Phoenix3

Why does Theravada Buddhism or the Suttas not acknowledge the lower dantian?

I’ve heard that Buddhist meditation develops the Po (yin) spirit. 

The Po (yin) spirit is said to originate from the lower dantian.

Yet the Suttas never mention this area, and theravada monks (the Buddhists who follow the most traditional teachings) never seem to mention it either.

So what’s going on?

From my perspective one of the fundamental aspects of Buddhist meditation, focus on the breath, is synonymous with diaphragmatic breathing which keeps a large portion of my field of attention/concentration on the lower dantian .

• Like 1

I heard from somewhere that Po originates in the lower dantian. Now I read it originates in the lungs, or the heart. I don’t know :( never mind

Because it wasn't needed. Buddha didn't mention it because it really in a context of his teachings is not something that useful.  Also the way you describe buddhism seems kinda from daoist point of view. Buddha did talk about chakras. Why? Because he revealed tantras and chakras are sth with which people of india might have been more familiar with. If Buddha was in China he would probably talk about dantien.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phoenix3 said:

I heard from somewhere that Po originates in the lower dantian. Now I read it originates in the lungs, or the heart. I don’t know :( never mind

http://elixirfield.blogspot.com/2018/05/white-tiger-of-heart-take-filled-heart.html

This shows the alchemy of the Po Soul - it's all connected based on Heaven and EArth, Fire and Water, Dragon and Tiger -

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Phoenix3 said:

Yet the Suttas never mention this area, and theravada monks (the Buddhists who follow the most traditional teachings) never seem to mention it either.

So what’s going on?

Tsa lung exercises are used in Bön (not sure about Buddhism in general) to clear blockages of the chakras and channels.

One of the areas focused on corresponds closely to the lower dan tian.

Edit

... sorry, I'm not referring to Thervada or the suttas

Edited by steve

22 hours ago, Phoenix3 said:

So what’s going on?

Filling is the same (but opposite side view) as clearing. Suttas are about clearing issues and obstructions.  The lower dantian would translate to suttas about dropping anger and other base emotions.

57 minutes ago, steve said:

Tsa lung exercises are used in Bön (not sure about Buddhism in general) to clear blockages of the chakras and channels.

One of the areas focused on corresponds closely to the lower dan tian.

Edit

... sorry, I'm not referring to Thervada or the suttas

If I got it right, that information is not in the suttas, it is in the tantras. And in some tantras (they differ on energetic anatomy) the kanda =ldt. 

A lot of this information developed long after the time of Buddha. 

Edited by Mudfoot
Added sentence
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Phoenix3 said:

So what’s going on?

Different takes on how you awaken to Liberation. 

9 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

http://elixirfield.blogspot.com/2018/05/white-tiger-of-heart-take-filled-heart.html

This shows the alchemy of the Po Soul - it's all connected based on Heaven and EArth, Fire and Water, Dragon and Tiger -

Thanks for this! But do you know where Po is found? It doesn’t say on your website. I know it is produced by the lungs.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:47 PM, Phoenix3 said:

Thanks for this! But do you know where Po is found? It doesn’t say on your website. I know it is produced by the lungs.

So at the first birth out of the womb - the lung qi has to be stronger than the liver qi - whereas pre-heaven in the womb - the energy is still unified through the shen-qi of the third eye. But at conception - the Po soul is what develops the embryo and so the nose is what first develops and then the eyes. So the right side eye is the Po soul - as the yang qi - which means it is the right side vagus nerve that connects the reproductive organ to the right side of the heart. As the book Taoist Yoga: alchemy and immortality explains - the Tiger channel - is the right hand palm center - to the right ventricle of the heart and to the testicles - as a "restraining nerve" - it is the vagus nerve that connects the right ventricle to the testicles. So in the "moving of yin and yang" exercise - when we put the right hand over the heart - for males - the right hand is yin (as it hangs below the waist and so the right side is yin for the lower body) - and so as the Tiger - this then is the yin that resonates or connects to the yang of the upper body - the shen.

It is known that the two nostrils under the nose are for respiration. This is because they can correctly grasp Heaven and Earth. In exhalation one’s own internal Yuan Qi exits. In inhalation, Heaven and Earth’s correct (positive) qi  from outside, enters. When the body is strong and healthy, it is possible to take in this correct qi of Heaven and Earth, so that one’s lifespan can be lengthened. If the Jing Qi is week and feeble, the correct qi  of Heaven and Earth will disperse and escape with exhalation, the body’s Yuan Qi (Original Qi) will not return and instead will be taken by Heaven and Earth. Everyone fails to understand that qi is the true medicine for prolonging life and cannot find the gate to enter....In the Wu Ji state, the nose develops first, and then the two eyes. The spiritual qi of the eyes comes from the brain. The manifestation of intelligence in the brain comes is generated by the heart.... If the body and form are uneasy and the heart-mind moves, then the spirit will not enter the qi and the body’s qi will be consumed and dispersed. Then one’s nature will be confused and will lack understanding. Therefore it is said that the body’s spirit must not exit. 

General Discussion of the Medicine Collecting Method.  excerpted from The True Transmission of Ba Gua Zhang 八卦拳真传 Ba Gua Zhang Zhen Chuan by Sun Xi Kun 孙锡 堃

So I did a blog post on this - https://www.internalartsinternational.com/free/sun-xi-kun-daoism-part-iv-general-discussion-medicine-collecting-method-2/

http://elixirfield.blogspot.com/2018/03/more-on-white-tiger-green-dragon-wu.html

Yeah here it is....

yeah Damo Mitchell really captures the secret.

