Patrick Brown

The Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, Patrick Brown said:

Well that's the story of the last two and a half years.

I'm getting more confident we'll just leave without a deal mainly because the numbers of people wanting to leave is growing daily. We know that MP,s, the media and political commentators are trying to skew ours perceptions but it's simply not working. In fact the constant attempts at 'mind-jobbing' are the reason the leave numbers are growing.

I might also add here that the whole world is watching and even they are baffled by the lies and the chaos that our government are causing! Basically our government is looking corrupt which doesn't bode will for the future of the UK. 

The way I saw it was that of the roughly 600 MPs a third (200) voted for May, a third were hard line Brexiteers (the ERG and so forth) and a third were MPs who want a Peoples Vote.  In fact if Corbyn wasn't obsessed with a General Election to bring down the 'Tory scum' and had allowed a free vote then some of the Remainers might have supported the deal making it more like a 50/50 split.  She might even have won.

I don't think Corbyn will win the no confidence vote and thus where will that leave us?  There's no majority for No Deal in the Commons and a government this weak cannot force it through.  So most likely thing will be a delay in Art. 50. ... then we will end up with something that looks very like May's deal.

If Corbyn gets his election and wins - he wants to remain in the Customs Union and the Single Market - which is more or less no Brexit at all.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Apech said:

The way I saw it was that of the roughly 600 MPs a third (200) voted for May, a third were hard line Brexiteers (the ERG and so forth) and a third were MPs who want a Peoples Vote.  In fact if Corbyn wasn't obsessed with a General Election to bring down the 'Tory scum' and had allowed a free vote then some of the Remainers might have supported the deal making it more like a 50/50 split.  She might even have won.

I don't think Corbyn will win the no confidence vote and thus where will that leave us?  There's no majority for No Deal in the Commons and a government this weak cannot force it through.  So most likely thing will be a delay in Art. 50. ... then we will end up with something that looks very like May's deal.

If Corbyn gets his election and wins - he wants to remain in the Customs Union and the Single Market - which is more or less no Brexit at all.

A pretty good summing up of the story so far but non the less somewhat blinkered. The reason that I say this is that you make no mention of the E.U. in all this. Are you so naive as to believe that the European Tyrany is happy for us decide our own fate? Shadowy figures are at work behind the scenes and it is still their desire that we have a further referendum (a so called peoples vote) in the hope that it would go in their favour and all this Brexit nonsense come to an end.

This is their greatest desire and when tonights vote of no confidence in the government fails then renewed efforts will be made to hold a second referendum. Things are in such a state of flux that it would be beyond the ability of any political pundit to say what may happen but I still fear that another referendum could be on the books and that there is a 50/50 chance that it will come to pass.

As regards Corbyn and his ambiguous game regarding Brexit. All of his efforts are towards bringing down the government and forcing a General Election, hoping that the youth vote along with the disarray of the Tories would carry him to power. You would be hard pushed to have any idea regarding his views on Brexit but can be pretty sure that his dreams at night are of a multi cultural, multi racial Marxist state of the Cuban or Venezuelan model. It is a risky game he is playing and many in his own party are starting to tire of him.

Interesting times and plenty of laughs still to be had. I wonder what that old Trendy Lefty 3Bob would have to say on the matter?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Chang said:

A pretty good summing up of the story so far but non the less somewhat blinkered. The reason that I say this is that you make no mention of the E.U. in all this. Are you so naive as to believe that the European Tyrany is happy for us decide our own fate? Shadowy figures are at work behind the scenes and it is still their desire that we have a further referendum (a so called peoples vote) in the hope that it would go in their favour and all this Brexit nonsense come to an end.

This is their greatest desire and when tonights vote of no confidence in the government fails then renewed efforts will be made to hold a second referendum. Things are in such a state of flux that it would be beyond the ability of any political pundit to say what may happen but I still fear that another referendum could be on the books and that there is a 50/50 chance that it will come to pass.

