Taomeow

Sumer: the "black-headed" vs. the "red-faced"

6 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Don't know if this was posted yet...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/science/head-cones-ancient-egypt.html

Thank you for the article.  No, it wasn't posted before.   

Do you buy their explanation though? -- the first idea of what it might be for? -- that beeswax cones must have been infused with perfumes (not physically present in the actual one found) so the heat, in the hot climate, melts it and the perfume is released onto the wearer's head and body so he smells like a god and therefore is treated as one?  Almighty god, the melting point of beeswax is 147°F.  The highest air temperature ever recorded on Earth was 134°F.  Suppose it was still hotter at the time of those mummies, it's still hard to imagine that someone wouldn't get a heat stroke within minutes if they wore a beeswax (air-proof, sweat-proof, ventilation-proof) cone hat melting onto their head reeking of perfume to boot.  

(edit: opinion edited)

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Apech said:

Maybe some relation to blue lotus use???

ladies.jpg

Those cones are a tad smaller though -- not exactly hats?  Closing off the baihui point (GV20), one of the most important acupoints on the human body, sitting on the Du meridian (the Governing Vessel) which an acupuncturist might use in neurology and psychiatry, and meditators have numerous uses for too.  What's that blue lotus thing really, a psychedelic?   

Edited by Taomeow

2 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Those cones are a tad smaller though -- not exactly hats?  Closing off the baihui point (GV20), one of the most important acupoints on the human body, sitting on the Du meridian (the Governing Vessel) which an acupuncturist might use in neurology and psychiatry, and meditators have numerous uses for too.  What's that blue lotus thing really, a psychedelic?   

Yes I thought about that ... could be a connection but its not something I've ever looked into seriously.

"A strong Blue Lotus tea has an intense calming effect similar to taking a xanax. Consuming Blue Lotus Flower tea also promotes stronger likelihood of lucid dreams. Lucid dreaming is the ability to become conscious of the fact one is dreaming. Lucid dreaming typically also gives dreamers the ability to control some or all of their dream. People frequently combine Blue Lotus Flower Tea with a number of other drugs for a more intense high, including alcohol and kratom. Blue Lotus tea can provide wonderful pain relief."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apech said:

tenor.gif

- I just planted a friends pond out with some  and put some in one of my fish ponds, its just started to sprout new leaves .

There are a fair few growing in this area . The trick is getting them, you often have to go a bit far out and  get the root out of the bottom, or they just break if you try to pull them out .  So I eventually saw a pond near the road, with some scrub cover to sneak through. Due to drought, the pond was very low and  the lotus close to the (now ) edge  - perfect .

So I got to near the edge , rolled up my trouser leg and went towards them   ... glitch !  soft mud , next step ,  glotch!  deeper ... next step ... GLOOP !  in up to my knees !  And couldn't get my legs out - thick black sticky slimy mud !  Had to sorta lie on the surface and get one leg out at a time, that would NOT come out unless I left my sandals down there . So I did .  Got some lotus roots and plants out, sloughed my way back to the edge then decided I didnt want to abandon my sandals , so I had to lie front down in the mud and stick my arm down and feel around for them . Got them back. But now me, my clothes and sandals are covered in thick black sticky stinky mud and the only water to wash with is back in the pond over the mud . So I went back to the car and got rid of the pants and put some swimmers on and washed my feet and legs a bit with a drink water bottle , and drove home a mess !   :D

But I did It !   I captured the rare blue lotus from the wilds !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStl43pbXOwQ_mfhouqk5c

Now, I just need some type of long pole with a snipper and basket on the end   ( !   my old avocado harvesting pole ! )  to go and flog some already flowering ones .

