Patrick Brown

The Brexit Thread

1 minute ago, Apech said:

Where you have a boundary between two countries where different custom tariffs, different standards/laws and regulations apply then you have to have border checks - if we remain in the customs union then no need for checks as these things remain the same.

But in reality checks are still needed to stop counterfeit goods and illegal items etc. Does anybody really expect thousands of lorry loads of dodgy items to start spilling into the EU from Northern Ireland though Ireland into the EU? Err no!!!!! It's just a smoke screen and an irrelevancy. It's a 'device' created by the EU as a stumbling block to simple minded people, and I'm not judging the Irish as I'm half Irish myself!! 

4 minutes ago, Apech said:

Britain is a signatory to the Good Friday Agreement which says no hard border.  Ireland as EU member has no customs borders between itself and other EU nations.  So to leave the EU the UK has either to comply with the Good Friday Agreement or break that treaty which it is committed not to do - also the Tories depend on the DUP to whom this is a major issue.

Yes we all get that but a customs border doesn't mean walls but simply the ability to stop and search vehicles at specific points of entry. It's so simple children understand it! 

11 minutes ago, Patrick Brown said:

Yes we all get that but a customs border doesn't mean walls but simply the ability to stop and search vehicles at specific points of entry. It's so simple children understand it! 

That is a hard border.  No one is talking about building a wall - that's Trump's slogan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apech said:

That is a hard border.  No one is talking about building a wall - that's Trump's slogan.

I would argue that it's not and that if Ireland want to stay in the EU and the EU want checks then the checkpoints are need by Ireland more than the UK. As said it's the EU and Ireland's problem to sort this out and not ours. They need to come up with a solution as we don't see a problem. 

This kind of shilly-shallying is why more and more people want a hard Breixt and to keep the 39 Billion, basically to teach the EU a lesson in manors!  

3 minutes ago, Patrick Brown said:

I would argue that it's not and that if Ireland want to stay in the EU and the EU want checks then the checkpoints are need by Ireland more than the UK. As said it's the EU and Ireland's problem to sort this out and not ours. They need to come up with a solution as we don't see a problem. 

This kind of shilly-shallying is why more and more people want a hard Breixt and to keep the 39 Billion, basically to teach the EU a lesson in manors!  

I'm sure there would be a way round it - but it is an issue between Ireland and the EU and the UK - and not one that is internal to the EU.

And by the way it's manners not manors :)

• Like 1

Just now, Apech said:

I'm sure there would be a way round it - but it is an issue between Ireland and the EU and the UK - and not one that is internal to the EU.

And by the way it's manners not manors :)

Yes but if Ireland wants to stay in the EU! We have a part to play but can be flexible so it's not a problem. 

My spelling? Yes no formal education and dyslexic, I feel so privileged! B)

Ireland has long been the mosquito in the tent so far as the U.K. is concerned. A little country of little consequence its people have emmigrated in their millions over the centuries as the land could not support them. They hate the "British" but sell themselves into E.U slavery as they cannot otherwise survive. Yet they call themselves a free land and hold their heads up high in their pride.

The Scottish Nationalists (How they dare call themselves nationalists is beyond me.) are of i similar ilk, desiring to throw of the English yoke and sell their land to the E.U. tyrants.

My own view is that the Irish should, like the E.U. be treated with the contempt they so richly deserve.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Chang said:

Ireland has long been the mosquito in the tent so far as the U.K. is concerned. A little country of little consequence its people have emmigrated in their millions over the centuries as the land could not support them. They hate the "British" but sell themselves into E.U slavery as they cannot otherwise survive. Yet they call themselves a free land and hold their heads up high in their pride.

The Scottish Nationalists (How they dare call themselves nationalists is beyond me.) are of i similar ilk, desiring to throw of the English yoke and sell their land to the E.U. tyrants.

My own view is that the Irish should, like the E.U. be treated with the contempt they so richly deserve.

You might be right and I can say that as my farther was from Belfast!! :lol:

4 hours ago, Patrick Brown said:

Yes but if Ireland wants to stay in the EU! We have a part to play but can be flexible so it's not a problem. 

My spelling? Yes no formal education and dyslexic, I feel so privileged! B)

I never let my dyslexia interfere with my ecudidation.  :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chang said:

yes from Cromwell onward (at least)  the Irish question was Britains thorn in the side.

• Like 1

Well the EU just said no renegotiation, which we knew would happen, so we're leaving without a deal then? 

Oh and all that stuff yesterday was basically balls, again which we knew! 

This is mental illness! Didn't Einstein warn about this? :blink:

29 minutes ago, Patrick Brown said:

Well the EU just said no renegotiation, which we knew would happen, so we're leaving without a deal then? 

Oh and all that stuff yesterday was basically balls, again which we knew! 

This is mental illness! Didn't Einstein warn about this? :blink:

Yes - exactly - all of yesterday was bollocks - except that the ERG supported the amendment which basically means they blinked - but then they knew that the EU would not give anything so they will return to their previous stance once May returned from Brussels (or where-ever) with nothing.

The issue with 'no deal' is that it won't go through Parliament - so then Her Maj will have to wave her magic wand.

• Like 1

Not the most convincing bunch of Brexiteers but hey we'll take what we can get as all is fair in love and war! 

EDIT: I take that back, they're alright and a good cross section. 

