Jakara

Is KunLun Bogus?

That's a comfortable little cliche you've set up in your head.

del. B)

Edited by rain

"Make a chi ball between your palms and while you can feel the magnetic field ask yourself if you think the energy is a typical kind of magnetic energy."

A "chi ball"? What is this, Dragonball Z? It's not magnetic energy, it's simply a reaction of your circulatory system by putting your attention there.

Hey Buddy,

Before my first workshop with Max I might agree with you but had too many experiences to discount what they say about magnetic energy.

Especically when you see students with no experience with qigong having experiences from studying kunlun it makes me think it is at least worth looking into.

In some ways, Taoists who have been around for along time remind me of scientists who refuse to consider or even look at new data. Like they did these tests on the Sphnix for water damage and now think it is something like over 15,000 years old but am sure you get scientists who subscribe to civilazation only being 6000 years old or whatever who just hear that and go. "BS! No chance of being true. This is what life is! Yaa,yaa,ya,yaa".

Not saying your views aren't valid but they may not include the totality of the picture.

That's a comfortable little cliche you've set up in your head.

Was just a joke :)

Guest winpro07

CHI TibetKiDo --Gets better as it progesses

KI AiKi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtdo_pOwuHI&NR=1

Watch the last few clips on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZuxfrIjRlI...feature=related

"Make a chi ball between your palms and while you can feel the magnetic field ask yourself if you think the energy is a typical kind of magnetic energy."

A "chi ball"? What is this, Dragonball Z? It's not magnetic energy, it's simply a reaction of your circulatory system by putting your attention there.

Edited by winpro07

From Wikipedia:

Main article: Magnetic field

The phenomenon of magnetism is "mediated" by the magnetic field -- i.e., an electric current or magnetic dipole creates a magnetic field, and that field, in turn, imparts magnetic forces on other particles that are in the fields.

To an excellent approximation (but ignoring some quantum effects---see quantum electrodynamics), Maxwell's equations (which simplify to the Biot-Savart law in the case of steady currents) describe the origin and behavior of the fields that govern these forces. Therefore magnetism is seen whenever electrically charged particles are in motion---for example, from movement of electrons in an electric current, or in certain cases from the orbital motion of electrons around an atom's nucleus. They also arise from "intrinsic" magnetic dipoles arising from quantum effects, i.e. from quantum-mechanical spin.

The same situations which create magnetic fields (charge moving in a current or in an atom, and intrinsic magnetic dipoles) are also the situations in which a magnetic field has an effect, creating a force. Following is the formula for moving charge; for the forces on an intrinsic dipole, see magnetic dipole.

When a charged particle moves through a magnetic field B, it feels a force F given by the cross product:

\vec{F} = q \vec{v} \times \vec{B}

where q\, is the electric charge of the particle, \vec{v} \, is the velocity vector of the particle, and \vec{B} \, is the magnetic field. Because this is a cross product, the force is perpendicular to both the motion of the particle and the magnetic field. It follows that the magnetic force does no work on the particle; it may change the direction of the particle's movement, but it cannot cause it to speed up or slow down. The magnitude of the force is

where \theta \, is the angle between the \vec{v} \, and \vec{B} \, vectors.

One tool for determining the direction of the velocity vector of a moving charge, the magnetic field, and the force exerted is labeling the index finger "V", the middle finger "B", and the thumb "F" with your right hand. When making a gun-like configuration (with the middle finger crossing under the index finger), the fingers represent the velocity vector, magnetic field vector, and force vector, respectively. See also right hand rule.

Lenz's law gives the direction of the induced electromotive force (emf) and current resulting from electromagnetic induction. German physicist Heinrich Lenz formulated it in 1834.

Edited by Buddy

OK. Let's not call it a "chi ball," if that trips you up. I personally don't think it is an accurate description of the energy I am discussing anyway. It is just a term that others here have used.

Q: So, how far would you say this "circulatory" energy can be felt?

