Jetsun

Is the USA now a rogue state?

25 minutes ago, Brian said:

Pardon my feet...

IMG_20170611_193928354_HDR.thumb.jpg.979dca8fd2d4c7f2d7c4d1fcb22e5dc7.jpg

Daaamn...  And here I am stuck indoors between my taiji sword and my computer, periodically dropping one like a hot potato  to grab the other, then vice versa.  Whereas it's mid-June and I haven't taken a swim in the ocean yet and I should have started six weeks ago as I usually do.  But this time around the water is 60 degrees instead of the seasonally sensible 70 and I ain't no Wim Hof.  I think I'm being cheated out of my warming somehow.  I blame Trump and Putin.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ralis said:

All of you must have enormous amounts of free time. However, I am spending my time outside in the beautiful high desert mountain scenery and fresh air. 

Anywhere near Sedona, AZ?

4 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Anywhere near Sedona, AZ?

Santa Fe NM. Sedona is around an 8 hour drive from here and is far too New Age for me.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 3:26 PM, Brian said:

Heck! CRISPR is far more troubling.

Yup, the onward descent of Mad Scientists here continues unabated:

Forget GMOs. The next big battle is over genetically ‘edited’ foods

this corn is a revolution: It will probably be the first plant to market developed through the cutting-edge genome-editing technique called CRISPR-Cas.

Wary of that, DuPont Pioneer, which is developing a strain of drought-resistant waxy corn, is proactively neutralizing skeptical consumers — years before these crops will even be available. The company recently began hosting CRISPR focus groups and launched a website on the technique, complete with animated videos.

But with CRISPR — a breakthrough gene-editing tool — the field gets a chance at its first real do-over.

Unlike conventional genetic modification, CRISPR works directly on the DNA of the plant or animal being bred. While GMOs, as we have traditionally known them, involve inserting target DNA from a different species, CRISPR can directly “edit” an organism’s DNA for a result that falls within the genetic diversity of that animal or plant.

The Agriculture Department has indicated that it does not intend to regulate the CRISPR-edited corn because its creation does not involve any plant pests' genetic materials.

doc.jpgcientificossss.jpgF57BG87GTGCRAT5.MEDIUM.jpg

Gee, whatever could go wrong next???

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

The Guppy

by Ogden Nash

Whales have calves,
Cats have kittens,
Bears have cubs,
Bats have bittens,
Swans have cygnets,
Seals have puppies,
But guppies just have little guppies.

To which I would add, monsters just have bigger monsters. 

dot.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gendao said:

Yup, the onward descent of Mad Scientists here continues unabated:

doc.jpgcientificossss.jpgF57BG87GTGCRAT5.MEDIUM.jpg

Gee, whatever could go wrong next???

Indeed, technology run amok in the form of wholesale genetic engineering of foodstuffs is quite frightening.  I was really thinking, though, about genetic engineering of entire species to provide a government-controlled reproductive "switch" to allow selective population management.  For... ummmmm... fighting the Zika virus for the good of humanity.  I mean, no one would EVER consider using it on people.

Would they?

:ph34r:

http://www.gomindsight.com/blog/the-new-strategy-to-stop-the-zika-virus-gene-drives-and-crispr-technology/

Edited by Brian
Forgot to include the link
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, WuDao said:

'/2

By popular demand reposting what that half and half post was about.

Spoiler

xjgep9j4il3z.thumb.jpg.cd7aa414e6d7ec218d40e015eb5d1ad9.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I still have no idea.

It looks worse than what it is.   Not what it might have been if someone took a pic inside one of those experimental genetics facilities that abound around these parts but are not all that penetrable to picture-taking outsiders.  I.e. not a human-cat heterochimera.  It's just a cat who stole a human jaw and brought it to his owner as a gift. 

• Like 2

On 06/12/2017 at 8:15 PM, Brian said:

Pardon my feet...

IMG_20170611_193928354_HDR.thumb.jpg.979dca8fd2d4c7f2d7c4d1fcb22e5dc7.jpg

Are you on our patio?

20170609_130238.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WuDao said:

Are you on our patio?

20170609_130238.jpg

Yes!  I am.  Bring me a beer, would you?

Actually, I was sitting on the front steps.

The patio in the back (and the sidewalk around the side) are very similar, though.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brian said:

Yes!  I am.  Bring me a beer, would you?

Actually, I was sitting on the front steps.

The patio in the back (and the sidewalk around the side) are very similar, though.

Outta beer...but do have some 18yo Chivas.. :rolleyes:

Our steps, front landings & retaining walls are of the same large stone; we just finished building the patio. All stones from our mountain; lotta work to haul & build by hand. Your grass looks better than our new lawn, which 2wks ago was mud.:lol:

• Like 1

So this shot shows part of the back patio and wall, taken out an upstairs bathroom window (the one over the kitchen door which is visible in other photos I've posted looking down from the backyard):

IMG_20170615_191401609.thumb.jpg.52dd8e3da77f844f76a8ba364bc989ee.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Brian said:

So this shot shows part of the back patio and wall, taken out an upstairs bathroom window (the one over the kitchen door which is visible in other photos I've posted looking down from the backyard):

Very nice! There's some big heavy stones in there. Did you build this, Brian? Here's a pic leading to our front door off to the left.. we live pretty small & simple, just a cabin off-grid, peaceful. (-:

20170615_165203.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WuDao said:

Very nice! There's some big heavy stones in there. Did you build this, Brian? Here's a pic leading to our front door off to the left.. we live pretty small & simple, just a cabin off-grid, peaceful. (-:

20170615_165203.jpg

How beautiful!

No, we bought the place about 20 months ago and the stonework was already there.  They aren't as thick as what you are using, though!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WuDao said:

just a cabin off-grid

Could you elaborate?  Off grid as in, no electricity/running water/sewage, fully autonomous?  Or did you mean something else?

20 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Could you elaborate?  Off grid as in, no electricity/running water/sewage, fully autonomous?  Or did you mean something else?

Two years ago, when I first met Tom, he'd lived up here for 8 yrs with no electricity/water/sewage. First years he built a 16x20 cabin, by hand, by himself. Woodstove heat, propane cooktop. Hauled general use water from a nearby lake in barrels, gathered rainwater, filled drinking water jugs at friends. That was our life, first year. (-: Then we married and decided to make this our home forever, so we'd need it easier soon (we're both in our 60s) so March last year we had a well drilled (200' through solid granite) and a septic system installed (the scars are almost grown back in with wildflowers!) and installed a solar system. Yay! Also built an addition, with a bathroom & bedroom, by hand, together.

Sorry such a long answer. We're still off-grid, closest neighbour half mile away, have to plow our way out in winter & harvest, cut, split 7 cord of wood for winter - but those last two things we can hire out when we're old & feeble. :lol:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Just now, from the reverse angle:

IMG_20170615_211533149.thumb.jpg.dc6ab71d4c8cc27140b5736218f01a20.jpg

• Like 3

Very pretty! Our back yard is still construction zone, lol