1 hour ago, Stosh said:

So is this thread so far off track it needs a reboot , or no? Looking at the OP, I am not sure where it's supposed to go. 

This thread is doing just fine. Feel free to take it wherever it wants to go. ;)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stosh said:

In light of turning over 'new' leaves , I don't think you're a weenie. However , you were still making a virtue call , that the hawk doesn't deserve an equal seat at the tree. You value more the the doves and squirrels , but I have personally seen a squirrel , one by one , take baby cardinals out of a nest, and eat them one by one, ass end first like burritos ,while the adults chirped their little beaks off in protest. The world strikes a kind of balance if it is allowed , and half of that is the hawks way. 

You also made a virtue call in regard to the story you shared. Your virtue seems to be a letting things be sort, and certainly would align with some teachings - when understood in a particular way.

My father would have shot the squirrel.

At my old home up north, there was a Coopers Hawk that frequented the bird feeders in my gardens. Often the little song birds would easily make it to the sheltering arborvaite. He did his thing, they did theirs, and I accepted my role in the dynamic by having created the environment in which this particular dynamic played out. 

I now live elsewhere, and continue to provide seed. Just as I did nothing to actually harm the hawk up north, I've done nothing to harm the hawk here. I planted a tree Stosh, and made the outlying part of the area where I provide seed a little less of an easy corridor for the hawk to swoop through. I wasn't providing seed to supply the hawks with an easy kill. Or attempting to set up a kill zone. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stosh said:

The world strikes a kind of balance if it is allowed , and half of that is the hawks way. 

I actually liked the bit about balance, and question the idea of 'allowed'. 

I'm still contemplating "put someone off of their food" (which may actually be on topic). So while you once set this forth as strength in argumentation, when the reality is set before you in action you don't seem to like it much. (mostly just playing with you and picking a little bit)

One rainy day, there was a group of crows playing with a frog. Tossing it between them. I walked to the edge of their little circle, and stood just outside it without saying a word. In a short time, they flew away and I cupped the little frog in my hands. When he relaxed a bit, I gently set him in one of my planters near the house.

I put them off of their food too.. :D

• Like 1

A kill zone ! funny , but also the way of it. Hawks (and cats) do readily make use of those facilities. What I read into taoism, is that there is a natural way , and there is the way of humans. And when it comes down to nature acting like nature , apart from us, I think we are better off if we leave human morality out of the picture. 
You brought some nature to your own door , those dinky birds are getting a supplemental food supply at times when they would possibly be starving because there were too many eating the same food , or if they were travelling etc. And I think that we humans are responsible , and indebted , to make some efforts to promote these creatures, including the hawks. 
But ! none of them are humans , and the idea about letting nature take its course , re: humans preying on one another wouldn't be appropriate.

It's a hard life for hawks too, probably harder than for the doves et al. it's a rare rare event to actually see one of those hits go down. Both birds have been honed for exactly that moment , to an incredible degree,... which makes them what they are. 
The dove kills the hawk by getting away, the hawk kills the dove by catching it. Or one can put it the other way around that they both preserve each other. 

9 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I actually liked the bit about balance, and question the idea of 'allowed'. 

I'm still contemplating "put someone off of their food" (which may actually be on topic). So while you once set this forth as strength in argumentation, when the reality is set before you in action you don't seem to like it much. (mostly just playing with you and picking a little bit)

One rainy day, there was a group of crows playing with a frog. Tossing it between them. I walked to the edge of their little circle, and stood just outside it without saying a word. In a short time, they flew away and I cupped the little frog in my hands. When he relaxed a bit, I gently set him in one of my planters near the house.

I put them off of their food too.. :D

An enemy or competitor , preserves its counterpart, but it can be hard to see this. If you want the hawks to have to adapt to you personally rather than their prey  , and weaken the doves... 

Edited by Stosh

As for me I would have shot the hawk. I have no problem shooting anything getting aggressive in my territory. Lifts leg and marks the perimeter. :P

scary_werewolf_head_grinning1.thumb.png.02764ec9d0afdbdbbf78d4e3a92bdf6e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was lucky Stosh, and where I grew up, while I was sheltered in a home, I was not seperated from nature, or it's birth, life and death cycles. 

And it's taken me many years to try to form some understanding of what is meant by humans acting outside nature. 

3 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I was lucky Stosh, and where I grew up, while I was sheltered in a home, I was not seperated from nature, or it's birth, life and death cycles. 

And it's taken me many years to try to form some understanding of what is meant by humans acting outside nature. 

What understanding did you come to, sweet friend?

• Like 1

Obviously , that she is afraid of the aggressiveness of others but excuses it in herself. 

5 minutes ago, Stosh said:

An enemy or competitor , preserves its counterpart, but it can be hard to see this. If you want the hawks to have to adapt to you personally rather than their prey  , and weaken the doves... 

You believe you have a superior stance, and that I'll fit neatly into your argument. 

The hawk was already adapting to conditions I provided, and by your argument to "allow" the easy kill (keeping in mind that I planted a tree and trees naturally sprout on their own all over the place) would have been to weaken the hawk. ;)

BTW One day I watched a hawk land in a somewhat distant tree, and I watched as a curious squirrel hopped ever closer.. the hawks will be just fine. 

2 minutes ago, Stosh said:

Obviously , that she is afraid of the aggressiveness of others but excuses it in herself. 

hmmmm i doubt that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rene said:

hmmmm i doubt that.

I don't. There's no excuse for shooting birds of prey to make some point about being superior fearless or that you're doing a good thing. 

You like bears wolves , coyote , squirrels , hawks eagles ,and sparrows,  and lets say somebody takes out a gun and starts shooting things , setting snares and so forth...

Edited by Stosh

Stosh, please take your idea of me out of the damn box you put it in. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Stosh, please take your idea of me out of the damn box you put it in. 

You said you'd shoot the hawk , that's not my box. 

Sorry though, I gotta drop out of this conversation, this is pushing my buttons. 

Edited by Stosh

1 minute ago, Stosh said:

Sorry though, I gotta drop out of this conversation, this is pushing my buttons. 

Lol Dummy

she didnt say that. go find your glasses lolol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

Lol Dummy

No. We all misread sometimes.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rene said:

she didnt say that. go find your glasses lolol

I must be hallucinating. I'd swear she wrote that she would shoot the hawk. 

Edited by Stosh
  • Haha 1

Just now, rene said:

Yep do it all the time, that by the way was meant as a friendly dummy. :P

1 minute ago, Stosh said:

I must be hallucinating. I'd swear she wrote that she would shoot the hawk. 

my turn to go re-read, and get my glasses, AND set up the PC. Typing on phone sux. :D

Just now, rene said:

I don't think I misread , I think she wrote it ,and changed it ,and the text box showed me the original text. But I have no proof and so I look insane. :)

By the way this is not the first time it has happened with the Avatars.  I will be changing mine in a little while as no one can make out what it is anyway.

3 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

By the way this is not the first time it has happened with the Avatars.  I will be changing mine in a little while as no one can make out what it is anyway.

Thats true , just looks like a sun blob. OOOH , now I see it was Pilgrim who said he would shoot the hawk and Ilumarian that said they would weaken it !! Sorry sorry sorry , yes my f up . 

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2