Six inches? Twelve? One hundred feet? Unlimited?

A: All of the above.

Skepticism is good but it is clear that there are levels of Nei Gung that you and Starjumper have yet to experience.

Neither of you seem to be able to speak to the application of nei gung.

If I were to ask you to explain to me the process by which the "sky eye" or "wisdom eye" is opened and what kind of experiences I should expect, I don't think that either of you could give me an educated answer.

I could actually put together a list of questions for you guys that would quickly determine your level of aptitude and would sufficiently end this.

If you look back, someone named Satori had posed a few questions to Starjumper that were clearly out of his range of experience and he simply glazed over them. Instead he continued to respond with more name calling and slander, but nothing of substance.

Well,

You nothing about my training and just giving some buzzwords that have meaning to your group is meaningless. I could do the same and you wouldn't be able to answer. One can't prove a negative. Tell you what, let me feel your "circulatory energy" now. And when I report back that I felt nothing you'll just respond with some nonsense like I'm not advanced enough. I can readily show you the application of my neigong. It would hurt though.

Cam,

Magnetic energy is a particular thing. What you feel in your body is not that.

winpro,

Since you like all that other fake stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSvNpfZSz4E...?showtopic=1964

I can't say I know at this point because I had done qigong for quite awhile before I did a Max workshop. I took classes with some good qigong teachers. The experiences I had and other students were having was not even close to what people were experiencing at Max's workshop.

I will give you an example. The friday night lecture for the first LA workshop a woman who from what I could gather had little to no experience with energy basically "accidently" walked into the bookstore Max was speaking at. After the Max talk I spoke with her for a minute and she said she was just spontaneously drawn to going inside while walking by, met Max, then decided she would do the workshop.

I saw the woman again with Trunk(also posts here) right after the first day with Max and she and others were having experiences of feeling pulled into the Earth. I dont' know how to describe it. Like a gravitional force is pulling you into the Earth and the ground feels like it is shaking.

I felt this ground shaking feeling for atleast the first month after the workshop and it still comes up at times. Is that connected to the magnetci energy from Kunlun, well obviously it is connected to kunlun in some way. I did standing meditation for years and aikido and nothing even close to that. Maybe that is just the first stage of you magnetic energy awakening and people were having that experience from the first day.

I haven't bee thrown without touch like Kan or stuck to a fence but maybe those type of things happen when your practice gets more developed.

Anyway, I am just a beginner and Buddy, Starjumper and othershave been at this for decades. So I feel silly even debating this with you guys. If Mantra wants to go over this stuff with you fine but I'll just try to train for a few years before getting into any these debates I really dont' know enough about yet to even be in.

Guest winpro07

LoL...Thank you for the definition!

The Haman body and Earth have the same Gauss range.

CYCLIC DECLINE OF OUR GEOMAGNETIC FIELD

At first I questioned whether their thesis that the earth has lost 90% of its magnetic field over the last 4,000 years was correct. I then did an exhaustive study on previous research and discovered three facts which prove there has been a decrease in the earth's magnetic field. First, the U.S. Geological Survey has kept records of the earth's magnetic field for the last 160 years, and it shows a steady decline of 5% per 100 years. Interestingly enough, when the planets were aligned January 23, 1997, we got a little increase; it went up 20% from .4 gauss to .5 gauss. When they go out of alignment, the magnetic field goes back down. But overall there has been a steady decline. Secondly, scientists have determined that there has been an actual 90% loss by taking samples of lava flows from volcanos at different times in the earth's history and studying the alignment of the little magnetite crystals in the lava. The more they are aligned, the greater the magnetic field was. This is called hysteresis and is a well known procedure used by geologists to determine the age of rocks. The third method is deep sea core samplings of the alluvial fans of rivers which bring up a cross section of the layers of sediment. These show that we have 500,000 year cycles in the magnetic field of the earth. We start out below zero, increase to a maximum, and decrease again. They found only 4.5 million years of cycles, and every 500,000 years, there was a layer of fossils, which appears when there was a reversal of the magnetic field. These 500,000 year cycles are coincidental with the geological ages of the earth. Organisms cannot live without their supportive magnetic field. Dr. Robert O. Becker was part of the scientific group that evaluated this data. In his book Cross Currents, he goes into it in quite a lot of detail. When you put this information together with the physiological effects suffered by cosmonauts when they were outside the earth's magnetic field for extended periods, we begin to realize the effects. Early cosmonauts lost 80% of their bone density. Spacecraft now have magnetic generators to eliminate these problems.

