Sign in to follow this  
Nungali

Its soooo hot ....

4 hours ago, oak said:

you know what "they" say about little raven...?

Hope to buy one soon :)

You daobums are confusing me today.  You hope to buy a little raven soon?  

I vaguely recall trying to use a little raven instead of a jian once...  maybe in a dream, maybe in confusion, not sure...  One thing I'm certain about is,

NEVERMORE!  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

No, not to check my mail.  But I have practiced my Two-sword Tai Chi outdoors on the driveway whenever I can.

Your law is tougher than mine.  Mine states that one cannot wave it around in a threatening manner.  If there is no one around no one would be threatened.

I never did any research on the wooden swords.  I do recall seeing some when I was searching for carbon-steel swords though.  I'm sure places of training use them so they would know where they can be purchased.

I practice with a partner, and the park is the only place where there's enough room for our form.  Obviously we don't wave the swords around in a threatening manner -- every Chen jian move is designed to kill, not threaten. :ph34r::D  But we stay well away from whoever might be disturbed, miles away -- and yet some people will spot you from a distance and complain to the park "authorities"-- that's the only explanation I can think of...

Training places sell bad ones, alas.  I almost made one myself, way better than what they're selling (though not exactly pretty, a bit crude...), but I'm stuck at the level of the guard, I'm no woodworker and have no equipment.  Might experiment with moldable plastic for that.  

• Like 2

Good luck with that.  How about plastic novelty sword?  Or maybe a Tai Chi practice stainless and coat it with black rubber spray?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

You daobums are confusing me today.  You hope to buy a little raven soon?  

I vaguely recall trying to use a little raven instead of a jian once...  maybe in a dream, maybe in confusion, not sure...  One thing I'm certain about is,

NEVERMORE!  

Sorry TM, it wasn't my intention to confuse you, just not to be too specific advertising a product. Some jian experts recommend the wooden jians made by "little raven" saying that they are very well balanced.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, joeblast said:

On Tuesday, in Russia's Yakutia region, temperatures dropped to an unbelievable 84 degrees below zero.
Temperatures are so low that thermometers are freezing and bursting.
For the Yakutians, cold Januarys are normal, so life typically goes on.
But Tuesday's temperatures were so cold, schools were closed and people had been advised to stay indoors.
The government has warned of emergencies at energy plants due to increased loads and warned everyone about the increased danger of fires from indoor heaters.
But for those with jobs to do, it's on with that extra layer, brave the freezing fog and get on with the day.
In the Magadan region, further to the south, it was a little warmer - a balmy 67 degrees below zero. Farther south, in the Krasnoyarsk region, it was a milder minus 40, although with wind chill it felt like 58 degrees below zero.
Even by Siberian standards, this year has been extremely cold, and the bad news is that these extreme temperatures are expected to last until the end of the month.

And this is the local kids going home from school

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oak said:

Sorry TM, it wasn't my intention to confuse you, just not to be too specific advertising a product. Some jian experts recommend the wooden jians made by "little raven" saying that they are very well balanced.

Ah, got it, thanks!  I think we are allowed to advertise here, by the way...  unless I'm confused again. :)   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oak said:

I was almost thinking of drilling a hole or three, strategically sized and positioned, to sink some weights into the handle...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeblast said:

I was almost thinking of drilling a hole or three, strategically sized and positioned, to sink some weights into the handle...

good idea!

19 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I practice with a partner, and the park is the only place where there's enough room for our form.  Obviously we don't wave the swords around in a threatening manner -- every Chen jian move is designed to kill, not threaten. :ph34r::D  But we stay well away from whoever might be disturbed, miles away -- and yet some people will spot you from a distance and complain to the park "authorities"-- that's the only explanation I can think of...

Training places sell bad ones, alas.  I almost made one myself, way better than what they're selling (though not exactly pretty, a bit crude...), but I'm stuck at the level of the guard, I'm no woodworker and have no equipment.  Might experiment with moldable plastic for that.  

3D printer ? 

I lament the closure of  nearly all M. A .  supply shops . I need to buy some new  bokken  and people tell me "Do it on-line " .

Whaaat ?   Buy a training sword without feeling it, checking the grain , looking for knots or ....      they could just send you anything .

How do you 'feel' a product over the internet  ......

:angry:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, joeblast said:

and some other holes to conceal those little throw down smoke bombs     :) 

then you be all Ninja like   .......

tenor.gif?itemid=4589477

35 minutes ago, Nungali said:

3D printer ? 

I lament the closure of  nearly all M. A .  supply shops . I need to buy some new  bokken  and people tell me "Do it on-line " .

Whaaat ?   Buy a training sword without feeling it, checking the grain , looking for knots or ....      they could just send you anything .

How do you 'feel' a product over the internet  ......

:angry:

Exactly.

No, not 3D printer, just InstaMorph -- a very useful thing to have.  I wouldn't make the whole sword out of it, of course.  I have a general aversion to plastic, polyester, etc. used instead of natural materials in everything that existed before plastics, but I don't mind plastic in stuff that came later than plastic.  A plastic smartphone is OK, a plastic computer is fine, but plastic underwear, not so much.  But if it's just a guard, I don't think it's a big deal.  I've run out of InstaMorph (I've made a bunch of weird stuff out of the batch I had, my crowning accomplishment being an electronic car key, believe it or not -- mine got dropped and fell apart, and I managed to repair it for pennies instead of replacing it for hundreds.  Very proud of myself.)   Once I've bought some more, I'll see what I can do for the guard.  

