roger

you are not your body

Indeed, he clung to celestial spheres but correctly abandoned geocentrism. Enter, stage right: Galileo, Kepler, Brahe, Newton, et al. "On the shoulders of giants" and all that.

There are some issues with the "local ether" theories but I totally agree that we tossed out the idea of ether prematurely. That did accelerate the formulation of Relativity but I think we are now having to take a step back towards more classical concepts while simultaneously moving into increasingly non-classical arenas.

I fully agree to this. I am of the opinion that we even need to embrace a relative geocentrism, eventually.

Keep in mind that even the idea of the Earth and the other planets moving on (near) circles around the Sun only holds true as long as we think of the Sun as resting in space, which today we know him not to be. Rather, he is orbiting the galactic centre, taking the planets with him; the galaxy has its own movement within its cluster, which in turn moves within the super-cluster, and so on.

What curve the Earth really follows if we add up all her movements relative to her different frames of reference is something nobody can tell today.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 2

Rather than thinking in absolutes, we should ask in what regards the geocentric view is valid (still or again). Even the tensor equations of Special Relativity can be solved for a static Earth.

Indeed, Special Relativity may provide us with another hint, as it allows for objects to be at rest relative to a warp bubble around them, while moving at tremendous speed relative to external objects.

I am quite sure that we will be able to connect the dots, eventually...

• Like 2

There is no such thing as the theory of relativity.

I think you might consider re-wording this statement.  There is a theory.  It has proven valid in the macro universe.

Perhaps you just don't accept it.  Most people who understand somewhat of it accept it.

But then. if the world is flat then the theory of relativity not only would be wrong but it wouldn't even apply.

Now, where did my flat moon go?

I fully agree to this. I am of the opinion that we even need to embrace a relative geocentrism, eventually.

Keep in mind that even the idea of the Earth and the other planets moving on (near) circles around the Sun only holds true as long as we think of the Sun as resting in space, which today we know him not to be. Rather, he is orbiting the galactic centre, taking the planets with him; the galaxy has its own movement within its cluster, which in turn moves within the super-cluster, and so on.

What curve the Earth really follows if we add up all her movements relative to her different frames of reference is something nobody can tell today.

There is great value in using the simplest appropriate model.
  • Like 1

No, actually I was lying in bed thinking of Robert Frost. (His poem, here: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/resources/learning/core-poems/detail/44272) 

Your post reminded me of a Taoist teacher I took some workshops from years ago who claimed that he was sometimes "two places at once."  I´m a big believer in impossible sounding things, so I didn´t even blink when he started to go on about "bilocation."  Who knows what possibilities open up when we really get, on a cellular level, that who we are is not limited to our physical bodies? 

It´s one thing to talk about whether or not we are only our bodies; quite another to have experiences that expand our notions of who we think we are.  I´d like to discover for myself whether or not bilocation is possible.  As fun as it is to debate, at some point ya gotta sit down and breathe.  Or at least I do.

In the meantime though, I offer this link about the quantum possibilities of being in two places at once: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/einstein-was-right-you-can-be-in-two-places-at-once-2162648.html

I cannot deny this possibility.  Yeah, I know, that's not normal for me.  It's more a mind game than anything else.  Our body (the physical essence) is in only one place.  However, our mind can have us in another location and we will feel the same emotions we would as if we were actually physically in that other place.

I would relate this experience to our personal Chi (Spirit) which is, while we are alive, beyond physical materialism.

Potent stuff... it reminds me of a conversation I had with a fellow student on the final night of a retreat.  We randomly met down at the hotel bar where we'd been staying and started sharing some of our more intense experiences.   He shared one where he woke in the middle of the night, to see Master, sitting on the back of one of the chairs in his room, observing\working on him while he slept.

As Marbles worded so well, the mind can have a full experience that is not centered on the body. 

In simplest terms for me... Body is localized mind... mind is somewhat localized spirit.  Spirit is non local field of awareness.

My essential nature is comprised of all of these, in a fluid manner. 

It refers back to what I call The Spiral Path.  It is the curving line represented on the yin yang symbol and all manifestations of form occupy the line, not the white nor black... interacting with it is like surfing the waves\boundaries of the various energies of the body\mind relationship.  

Through my experiences, my self assessment of my essential nature of my self... lately, is that of a field of awareness...

In my rather crude viking-like methods, stumbly as they are, I experience and would describe my essential nature as a multi-level field of awareness of varying frequencies, vibrations and resonances that reconciles into that wonderful childlike triangle of spirit mind and body.

Spirit, to me recently, is a field of awareness that is endlessly vast and completely intimate. 

So vast numbers and words are not accurate to describe it... so vast it requires other dimensions to house it... but to try and put some frame of mind like reference to it, I'd grudgingly say "Spirit is a field of awareness that I would describe as Love to an order of magnitude equal to Imagination."

This field is ephemeral, non local, untaintable, spotless, unborn and undying and yet saturated in interactability, incredibly personal and intimate beyond reckoning.  It seems to simultaneously and without incongruency embody emptiness void and birth of all form at once, without any effort and without losing or gaining anything.  It is so personal it is beyond personality.

My Mind seems to be a smaller, dense field of awareness that manifests in the field of Spirit, it seems to be woven from the frequencies of thought and emotion... and the manner in which it manifests in the field of Spirit seems similar to how a single wave manifests in the Ocean.  The field of this Mind in my experience is somewhat localized, (it seems to possess parameters but also manifests non locally*).

Body seems to be very localized awareness.  A slow, viscous fluidic vibratory expression of awareness inside of Mind within the field of Spirit.

*While there is no aspect of my body that doesn't seem to involve my mind.  Mind is a field within which the body manifests and thus seems like a somewhat localized-non local field.  We can measure my body and get its parameters.  But how can we measure the field of mind?  What are the parameters of a thought?  How big is an emotion?  Where is imagination located?  My mind may travel anywhere imagination reaches, thus is non local, yet when my mind is in these locations it still often manifests as if I were in a body in that location, so I use the phrase somewhat localized.

edit to add:

body may experience mind and spirit only in its location.

mind may experience body in its location and also may nonlocally experience anywhere in the field of spirit, but from a somewhat localized\perspective dependent relative position.

spirit is limitless awareness, omnipresent and imbued\saturated in every thing and non thing, spacial, empty, or form based.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

Who got to you?

Just trying to be a little Chuang Tzuist.  It's no easy task being Chuang Tzu and a butterfly at the same time.

• Like 3