I'll get back to you on this .   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Do you buy their explanation though? -- the first idea of what it might be for? -- that beeswax cones must have been infused with perfumes (not physically present in the actual one found) so the heat, in the hot climate, melts it and the perfume is released onto the wearer's head and body so he smells like a god and therefore is treated as one?  Almighty god, the melting point of beeswax is 147°F.  The highest air temperature ever recorded on Earth was 134°F.  Suppose it was still hotter at the time of those mummies, it's still hard to imagine that someone wouldn't get a heat stroke within minutes if they wore a beeswax (air-proof, sweat-proof, ventilation-proof) cone hat melting onto their head reeking of perfume to boot.  

The cones were made of wax and dated from 1347 to 1332 B.C.E. when Egypt was ruled by the pharaoh Akhenaten, husband to Queen Nefertiti and the supposed father of King Tutankhamen.

I love how their explanation ignores the obvious (SKULL-based) facts that:

Dolichocephaly (derived from the ancient Greek, δολιχός meaning long) is a condition where the head is longer than would be expected, relative to its width.    In humans it means that head width is less than 75 per cent of head length.   It has an incidence of one in every 4,200 people [.02%]

YET...

Only 1% of pre-dynastic Egyptian skulls are brachycephalic (round or spherical): El Amrah 1% (101 skulls), Nagada, 1.9% (314 skulls), El Badari 0% (79 skulls).

In ancient Egypt most of the Egyptians were dolichocephalic, or had long heads.

egypt00.jpg

egypt03.jpg

egypt04.jpg

hatshepsutmummy.jpg

ramses2.jpg

And often red/light-haired...like over in...Paracas, PERU...

paracas-elongated-skulls-were-they-human

So it's very possible that prosthetic coneheads were used to imitate actual, ELite coneheads...

alien-gigers-alien-maquette-coolprops-90

Edited by gendao
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

I just planted a friends pond out with some  and put some in one of my fish ponds, its just started to sprout new leaves .

There are a fair few growing in this area . The trick is getting them, you often have to go a bit far out and  get the root out of the bottom, or they just break if you try to pull them out . 

Good luck with the rest of your project.

I've never seen a blue lotus, but its close relative, European water lily, which I think only differs in how the leaves float on the water while the lotus leaves are submerged, was quite prominent in my life back in the day.  I used to dive for them and follow the looooong slippery rubbery stem all the way to the bottom, sometimes not knowing if there actually was a bottom.   Also, back in the day I once spent a month at a students' resort (belonging to the local medical school, with which I had nothing in common except friends who provided a spot) and was getting a bouquet of those lotus/water lily flowers every morning.  It appeared outside my window like clockwork, usually accompanied by a short note with a funny poem.  E.g., my real name rhymes with "knee" in Russian, so the poem would go, "TM, do show me your knee!"  Or else something like, "I nearly drowned for these while you slept."  Yup...  a creative suitor.  Dived for some water lilies for me every morning.  I can't believe I didn't fall for him...  What was I thinking.  A doctor-to-be too! :D     

Image result for water lily"

Edited by Taomeow

4 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I honestly believe that the most significant part was that the head cones are real ornaments, not just depictions in art and hieroglyphics. 

As for melting beeswax, who knows? Perhaps the species of bee then was different and the physical properties of their wax made the material easier to melt at lower temperatures than we observe now. 

Then again, honey found preserved in some of the tombs in Egypt is arguably still edible...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ocean Form said:

According to people who did KAP, (which involves spider meditation) egyptian mummification is insect inspired magic. Think silk, cocoons....encapsulation and transformation, "rebirth".

Honeybees don't have "silk"  but the comb where they transform from larvae to adults are made of beeswax obviously.

Just a theory.

https://savannahbee.com/blog/ancient-egyptian-beekeeping

You should see Nepalese beekeepers then .

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/07/honey-hunters-bees-climbing-nepal/

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ocean Form said:

Yes I've seen it ... and the combination of climbing dangerous heights without safety... while stealing honey from wild bees and getting stung... and then GET STICKY FROM THE HONEY seems nightmarish.

They're going to be sticky for the rest of their lives :(:(

But what don't we do for hallucinogens.

