Pilgrim

Green Chili Cheese Chicken Enchiladas and other tasty fare.

Sorry for the messy merge.. the threads I brought over were earlier than the first post !  So I put Ralis original here, but it is a few below...

- Admin Dawei

A separate thread on cooking would be great. Let’s not derail this thread. :lol:

We had an enchilada casserole tonight which had New Mexico hot green chili’s. Nothing like NM green chili! Finished off Coconut Bliss chocolate bar. Coconut Bliss is the best!

20 hours ago, dawei said:

I could advise a few stocks but seems folks are too busy stoking the flames here :lol:

Glad to take some advice my 401K isn't doing jack lately, PM me wont ya?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

Glad to take some advice my 401K isn't doing jack lately, PM me wont ya?

Well... at some point, you have to decide who can do better... your 401K or you... and.. who has more time to deal with it too!

Also, are you are getting a company contribution... and even more (ie: profit sharing)... 

Is it being invested in something while it sits where ever it sits? .. who controls that, can you set the investment?  

Lots of issues and angles.  

I personally, now feel, I have more in my 401K than I want because it is not liquid to do something (ie: buy that next house), and the investment options are restrictive to what the company selected as the 401 Broker... but I get a fair amount of company contribution and profit sharing... so I accept that there is a 'safe' nest egg building up there. 

We own two places now and that is another kind of investment.  We will likely sell one to get to that next house we want.  Never say, I can't save that kind of money... you can.  It may take some 'sacrifice' and time to learn it... like drop cable TV!  Waste of money. I'll tell you where to watch all the cable you want for free; watch movies and tv shows for free...  Reduce your cell phone bill too!  My wife pays $20 unlimited a month and free calls to china.    You have to look for the deals.   Like groceries... we almost never buy unless it is 'buy 1 get 1'... or the smaller place where the is good quality and low price.  We shop 4 places a week.   We wait almost one year to get pancake mix at that deal...so we buy 12 boxes to last a year !   :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dawei said:

Well... at some point, you have to decide who can do better... your 401K or you... and.. who has more time to deal with it too!

Also, are you are getting a company contribution... and even more (ie: profit sharing)... 

Is it being invested in something while it sits where ever it sits? .. who controls that, can you set the investment?  

Lots of issues and angles.  

I personally, now feel, I have more in my 401K than I want because it is not liquid to do something (ie: buy that next house), and the investment options are restrictive to what the company selected as the 401 Broker... but I get a fair amount of company contribution and profit sharing... so I accept that there is a 'safe' nest egg building up there. 

We own two places now and that is another kind of investment.  We will likely sell one to get to that next house we want.  Never say, I can't save that kind of money... you can.  It may take some 'sacrifice' and time to learn it... like drop cable TV!  Waste of money. I'll tell you where to watch all the cable you want for free; watch movies and tv shows for free...  Reduce your cell phone bill too!  My wife pays $20 unlimited a month and free calls to china.    You have to look for the deals.   Like groceries... we almost never buy unless it is 'buy 1 get 1'... or the smaller place where the is good quality and low price.  We shop 4 places a week.   We wait almost one year to get pancake mix at that deal...so we buy 12 boxes to last a year !   :D

I am completely ignorant but desiring to learn more about finance.

The 401K I have is through my Employer and they do contribute a percentage and yes I do have control I would guess within the boundaries of the offerings of the brokerage house they are participating through.

Dropped cable over a decade ago and am not renewing my prime membership they raised it to $120.00 per year and honestly I get better deals on most things on eBay.

Would not mind learning about the ways to watch stuff for free. VPN's and Kodi I suspect.

Groceries have been a bit of a problem lately I have to remember not to take a certain somebody shopping when she is hungry. Oh my goodness is she fun to shop with but I really have to start saying Ummm honey do we really need that??  But I swear when she smiles I crumble. We mostly hit up Sam's and Walmart as they are side by side here and I will venture into Publix now and then on the way home from work as it is convenient but honestly allot of their stuff is 3 times the price and that is just too much.

5 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

Would not mind learning about the ways to watch stuff for free. VPN's and Kodi I suspect.

now the PM ;)

5 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

Groceries have been a bit of a problem lately I have to remember not to take a certain somebody shopping when she is hungry. Oh my goodness is she fun to shop with but I really have to start saying Ummm honey do we really need that??  But I swear when she smiles I crumble. We mostly hit up Sam's and Walmart as they are side by side here and I will venture into Publix now and then on the way home from work as it is convenient but honestly allot of their stuff is 3 times the price and that is just too much.