EFFECTS OF ZERO MAGNETIC FIELD

Valerie Hunt, Ph.D., who did research on energy fields at the University of California, Los Angeles, investigated this further. She had a "mu" cage built that she could put subjects in for observation. Mu metal will cancel out magnetic fields of the magnitude of the earth's magnetic field and the electromagnetic pollution which surrounds us. Two individuals were placed in the room and connected with EEG, EMG and ECG devices to measure effects on the body in the absence of environmental magnetic fields. To her amazement, in just a few minutes they began to sob and said they felt like they were falling apart emotionally. In a few more minutes, they were beginning to lose coordination and muscle control, and she had to pull them out to avoid affecting the heart muscle. All this in just a matter of minutes! So we are going to have a problem coming with the reduction of our environmental magnetism. In September, 1996, NASA announced that within the next 800 years, we will have no more magnetic field.

WHY ARE WE LOSING OUR MAGNETIC FIELD?

We need to understand why we are losing the magnetic field of the earth. As the earth spins, there is a net flow of lava underneath the earth in the opposite direction to the spin because of the gravitational pull of the core which is solid. This creates the magnetic field of the earth because the lava is super heated, and it is ionic - it is like a bunch of electrons flowing in a loop in a wire. When there are electrons flowing in a loop, there is always a magnetic field. Lava is congealing on the underside of the earth's crust as it is cooling. It is a well-documented scientific fact that the earth's crust is cooling. The more the crust of the earth cools, the greater the diversion of magnetic field beneath the crust. You have seen the domed cities in "Star Wars" movies. We will have to have artificial magnetic fields and total environments to maintain life on this planet when we lose our magnetic field in the future. Eventually, the sun's radiation will strike the earth's crust with such force, it will warm it up again. When it gets hot enough to melt the inside of the crust, a magnetic field will rebuild, and life can begin to form again.

MAGNETIC FIELDS AFFECT LIVING TISSUES

Magnetic fields affect every atom in your body. The electrons in the atom orbit around the nucleus. By increasing the magnetic field, the charge on the atom will increase momentarily, the velocity of the orbiting electrons increases, and the valence electrons begin to jump energy orbits. The atom begins to vibrate at a higher intensity, and in Physics that is called precession. Precession means wobble and is simply increased molecular action caused by increased magnetic field. This creates a conical orbit on some of the electrons and bipolarization of some atoms due to dimagnetism. The net result of this increased molecular activity is enhanced electron transfer, which of course is the basis of every chemical reaction in your body. This is why a decreased magnetic field leads to less molecular activity and decrease in the enzymes in the body. To summarize: Enhanced magnetic field brings increased speed of electrons and protons, which increases molecular activity, resulting in more efficient chemical reactions, providing a basic energy catalyst for improving body function.

BODY ELECTRICITY

There are really two electrical systems in the body. The motor and sensory nervous system is the one which we are all familiar with. The one that is not so familiar is the vitality or direct current system. Dr. Becker made this discovery and learned that the electricity in this vitality system travels from the brain down the myelin sheath on the outside of the nerve rather than down the axon in the middle of the nerve. He also discovered that the electricity returns by way of the fascia (connective tissue) back to the dura mater of the spinal cord and from there back to the brain. These return currents are called meridians in eastern cultures. Scar tissue or misalignment of the vertebrae can cause interruption of this current flow because of the pressure they exert on this tissue which is semiconducting and very sensitive to pressure. Exercise is very good because it allows more electricity to flow to the periphery.

