sean

Proposed simplification of forums

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ilumairen said:

Some years back I had a friend who visited this forum, but did not join. His assessment was taoists, in practice, seem primarily concerned with semen retention. As it was later explained to me, one reason for the seperate yet open areas was so people could easily avoid wading through thread after thread about semen retention, and people like my friend mentioned above would be less likely to gain the (mistaken) impression he did.

 

Could those conversations be guided toward either the Grotto or private male garden?

 

1 minute ago, ilumairen said:

Guess mine was a rotten tomato.. 

 

😆

 

Sean

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sean said:

 

Could those conversations be guided toward either the Grotto or private male garden?

 

I don't see why not, and if you're considering simply moving such threads to the "proper" forum, I don't see how it would be much different than previous experience - aside from such topics being more "hidden."

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sean said:

Via: https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/49691-an-acupuncturist-posted-this/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-898342

 

 

The next forum changes I've been mulling over are re: the gender forums. I also don't see the point of the non-private variants of these forums. Why couldn't those topics simply be started in Grotto or Daoist or General discussion?

 

Here's what I'm thinking:

 

Private Gender Gardens

  Grotto (request access here, general gender discussion, move topics from all other open gender forums into this)
  Non-binary (for non-binary, gender questioning and intersex)
  Women (for women and female identified)
  Men (for men and male identified)

 

I'd also like to come up with a process of gaining/keeping entry to these subforums, especially the womens and non-binary forums since those are more likely targets for infiltration by dumb-dumbs.

 

My first thought is that I might have a quick video chat with any female and non-binary identified volunteers interested in helping me define and participate in an approval process. These members would then be empowered to approve others, thereby preventing future generations from being required to see my grisly mug just to gain access to their gender subforum. 😆

 

Thoughts, concerns, rotten tomatoes? 🍅

 

Sean

 

 

I like the ideas for further consolidation and screening.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sean said:

The next forum changes I've been mulling over are re: the gender forums. I also don't see the point of the non-private variants of these forums. Why couldn't those topics simply be started in Grotto or Daoist or General discussion?

 

I tend to agree on no need for non-private variants.  That was simply a place to discuss gender stuff that wasn't so private and personal and so anyone could chime in.  Having 2 of them now seems redundant..oops... dare I say we had 3.   This was a compartmentalized overkill moment.

 

Quote

Here's what I'm thinking:

 

Private Gender Gardens

  Grotto (request access here, general gender discussion, move topics from all other open gender forums into this)
  Non-binary (for non-binary, gender questioning and intersex)
  Women (for women and female identified)
  Men (for men and male identified)

 

If I understand, all four are private/request access.   But anyone can get access to all 4 ?

 

Two things really drove the original idea (if my memory is still there)

1. Semen retention threads are more often done than most would dream... and they get quickly lost in General (or Daoist) due to daily threads.  So it was more a convenient storage area.

2. Women's issues seem to want more privacy than men wanted.  In fact, I didn't feel men wanted a private area at all but did it just for parallel treatment.

 

Quote

I'd also like to come up with a process of gaining/keeping entry to these subforums, especially the womens and non-binary forums since those are more likely targets for infiltration by dumb-dumbs.

 

My first thought is that I might have a quick video chat with any female and non-binary identified volunteers interested in helping me define and participate in an approval process. These members would then be empowered to approve others, thereby preventing future generations from being required to see my grisly mug just to gain access to their gender subforum. 😆

 

If the Steward+ group still exists, that has ACP access to only member area... so giving private access to someone is as simple as adding a secondary group.   If the groups Fuxi and Nuwa are still there, that is how each private access area was setup;  Each group has access to only that forum area. 

Edited by dawei
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @dawei

 

22 minutes ago, dawei said:

If I understand, all four are private/request access.   But anyone can get access to all 4 ?

 

Yeah, my thought was that the entire Gender Garden is invisible to guests (/bots), similar to Personal Practice. But the Grotto is open for all members to participate in. The non-binary, women and men "sanctuary" forums visibly exist to members, but posts are only available for those that have requested and been granted access. Access can be requested in the Grotto.

