qicat

The Tao of Craft by B.Wen.

Meow all:

https://www.amazon.com/Tao-Craft-Talismans-Esoteric-Tradition/dp/1623170664

Did anybody used this book for practical purposes? I checked the author, and there is a mismatch ( energy wise) between what she is and what is written in the book. It is likely the book is "channeled" or written by someone else ( grandparents?). 

Any thoughts/experiences?

• Like 1

Fascinating subject, the book has lots of good reviews. Considering buying it. Would be interested to hear of reviews from bums.

Fascinating subject, the book has lots of good reviews. Considering buying it. Would be interested to hear of reviews from bums.

Yes, I bought the book on amazon as well. Started reading it and got interesting energy vibes. However, did not do any practical stuff in that lineage. She describes theory way too well for an "americanized girl". There is something deeper for sure. But perhaps I have a strange way of reading books... who knows... 

Btw, I've been "warned" about this kind of books. For example, so I heard, all JAJ's books are "loaded" if you have the key... 

I posted about this book here and here, and as noted in the second link, received it as Christmas present (It does help to have strange friends).  I have been far busier in the new year than I thought and so I have not had a chance to do a detailed analysis, but it seems to be a good introduction to the topic for a medium to advanced beginner in magic.  As for Professor Johnon's Book, Daoist Magical Talismans, it is certainly loaded with valuable information, but none of the Daoist Magic series is intended for beginners.

If I have time I will try to work up a more detailed review.

By the way, the friend who gave this to me also ordered Benebel Wen's Tarot book and really likes it.

ZYD

• Like 3

How do you mean loaded? With energetic messages?

it's loaded with information. How do you perceive it( if at all) - that's your own business...

I am a friend of the author and I can attest that beyond the book, her knowledge is immense and yet her humility in it all is very admirable. She is very informative, but holds back a lot to make sure that while you do get scholarly and legalistic language that spells things out clearly, it isn't something that spoils the experience for you. This is especially true in her tarot work. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 10

zhong yong daoist reviewed it extremely well. I agree with their points, and will add that I found it incredibly useful for developing my very beginner fu practice. I especially enjoyed that she showed so many different systems and really helped you find ones that resonated more with you. It was a great starting point on what previously to me was such a intriguing but confusing subject.

Highly recommended as a beginner!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2017 at 2:11 PM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

No Heavenly Lord Taiyi, who is an extremely important god in Daoist work, a god of compassion, who protects and saves, his closest comparison functional comparison in the West would be Jesus, and he can be viewed as the male equivalent of Quan Yin, though rather than being a Buddhist borrowing he has a long history in China, having been among other things the most important deity in the Han Dynasty. He is very powerful and as a patron for the independent practitioner of Chinese styles of magic, a great ally to have.

Could you give some pointers for further reading on Taiyi Tianzun? I vaguely recall a paragraph or two about him in Eva Wong’s guide and I’d love to learn more. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:
On 3/12/2017 at 11:11 AM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

No Heavenly Lord Taiyi, who is an extremely important god in Daoist work, a god of compassion, who protects and saves, his closest comparison functional comparison in the West would be Jesus, and he can be viewed as the male equivalent of Quan Yin, though rather than being a Buddhist borrowing he has a long history in China, having been among other things the most important deity in the Han Dynasty. He is very powerful and as a patron for the independent practitioner of Chinese styles of magic, a great ally to have.

Could you give some pointers for further reading on Taiyi Tianzun? I vaguely recall a paragraph or two about him in Eva Wong’s guide and I’d love to learn more. Thanks!

Awhile back I posted this in my PPF:

On 12/26/2015 at 9:43 AM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

The Taoist Culture and Information Center describes him this way:

Origin of the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery

The Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery ( 太乙救苦天尊 Taiyi Jiuku Tianzun ) is also called 'Heavenly Lord of Salvation from Misery in Response to Cries for Help' ( 尋聲救苦天尊 Xunsheng Jiuku Tianzun ), and 'Heavenly Lord of Salvation from Misery in the Ten Directions" ( 十方救苦天尊 Shifang Jiuku Tianzun ). According to the Book of Protection and Salvation from Misery by the Supreme Oneness ( 太一護身救苦經 Taiyi Hushen Jiuku Jing ), the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery is the Great Benevolent One of the Heavenly Court's Eastern World of Eternal Happiness ( 東方長樂世界 Dongfang Changle Shijie ). He appears everywhere, in the Heavenly Palace ( 天宮 Tiangong ), in the human world, and in hell, among devils as the powerful governor. The Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery can transform in response to the kinds of subjects to be saved, into immortal lads and jade maidens, imperial sovereigns and saints, heavenly lords and perfected ones, diamond warriors and divine kings, devil kings and powerful guardians, celestial masters and Daoists, imperial men and venerable sovereigns, heavenly heelers and officials, men and women, civil and military officials, teachers of law and of meditation, masters of wind and of rain. He is all-powerful. "This sage is called the Supreme Oneness Spirit of Luck ( 太一福神 Taiyi Fushen ) in Heaven, the Great Benevolent One ( 大慈仁者 Daci Renzhe ) in the world, the Imperial Sovereign of Sunshine ( 日耀帝君 Riyao Dijun ) in hell, the Brilliant Lion King ( 獅子明王 Shizi Mingwang ) among heretics, and the Imperial Sovereign of the Pervasive Abyss ( 洞淵帝君 Dongyuan Dijun ) in the water realm."

