Lost in Translation

What is a Daoist?

whole... part...  all are one.

For me the whole is reflected in each part... they are never separate.  As above, so below... as within, without.  Where our focus lies... determines what our conscious mind plays with and creates stories around... but we are never separate from Dao, no matter what we call ourselves, or what we call 'the dao'.  Source is source.

Dao/source in this light mirrors in a holographic presence in each particle of the manifest and the void of non-form.  The ephemeral, gossamer, intangible source of all manifest and non manifest is everywhere saturated. 

• Like 1

What do you guys/girls think about the traditional Chinese view that a Taoist is anyone who is working as a Taoist? It's vocational instead of philosophical. For example running a Taoist shrine would make you a Taoist. The folks showing up to offer incense or mediate would not be considered Taoist, no matter how into it they are. 

I'm not saying that none of us can call ourselves Taoists, just think it's interesting to consider Taoist identity from the historical perspective.

And identity gets so messy. Often practitioners would themselves identify with their lineage/teacher more than being Taoist. I am a student of this or that guy more than being Taoist or Buddhist. And then the nature of Taoist identity is always changing through the ages. In the Tang Taoist identity is pretty tight, loosens in the Song/Yuan, then tightens up after that. For example Li Daochun a famous alchemist from the Song/Yuan era doesn't seem comfortable calling himself a Taoist; I'm just some dude who is interested in spiritual cultivation however defined. Then in the Ming/Qing it seems practitioners are more into the Taoist label. But still lineage is their central identifying characteristic. I guess it makes sense from the Chinese perspective to plop everyone down into their social network. The Chinese love family. So instead of coming up with a philosophical distinction they use a social one. Who I am is who I am related to and what I do for society. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nathan Brine said:

What do you guys/girls think about the traditional Chinese view that a Taoist is anyone who is working as a Taoist?

This just re-frames the question. Now one must ask "How does one work as a Taoist?", which further re-frames the question to "Who is authorized to grant work as a Taoist?" Pretty soon we're back where we started. 

I think that anyone who has the basic principles of Taoism as their personal philosophy, regardless of any other attachments, could be called a Taoist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I think that anyone who has the basic principles of Taoism as their personal philosophy, regardless of any other attachments, could be called a Taoist.

Taoist: n; Anyone who self-describes as a Taoist. See Taoism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nathan Brine said:

What do you guys/girls think about the traditional Chinese view that a Taoist is anyone who is working as a Taoist? 

It is a correct view. Provided that the guy/girl in question is a traditional Chinese.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

It is a correct view. Provided that the guy/girl in question is a traditional Chinese.

Racist!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Racist!

Hi Dada-da,

A racist Taoist practises Taoism within a circle and four perfect squares?

golden_symbol_of_taoism_daoism_small_square_tile-r0f40bf31a86d491a808f715cbfcf6128_agtk1_8byvr_324.jpg

- LimA

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

But the perfect square has no corners.

Hi Dada-da,

My racist Taoist friend says there are 16 corners in his squared Taoism.

Count yourself...

golden_symbol_of_taoism_daoism_small_square_tile-r0f40bf31a86d491a808f715cbfcf6128_agtk1_8byvr_324.jpg

- LimA

5 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I can't count myself. 

Hi Dada-da,

You are lucky - ignorance is bliss.

tenor.gif?itemid=5701246

My racist Taoist friend is color blind.

- LimA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

Boooo , hisss  

• Like 1

There are no correct or incorrect definitions. But some definitions correspond to common usage and others don't. And common usage may vary from one country to another (or if one wants to be absolutely precise even from one person to another). So asking for the real Taoist to stand up is sure to end in chaos or heated debate. Better to define the different types of Taoists in rather broad categories and leave it at that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nathan Brine said:

And then the nature of Taoist identity is always changing through the ages. In the Tang Taoist identity is pretty tight, loosens in the Song/Yuan, then tightens up after that.

Some quotes would have been helpful.

" For example Li Daochun a famous alchemist from the Song/Yuan era doesn't seem comfortable calling himself a Taoist; "

Well, he was comfy enough to call himself "Pure Tao", so...

Edited by Taoist Texts

54 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

" For example Li Daochun a famous alchemist from the Song/Yuan era doesn't seem comfortable calling himself a Taoist; "

We will call that arrogance.

Anything in the Manifest cannot be "Pure Tao".

1 hour ago, Taoist Texts said:

We're there any political reasons at that time where calling oneself a Taoist would have been unwise?

17 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Hi Dada-da,

For example - wu wei as attached.

- LimA

Wu_wei.jpg

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

42 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

For example - wu wei as attached.

- LimA

Wu_wei.jpg

That's one of the principles.

But yeah.

Yah, but some of us never appreciate the water that was in the well until after the well has gone dry.

• Thanks 1