 

Sean

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am old enough to have seen the changes in what New Ager has meant. My personal definition for New Ager when I began my path in 1973 was a person who was seeking a spiritual method outside of, or in addition to traditional religious dogma. But for some, the term seems to be synonymous with kooky or weird. But New Age pursuits have blended slowly and nicely into main stream society by now. Things that were considered as weird and ridiculous are now valued by society as a whole. For example, I remember in the late 1970's a former coworker calling me up and telling me the reason my resume for psychologist jobs was not garnering any job interviews was because the resume included under skills, "meditation instructor". He suggested to make that sound less strange, I change it to read "stress reduction instructor". I followed his advice and soon had multiple job offers. Now meditation is a more valued and understood activity. Whereas previously, meditation was associated with New Age weirdness. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, tao stillness said:

I am old enough to have seen the changes in what New Ager has meant. My personal definition for New Ager when I began my path in 1973 was a person who was seeking a spiritual method outside of, or in addition to traditional religious dogma.

I would have to agree.  When I started studying with Mr. Li, he called his method Hwayu T'ai Chi. In letters, he fully used the (Cantonese/Toisan) term Luk Hop Bat Fat (liuhebafa) for it, the handwritten Chinese on his copies of the Fiver Word Song that he handed out for his Friday lectures said right at the top,

華嶽太極拳

五字訣

(又名為心意功)

(Huayue Taijiquan | five word song/mantra/text | (also named Xinyi Gong)).  So there was no confusion from him as to what the art was, he had used the Taiji name because at the time nobody would understand what he was teaching by its real name, but at least some people had heard of T'ai Chi.

 

It was also considered weird and kooky -- I had neighbors several times call the police when I was practicing in the yard at my parents' house, I took quite a bit of derision and laughter about doing oooh weird stuff if I practiced at work during lunch hour, and several times got cold cocked by people pretending to "just want to see if it works."

 

The term New Age really came into use in modern form a little later with the publication of The New Age Journal.

 

New age is just a part of the process by which Western cultures assimilate anything spiritual coming from outside the Middle Eastern focus it has had for 1500 years since the Christians took over the Roman Empire.  What Earl Grey calls "white suburban yoga" is seen by my significant other (from India originally, now a U.S. citizen for 20 years) with a mixture of emotions. Some of them good -- yoga is accessible to people who don't want to or can't get up at 4 in the morning to cleanse themselves and walk to the ashram.  And some of them bad -- why don't they just admit that it is a spiritual practice and it comes from a spiritual tradition in India?

 

I do understand the urge to not have kookiness mixing with good advice.  I don't care much about lineages, John Li's lineage came apart at the seams after he died and maybe that is a good thing.  The person that most loyally kept the faith after he died, in Boston, was Robert, a.k.a. Chopsticks, not any of the people publishing books in silk uniforms. He, for instance, would never have repositioned his own name in English as Li Chung, he was an ordained Christian minister whose day job was such so I think he wanted the 'John" in his name it wasn't an Anglicizing convenience. And he never, ever, ever referred to himself as a "grandmaster".

 

Also, in terms of simplifying the site specifically, the thing that would simplify the site in terms of use most for newcomers like me would be a button down at the bottom, instead of or in addition to the one at the top, that said "follow".  I read stuff on various threads and always go through a period of confusion trying to figure out how to follow the thread if I am interested.

 

As for weeding out kookiness, believe it or not, one of the ways a newcomer decides that a particular posting is "kooky" is that it is completely devoid of any real method for accomplishing what it talks about, whereas those by practitioners intended as practical, be they lineage holders or just people who know the technique in question well enough, is that they feel like something one can actually try.

 

As for too much "Buddhism", forget it.  The admixture of Buddhism into Daoism, and some vice versa, particularly along what is sometimes called the Silk Road starting more than a thousand years ago, makes that an impossibility and undesirable, and the religious traditions of the region starting to the West of Iran and continuing through to Southeast Asia in general do not neatly divide themselves, and people who adhere to them do not care if they believe in all of them at the same time.

 

Finally, as to semen retention, I did write about my feelings as to what this is supposed to be on one of my threads (Dakinis, Moonlight, and Bubbling Stew), I am totally aware that my shaking explorations are totally beyond the pale of any lineage except perhaps someone somewhere that preserves some kind of shamanism that I don't know about.  But I do think that having had to grapple with this so deeply does give me some insight, and I think semen retention, or for that matter the supposed female version which appears to be menstruation retention, are perverse goals the original version of which was to revert the orgasms and other rushes of feeling into internal dhyanas and samadhis, not the physical fluids into your body (it is a by product that the physical fluids don't materialize when you do this so maybe that's where some of the idea came from).   Since I do view direct semen manipulation practices as not valid, I wouldn't mind if they were walled off with a big warning sign that if you actually do physically reverse an ejaculation, you will injure your prostate and your bladder and repeated such reversals may make you permanently incontinent if it doesn't first cause a pretty serious infection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2019 at 2:55 PM, Old Student said:

 

The term New Age really came into use in modern form a little later with the publication of The New Age Journal.