• Like 4

Prime Minister of Sakha Republic, Russia, taking a plunge in -63C (-81F)

And this is the brave American ambassador going native in Moscow:

• Like 4

On 1/22/2018 at 7:48 AM, Taomeow said:

Exactly.

No, not 3D printer, just InstaMorph -- a very useful thing to have.  I wouldn't make the whole sword out of it, of course.  I have a general aversion to plastic, polyester, etc. used instead of natural materials in everything that existed before plastics, but I don't mind plastic in stuff that came later than plastic

Years back , I was friends with a lesbian couple , artists and blacksmiths  (  the 'big toughh one' I did some Aikido with  - she was pretty good ! )  anywayz, they made these amazing swords and weapons , specially designed for women (so they said )   One had an enamelled rose as the guard !  It was mostly for magical use or  SCA  peeps   .....    https://sca.org.au/

Amazing stuff  !  ... and  women who would play martial arts, swords and smelt and work metal  ( and no worries about ..... 'you know '  :wub:   )

They would probably love to work with you on such a project ... but been years since I have seen them  

( One's still has my Susan Wegner  Orisha  Book    :angry:  

Aside ;  Susan worked with the Yoruba  helping to recreate their  original village architecture, shrines and sacred groves with modern  materials

fc9e649d090816e33e5b820154ef205e.jpg

1673.jpg        110cf9233f6fdbdd5dcb10eb799818a1--orisha

.  A plastic smartphone is OK, a plastic computer is fine, but plastic underwear, not so much.  But if it's just a guard, I don't think it's a big deal.  I've run out of InstaMorph (I've made a bunch of weird stuff out of the batch I had, my crowning accomplishment being an electronic car key, believe it or not -- mine got dropped and fell apart, and I managed to repair it for pennies instead of replacing it for hundreds.  Very proud of myself.)   Once I've bought some more, I'll see what I can do for the guard.  

Well done !  I hate this new ' if it broken throw it away and get a new one '  culture.   In the old days of my youth , man would come around to your house in a van to fix TV ... now small cheap one less expensive than van fuel to get to my house ! 

The bottom of my shoes would wear out ... bootmaker put a new sole on .  Now   the tops wear out before the bottom ? 

Nutthin is as good as it used ta be !       Consarn it ! 

297.png

• Like 4

I collected bokken (wooden swords) for awhile, gave most of them to my old dojo.  My favorite wood is hickory, what they've been making axe handles out of for millennia.   For more weight, a couple places make bokken using laminates, thin slices of wood with resin inbetween making for a heavier tougher blades that still feel like wood. 

Yet even cheaper bokken can be nice, if you strip them and oil them up. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

I think marble's idea has merit.  Cover the blades in rubber... should keep the weight to a minimum and would maintain the flexibility while never having an 'exposed blade' for the fussy, complaining onlookers.

• Like 2

What I use for 'rubberies' ;     bamboo inner , electrical conduit pipe over that, and over that, foam hot water pipe insulator .    The conduit guards against the bamboo splitting and piecing the foam outer, the inner bamboo gives more rigidity to the conduit, and the foam outer is so you can whack people really hard with it  .... I mean, so you dont hurt people       :) 

I totally gave up using  metal swords, I am never going to use one in 'real life', to defend . And they illegal. Practising with them just puts me 'off form' .   I would hesitate to   slice a person with metal, but a good  'bok'  on the head or arm is enough , if need be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

I think marble's idea has merit.  Cover the blades in rubber... should keep the weight to a minimum and would maintain the flexibility while never having an 'exposed blade' for the fussy, complaining onlookers.

Yes, possibly -- maybe for another one.  My main practice jian is (nearly) of the Water phase, Metal-to-Water flowing and flexible, her name is Dragon Well, and if I slap rubber (Fire phase) on her face, she will disown me.  

10471308_704818466267474_3977830541081244812_n.jpg

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

*nods* yup

and she should... case closed.

now... about these whiners/complainers....

I'm afraid it's against the law to gut them.   

• Like 1

truck bed liner, or undercoating?  spray on, can keep consistent thickness  (not for the nice one of course!)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Yes, possibly -- maybe for another one.  My main practice jian is (nearly) of the Water phase, Metal-to-Water flowing and flexible, her name is Dragon Well, and if I slap rubber (Fire phase) on her face, she will disown me.  

10471308_704818466267474_3977830541081244812_n.jpg

You know  ... that  photo could pass as a picture from Australia .

I agree about the disowning .  How could you cover that sword in rubber !       If I needed  to modify  a sword for public practice,  it would be made  or bought for that purpose .

But then again, I am assuming the training with your 'real sword'  could be done elsewhere ,  as I am 'space spoilt '  -  have an abundance of space, public,  or remote.  I realise many people dont have that ; an apartment  and parks - thats it .

One fav spot was in our large bamboo grove; it has many paths and sparse and thick areas. Footwork and manoeuvring is crucial, only thrusts and  vertical cuts can be made between the bamboo.  Interesting exercise .

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this