Gyon

Sitting meditation not comfortable

Does it make sense that if a person wants to have good posture than the abdominal muscles need to be engaged constantly? I found out that if I don't 'tense' my abs and midriff my back muscles are overloaded and pretty soon I get pain and begin to bend.

On 2/23/2017 at 2:18 AM, Gyon said:

I am really trying hard to be comfortable during sitting meditation.

This is such a good thread! I think I'll resurrect it! :)

Unless you are a skinny string-bean, extended cross legged sitting is not easy. As others have stated, those of us from western countries never learned to sit on the floor growing up so it's somewhat unnatural. I have a sturdy cushion (actually a yoga bolster). It helps a lot - keeps my butt higher than my feet which does wonders. I also set a timer on my phone so I'm not tempted to check the clock. When it rings, it rings. Until then, I sit.

Regarding the rest, I've learned that there's nothing else I need to do and there's nowhere else I need to be. Keep the priorities straight.

• Like 1

Being uncomfortable is not only bad for the body but shows you have completely the wrong attitude.  You can't settle into the truth of what you are whilst at the same time forcing yourself to sit painfully !!!

• Like 1

To me, Meditation is done with the heart/soul, so my body position is unimportant. 

But it depends on what your practice is.  

If I were to walk into a Zen sesshin and bring my recliner chair, I'm not sure that would go over well :D

Currently I sit zhengzuo/ seiza, with a zafu turned on its side to support my butt and a rug under me. I find this to be more consistently comfortable than any of the cross-legged positions, and I find it much easier to keep my back straight.