I had a dream tonight btw. I moved to Denmark and became a cannabis farmer.

In some sense or other we are mostly all from Denmark.

1 hour ago, Ocean Form said:

Ugh... That's the most horrible representation of Freya I've ever seen!

Why don't they have eyes??

I can't explain a joke.  I've met women like this one, and I thought it was a very funny picture.  

They do have eyes, by the way.  Just blinded by the light.  

1 hour ago, Ocean Form said:

Sometimes I glimpse deities, I had an image of Freya once.

It was a woman in armor in a viking ship rowed by skeletons.

Might have been someone else.  Freya is known to be riding a chariot pulled by two cats, Bygul and Trjegul.  Here's some classic images:

Image result for Freya is known for riding a chariot pulled by cats."

image.png.5e55bf350f8eb571963e6aeef62fe40a.png

And the really horrible one is this.  What deranged lunatic would use a whip on cats?  Or puts the bits in their mouths?.. 

I hope the author of this one is in Hel, being fed to Freya's cats, bit by bit.   

image.png.122cf62e248b6af52c82b716429a1a1b.png

Edited by Taomeow
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Form said:

Exactly. A joke. A drawing. Don't you think they get tired of just projecting the same image over and over again? :D

Another fact about Freya that is not in the books: she hates pentagrams, and might remove them from your aura if you ask.

Of course I could be a schizophrenic stranger with a macbook so you don't have to believe me.

She hates pentagrams?  I used to hate them too.  I used to have to wear one as a kid.  Imagine wearing someone's spell pinned to your clothes.    

Image result for oktyabryonok pin"

But now I adore them.  It's one of the components of reading the wuxing phases of qi dynamics, i.e. of basic taoist education in the energies of the world.  Interesting though that it represents specifically the Dominance cycle.

feng shui cycles-dominates cycle

19 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I can't explain a joke.  I've met women like this one, and I thought it was a very funny picture.  

They do have eyes, by the way.  Just blinded by the light.  

Might have been someone else.  Freya is known to be riding a chariot pulled by two cats, Bygul and Trjegul.  Here's some classic images:

Image result for Freya is known for riding a chariot pulled by cats."

image.png.5e55bf350f8eb571963e6aeef62fe40a.png

And the really horrible one is this.  What deranged lunatic would use a whip on cats?  Or puts the bits in their mouths?.. 

I hope the author of this one is in Hel, being fed to Freya's cats, bit by bit.   

image.png.122cf62e248b6af52c82b716429a1a1b.png

Indeed !  and why use the whip or the bit when there is that dogs head carving on the front of the 'chariot'  (actually a cat powered skate board )   ...  a reverse ' carrot on a stick ' (actually if you look closely I think its articulated , she presses down the wooden 'accelerator' with her foot and the head moves forward onto  their rumps and the wooden jaws close ) .

• Like 1

Its just silly thinking cats pulled a chariot or anything ....  what where you thinking !

I am going back to my sensible  Aussie Christmas celebrations ;

53b3c9765261ec25230d8e73ec5b51b3-2lz8yj2

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nungali said:

I am going back to my sensible  Aussie Christmas celebrations

Ah, good.  Leave those cats alone.  They'll have their paws full as it is in the Year of the Rusty Steel Rat.

Going back to the sensible Russian New Year celebrations. 

92866943.thumb.jpg.47065d44cb5a40e925392ad0310e3476.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Ah, good.  Leave those cats alone.  They'll have their paws full as it is in the Year of the Rusty Steel Rat.

Going back to the sensible Russian New Year celebrations. 

92866943.thumb.jpg.47065d44cb5a40e925392ad0310e3476.jpg

27D06069-DB64-4515-A5BB-FB9228728447.jpeg

40 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

That's 1941, a WWII antifascist postcard, issued at the time Nazi Germany was being rather victorious.  I hope no one is nostalgic.    

Image result for siberian ded moroz"

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1