Publix is great for meat quality but not price... Walmart Salmon is good...  Publix seafood goes on good sales and focus on buy 1 , get 1 on anything there.  That's our focus.  

That's why we use 3 others for smaller produce or stuff on sale.  We like to go about 3-4 times a week and spend a little and go out together and get some air.   

I know we're comparing FL prices... but I'd never buy Walmart (we used to buy their ground pork but we bought a meat grinder for $30 ... I bought a t-bone and grounded it up to a burger !   :P ).   

Sam's is bulk stuff but we never buy bulk stuff.. eat almost nothing from a box or can...  What we buy we cook within a few days... We did buy a convention cooker form Sam's on a friends card and it make the best chicken wings..when we can buy it at .49 cents a pound in a 10 lb bag... we like to go out together 3-4 times a week to shop ;)

That is so funny I got really pissed off one night after eating a burger which is an exceedingly rare thing. Bone Chips again!!!!  So I went and bought a $350.00 Meat Grinder from Cabellas. https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-CARNIVORE-HP-GRINDER/2111979.uts?slotId=0

Yeah Being a former Mercedes Automotive Technician I have a weakness for tools. :)  This thing will grind whatever I put through it.

Get a nice little workout lugging it from the garage as well, weighs in around 40 or 45 pounds, but figure I will expire before it ever does.

Never looked back and totally get what you are saying good cuts of meat freshly ground no comparison.

The biggest problem we have is cooking for only two people we just don't have that big of an appetite. We do freeze allot of things in the chest freezer in the garage.

I tend to eat the same thing every day. I make home made Hummus in a yes $600.00 Vitamix blender (Tools Again) with celery for lunch. Have a tasty recipe using Turmeric and Cayenne pepper if anyone is interested.  Can certainly be adjusted for taste but you really need a pressure cooker for the chick peas and forget about canned ones.  Gotta soak them.  Do it this way once and I assure store bought hummus will taste like plastic by comparison.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

That is so funny I got really pissed off one night after eating a burger which is an exceedingly rare thing. Bone Chips again!!!!  So I went and bought a $350.00 Meat Grinder from Cabellas. https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-CARNIVORE-HP-GRINDER/2111979.uts?slotId=0

Yeah Being a former Mercedes Automotive Technician I have a weakness for tools. :)  This thing will grind whatever I put through it.

Get a nice little workout lugging it from the garage as well, weighs in around 40 or 45 pounds, but figure I will expire before it ever does.

Never looked back and totally get what you are saying good cuts of meat freshly ground no comparison.

The biggest problem we have is cooking for only two people we just don't have that big of an appetite. We do freeze allot of things in the chest freezer in the garage.

I tend to eat the same thing every day. I make home made Hummus in a yes $600.00 Vitamix blender (Tools Again) with celery for lunch. Have a tasty recipe using Turmeric and Cayenne pepper if anyone is interested.  Can certainly be adjusted for taste but you really need a pressure cooker for the chick peas and forget about canned ones.  Gotta soak them.  Do it this way once and I assure store bought hummus will taste like plastic by comparison.

My work out is hand cranking this 2 lb piece of plastic grinder !  :lol:

We've got a freezer too... but for meat we bought on sale :rolleyes:

hummus... healthy in moderation

celery.. lower blood pressure

Turmeric... good anti-inflammatory.. and liver stuff...  but use black pepper to help it absorb as it doesn't so easily.

Cayenne... the more the better...  blood pressure.. spicy means opens the heart... 

1 minute ago, dawei said:

My work out is hand cranking this 2 lb piece of plastic grinder !  :lol:

We've got a freezer too... but for meat we bought on sale :rolleyes:

hummus... healthy in moderation

celery.. lower blood pressure

Turmeric... good anti-inflammatory.. and liver stuff...  but use black pepper to help it absorb as it doesn't so easily.

Cayenne... the more the better...  blood pressure.. spicy means opens the heart... 

Yep Black pepper is a must and a little olive oil or ghee as well Tumeric is not water soluble. SO much for the pills folks want maximum absorption gotta do a little cooking. 

I also make a nice Dahl, need to make some to break it up with the hummus.

• Like 3

A separate thread on cooking would be great. Let’s not derail this thread. :lol:

We had an enchilada casserole tonight which had New Mexico hot green chili’s. Nothing like NM green chili! Finished off Coconut Bliss chocolate bar. Coconut Bliss is the best!