Functions and Temple Worship

According to the Supreme Appeal of the Three Grottoes ( 太上三洞表文 Taishang Sandong Biaowen ), there are nine Heavenly Lords: the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery, the Heavenly Lord of Salvation from Misery in the Ten Directions, the Heavenly Lord Who Saves Sinners from the Ninth Hell ( 九幽度罪天尊 Jiuyou Duzui Tianzun ), the Heavenly Lord of Salvation from the Zhuling Star ( 朱陵度命天尊 Zhuling Duming Tianzun ), the Heavenly Lord of Elixirs Refined by Fire ( 火煉丹界天尊 Huolian Danjie Tianzun ), the Heavenly Lord of the Great Bridge of Salvation ( 法橋大度天尊 Faqiao Dadu Tianzun ), the Heavenly Lord of the Golden Palace Avatar ( 金闕化身天尊 Jinque Huashen Tianzun ), the Heavenly Lord of Unfettered Bliss ( 逍遙快樂天尊 Xiaoyao Kuaile Tianzun ), and the Heavenly Lord of Precious Glorious Perfection ( 寶華圓滿天尊 Baohua Yuanman Tianzun ). The Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery is the first and chief among them. His role is "to save sentient beings with highest holiness and benevolence, extreme kindness and love, by riding the immortal cart of nine masters and shining forth the auspicious lights of the hundred treasures." According to legends, a man in distress need only recite the name of the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery, and he will get help and relief in response to his cry for help. As for those who have accumulated merits perfectly, the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery will descend on his immortal cart of nine masters and, shining forth the auspicious lights of the hundred treasures, lead them to ascend to Immortality.

Daoist temples generally have a Hall of Supreme Oneness ( 太乙殿 Taiyi Dian ) where a sculpture or image of the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness is worshipped. He always appears as a Heavenly Lord riding on a lion. Only on the Festivals of the Three Origins, or during Yellow Register Rituals of Salvation, is the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery worshipped. Since the Song and Yuan dynasties, many Daoist rituals take the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery as the major divinity, such as the Precious Repentance for Salvation from the Blood Lake Hell Told by the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery ( 《太乙救苦天尊說撥度血湖寶懺》 Taiyi Jiuku Tianzun Shuo Badu Xiehu Baochan ), Refinement and Salvation of the Numinous Treasure ( 《靈寶煉度》 Lingbao Liandu ), and the Lantern Ritual for Salvation from the Ninth Hell ( 《九幽燈儀》 Jiuyou Dengyi ). In such rituals, besides guiding the sentient beings, the Heavenly Lord of Supreme Oneness and Salvation from Misery is also in charge of Refining the souls of the dead with water and fire, purifying the Blood Lake Hell, saving the souls of sinners from hell, and so on.  (Article on Heavenly Lord Taiyi)

He has been a focus of my practice for a long time and I see a real need for him in general, both because he can help to achieve and maintain internal congruence, but also for furthering peace and understanding.

The link in the above quote should work, but just in case here is  a link to the main page of the site described above:

The Taoist Culture and Information Center

Bookmark the site is extremely useful.

Also, you might find some of the other things I have posted in my PPF interesting.

ZYD

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

B. Wen has this great Metaphysician’s Day Planner that I bought one year. It was great, but way too much for my style. She shares great info. There is something I don't like about it, but that shouldn't stop anyone from learning from her work. 

Fu Talisman Instructables

https://benebellwen.com/the-tao-of-craft/fu-talisman-instructables/

Selling Fu Talismans
https://benebellwen.com/2017/11/12/selling-fu-talismans/ 

Tao of Craft Downloads
https://benebellwen.com/the-tao-of-craft/tao-of-craft-downloads/ 

smile.jpg.b2a655b4d23b3f9666f9fdc0d9672a50.jpg