MAGNETIC RESONANCE

The vitality system which has a pulsed DC field causes a magnetic resonance process to happen in the body which restores energy. Every atom in your body has its own resonance frequency. That is how, by using a spectroscope, we determine what kind of an atom it is. If you pulse at the same frequency as a harmonic of the atom's frequency, you will get the same effect as pushing a child in a swing. When you push a swing at just the right point, you can get it to go higher and higher with very little effort. That is basically what magnetic resonance is doing in your body. This happens primarily during sleep, which is what the sleep cycle is all about. The brain's pulsed frequency starts out about 7.5 hertz and goes down to 1.2 to 2 hertz and back up again. This happens every 90 to 110 minutes. The purpose of it is to resonate all the different organs in the body. Every organ in your body has a different but specific resonance frequency which is a harmonic of all the frequencies of all the elements (atoms) that make that organ. The organ resonance frequency will vary at times according to what you have eaten and how fatigued or depleted you are.

From Wikipedia:

Main article: Magnetic field

The phenomenon of magnetism is "mediated" by the magnetic field -- i.e., an electric current or magnetic dipole creates a magnetic field, and that field, in turn, imparts magnetic forces on other particles that are in the fields.

To an excellent approximation (but ignoring some quantum effects---see quantum electrodynamics), Maxwell's equations (which simplify to the Biot-Savart law in the case of steady currents) describe the origin and behavior of the fields that govern these forces. Therefore magnetism is seen whenever electrically charged particles are in motion---for example, from movement of electrons in an electric current, or in certain cases from the orbital motion of electrons around an atom's nucleus. They also arise from "intrinsic" magnetic dipoles arising from quantum effects, i.e. from quantum-mechanical spin.

The same situations which create magnetic fields (charge moving in a current or in an atom, and intrinsic magnetic dipoles) are also the situations in which a magnetic field has an effect, creating a force. Following is the formula for moving charge; for the forces on an intrinsic dipole, see magnetic dipole.

When a charged particle moves through a magnetic field B, it feels a force F given by the cross product:

\vec{F} = q \vec{v} \times \vec{B}

where q\, is the electric charge of the particle, \vec{v} \, is the velocity vector of the particle, and \vec{B} \, is the magnetic field. Because this is a cross product, the force is perpendicular to both the motion of the particle and the magnetic field. It follows that the magnetic force does no work on the particle; it may change the direction of the particle's movement, but it cannot cause it to speed up or slow down. The magnitude of the force is

where \theta \, is the angle between the \vec{v} \, and \vec{B} \, vectors.

One tool for determining the direction of the velocity vector of a moving charge, the magnetic field, and the force exerted is labeling the index finger "V", the middle finger "B", and the thumb "F" with your right hand. When making a gun-like configuration (with the middle finger crossing under the index finger), the fingers represent the velocity vector, magnetic field vector, and force vector, respectively. See also right hand rule.

Lenz's law gives the direction of the induced electromotive force (emf) and current resulting from electromagnetic induction. German physicist Heinrich Lenz formulated it in 1834.

Edited by winpro07

Uh...ok. That's from the CHO of Canada? It has no bearing on the feeling you get from putting your awareness in your hands. Mantra claimed that this feeling can be felt from an unlimited distance....I'm waiting.

Buddy, why not show us all how truly open minded you are and come to the Phoenix workshop this weekend. I think You, Mantra, Max etc would probably clear up in a couple minutes in person what might take weeks of posting time to accomplish.

The weather here is awesome now. So if you really dislike it you could always just enjoy the weather and do some hiking :)

Guest winpro07

Insensitivity is no badge of merit. Something even more subtle than the magnetic field of your own body is love. limiting the sense love to result of a chemical process hammers the last nail in your cynical coffin of disbelief -God, and love being synonymous of course!