As regards Corbyn and his ambiguous game regarding Brexit. All of his efforts are towards bringing down the government and forcing a General Election, hoping that the youth vote along with the disarray of the Tories would carry him to power. You would be hard pushed to have any idea regarding his views on Brexit but can be pretty sure that his dreams at night are of a multi cultural, multi racial Marxist state of the Cuban or Venezuelan model. It is a risky game he is playing and many in his own party are starting to tire of him.

Interesting times and plenty of laughs still to be had. I wonder what that old Trendy Lefty 3Bob would have to say on the matter?

I don't think I am particularly blinkered.  I'm pragmatic I think.  I voted Remain but it was not because I love the EU and its 'shadowy figures'.  It was purely thoughts of the economic impact of leaving the single market coupled with self interest (cos I live sur le continent and I don't want any of the conditions on my residency to change).  I have come to accept that the referendum should be honoured - I can't see any other option.  But I want some security on a slow transition with minimum turbulence which I felt the deal for all its faults gave us.  I do not loose sleep over the back-stop and these other issues which I consider a red herring anyway.

I think that Corbyn has put party political interests over those of the country - in fact he is so bumbling and incoherent that he is making May look positively statesman like.  I thought she was actually quite good in the House yesterday and while I consider her to have been quite incompetent and sometimes poisonous as Home Sec. for instance,  I can see that the situation is now more or less unmanageable.  It seems to me that this is analogous to war time and there should be a some sense of national unity to get the best deal we can in the face of the EU who are at the end of the day our future competitors.

God save the Queen.

• Haha 1

I empathise with your rational self interest if little else. Lets see what develops after tonights vote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And while we all wait perhaps we might consider that the 'powers-that-be' will be quite happy to cause absolute chaos to get what they want! They don't care about the people and they never did, that's their greatest trick. 

• Thanks 1

MPs have voted for Theresa May's government to continue, rejecting Labour's motion of no confidence by 325 votes to 306.

The show will continue without a change of Leading Lady.

Theresa-May-dancing-2-0.jpg

• Confused 1

Jeremy Corbyn is giving a speech about why he won't talk with May.

Honestly - twat - there I said it

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Apech said:

Jeremy Corbyn is giving a speech about why he won't talk with May.

Honestly - twat - there I said it

Where, where?

GOT IT BBC NEWS

Edited by Patrick Brown

1 minute ago, Patrick Brown said:

Where, where?

GOT IT BBC NEWS

makes me long for Tony Blair :) and that is saying something :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Apech said:

makes me long for Tony Blair :) and that is saying something :)

Well old phoney was at least convincing! Corby is detestable, really, really unlikable. 

Just now, Patrick Brown said:

Well old phoney was at least convincing! Corby is detestable, really, really unlikable. 

Say what you like about Blair he had leadership skills.

I have a feeling that something is going to come from the outside and bang their heads together - I'm not sure what - but otherwise they are sleepwalking into this, while bitching at each other.  Desperate and sad.  Maybe the Queen will dissolve Parliament :):):)

(God bless her).

• Like 1

Did you see this? So Nigel is ready for the fight if all these traitors want to pervert democracy! Good on him I say and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Brixiteer I'm saying it because it's true!. 

4 minutes ago, Apech said:

I have a feeling that something is going to come from the outside and bang their heads together - I'm not sure what - but otherwise they are sleepwalking into this, while bitching at each other.  Desperate and sad.  Maybe the Queen will dissolve Parliament :):):)

(God bless her).

Think you're right as a lot of damage is being done to the UK's credibility especially buSINess wise.

Please don't mention the Queen, that really gets my back up!!!! :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Patrick Brown said:

Think you're right as a lot of damage is being done to the UK's credibility especially buSINess wise.