 

 

 

 (it is a by product that the physical fluids don't materialize when you do this so maybe that's where some of the idea came from).   Since I do view direct semen manipulation practices as not valid, I wouldn't mind if they were walled off with a big warning sign that if you actually do physically reverse an ejaculation, you will injure your prostate and your bladder and repeated such reversals may make you permanently incontinent if it doesn't first cause a pretty serious infection.

 

 
Quote

 

Get this from a library! The New age.. [Scottish Rite (Masonic order). Supreme Council of the Thirty-Third Degree for the Southern Jurisdiction.;]

 

yeah the "structural" definition of the New Age is therefore the promotion of Golden Ratio foundation "materialistic idealism" or Platonic philosophy - it's actually also called the "religion of technology" -  a good book on this is Professor David F. Noble's "The Religion of Technology" that proves how the Freemasons also created modern Western science (which most people don't consider fringe).
 
As for the last claim - yeah - this is SUPPOSED to be "walled off" into the Men's cultivation section - but I guess we lack MODS now so the new posters tend to put this stuff in "general discussion" without knowing better and then nobody moves it.
 
As for the "physical fluids don't materialize" - that is a nice way of putting it! I would say, if you have not done so yet, then study the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" for how this process goes from material to immaterial, etc. In terms of science we are talking about ionized lecithin that myelinates the neurons of the body and also stores electromagnetic energy - or electrogravitic energy (if you study certain scientists).
 
Is the practice dangerous? Sure - there can be all sorts of kooky strangeness but Nature is both dangerous and strange as well. But we could say the same about say depleted uranium weapons or mass light rail transit or whatever Western concoctions we get to deal with today - plastic or the electromagnetic pollution of cell phones, etc. Too bad we can't "wall" that stuff off. haha.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 5:19 PM, C T said:

 

Yes, etymologically it would be right, but practically it may cause some confusion to say they basically mean the same thing - at least thats me confused, hence the need for clarification. Cheers. 

The etymology of the word "God" is BULL just as Brahman also originates as Bull etymologically.

Fascinating tidbit - Professor Karen Armstrong's book "A History of God" NEVER gives the etymology of the word! Hilarious!!!

So also read math professor Abraham SEidenberg's essays on the ritual origins of Geometry in India. A good claim can be made that Vedic philosophy is WESTERN.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 6:21 PM, dwai said:

:D Try telling that to ~ 1 billion of Hindus who live in my country of birth, not to mention the millions of those who live all over the world now.  

well they're not being quick to accept the HARD DNA science that the Vedic chariot culture invaded India after 2000 BCE. Meanwhile the "three gunas" in India is much older by thousands of years if not tens of thousands. oops!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, Apech said:

 

 

How about:

 

1. Christian truth

 

2.  Vile heretical Devil worshippers

 

 

If you're a 7th Day Adventist that's gonna be an interesting Forum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 2:00 PM, sean said:

Via: https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/49691-an-acupuncturist-posted-this/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-898342

 

 

The next forum changes I've been mulling over are re: the gender forums. I also don't see the point of the non-private variants of these forums. Why couldn't those topics simply be started in Grotto or Daoist or General discussion?

 

Here's what I'm thinking:

 

Private Gender Gardens

  Grotto (request access here, general gender discussion, move topics from all other open gender forums into this)
  Non-binary (for non-binary, gender questioning and intersex)
  Women (for women and female identified)
  Men (for men and male identified)

 

I'd also like to come up with a process of gaining/keeping entry to these subforums, especially the womens and non-binary forums since those are more likely targets for infiltration by dumb-dumbs.

