Sulo Eno

Non-Taoists, Non-Buddhists?

Just now, Sulo Eno said:

Cute...

That's what you get for making me google "eschatological" :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sulo Eno said:

Hi, yes. 

Not a "nobody", rather someone who practices a non-Eastern religion (in my case, Catholicism). 

P.S. Just to pre-empt any discussion relevant to "Eastern", I consider monotheistic religions essentially a "Western" concept.

Actually, Daoist philosophy floats well with nearly all religions.  But yes, in your case I can understand keeping the religious aspects out of your conversations.

I'm an Atheist but I won't offer you any guidance on becoming one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stosh said:

Your happy ending...

Good morning Stosh,

Happy ending to this - Sulo Eno's thread, or his...

He is...

1 hour ago, Sulo Eno said:

Cute

When he said...

2 hours ago, Sulo Eno said:

"nice guys finish last"

You are also cute "eschatologically".

I just googled:

Eschatology /ˌɛskəˈtɒlədʒi/ (About this sound listen) is a part of theology concerned with the final events of history, or the ultimate destiny of humanity. This concept is commonly referred to as the "end of the world" or "end times" (Wikipedia)

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

3 hours ago, Bud Jetsun said:

All re-ligions function is to re-link to awareness of the nature of reality

Hi Bud Jetsun,

Yes, but the re-connection to the nature of reality is not re-al at times.

2 hours ago, Sulo Eno said:

Picking labels or clinging to dogmas only further separates a being from the real.  The objective of Catholicism is the same as Taoist objective, and the same as Buddhist objective.

Common objective => goodness.

Labeling and re-labeling = no good.

3 hours ago, Bud Jetsun said:

The only aspects where they seem different is the human manufactured confusion induced unnecessary constructs which exist as obstacles to away from the ability to re-link a being to the nature of reality.

Human manufactured confusion => obstruction, destruction, restriction, seduction, exclusion, occlusion, pollution, rejection, stipulation, limitation, constipation, interruption, cessation, convulsion, contraction, fixation, delusion, constriction... now I am dying of exhaustion.

3 hours ago, Sulo Eno said:

While in these bodies, we lack even the capacity to know dreaming state from waking state, let alone have the ability to comprehend the Oneness that is sometimes labeled God or God(s). 

O my God, I need ventilation - open the windows/doors please.

4 hours ago, Bud Jetsun said:

All a beings choice in beliefs is equally there own choice in manufactured confusion.  When belief (delusion) is traded for appreciating the whole of the real in now (God/Oneness), this indicates the fruit of success for Christian mystics, Catholic mystics, Sufi mystics, Hindi mystics, Buddhist and Taoist mystics alike. 

Very misty. Clear the air please - I need clarity to see the likeness of everyOneness.

3 hours ago, Sulo Eno said:

You are in good company with like-minded compassionate folks who aided my own development to the limits of my choice in mindfulness and appreciation of the universal wisdom shared freely here.

Sulo Eno - what say you?

4 hours ago, Bud Jetsun said:

Unlimited Love - Bud

Thank you for my re-birth, Bro.

- LimA

• Like 1

Dude, the chopped quotes are kind of difficult to follow. But this was just some chatter , I figure heis happy with his faith but likes the FP stuff and can be at ease if he hangs around .Thats all it means. No biggie.

13 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Bud Jetsun,

Yes, but the re-connection to the nature of reality is not re-al at times.

Common objective => goodness.

Labeling and re-labeling = no good.

Human manufactured confusion => obstruction, destruction, restriction, seduction, exclusion, occlusion, pollution, rejection, stipulation, limitation, constipation, interruption, cessation, convulsion, contraction, fixation, delusion, constriction... now I am dying of exhaustion.

O my God, I need ventilation - open the windows/doors please.

Very misty. Clear the air please - I need clarity to see the likeness of everyOneness.

Sulo Eno - what say you?

Thank you for my re-birth, Bro.

- LimA

I'm not sure how to respond, as I don't understand what is being asked (nor asserted). 

12 hours ago, Stosh said:

Dude, the chopped quotes are kind of difficult to follow. But this was just some chatter , I figure heis happy with his faith but likes the FP stuff and can be at ease if he hangs around .Thats all it means. No biggie.

Thanks. More or so less so.

I (and I hope everybody) tries to follow what he believes to be Truth. I don't try to pigeon-hole what I already believe (or want to believe) into something I can't explain or comprehend. I have had as a principle following what I understand as logical. So, I am happy to listen to and discuss with others calmly and rationally. Of course, I arguments have to be sound.

