wandelaar

Derek Lin's Tao Te Ching

13 hours ago, Shidifen said:

Derek Lin's Youtube channel is here -

I took some time this morning to watch the video on DDJ5. It is a good breakdown and discussion of the first few lines dealing with straw dogs. 

Harkened me back to my Christian upbringing .... going to church on Sunday and hearing a good sermon. Such discussions are very useful. They tend to make you think ... consider possiblities ... help you arrive at your own perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Does that mean that when you hear a sound you do not recognize it as "a sound"?

No, but a good question.  I recognize it as a sound but make no judgement if it was the "right or wrong" sound.

Depending on the sound, I might need to duck.

29 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

No, but a good question.  I recognize it as a sound but make no judgement if it was the "right or wrong" sound.

Here is an expression that I never quite understood:

Seeing with the ear and hearing with the eye

This may be the key to true emptiness. As long as you still categorize impressions in terms of sounds, sights, flavors, etc. you have not quite arrived at empty awareness or true emptiness.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Here is an expression that I never quite understood:

Seeing with the ear and hearing with the eye

This may be the key to true emptiness. As long as you still categorize impressions in terms of sounds, sights, flavors, etc. you have not quite arrived at empty awareness or true emptiness.

Yeah, and actually I just recently hear (read) that expression for the first time.  It is illogical to me so I never put any thought into it.  But your perspective is worthy of thought.  Oneness.

Regarding the last two lines of DDJ5, Dan G Reid translates them as 

To speak countless words is worthless

This is not as good as guarding balance within

... and makes the following interpretation based on comparison of DDJ5 and other proto-daoist texts.

Preserving Dao within, Sages do not take counsel from the confused logic and surface understanding of those whose vision is blurred by desire, fear, ambition, and self-interest.

... yet, another way of looking at it.

10 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, and actually I just recently hear (read) that expression for the first time.  It is illogical to me so I never put any thought into it.  But your perspective is worthy of thought.  Oneness.

I've never heard it before, but imagine that it speaks to the ordinary processing one already uses on sights and sounds, in the case of following this advice, sounds exist but are neutral , as are sights. but thats just guessing.

• Like 1

This has been recommended via a YT channel I've been following, promoting a Wudang school of Tai Chi. I want to give it a go!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 10:34 PM, Marblehead said:

Hi Dada-da,

If the sound comes from here, you will be quite alright?

For verification - make an appointment with Nature.

Are other sounds - deviations from Nature?

Perhaps noises?

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
  • Like 1

Nature is always communicating.  It's just that we are unable to hear most if those communications.

On 7/11/2018 at 5:44 AM, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

1263414608-quote-Radhanath-Swami-mother-nature-is-always-speaking-she-speaks-220235.png

1de0b93a72599fbeaf2beccee780aeb0.jpg

- LimA

How can you listen your body?

27 minutes ago, Mig said:

How can you listen your body?

Good question.

Start with your emotions.  Whenever you experience an emotion, whether positive or negative, ask yourself why this emotion came into being.  Ask yourself if it was something physical (that's natural and really no work to be done here) or if it was something, a belief, an understanding, that is in your mind that allows for or forces these emotions to your consciousness.

And from there we can find ways to listen to the rest of our mind and our body.  As always, if there is an effect, there was a cause.  Magic and miracles are not needed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Good question.

Start with your emotions.  Whenever you experience an emotion, whether positive or negative, ask yourself why this emotion came into being.  Ask yourself if it was something physical (that's natural and really no work to be done here) or if it was something, a belief, an understanding, that is in your mind that allows for or forces these emotions to your consciousness.

And from there we can find ways to listen to the rest of our mind and our body.  As always, if there is an effect, there was a cause.  Magic and miracles are not needed.

I hear you but my mind is not my body. I used to have a lower back pain and nothing doctors, chiropractor, PT, etc. wouldn't guess until by accident I found it was piriformis syndrome. Today, I found the right medication and right exercises and I am doing well. And I can tell you I couldn't listen my body, just be aware of the symptoms and that's why I asked how do we listen our bodies??

• Like 1

I tend to agree with the emotions discussion. When I think about the extreme emotional experiences I have had ... love, anger, fear ... I can recall as much physical feeling as mental stress. This only confirms for me that body, mind and spirit constitute a whole. From there it seems reasonable that milder emotional response might also be reflected in the physical experience .... maybe even show up there before we are even aware mentally. And perhaps, if the emotional experience were extreme, that once the immediate circumstances have resolved, physical traces remain. (Makes me wonder about the true nature of post traumatic stress, but thsts a whole different discussion)

So, if this were true, then how does one listen to the body. I think it is largely a matter of mindfulness. Initially, in developing mindfulness, establishing a quiet setting, without a lot of distraction, so that you can focus (listen) on the feelings that are present in the body seems advisable. As you gain familiarity with the body's feelings, taking mindfulness outside of the setting might be easier. Emotions seem like a good place to start. 

Edited by OldDog
Grammer, duplicate words

On 7/30/2018 at 3:50 AM, Marblehead said:

Good question.

Hi Dada-da,

I will try and perceive the following from you per a make believe perspective that I am hard of hearing since birth - with comments in between the lines.