Edited by ralis
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, ralis said:

We had an enchilada casserole tonight which had New Mexico hot green chili’s. Nothing like NM green chili!

Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Feel free to pm me if i you're willing to share, and don't want to further derail this thread. 

16 minutes ago, ralis said:

Ok Buddy you start the thread and I will follow. This Trump thread is making ugly relations I would prefer better relations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Feel free to pm me if i you're willing to share, and don't want to further derail this thread. 

Green chili chicken enchiladas are pretty standard here. We stopped and bought this at one of our favorite restaurants. Is green chili available where you live. Has to be Hatch NM green. I will find a recipe. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, ralis said:

Just started the thread in Off Grid. 

too late-

I stand with countless generations of Mexicans who say: Give me mole or give me death.  An enchilada without mole, is like a child without its mother, an Eskimo without an igloo, a stop without a sign.

Edited by thelerner
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

brings back memories of my grandma.

she used to even make her own  flour tortillas

I'm not  much of a cook,,,maybe a good time to try...

Edited by windwalker

Announcing the First Annual Trump Talk South-of-the-Border Cookout.  I can´t wait to try Ralis´s enchiladas with authentic New Mexican Hatch chiles and Thelerner´s enchiladas with mole. Kar3n, can you bring one of your summer salads?  

• Like 2

Hi @ralis Thank you for starting this thread.

Here is what i do for Golden Humus.

1. Purchase 1  16 oz bag of dried Chick peas or Garbanzo beans. (Same thing)

1A. After soaking measure the beans with a measuring cup and determine how many 16 ounce portions you have typically after soaking I am close to 3 portions from one 16 ounce dried bag.

2. Purchase Tahini it is sesame seed ground like peanut butter.

3. Soak the Chick Peas between 8 and 24 hours they do not mind being left this long to soak

4. Rinse them 10 times and use my clean hand to swish them around Dump the water.

5. Measure for 16 ounce increments

6.1/2 teaspoon of turmeric

7.1 tablespoon cumin & 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper powder 

8. 2 tablespoon lemon pepper & 1 teaspoon of Paprika

9.1 teaspoon garlic salt

10. 1/4 tablespoon of parsley  

11. 1/4 tablespoon chives

12. 3 tablespoons tahini

13. 4 tablespoons lemon juice

14. 1/4 teaspoon or greater black pepper or more to taste.

15. 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil or Ghee

Place all of this except the Tahini in a pressure cooker  cover the chick peas with at-least 2 inches of purified water. Set the pressure cooker for 108 minutes on high and walk away. I always do this in the garage to avoid stinking up the house. Let the pressure cooker depressurize on its own then retrieve the contents.

Blend as needed you will need a very powerful blender to pull this off junk blenders will not handle this forget about the Ninja it is not going to get the job done.

When blending add either Olive oil or water as needed to keep the mix liquid. The more liquid and soupy the better it will firm up in the fridge beyond expectation.

Note: The cooked beans with all spices excepting Tahini can be portioned with equal portions of the cook water in zip locks for at least 4 to 6 months, defrost ,add Tahini and blend as desired.

Will last 4 to 6 months easy frozen. each portion makes allot can refrigerate for one to two weeks once blended in my experience but it rarely lasts that long.

• Like 1

I was going to post a bit earlier, but I just got off the phone with a very good friend of mine and we were reminiscing about the 1960's when we were growing up. Nothing like the 60's!!

First heard this album way back in the early 70's which is perfect to go along with Mexican food and a bottle of good Servasa. I think this is the inside cover. Hard drivin Texas blues!

treshombres.jpg?w=640

Edited by ralis

6 hours ago, ralis said:

I was going to post a bit earlier, but I just got off the phone with a very good friend of mine and we were reminiscing about the 1960's when we were growing up. Nothing like the 60's!!

First heard this album way back in the early 70's which is perfect to go along with Mexican food and a bottle of good Servasa. I think this is the inside cover. Hard drivin Texas blues!

treshombres.jpg?w=640

Wow is that a picture of food you have prepared?  If so you really know how to put out a spread! Fantastic. 

Hmmm think I know what’s for dinner tonight.

4 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Wow is that a picture of food you have prepared?  If so you really know how to put out a spread! Fantastic. 

Hmmm think I know what’s for dinner tonight.

I forgot to say that photo is the inside cover for the ZZ Top album Tres Hombres. When vinyl was the state of the art, album covers were always a work of art.