Thanks for your thoughts, Stosh. Best regards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Limahong said:

Good morning Stosh,

Happy ending to this - Sulo Eno's thread, or his...

He is...

When he said...

You are also cute "eschatologically".

I just googled:

Eschatology /ˌɛskəˈtɒlədʒi/ (About this sound listen) is a part of theology concerned with the final events of history, or the ultimate destiny of humanity. This concept is commonly referred to as the "end of the world" or "end times" (Wikipedia)

- LimA

You are addressing me, but I don't understand at all. Sorry about that. Somehow I think you were correcting my usage of "eschatologically" [eschatology], though I don't understand why; there wasn't a misuse on my part. I am familiar with philosophical concepts in the Western tradition, somewhat so in the Eastern.

Thanks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Actually, Daoist philosophy floats well with nearly all religions.  But yes, in your case I can understand keeping the religious aspects out of your conversations.

I'm an Atheist but I won't offer you any guidance on becoming one.

I enjoy discussing religion, so long as people remain calm and reasonable. Taoism in non-exclusive, as I understand (insofar as a Taoist can accept other religious ideas and philosophies). Catholicism (and other monotheistic religions) are exclusive, as they do not allow accepting other religious ideas. The atheist's position, intellectually, is difficult to defend, in my view. That's another post though.

Edited by Sulo Eno
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Hello. Welcome to Dao Bums.

The Taoist that can be named is not the true Taoist.

I'm not sure about Buddhism but I recall Kuan Yin saying something about all paths being void, even the Buddha's. 

I think you are referencing the first lines of the Tao Te Ching. However, Taoists do identify as "Taoist". I think for discussion's sake Taoists or people interested in Taoism try to identify the "Tao". 

I am interested in the Kwan Yin reference for cultural reasons, but of course, this entity is as much an authority to be considered as Jesus Christ someone that a Taoist would accept as a moral authority.

Regards. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sulo Eno said:

I enjoy discussing religion, so long as people remain calm and reasonable. Taoism in non-exclusive, as I understand (insofar as a Taoist can accept other religious ideas and philosophies). Catholicism (and other monotheistic religions) are exclusive, as they do not allow accepting other religious ideas. The atheist's position, from an intellectual position is tough, in my view. That's another post though.

I don't have a problem discussion religions as long as the discussions don't go to the mystical aspects of the religions.

I try hard to be non-judgemental about the religion anyone holds as long as it teaches peace and love.

I do have a problem with the institutions of religion though, as I do with government institutions.  (I am also an Anarchist.)

(My best friend is a non-denominational Christian.)

And you are correct in that Taoism is first a philosophy.  (Yeah, some here would argue with me about this.)  So basically, if the religion teaches a good path for its followers then Taoism is compatible with that religion.  But then, many, if not most, Religious Taoists have Buddhism as the spiritual aspect of their beliefs.  And this is only natural as the two intertwined over 2000 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marblehead said:

I don't have a problem discussion religions as long as the discussions don't go to the mystical aspects of the religions.

I try hard to be non-judgemental about the religion anyone holds as long as it teaches peace and love.

I do have a problem with the institutions of religion though, as I do with government institutions.  (I am also an Anarchist.)

(My best friend is a non-denominational Christian.)

And you are correct in that Taoism is first a philosophy.  (Yeah, some here would argue with me about this.)  So basically, if the religion teaches a good path for its followers then Taoism is compatible with that religion.  But then, many, if not most, Religious Taoists have Buddhism as the spiritual aspect of their beliefs.  And this is only natural as the two intertwined over 2000 years ago. 

I'm not sure what you mean by this: 

"I don't have a problem discussion religions as long as the discussions don't go to the mystical aspects of the religions."

Do you mean you don't have a problem with religious philosophies so long as they don't posit mystical experiences as the basis of understanding or truth?

It's understandable that you don't like religious institutions as an atheist. However, I think they follow naturally from the fact that some people believe Truth to be something objective. Further, they believe there is a source and repository for this Truth and canon of belief. I am not an anarchist, but I do favor limited government. I have read Kropotkin. Do you favor this type of anarchy?

26 minutes ago, Sulo Eno said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this: 

"I don't have a problem discussion religions as long as the discussions don't go to the mystical aspects of the religions."

Do you mean you don't have a problem with religious philosophies so long as they don't posit mystical experiences as the basis of understanding or truth?

Yes.  You expressed it well.

It's understandable that you don't like religious institutions as an atheist. However, I think they follow naturally from the fact that some people believe Truth to be something objective.

