Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Let's Talk Obamacare

Aetna CEO says ObamaCare in 'death spiral'

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/319629-aetna-ceo-says-obamacare-in-death-spiral

"The CEO of one of the largest health insurers said Wednesday that ObamaCare is in a "death spiral."

Aetna CEO Mark Bertolini's comments come the day after Humana announced it would not participate in the ObamaCare exchanges in 2018.

"It's not going to get any better; it's getting worse," Bertolini said at a Wall Street Journal event.

"You saw my friend, Bruce, at Humana say, 'We're out.' "

• Like 3

Yeah, the system was designed to collapse in 2017. It was a ticking time bomb from Day One with the intent of crashing the system (see also Cloward-Piven Strategy) for the purpose of leaving little alternative but complete nationalization of the US healthcare system, which Obama stated was his real objective.

The new Congress and Administration have little time to dilly-dally...

• Like 1

I'm mostly in shock over the ideas they thought this would create... common sense said otherwise...

I do think they need to be careful in how they revamp it.  There are some important issues to maintain.    I suspect they will find a middle ground that otherwise they would never consider. 

Hi Brian,

From outside looking in at USA health care.

USA are always the first to provide health care to the world when any disaster occurs.

To bad they can't do the same for Americans.

Universal health cover should be a basic service available to eveveryone.

• Like 2

What the media won't tell you is that almost everyone in the US already had access to healthcare before Obamacare -- just not provided by the Federal government. Indigent, disabled, elderly,etc. we're covered by the government, hospitals were required to provide emergency care regardless of ability to pay and virtually every country or municipality offered public healthcare facilities on a sliding scale (meaning what you paid was scaled according your ability to pay). Wasn't perfect and there were holes to be filled but the central government was intent on a top-down takeover of the entire system.

What the media won't tell you is that almost everyone in the US already had access to healthcare before Obamacare -- just not provided by the Federal government. Indigent, disabled, elderly,etc. we're covered by the government, hospitals were required to provide emergency care regardless of ability to pay and virtually every country or municipality offered public healthcare facilities on a sliding scale (meaning what you paid was scaled according your ability to pay). Wasn't perfect and there were holes to be filled but the central government was intent on a top-down takeover of the entire system.

I hear you but I think the problem is cost.   Of course everyone has access but not everyone can pay for it.  And it has become an entitlement problem under Obamacare.    

I hear you but I think the problem is cost. Of course everyone has access but not everyone can pay for it. And it has become an entitlement problem under Obamacare.

With few exceptions, those who couldn't pay couldn't pay precisely because of market distortion caused by the government. The federal government's response was to give itself authority for increased manipulations. The federal government is the problem rather than the solution.

We have oodles of examples over many decades to demonstrate that anything the government puts itself in charge of becomes more expensive, less available and of poorer quality. No one who is paying attention can really believe this would be the exception in which the government would make things cheaper and better and more accessible.

Dealt with the IRS lately???

• Like 1

With few exceptions, those who couldn't pay couldn't pay precisely because of market distortion caused by the government. The federal government's response was to give itself authority for increased manipulations. The federal government is the problem rather than the solution.

We have oodles of examples over many decades to demonstrate that anything the government puts itself in charge of becomes more expensive, less available and of poorer quality. No one who is paying attention can really believe this would be the exception in which the government would make things cheaper and better and more accessible.

For clarity, the US government's intrusion into private healthcare really began during WWII and began spiraling out of control in the 1960s. The coup de grace was delivered during the last Administration (unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat).

Looked at Venezuela lately?

I'm thinking more like the government trying to drive down costs on stuff...  that would be more effective than playing the insurance plan game.   there are things out of control, in terms of cost and it has to stop in some way.

IRS... annual nuisance :)

I'm thinking more like the government trying to drive down costs on stuff... that would be more effective than playing the insurance plan game. there are things out of control, in terms of cost and it has to stop in some way.

IRS... annual nuisance :)

The government has driven health costs UP, not down. This was entirely predictable -- in fact, I was saying so right on this forum years ago and, as is the case more often than makes me comfortable, I was spot-on. Not because I am a genius, mind you, but because I do my homework and the patterns become self-evident when the homework is done with an open mind
  • Like 1

The government has driven health costs UP, not down. This was entirely predictable -- in fact, I was saying so right on this forum years ago and, as is the case more often than makes me comfortable, I was spot-on. Not because I am a genius, mind you, but because I do my homework and the patterns become self-evident when the homework is done with an open mind

I mean they need to drive it down by meeting with them and costing it as countries do...   not in programs as much, but I'm open to see what they can do with that approach.   There is a meeting effect with Trump... and I think they need to figure out how to create a ripple beyond the meeting. 

• Like 1

Health care in America is financially predatory.

They will try to help you... but they will also extract every possible ounce of gold they can in the process.

Broken from within it is... ~Yoda

• Like 3

Health care in America is financially predatory.

They will try to help you... but they will also extract every possible ounce of gold they can in the process.

Broken from within it is... ~Yoda

It became this way largely because the roles of payer and consumer have been decoupled.

So if an army/intelligence service soldier is wounded and/or disabled, what ministry pays for their medical care and/or disability: civil health or military budget?

So if an army/intelligence service soldier is wounded and/or disabled, what ministry pays for their medical care and/or disability: civil health or military budget?

In the US, the Department of Veterans Affairs is a separate Cabinet-level organization answering to the President, in parallel with the Department of Homeland Security and other agencies like the Department of Health and Human Services. Edited by Brian

I would disagree categorically that health care costs went up with the affordable care act. Some made a slight veer in the upward direction but more because of obstruction in so many states.

They were in the low curve for 8 years with the prior years out of control.

Universal Heath Care will be wonderful when it arrives and you can always carry an additional rider from private companies for more luxury treatment. It is this way in every other modern country.

My father owned 3 pharmaceutical companies - now the companies own the government.

The affordable care act was a small step in the right direction - much too small.

Trump and his group of hand picked incompetents are a fruit basket to the mongers - my father was one of them - they cannot help themselves.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 4

If you nationalised the healthcare in your country that would probably be a good thing. One of the greatest legacies of the Second World War in the UK is the NHS, which emerged out of a feeling that everyone had a right to be taken care of and not neglected. If the whole country was expected to pull together during times of war then everyone without exception should be looked after with basic health care in peace time. It took at catastrophic war for people to realise it. Sure it's expensive and could be improved and has inefficiencies but in reality it is one of better things about this country.

• Like 3

Some good news for taxpayers related to the ACA -- the IRS will not be requiring specific indication of coverage on this year's tax returns after all. The IRS says this is the result of Trump's directive to agencies to reduce burdens (but is probably also a result of the IRS pushing the deadline for the issuance of 1095-B & 1095-C forms until early March, which puts tax preparers in a bind):

https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/aca-information-center-for-tax-professionals

Sign in to follow this