to my chest with my topside arm while sleeping on my side.  She keeps my chest wide open by supporting the arm I drape over her.  I'm a thick cut viking guy with a broad chest and shoulders crafted from decades of force and work.  Without a hug pillow to support the upside arm, I wake frequently from pressure and reduced breath flow.  The others are all optional but this one has become mandatory if seeking to sleep on my side.

The sixth pillow is not always used but sits next to my head, it cradles my downside arm when i want it stretched out and don't have my hand under my head.  I find having that arm rest straight out on the bed, can induce tension in the elbow which transmits to the neck and will cause me to wake sometimes.

When sleeping on my back, the hug pillow and side pillow go to either side of the head, supporting the arms in freefall/zero gravity pose.

Interesting side note... in recent years,  i only sleep on my back during daylight hours for naps, and on my side at night.

4074309-UOVENJEL-7.jpg

:)

I use two pillows next to each other with a gap between ,   lying on left or right side my head is up on pillow, on back my head is in the gap and not pushed forward .

By doing that ..... I am sorta like Gandhi       :)

... suck on that one Gendao   :D 

How Gendao sees himself 'scoring points' here ;

giphy.gif&key=23f7c2ca9f47eb87e00bced014

This is how we see it ;

giphy.gif

Yes ... the (your) imagination is a wonderful thing

OTKH8tO.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Did he enclose  $20  with it  ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nungali said:

4074309-UOVENJEL-7.jpg

:)

I use two pillows next to each other with a gap between ,   lying on left or right side my head is up on pillow, on back my head is in the gap and not pushed forward .

By doing that ..... I am sorta like Gandhi       :)

... suck on that one Gendao   :D 

7F214DDC-3D11-4B0D-8A30-740100562D9C.jpeg.c946c218ff8da73c505471dbb9958450.jpeg

Sleeping qigong position: a lack of pillow uses a rock or something to support the head. I practice it, so yes, we do use pillows or other supports.

I use 3-4 pillows on my bed, and if my dogs and cat count as pillows too, then more.

2 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Did he enclose  $20  with it  ?

No, but I sure oughtta be paid (as should you and everyone else) for having to put up with him going on over the same crap in every thread and still not making any sense! 

21 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

That's not an "actual quote," but an actual lie then, followed by yet another personal attack

So, not only are you claiming to post a PM from me publicly without permission...you are falsely posting something you claim I PMd you, but didn't. 

Again, the LARPing hall monitor is above violating his own laws! :lol::rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, gendao said:

That's not an "actual quote," but an actual lie then, followed by yet another personal attack

So, not only are you claiming to post a PM from me publicly without permission...you are falsely posting something you claim I PMd you, but didn't. 

Again, the LARPing hall monitor is above violating his own laws! :lol::rolleyes:

I have a screen capture and frankly it isn’t much of a stretch to believe you’d say something absurd, with all the brain damage you have being the unwanted scrotum dirt you are. You’ve done your own share of personal attacks, so don’t think you’re above it. I make no attempt to hide my animosity for you since you shat on my experience serving others and completely missed the point, so it makes no difference what you think or say because it is already a given that nobody on this forum in their right mind takes anything you say to have any value or factual accuracy whatsoever.

Up to now, you still can’t show what your education, experience, or language skills are, and yet here you go time and again, thinking you’re insightful.

Another year, another opportunity to accept that some people—gendao as one shining example—come in wide varieties from stupid to insane to outright idiotic.

22 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

I have a screen capture

ORLY?  OK, let's see it?  You can just post that excerpt...

10 minutes ago, gendao said:

ORLY?  OK, let's see it?  You can just post that excerpt...

what was paraphrased earlier is now here now that you said to post it.

104EF321-6120-4147-B846-D5C43A8F1DFD.thumb.jpeg.5bb222d20227b0a4375827f0d0fb0204.jpeg

Calling me the product of colonialism and having only two choices—it’s like you’ve NEVER talked to someone who comes from cultures you claim to speak for when criticizing colonialism. 

That, gendao, is you being exactly the kind of person you despise: a condescending colonialist who thinks people from other cultures are not intelligent enough to see what you see.

And what you see lacks ANY nuance of history, language, culture, complexity, or sociology. It’s bizarre you use Taoism and nature as an argument when you don’t even have ANY practice whatsoever or lineage to give you credibility whatsoever.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Haha 1

^ Ok, now compare my ACTUAL QUOTE to your "actual quote" of "You lived in Hong Kong and the Philippines? You must be really brainwashed because they're both colonized people." Uhhh, if you still can't see the ACTUAL difference, then maybe you ARE brainwashed into total ignorance, but thanks for at least proving it for the record here, lol. :D

Edited by gendao
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, gendao said:

^ Ok, now compare my ACTUAL QUOTE to your "actual quote" of "You lived in Hong Kong and the Philippines? You must be really brainwashed because they're both colonized people." Uhhh, if you still can't see the ACTUAL difference, then maybe you ARE brainwashed into total ignorance, but thanks for at least proving it for the record here, lol. :D

More like if you can’t see how idiotic you sound or what a paraphrase is, you’re still an idiot.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

But keep trying. Rosa Parks would.

Meh. She's overrated. Ever notice how she never touched on the big important issues like flat earth, shape-shifting repterrhoids, and the potentially testicle-shrinking chemical compounds in Gendao's Mountain Dew? Didn't think so. She was probably one of them. Civil rights movement? Don't get me started. Total colonialist psi-op.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Aight, I feel bad about ignoring the OP. There were lots of fascinating ancient Chinese contributions to the topic of a good night's sleep, pillows being no exception for sure. My favorite is these ceramic Song dynasty "child pillows." Scholars debated for awhile whether they were actually meant for sleeping and I guess the conclusion is they were. It's hard to imagine a pleasant night's sleep on one, but then again I learned to love hard beds in China and even a hard wood floor with nothing on top of it thanks to an Ethiopian-American roommate. If those guys Taomeow shared pictures of can snooze on those wooden pillows, I'm sure ceramic boy pillow could be gotten used to... Might even be downright pleasant once you get the knack of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walker said:

Meh. She's overrated. Ever notice how she never touched on the big important issues like flat earth, shape-shifting repterrhoids, and the potentially testicle-shrinking chemical compounds in Gendao's Mountain Dew? Didn't think so. She was probably one of them. Civil rights movement? Don't get me started. Total colonialist psi-op.

Yes, he should stick to citing  'Sadhguru'   instead  .... the one that 'explained' how aliens did a head transplant to make Ganesha :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggi_Vasudev#Politics,_religion_and_pseudoscience

wanting people to take  mercury in Indian medicine as its traditional,  using 'tantric science' to raise the dead ,   being a suppirter of Hindutva party ( the Out of India ... and other stuff  ... party ) , supports destroying mosques in riots ,  supported , strongly , the stupid airstike India did against Pakistan in 2019  ( Balakot  )   on a 'terrorist camp '  ;  Indian intelligence sources claim that the camp was located in a hilltop forest, 20 km (12 mi) from Balakot, and that it was a resort-style facility, with space and room for 500–700 militants, including a swimming pool, cooks and cleaners. and  "a very large number of JeM terrorists, trainers, senior commanders and groups of jihadis," who were preparing for launching another suicide attack targeting Indian assets, were killed."

Neutral sources have asserted that the munitions dropped by Indian warplanes appeared to have hit several trees in a wooded area.

:D  

{ Satellite-data analysis by the Australian Strategic Policy Institute's Nathan Ruser concluded that there is "no apparent evidence of more extensive damage and on the face of it does not validate Indian claims regarding the effect of the strikes.}

This has got gendao all over it  :D