Uh...ok. That's from the CHO of Canada? It has no bearing on the feeling you get from putting your awareness in your hands. Mantra claimed that this feeling can be felt from an unlimited distance....I'm waiting.

Edited by cat

Cam,

Send me the money and I'm there in a heartbeat.

"Insensativity is no badge of merit. Something even more subtle than the magnetic field of your own body is love. limiting the sense love to result of a chemical process hammers the last nail in your synical coffin of disbelief -God, and love being synonimous of course!"

What? I'd love to feel this alleged power.

Here's another fine example of this subtle power. Things don't get going until about 2:00 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUiPCbz5nGM...feature=related

Here's what happens when he offers a challenge to real martial arts. Not pretty.

Nah never mind.

Well,

You nothing about my training and just giving some buzzwords that have meaning to your group is meaningless. I could do the same and you wouldn't be able to answer. One can't prove a negative. Tell you what, let me feel your "circulatory energy" now. And when I report back that I felt nothing you'll just respond with some nonsense like I'm not advanced enough. I can readily show you the application of my neigong. It would hurt though.

Two things Buddy:

One, our nervous systems are not connected yet. That that is the prerequisite.

Two, the energy we send is blissful and gives you a rush.

Why would yours hurt?

Cam,

"Insensativity is no badge of merit. Something even more subtle than the magnetic field of your own body is love. limiting the sense love to result of a chemical process hammers the last nail in your synical coffin of disbelief -God, and love being synonimous of course!"

Here's another fine example of this subtle power. Things don't get going until about 2:00 in.

Here's what happens when he offers a challenge to real martial arts. Not pretty.

Nah never mind.

I am a poor student trying to get a career started Buddy. Would help you out if I could though.

"One, our nervous systems are not connected yet. That that is the prerequisite."

Of course it is. It's always something. :rolleyes:

"Why would yours hurt?"

Because it's gongfu.

Cam, you're a good guy with a good heart. I wish you only the best.

Edited by Buddy

Guest winpro07

"Alleged" implies a lack of experience. I completely understand your disbelief. I spent many years proving it to my self. For a long time proof came mostly from outside my self by example of others. Even after hundreds of example.. must admit even now mind from one source or another can still dismay, But to deny the greater potential of others is to deny the same potential for our self. This is a very dangerous cycle to be caught in.

Cam,

Nah never mind.

Edited by winpro07

No, alleged means here I doubt its existence. You posted that alleged lama doing his empty force stuff as some sort of example. It's not, it's nonsense. Now you run the risk of having anyone reading this a equating Max Christiansen with that.

I'm happy that all of you dig his stuff. But understand that not everyone's going to swallow it on your say so.

Guest winpro07

Hve you had any experience yet?

No, alleged means here I doubt its existence. You posted that alleged lama doing his empty force stuff as some sort of example. It's not, it's nonsense. Now you run the risk of having anyone reading this a equating Max Christiansen with that.

I'm happy that all of you dig his stuff. But understand that not everyone's going to swallow it on your say so.

I understand where you are coming from Buddy.

I don't think Max really pushes the martial aspect of kunlun or whatever we are calling much at all but your skepticism doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I think it's fair to say the only way you would "buy" that sort of stuff would be to experience it youself. Which you need to do a workshop, study with Max etc to do.

Even then, there aren't any guarantees you would feel anything. It's not like everyone doing kunlun workshops is getting thrown from across the room.

Your position is to be expected. If I showed the clip of Max throwing Kan without touch to MMA guys or IMA guys like on Empty Flower Forum my guess is most all of them would think it was total bs.

I am just interested enough in the practices Max teaches and other things I have experienced since studying with Max that this no touch throwing with energy issue is just really way down on the list of things that I care about or focusing on.

I do Aikido with a Japanese Shihan who throws people physically backed by lots of power. My guess is that my martial focus will be more on the technical aspects of MA like you focus on.

