Sign in to follow this  
Mig

Are people stupid, disrespectful or careless

For the seven years we lived in Brooklyn, and for several years before moving there, my wife and I didn't own a vehicle and I cycled everywhere.  When I rode the streets, I was defensive and always gave way to vehicles, never assuming they saw me or cared even if they did... not for convenience, but safety... as any altercation between a bike and a car is going to end badly for the cyclist.

For clarity, the pedestrians in this situation are ignoring their designated path and putting themselves at risk. I worry for them sometimes, particularly the stroller pushers, or those with phones in their hands, or particularly the stroller pushers with phones in their hands... they are the ones that stand to lose in any altercation between my bike and their body. 

The path that Mig is describing was designed by the city of Redondo Beach specifically for bicycles and pedestrians have their own designated path right next to the cycling path.  The pedestrians simply treat it all like a walking path, or a 'stop in a circle and have a chat' spot.  The most common problems are caused by the folks crossing the bike path from the beach.  It's rather surprising while I sit and watch while hanging out at the beach, how many people simply cross without even looking to see if a bike is barreling down on them. 

7 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

It's rather surprising while I sit and watch while hanging out at the beach, how many people simply cross without even looking to see if a bike is barreling down on them. 

People are in their heads a lot. I once worked with a man who was so smart he could solve almost any computer problem before anyone else could even articulate the question, yet despite his intelligence I needed to literally walk next to him and prevent him from stepping in front of moving cars while crossing the street. Such is life...

5 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

People are in their heads a lot. I once worked with a man who was so smart he could solve almost any computer problem before anyone else could even articulate the question, 

Ooh , I know that one !

Turn the computer off , and turn it back on again ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2018 at 2:43 PM, liminal_luke said:

There`s something very useful to be gained from this observation that motorists often cross through bike lanes seemingly unaware of bike traffic, and it has nothing to do with whether or not said motorists are stupid or not.

The takeaway for me is that bicyclists should be extra aware and extra careful so as to avoid getting hurt.  This isn`t fair, I know.  In a better world, drivers would be smarter, nicer, more careful.  Unfortunately, there`s not a whole lot a single bicyclist can do to change the motoring world.  It falls on bicyclists to protect themselves by wearing easily seen clothing and not making assumptions that cars are going to follow the law.

I`m sure you already do this, Mig, so my comment isn`t meant for you personally.  Just something I thought could use saying.

Thanks. As for motorist, that's another topic of discussion. Indeed, car drivers think they own the world, I have had the experience of biking on the bike lane, three empty lanes with little traffic and there is almost always someone driving next me at full speed. I don't know how to label that but for me it is plain and simply stupidity. Every year there are cyclist victims. I know there are some idiots cyclists out there but personally, I am careful and keep an eye of traffic. When I drive, I respect cyclist space and if possible drive next lane. Again, my question was about how humans cannot pay attention when crossing a bike path. They certainly know they won't get hurt because they won't do the same if they cross a street, if you cross without paying attention death is inevitable.

23 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

People are in their heads a lot. I once worked with a man who was so smart he could solve almost any computer problem before anyone else could even articulate the question, yet despite his intelligence I needed to literally walk next to him and prevent him from stepping in front of moving cars while crossing the street. Such is life...

I hear you, some people lack basic skills. As stated before, when I bike I look people coming down, chatting and when I get there, they won't pay attention to cross the bike path so I have to yell, "on your left", such is life

The people in question are altered, diminished from what they would have been.

Sensitivity, perception, judgement and discernment - these are undesirable qualities in people someone would like to enslave and rule over.

So we see things like neurotoxic fluoride added to municipal water and thus concentrated in most restaurant and factory-produced "food".

We see babies injected with neurotoxic mercury and aluminum at birth, then about 70+ times through the critical stages of development.

The vaccine schedule hits developmental milestones of age fairly perfectly, injecting mind and body damaging chemicals at each step.

The growing "people" are given fractionated, weak, refined industrial products advertised to the brain-damaged as "food".

They are given animals grown in and killed by great suffering and fear - animals with "desirable" traits - chickens, pigs, and docile cows.

If they get sick, which they will, important immune system glands and organs are cut out - tonsils, adenoids, appendix.

This weakens them and makes them dependent on antibiotics and other "medical" weapons.

In the hospital, there is lead in the saline water used in intravenous fluids.

Then they are brainwashed in specially made institutions for about 12-16 straight years, almost 24/7 if you factor in TV and other media.

THIS is who you are wondering - why they are not attentive?

- VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure there's a lot to be said about this.  Sometimes hard to separate the facts from conspiracy theories though.  And I rarely see anything said about this from governments or the media.

This likely links with the concept of the dumbing down of Americans (and in general the common peoples of the world).

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

This likely links with the concept of the dumbing down of Americans (and in general the common peoples of the world).

That's surely their longterm goal #1.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this