Edited by Patrick Brown

Italy's economy tipped into recession at the end of last year, according to latest figures.

In the final three months of 2018, the economy shrank by 0.2%, following a 0.1% decline in the third quarter, the Istat statistics office said.

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said the contraction was likely to continue into 2019.

Meanwhile, figures from the EU showed economic growth in the 19-country eurozone still languishing.

Growth in the euro area remained at 0.2% in the final quarter of 2018, the same as the previous quarter and in line with analysts' expectations.

The figures, issued by the Eurostat agency, showed that in the 28-nation EU as a whole, fourth-quarter growth was 0.3%.

Italy's statistics office said agriculture, forestry, fishing and industry had all contributed to the economic downturn, while a rise in net exports failed to offset those declines.

Italy's coalition government was forced to revise its expansionary 2019 budget last month after the European Commission raised concerns about the impact on the country's debt levels.

Last week, European Central Bank president Mario Draghi said eurozone economic data had been weaker than expected and the risks to growth had increased.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47068401

Isn't it ironic or perhaps just blatantly, desperately, obvious that the EU would want us to remain but hey if they want to cut off their nose...

So how much more would we be damaged by staying in the EU rather than getting out? If we're just talking about damage limitation then we should have left two and a half years ago. Anybody can see that the EU is desperate and wants to drag us down with them! Of course they are deluded into thinking they can survive the 'extreme' economic downturn that is just beginning.

Any half-minded  buSINness person would weigh-up their cauliflowers and take the safest route and avoid gambles which I would suggest is a case of cutting-your-losses, getting-out and moving-on

I could feel a bit guilty about keeping the 39 billion but the EU could have bent in the wind so fek em! 

Leader of the House of Commons Andrea Leadsom has announced that MP’s February half-term recess will be cancelled in order to have more time to push through Brexit legislation. Guido can understand why Downing Street doesn’t want to see MPs snapped on European ski slopes this winter…

Source: https://order-order.com/2019/01/31/leadsom-cancels-february-recess/

Sniping more like! 

:lol:

Gilets jaunes: France to ban masks at protests amid unrest

France's National Assembly has approved a law banning the wearing of masks at protests, and another to ban specific people from taking part in rallies.

Wearing a mask could now result in a one-year prison sentence and a €15,000 (£13,000; $17,000) fine.

France has seen weekly protests by the "gilets jaunes" (yellow vest) movement - with isolated pockets of violence.

But police are also under scrutiny for allegedly causing severe injury to peaceful protesters.

The case of Jérôme Rodrigues has reignited the debate over police actions. Mr Rodrigues, a self-described pacifist, was hit in the eye during a rally on Saturday, and may lose his sight in that eye.

Restricting rights, or guaranteeing them?
The new laws have yet to clear the final legislative hurdle after a long debate failed to get to the end of the draft text - but its main provisions were adopted by lawmakers on Wednesday evening.

In addition to the ban on wearing a mask or other face covering without justification, a specifically named person can now be prohibited from demonstrating.

Previously, judges could issue such an injunction as part of a case - but the power to ban a person from protesting will now also be granted to regional administrators.

Supporters of this ban say it will only target repeat violent offenders: they must represent a serious threat to public order and have carried out some violent act against people or property.

Ignoring such a prohibition could result in a six-month prison sentence and a €7,500 fine, although anyone affected will be allowed an urgent appeal against the initial order.

Another part of the law hopes to make troublemakers financially liable for any property damage they cause.

Many French lawmakers have expressed concern that the legislation could have an impact on personal rights.

Speaking on French broadcaster BFMTV, a spokesperson for President Emmanuel Macron's party, Aurore Bergé, said the new law was not about restricting freedoms, but about guaranteeing them.

"We are not talking about any French person taken at random – we are talking about those who have injured, tried to kill, or destroyed property," she said.

"This law is to let those who genuinely want to protest to always do so."

'Flashball' use
The case of Jérôme Rodrigues has made national headlines throughout France.

He was live-streaming Saturday's protest to Facebook when he says he was hit by a "flashball", or LBD - a non-lethal rubber ball.

Mr Rodrigues still does not know if his sight will fully return
On Wednesday, French media reported that police had finally admitted that an LBD was fired in the same area and at the time Mr Rodrigues was injured - but stopped short of saying there was a link between the two.

It is now up to the national police inspectorate to find any link.

One police source told the AFP news agency that the weapons were needed due to the scale of the protests, which have seen thousands take to the streets.

"We're being attacked with glass bottles, cinder blocks, acid and bolts," the source said.

"An LBD is the weapon that scares people. If they took them away from us, no officer will want to work during the protests."

But protesters frequently allege unjustified use of force.

France's government has been equally firm about the need to protect the general public and hold those who are violent or damage property accountable.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47070263 

I'm wondering what effect this will have? Will it simply inflame matters!! :lol:

EU PANIC: Luxembourg finance minister warns Barnier 'NOT SMART' to punish UK

LUXEMBOURG Finance Minister Pierre Gramegna has warned it is “not smart” for Eurocrats to want “punish” Britain for voting to leave the European Union.

Read in full (with video): https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1080391/Brexit-news-UK-EU-latest-Theresa-May-Michel-Barnier-backstop-Ireland-London-city

And this is why they won't be getting a penny!