 

My first thought is that I might have a quick video chat with any female and non-binary identified volunteers interested in helping me define and participate in an approval process. These members would then be empowered to approve others, thereby preventing future generations from being required to see my grisly mug just to gain access to their gender subforum. 😆

 

Thoughts, concerns, rotten tomatoes? 🍅

 

Sean

 

 

u just reminded me of my extended relatives discussing their body cavity searches as their jobs at the jail. Just saying the gender section shouldn't be a similar test (although I could get into female mammals and oxytocin neuroreceptors).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 4:02 PM, sean said:

Thanks @dawei

 

 

Yeah, my thought was that the entire Gender Garden is invisible to guests (/bots), similar to Personal Practice. But the Grotto is open for all members to participate in. The non-binary, women and men "sanctuary" forums visibly exist to members, but posts are only available for those that have requested and been granted access. Access can be requested in the Grotto.

 

Sean

 

So if someone posts a "male" topic in the general discussion but they don't have access to the male grotto forum - yet their thread belongs there - then what happens to their thread? Maybe that should initiate a mod "invitation" to such person to join the male forum while their thread is disappeared or move there in the meantime. I'm just saying that seems to be the MOST COMMON mod "violation" on this site. thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

As for the "physical fluids don't materialize" - that is a nice way of putting it! I would say, if you have not done so yet, then study the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" for how this process goes from material to immaterial, etc. In terms of science we are talking about ionized lecithin that myelinates the neurons of the body and also stores electromagnetic energy - or electrogravitic energy (if you study certain scientists).

Yes, I've done so yet. Not sure how myelin has anything to do with gravity, frankly. It's "storage" function is as an electrolyte in a capacitor. "Physical fluids don't materialize" is something I have at this point extensive personal experience with.

 

My point was that there are perverse doctrines in a lot of traditions, people seeking to practice them to accomplish something that is quite reliably done without hurting oneself shouldn't be spreading or learning dangerous practices on the internet. Ejaculatory reversal causes damage, that's why the milestones in the book Charles Luk translated are easily seen as blood in the urine, infectious emissions, etc. These things come from cultures where the essence of a teaching gets lost because of roundabout descriptions to avoid censure, and where people got paid to keep emperors alive at all costs. 

 

In a place like this where people can speak freely, there is no reason to perpetuate them. It's like perpetuating "feet the size of three lotus petals" because some ancient Chinese person wrote it. "Oh, I found a text on the ancient practice of Guojiao (裹脚)!  It's passed down through the Stinking Cloth Dragon Sect and I heard it's the quickest way to the Dao!!!" (riffing on "老太太的裹脚布, 又長又臭!" for the lineage). But it always was and always will be foot binding, and foot binding is perverse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Old Student said:

Yes, I've done so yet. Not sure how myelin has anything to do with gravity, frankly. It's "storage" function is as an electrolyte in a capacitor.

you seem to be implying you're interested in learning about the subject? Or are you a priori cutting off any interest in researching the topic? If it is not the later you can start studying quantum biology and Sir Roger Penrose - oh I know you mentioned and dismissed their work before I think. But they are not alone - Hameroff and Penrose I mean. Plenty of researchers are corroborating their model.

 

 

 
Quote

 

 

 

 

 

Sep 7, 2017 - Given that biophotons have been discovered in the... ... (40) proposed myelinated axons as potential biophoton waveguides in the brain.

 

 
Quote

The underlying physics is revealed to be the collectively coherent superposition of the photon and vibrons, the polariton induced significant enhancement of myelin permittivity, and the resonance of the polariton with the sheath cell. The captured cell-VPs in myelin sheaths may provide a promising way for super-efficient consumption of extra-weak bioenergy and even directly serve for quantum information in the nervous system.

Cell vibron polariton in the myelin sheath of nerve

(Submitted on 10 Jun 2019)
Yes I am speaking from experience also.
I did my serious training in 2000 at age 29 and since then I have "reverse-engineered" my experiences back into science.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, voidisyinyang said:

If it is not the later you can start studying quantum biology and Sir Roger Penrose

Myelin's purpose is saltatory conduction. Ergo it performs as an electrolyte.  I happen to think Penrose's theory fails Ockham's Razor.

We disagree. There really isn't a need to resolve that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

So if someone posts a "male" topic in the general discussion but they don't have access to the male grotto forum - yet their thread belongs there - then what happens to their thread? Maybe that should initiate a mod "invitation" to such person to join the male forum while their thread is disappeared or move there in the meantime. I'm just saying that seems to be the MOST COMMON mod "violation" on this site. thanks

 

My take is that there's not really a right/wrong place for "gendered" cultivation topics. The Grotto is open to all members and the gender-specific gardens are just there for some extra privacy, for anyone who is wanting that.

 

Sean

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites