Sign in to follow this  
Sunya

Jed Mckenna on bliss

Anyway i do enjoy reading these Kunlun threads they do sound like a fairytale and i see why its spreading cause people are after that stuff. I hope to see these abilties oneday!

WYG

Not to add fuel to the fire...... but is anyone actually looking for abilities from Kunlun?

(Marketing is a different thing, don't care about how that is done, it's not my school)

I'm just happy that I can meditate for 1hr & 20min now. @ 01/10/2007 the longest sitting meditation I could manage was 10min.

I just don't think anyone HERE actually wants any abilities.

What can i say "you bring out the best in me"?

Fairytale in a sense that most people that go for all this as it sounds too good to be true, nothing more Buddy! :unsure:

How did you here about Max, the people posting there experiences and his website right?

ummmm..I am done answering questions now dude.

Looks like Mantra is back if he wants to answer.

I found out about Max from the universe :lol:

ps. Probably if you looked up a thread called "Lama Dorje" which I think has the most hits of any thread in TB's history you can get the full, blow by blow story.

K bra?

Guest winpro07
:mellow: Edited by winpro07

Guest winpro07

Guest winpro07

Please please share with all here your experience of truth....

My exprience of bliss comes in spurts.

"I find my self in bliss all the time now, even while typing this....... Once this switch is thrown it never goes off.

The experience of truth however fleeting for some, always yields great happiness -if not laughter, joy, love, bliss, excitement, pleasure........."

Winpro, How is this effecting your life? Your relationship with family, friends? At work?

I can see it potentially freaking out some people.

Thanks

Michael

Guest winpro07

What an interesting series of debates :). I love this subject as it has driven me mad for years. My bias tends to be strongly Tantric (Kashmir Shaivism) as that is my main path. The traditional Trika philosophy Is an interesting mix of typical Mind only, awareness style schools (Pratyabijna) and cultivation bliss schools (Spanda and Kaula).

Also Schools such as the Kramer school which were a mix of the two. Even as i write this its too neatly divided, as they all had aspects of each other within them. The Amazing thing about them is that they all got along well and teachers regularly sent there students to learn from other schools to help them be more well rounded or to strengthen their deficiencies. The awareness focused schools didn't look at the energy/cultivation schools and say "Your just a bunch of Bliss Junkys, Stop bothering with yoga and go smoke some Hash!" That would be like Shiva saying "Sorry Shakti your not worth the time of day!"

In the teachings there was very much an understanding that bliss was a potential distraction and that it was the natural byproduct of Enlightenment.

Techniques were called Upayas (ways) and many techniques could bring bliss which was extremely usefull to the Yogi. Usefull for many reasons. One is that the monkey mind is only jumping around because it wants a Banana. Bliss is that banana, so bliss shuts up the mind, which is great for any further practices. One easilly becomes one pointed when blissfull so samadhi is easy to reach.

the danger was if you started doing the practice only for the bliss (thus keeping it a lesser bliss) and stopped using it as a vehicle to ride deeper and deeper into Self/Universe.

A bit on love not having anything to do with Enlightenment, Love is the feeling of oneness. If you are deeply connected to your partner there is a little oneness happening there and thus 'Love!'

If if you feel at one with your work you love what you do.

When One with the universe you naturally love everything in it as a result. I guess all I'm saying is that Bliss can take you into Consciousness and Consciousness results in Bliss.

The 'both and' camp surly belongs to the middle way.

Sat Chit Anand!

Seth.

What an interesting series of debates :). I love this subject as it has driven me mad for years. My bias tends to be strongly Tantric (Kashmir Shaivism) as that is my main path. The traditional Trika philosophy Is an interesting mix of typical Mind only, awareness style schools (Pratyabijna) and cultivation bliss schools (Spanda and Kaula).

Wonderful! Superbly worded ...

Trika is indeed a wonderful mix, offering just what is suitable to an individual. You have the four classic schools, which of course where a later classification by Abhinava Gupta:

Krama - Successive realization, where the unfoldment is gradual, employing bhedAbhedopAs [dualistic-monistic techniques]

Kaula - Realization of the totality of the universe, employing Tantra, Shakta to be specific

Spanda - Cognition of the vibration or Spanda in everything

Prathyabhijna - Spontaneous recognition of the individual self as the universal self, through anupAya or lack of practice or techniques.

Manifestation of pure bliss is in the realization of the universal consciousness and only unified consciousness can bring about true and unceasing bliss. The two are faces of the same coin. But pursual of bliss is not the goal of any school of Tantra or even Advaita, be it Kevaladvaita or Monisitic Shivadvaita as bliss, for most, is associated with the the mind, (or names and forms alternately), which ceases to exist when the Supreme Consciousness of Paramashiva unfolds.

Edited by SiliconValley

Krama - Successive realization, where the unfoldment is gradual, employing bhedAbhedopAs [dualistic-monistic techniques]

Kaula - Realization of the totality of the universe, employing Tantra, Shakta to be specific

Prathyabhijna - Spontaneous recognition of the individual self as the universal self, through anupAya or lack of practice or techniques.

Manifestation of pure bliss is in the realization of the universal consciousness and only unified consciousness can bring about true and unceasing bliss. The two are faces of the same coin. But pursual of bliss is not the goal of any school of Tantra or even Advaita, be it Kevaladvaita or Monisitic Shivadvaita as bliss, for most, is associated with the the mind, (or names and forms alternately), which ceases to exist when the Supreme Consciousness of Paramashiva unfolds.

Yes! You put it better than me :) thanks.

the onlt thing i might add is that the Pratyabijhna school was/is not only anupaya as it covers a whole range of amazing Self inquiry practices. Definitely has Shaktopaya /Shambhavopaya elements as well as anupaya. the Pratyabijnahridyam itself has its meditation/contemplations on the 5 processes...

I'd love to talk more, where do/did or with whom do you study? do you know of any good teachers? I'm always especially interested in anyone teaching it from a non-scholarly straight up practical yogic standpoint.

Not dissing the scholars, its just that i already have reems of their books on my shelves. Dence reading tends to contract mayiya mala :lol:

Thanks again,

Seth.

Sat Chit Anand!

the onlt thing i might add is that the Pratyabijhna school was/is not only anupaya as it covers a whole range of amazing Self inquiry practices. Definitely has Shaktopaya /Shambhavopaya elements as well as anupaya. the Pratyabijnahridyam itself has its meditation/contemplations on the 5 processes...

I'd love to talk more, where do/did or with whom do you study? do you know of any good teachers? I'm always especially interested in anyone teaching it from a non-scholarly straight up practical yogic standpoint.

Not dissing the scholars, its just that i already have reems of their books on my shelves. Dence reading tends to contract mayiya mala :lol:

Thanks again,

Seth.

Sat Chit Anand!

Hi Seth!

Have you seen the these lectures on Abhinavagupta's Tantrasara? They are given by a scholar, but he relates many of the concepts in a practical manner. I would also be interested in any more links of Kashmiri Shavism from a non-scholarly position.

Cheers,

Satyalok

Thanks again,

Seth.

Sat Chit Anand!

Rather than Kahsmiri Shaivism, my focus is Srividya Tantra, and there is a lot of exchange between the two systems. Srividya is practice-oriented but my Guru expects us to know some background. Hence a little peek here and there :D

Hi Seth!

Have you seen the these lectures on Abhinavagupta's Tantrasara? They are given by a scholar, but he relates many of the concepts in a practical manner. I would also be interested in any more links of Kashmiri Shavism from a non-scholarly position.

Cheers,

Satyalok

No, Great! I hadn't seen that site, wow, Look at all those mp3s!

thanks heaps. as for sites on more practical K.S. i cant help much. I do like Virendra Qazi's stuff but there is way too little of it, also he is one of the very few teachers left who actually grew up with it.

I'm hoping to visit him next year to see it being practiced in a traditional context.

There is a book called 'Consciousness is everything' by swami Shankarananda in Australia. He is a lovely man and I can say for myself it's easily the Best, most inspiring, practical, and enjoyably read on the subject ever (its scholarly as well but not dry). if this sounds too much like a sell I'm not his student. My training comes from a different school in Melbourne. His website is Shivayoga.com

any way thanks again for that site, i do like marks books.

Rather than Kahsmiri Shaivism, my focus is Srividya Tantra, and there is a lot of exchange between the two systems. Srividya is practice-oriented but my Guru expects us to know some background. Hence a little peek here and there :D

Hi :) thanks again. could you tell me more or point me somewhere for Srividya Tantra?

Seth.

Hi Seth,

I sent you a PM :-)

Thanks Silicon, unfortunatly im a bit of a noob using forums like this :lol: i got ur thing and when i changed pages i lost it. :( do i have an in box or something?

Seth

There's a new messages button towards the top right of the page. Just click that or my controls should get you to it.

There's a new messages button towards the top right of the page. Just click that or my controls should get you to it.

Ah Master Yoda comes through with goods again, thankyou. :)

Sign in to follow this