I will also come from the direction of myself as one had helped a 11 year old deaf/mute paraplegic who had lost his mother. He is WL - a fantastic budding artistic who is very good with sign language; but I sign like a poorly evolved primate.

Start with your emotions.  Whenever you experience an emotion, whether positive or negative, ask yourself why this emotion came into being.  

- Because I am a human being.

- From WL's perspective - there will be less negative emotions because he hears/speaks nothing negative?

Ask yourself if it was something physical (that's natural and really no work to be done here).

- If the catalysts of my emotions are physical addressing/arresting them will be easier.

- From WL's perspective - the physicality of emotions will be more challenging e.g. no football.

... or if it was something, a belief, an understanding, that is in your mind that allows for or forces these emotions to your consciousness.

- Such emotions will definitely be stickier and harder to (re)solve.

- Perhaps they will be more trying for WL because it is harder for him to express himself.

- Perhaps not because WL paints beautifully.

And from there we can find ways to listen to the rest of our mind and our body.

- Yes, such deliberations make me more attuned to the tunes of my life.

As always, if there is an effect, there was a cause.

- Yes for instance your post is the cause and my response is the effect.

Magic and miracles are not needed.

- My life is magical when I am blessed with Divine miracles.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mig said:

I hear you but...

Hi Mig,

My comments - in between your lines:

... my mind is not my body.

- Your mind and your body belong to The One as an unity thus: 

47a301_ngbbs4569e0fa99721.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I used to have a lower back pain and nothing doctors, chiropractor, PT, etc. wouldn't guess until by accident I found it was piriformis syndrome.

- You really found it by accident?

Today, I found the right medication and right exercises and I am doing well.

- Very good re the 'right's.

And I can tell you I couldn't listen my body...

- Maybe The One will give teach you.

... just be aware of the symptoms and that's why I asked how do we listen our bodies??

- Subconsciously?

- You must answer your own ??

- LimA

On 7/30/2018 at 1:12 AM, Limahong said:

Hi Mig,

My comments - in between your lines:

... my mind is not my body.

- Your mind and your body belong to The One as an unity thus: 

47a301_ngbbs4569e0fa99721.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I used to have a lower back pain and nothing doctors, chiropractor, PT, etc. wouldn't guess until by accident I found it was piriformis syndrome.

- You really found it by accident?

Today, I found the right medication and right exercises and I am doing well.

- Very good re the 'right's.

And I can tell you I couldn't listen my body...

- Maybe The One will give teach you.

... just be aware of the symptoms and that's why I asked how do we listen our bodies??

- Subconsciously?

- LimA

Yes, I found it by accident as I never felt anything in all the piriformis area. By pressing and realizing that I had a problem so even if I heard my body, the numbness and lower back pain were not the root of the problem. It was the sciatica nerve.

just be aware of the symptoms and that's why I asked how do we listen our bodies??

- Subconsciously?

I couldn't answer the question until I challenged doctors and found the solution by trial and error

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mig said:

Yes, I found it by accident as I never felt anything in all the piriformis area. By pressing and realizing that I had a problem so even if I heard my body, the numbness and lower back pain were not the root of the problem. It was the sciatica nerve.

You are One with yourself - and you listen as One?

The bottom-line - you are better now as One?

You listen well as One?

32 minutes ago, Mig said:

I couldn't answer the question until I challenged doctors and found the solution by trial and error

You challenged well as One - experientially?

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

You are One with yourself - and you listen as One?

What do you make of Not-Two... and then Not-One ?

maybe just a reverse sequence... but of what ?

8 hours ago, dawei said:

What do you make of Not-Two... and then Not-One ?

Hi dawei,

From my recent experience working with the consortium - it is definitely Not-Two leading to Not-One in the processual dynamics of things. Why? As Nothing-Two led Nothing-One we ended up with Nothing. Now we have Nothing much to split hair with.

PyL and PmDa

With 'Not-Two => Not-One' deliberated as such and the consortium ended up with Nothing, this sequence is now thrown up for consideration -  postulated as a reverse sequence: Two <= One <= Nothing (aka The Void).

8 hours ago, dawei said:

... maybe just a reverse sequence... 

Not just maybe, but most likely... without speaking much aloud. Why?

"Reverse sequence spoken is not the eternalness of [reverse sequence]".

So perceived these silently - don't ask anything ~

rgif_2r.gif

Checking earlier messages

giphy.gif

Bullfight or bullsh_t?

th?id=OIP.vfJhbYixUuJUJzSRiMD84QHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

8 hours ago, dawei said:

... but of what ?

th?id=OIP.kPn-qYouOu8MpolvJPZ0QQHaHk&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.w4slNnudMZly-IR0R8ub0gHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

giphy.gif

th?id=OIP.RoyhRtFmM4cyqMnpX9mE6AHaER&pid=15.1&P=0&w=293&h=170

th?id=OIP.7_5TIi9bpVQvSXeDcz2KIAHaJx&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.Oa42dmr18vQx6PgbShTcMwAAAA&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

The consortium is now left with a skeletal C.

th?id=OIP.KY2Z91c06oO7t0F31JsLXgHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.T3u35xC8XW3irPRxtJ2uMQHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...