So

In Daoist meditation the trigram Kan represents the Kidneys and Dantian. Kan is full in the middle (it has a solid yang line in the middle). The yang line in the center indicates that there is a true yang-fire within yin-water. Li represents the heart and chest. Li is empty in the middle. This symbolizes the hidden true yin-water within yang-fire. Normally, fire is light and rises to the chest and water is heavy and sinks to Dantian. This is the post-heaven state whose trigram configuration moves temporally from birth to death. However if fire is brought beneath water, they mutually restrain each other and interact. This creates steam and condensation which is a rarefied energy. Then the middle lines of the trigrams switch places and the Qian trigram and Kun trigrams (Hexagram 11: Tai) are formed creating the original pre-heaven state, which in Daoist beliefs leads to stopping of the temporal movement and therefore “immortality”...

General Discussion of the Medicine Collecting Method.  excerpted from The True Transmission of Ba Gua Zhang 八卦拳真传 Ba Gua Zhang Zhen Chuan by Sun Xi Kun 孙锡 堃

So what Damo Mitchell explains is...

Well first there is Aaron Cheak:

Hence when yang (fire) contains a yin essence, it is known as wood (lesser yang) and when yin (water) contains a yang essence, it is known as metal (lesser yin)….just as greater yang (fire) grows from lesser yang (wood), so must fire be retracted back into wood. Just as greater yin (water) grows from lesser yin (metal), so must water be retracted back into metal. The two retracted halves - wood and metal, lesser yang and lesser yin, are then able to form the perfect earthly balance. This retraction and unification of yin and yang provides the matrix in which the golden embryo grows or is cultivated. 'Taking from water (☵) to fill in fire (☲)’:

The History and Dynamics of Daoist Alchemy by Aaron Cheak, Ph.D.

O.K. now Damo Mitchell:

Oh wait - then these people: Jeaneane D. Fowler, Shifu Keith Ewers

The triagram K'an/Kan is Water and predominantly yin and female. But the middle line is yang and alchemically it is the yang in the yin, the White Tiger, ....its function is to descend to Earth when fire reacts with it. It is the fire in the water.

So this is why the "direction" has to be "reversed" -  Damo Mitchell:

In the alchemical process, the yang in the water is used to settle the yin in the fire: the water rises and the fire descends. Thus the solid yang line is taken out of the Water to replace the middle yin line in the Fire, thus producing Heaven.

So then the Sun and the Moon line up - the Liver is the Moon that goes down to the Moon of the Kidney - the Lung is the Sun of the kidneys that goes up to the Sun of the Heart.

So the deep breathing brings the lung qi DOWN to then pull the FIRE (the liver qi) DOWN with it... NOW I GET IT.... I was wondering why the LUng qi DESCENDS. Since it is Water as Tiger with yang in it... so it descends - that's what the water refers to....

The Lungs also direct Qi downward. A full inhalation can only occur when the Lungs send Qi down to the Kidneys, which in turn “Grasp The Qi.” This is essentially “Dantian Breathing,” or “Kidney Breathing,” the deep abdominal breathing advocated in meditation, Nei Gong and the martial arts. For this reason, natural deep breathing is of paramount importance in the internal arts.

Tom Bisio, author of Nei Gong: The Authentic Classic (Nei Gong Zhen Chuan)

Firstly let me explain what is meant by “Taming the Dragon & Tiger”. Within Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) they consider the Qi (energy) inside of us as (Yin) and corresponds to the Dragon (Long), whereas the Blood or Fire (Huo) that circulates inside us is considered to be (Yang) and corresponds to the Tiger (Hu). So the heading “Taming the Dragon & Tiger”

https://lfiaa.wordpress.com/

O.K. so then Master Nan, Huai-jin gets into this regarding vasoconstriction. So in other words it is the deep vagus nerve activation that dilates the blood vessels - so that the qi in the blood - the vapor in the fluid - can get through the whole brain and clear out the blockages.

The Lungs are considered the "minister" to the Heart which is the "emperor" - and so the lungs function to regulate the energy.

So when the breath is held AFTER exhale - this activates the vagus nerve and causes the blood to flood the brain - because the body instinctively saves the most important organ first when there is lack of oxygen.

O.K. then if you scroll down it says in an alchemical text - the Perfect Tiger of the Yuan Qi (undivided yin-yang) is NOT the tiger of the lungs but rather the Yin Tiger of the kidneys. This is another way of saying that Earth generates the lung energy.

So the tiger is then called the "water within the qi" - and so I think the refers to the ionized lecithin - this is also called mercury which is also called fire.

So this is then returned to the Heart - via the pineal gland with the cerebrospinal fluid overflowing out of the sinus cavity and is then swallowed down the front channel - as the ambrosia.

The Dragon is the Breath of Correct Yang within the Liquor of the heart. Control it so that it would not rise out; if it meets the Breath of  the kidneys, they would naturally mix. The Tiger is the Water of True  Unity within the Breath of the kidneys. Control it so that it would not
descend; if it encounters the Liquor of the heart, they would naturally be united. When the Dragon and the Tiger conjoin, a pill shaped like  a millet grain is formed. This method is called the Mating of the  Dragon and the Tiger.

https://healingtaousa.com/articles/destiny-vital-force-or-existence/

Yeah so this specifically refers to this - through the microcosmic orbit or small heavenly circulation aka small universe meditation.

Meanings of Ming in Daoist Internal Alchemy and Its Relation to Xing or Human Nature

Author: Fabrizio Pregadio

So when this happens you feel first the kidneys get hot, then the thymus gets hot and then the pineal gland gets hot.

What is happenining is you are taking the lecithin that is normally lost through the "normal" path and you are reversing and ionizing it and returning it to the pineal gland and the heart and then back to the small intestines - the 2nd brain - that stores the charge. The lecithin insulates the charge.

• Like 1