Please don't mention the Queen, that really gets my back up!!!! :ph34r:

i meant this one:

elizabeth_i_of_england_hardwick_15923-e1

• Haha 1

New plan to stop no deal: Now Labour MP Yvette Cooper tables draft laws to let MP seize control of Brexit - as May faces mass resignations if she tries to stop them

• Yvette Cooper has drafted a new version of laws handing control to Parliament
  • If passed it would oblige the Government to delay exit day to avoid a no deal 
  • Tory Nick Boles has confirmed it is from the same group that drafted his plan 
  • The cross-party effort is determined to stop Britain crashing out on March 29 
  • Comes as May scrambles to shore up her own version of Brexit after huge defeat
  • She has been warned ministers will resign if there is not a free vote on a Plan B 

Senior Labour MP Yvette Cooper has become the latest MP to draft laws that would seize control of the Brexit process from the Government.

Ms Cooper's proposals are an evolved version of a plan produced by Tory Nick Boles earlier this week.

If it were to pass, the Bill would force the Government to delay exit day if there is no deal in place by March 5.

The new version of the draft laws removes the idea of handing control of negotiations to a group of senior MPs after it was criticised.

But the development of the plan on the Labour benches after it was originally a Tory idea will fuel fears in Downing Street a cross-party alliance wants to remove the Government from talks.

The new developments come as it emerged five Tory ministers warned Theresa May yesterday they would resign if she did not offer a free vote on a Plan B Brexit.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6606139/Now-Labour-MP-Yvette-Cooper-tables-draft-laws-let-MP-seize-control-Brexit.html

Is it just me or is this madness? :angry:

I can't believe what's going on as it's making a "Mockery of Democracy" (TM)! B)

I really can't see any other way now than a peoples uprising, I'm not joking! The very fact that this arse-wipe Cooper feels she can override the government is treason! She should be arrested. :ph34r: 

30 minutes ago, Patrick Brown said:

Is it just me or is this madness? :angry:

I can't believe what's going on as it's making a "Mockery of Democracy" (TM)! B)

I really can't see any other way now than a peoples uprising, I'm not joking! The very fact that this arse-wipe Cooper feels she can override the government is treason! She should be arrested. :ph34r: 

From the standpoint of those who wish to shake off the shackles of the E.U. it is indeed madness.

If on the other hand you wish to see Britain remain a catamite to the E.U. buggers then the actions of the Remainiacs is completely rational.

Here are Evette and theresa performing the dance macabre.

38DFCE4B00000578-0-image-a-7_1475062189520.jpg

article-1088773-02925164000005DC-575_468x645.jpg

• Haha 1

But we did win a vote to leave right or was that just my imagination? :huh:

Blood moon coming up on Monday so I wonder if it will live up to it's name?! 

NMFOWNYFJVCJJLZXJBW5NLSZRY.jpg

Even without a Brexit deal, the estimated 45,000-50,000 British citizens living in Portugal – only 23,000 of whom are officially registered – will be able to retain their residence and other rights, including access to state healthcare and recognition of UK academic qualifications, Costa added.

The economy minister, Pedro Siza Vieira, said Portugal was ready to do this unilaterally. “At this moment we do not even know what the UK wants,” he told Reuters. “What every EU member state is doing is adopting measures that allow them to react to a unilateral circumstance.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/17/portugal-plans-special-lanes-for-britons-in-its-airports-after-brexit

Given the enlightened self interest of Portugal - I wonder if the UK could do the same.  In other words exit without a deal as such but immediately pass their own legislation which for instance:

1. guarantees rights of legal migrants to continue living and working in uk

2.  No tariffs for EU goods - and so no border checks in Ireland

3.  that the uk will honour all commitments to areas such as research grants, security and so on.

and challenge the EU to reciprocate.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Apech said:

Given the enlightened self interest of Portugal - I wonder if the UK could do the same.  In other words exit without a deal as such but immediately pass their own legislation which for instance:

1. guarantees rights of legal migrants to continue living and working in uk

2.  No tariffs for EU goods - and so no border checks in Ireland

3.  that the uk will honour all commitments to areas such as research grants, security and so on.

and challenge the EU to reciprocate.

Sounds fair enough to me.