But if I get to the point where I am throwing or being thrown with energy will let you know :)

Guest winpro07

Quote Buddy: "Cam,Magnetic energy is a particular thing. What you feel in your body is not that."

Notice below you say 'Doubt" and not disbelieve. Without the direct challenge above, or your potential to understand we would say nothing.

All responses have been for the assertion of the existence of chi, or other energies. as regards your doubt.

Edited by winpro07

At last someone finally replying to the questions originally asked. Thanks Mantra for your input.

Regarding the money for the practice, I guess thats up to the person who is paying to decide, if they want to spend $300 and they have a good time then thats up to them. I have objections but they are from opinion and not fact so I won't state them any further on the subject of money.

Ive not heard of kunlun parctice (ive heard of the mountain range) or red phoenix systems before, though that may only point out my lack of knowledge. I find it hard to believe that two sects had 2 halves to the teaching and didn't unite it because they didn't get along. Which sect was at the Kunlun mountain range?

Alternative ways to learn real pratice aren't the issue here. Im not comparing this system to any other, just comparing what is being claimed to what we know to be true from scientific investigation and appication.

Fair enough if the bliss feeling is a by-product and the attachment is discouraged it seems a little more taoist/buddhist. Perhaps that point should be re-iterated.

There are many way to measure a magnetic field. Have the Chinese government used this supposed device to measure the "magnetic energy"? A hall probe is very sensitive and also small, it is ideal, it will measure any type of magnetic field. They are also cheap and/or easy to build to do a simple test with.

Im not going to make qi-balls in my hands, that sounds a little ridiculous. I can however feel qi flow through my whole body whilst doing qi-gong, im familiar with the feeling, but I don't pretend that its "magnetic energy". Saying its magnetic energy is not true. Why not simply leave it as "Qi"? It doesn't require scientific terminology.

With regards to black holes. Scientific American is hardly a reliable source of scientific information, it, like new scientist are entertainment magazines based (and sometimes very loosely) on sceince and theories of scientists which have yet to be validated.

You can't pull power from a vacuum, by definition a vacuum contains nothing, its not a matter of opinion its a matter of fact.

The effects of "energy transfer" can be explained by psychology, so I won't argue this point any longer, it could be psychology, it could be real energy, who knows. No detectors can detect this supposed energy though.

Zero point energy? I think sci-fi has slipped in here somewhere. There is currently no techniques to extract such a thing, if it even exists, and if it did exist, we are talking absolutely negligible amounts of energy here, i mean really, less energy than a single photon has. You'd get more energy inhailing a few atoms of oxygen.

Black holes are the densest materials in the universe, they are pretty far from being a vacuum, completely opposite. How do you get energy from a black hole? You can't, unless you accrete matter onto it from a nearby star or object, but even that is the energy stored in the matter of the star, not energy from the black hole itself.

It seems to me that one of two things has happened. Either some clown has read a few abstract articles from Scientific American, talked to Max about how the it could be seen as similar to his techniques and Max unwittingly bought it and is now repeating it - I assume Max isn't a scientist and therefore wouldn't know better.

Or Max himself is simply reading sketchy stuff, likening it to practices and saying this is how science explains it.

Either way the scientific statements being made are completely incorrect.

If the techniques work, thats great, why make false claims about it with pseudo science? Its simply not required and puts the reliability of the source (in this case Max) into question.

"Quote Buddy: "Make a chi ball between your palms and while you can feel the magnetic field ask yourself if you think the energy is a typical kind of magnetic energy."

Not my quote.

"Notice below you say 'Doubt" and not disbelieve. Without the direct challenge above, or your potential to understand we would say nothing."

We? Is this the Galactic We?

"All responses have been for the assertion of the existence of chi, or other energies. as regards your doubt."

Well, since it requires for our "nervous systems to be aligned", looks like I'm SOL, huh? So far it's been nothing but assertions and platitudes.