Truth can be only objective.  Subjective truths are only opinions - may be objective truth or may not.  I shouldn't speak further to this unless you prompt me.

Further, they believe there is a source and repository for this Truth and canon of belief. I am not an anarchist, but I do favor limited government. I have read Kropotkin. Do you favor this type of anarchy?

I've not read Kropotkin or any other teachers of anarchist philosophy.  My anarchist philosophy is self-grown based on what I have seen in "real" life and have observed what institutions can do to the human species.  I'm not an angry anarchist and I don't promote chaos or doing harm to others (without just cause).

I realize that religious leaders feel they have it right but to me these are only opinions based on their preferences and biases.

*************************************************************************************************

Hi Sulo Eno,

Apology. My preceding post (15 hours ago) was in response to Bud Jetsun's post 20 hours back. But after my introduction, I quoted him erroneously from your post 19 hours back.

My apology to you too Bud Jetsun. My post 15 hours ago was addressed to you.

*************************************************************************************************

20 hours ago, Bud Jetsun said:

You are in good company with like-minded compassionate folks who aided my own development to the limits of my choice in mindfulness and appreciation of the universal wisdom shared freely here. 

Sulo Eno - per the above quote from Bud Jetsun, what have you got to say?

- LimA

Hi Sulo Eno,

Apology. My preceding post (15 hours ago) was in response to Bud Jetsun's post 20 hours back. But after my introduction, I quoted him erroneously from your post 19 hours back.

- LimA

3 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Sulo Eno,

- LimA

If you mean this "You are in good company with like-minded compassionate folks who aided my own development to the limits of my choice in mindfulness and appreciation of the universal wisdom shared freely here."

I'm not sure. 

"You are in good company with like-minded compassionate folks..." Thank you

"...who aided my own development to the limits of my choice in mindfulness and appreciation of the universal wisdom shared freely here." I don't think I understand completely what is meant here. It sounds kind and thoughtful though.

Be assured of no deliberate ill will on my part.

Hi Bud Jetsun,

Well said. I am less than a year with TDB but what you have indicated resonates well with my own thoughts on the 'compassionate folks'.

Thank you TDB.

- LimA

What is to be daoist ? Any dude can pretend to be a master :)

I'm more influenced by daoism than daoist... I think it's important to keep an open spirit and to dig potentially any interesting thing. Including washing dishes !

Welcome dude :D

4 minutes ago, CloudHands said:

What is to be daoist ? Any dude can pretend to be a master :)

I'm more influenced by daoism than daoist... I think it's important to keep an open spirit and to dig potentially any interesting thing. Including washing dishes !

Welcome dude :D

Thanks. 

To my way of thinking a Taoist is one who practices Taoism. One need not be a master. I agree about being open, but in my experience, too many people are uncritical. We still have to form judgements relative to ideas. Is an idea plausible? On what basis is something said? By what authority?

Regards.

10 minutes ago, Sulo Eno said:

Thanks. 

To my way of thinking a Taoist is one who practices Taoism. One need not be a master. I agree about being open, but in my experience, too many people are uncritical. We still have to form judgements relative to ideas. Is an idea plausible? On what basis is something said? By what authority?

Regards.

Yes, same sound here.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:14 AM, Marblehead said:

There are some of those here.  I don't know if they will speak up though.

I could be.  I think?  Maybe? I don't know. O well, it doesn't matter anyway. It's only a label. :-)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sulo Eno said:

Somehow I think you were correcting my usage of "eschatologically" [eschatology], though I don't understand why; there wasn't a misuse on my part.

Hi Sulo Eno,

I will never correct anyone at TDB. Why? I am a nobody.

I learn of 'eschatology' through you. It is not a common word. So I quoted Wikipedia for sharing with others at large. Apparently I had made a wrong move.

- LimA

22 hours ago, Sulo Eno said:

While I appreciate the thought you have given this, I respectfully disagree with your assessment on the nature and function of religion (especially mine). However, I sincerely thank you for the welcoming message. Best regards.

Does your religion involve a single omnipotent God who is all things in all places at all times? 

Does it mention the kingdom of God is inside you, recognizing you are also inherently an aspect of the same omnipotent presence? 

The rest is filler. 

Unlimited Love, 

-Bud

2 hours ago, Rickie said:

I could be.  I think?  Maybe? I don't know. O well, it doesn't matter anyway. It's only a label. :-)

Ha ha...

Isn't this something you would know about yourself? Is it how you would label yourself anyway?