Jah2075

Qigong for Self-Healing by jenny lamb

Hi all...

I'm a bit confused...I'm looking for a powerful healing qigong system that can work with my bipolar disorder, and Spring Forest Qigong (a truly powerful form by all accounts) is recommended to be used with such a condition, even with using the small universe meditation.

So why aren't I using it? The form is a little on the dull side (only my opinion after doing shibashi form for a year) - I'd like to try Qigong for Self-Healing by jenny lamb - but it states on her website that this system is not meant for people with psychiatric problems, which is a little disheartening considering the reputation of the system as a superb form for self healing.

I'd consider my bipolar to be stable at present and I've responded well to medication - does this mean I can try this system or not? I'm really looking for a healing system that is spiritual as well and if the disclaimer had not been there Sifu Lambs system would have been perfect.

Any opinions welcome...I have tried contacting Sifu Jenny directly but I'm yet to hear a response...

It's basically spontaneous moving qigong, the core of it, and that's likely the reason for the disclaimer, the other parts of the system from that DVD are safe (ie as safe as any other mainstream qigong set that's not spontaneous, doesn't have special breathing, visualizations nor forcing anything).

Edited by Leif
  • Like 1

I would suggest you take the advice of the instructor teaching the system. Your not going to find any more qualified advice here than Jenny herself. 

• Like 3

It's basically spontaneous moving qigong, the core of it, and that's likely the reason for the disclaimer, the other parts of the system from that DVD are safe (ie as safe as any other mainstream qigong set that's not spontaneous, doesn't have special breathing, visualizations nor forcing anything).

If you don't mind fulfilling my curiosity, what exactly makes a system of qigong "spontaneous" and why would such a system be more dangerous than others? I've seen the term used a lot but never heard a technical definition.

Some systems can be quite fiery and burn through internal obstacles with great intensity. This can be good for some people, but if you have serious psychological imbalances....no bueno señor. 

Trust me the path is difficult enough already and will make you question your sanity and go through times of deep tumult. It's better to not start out on a specific path when you already have 2 strikes against you. 

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 3

It does seem to me that yigong, AKA self healing qigong by Jenny Lamb, can unbalance the mind too much for someone with bipolar.

With a mind that isn't harmonious, the body will grow sick instead of healthier. In Chinese Medicine they would say that internal emotions, or (for those who don't have strong overt emotions) subtle flows of qi related to the mind and persona, are a major cause of disease. Yigong makes these flows stronger or more apparent...so you would become even more bipolar, and any idiosyncrasies in your demeanor would be more blatant...and thus more destructive to your health.

It seems to me that something which seems dull and boring would be perfect for the bipolar person. In actuality, nothing is boring...even simply living and breathing is an ecstatic experience! So how could a healing method of qigong be boring, in reality? Perhaps the mind needs to be given a rest with something that seems boring, in order for the swinging pendulum of bipolar to begin to return to the center. It's kind of like people who do sitting meditation retreats...it takes a while for them to benefit from the practice, because their mind needs to experience outer stillness (sitting, doing nothing, no distractions) before it can finally chill out.

And Spring Forest Qigong is a good and healing method. It's not weak for healing in comparison to yigong. Yigong is just one of those practices that seems powerful. I say this as someone who doesn't usually recommend SFQ...it just seems like a good idea in this case. Perhaps you would no longer be bipolar after a time of practice.

• Like 2

Regarding contacting the instructor, She responded to a question of mine within a day or two. It was very helpful. I'm certain you will receive an answer

• Like 3

Hi Jah2075,

I like Jenny Lamb´s Self-Healing dvd, and think the practice might be good for you. That said, I´d wait for an answer from her.  If it´s not prohibitively expensive (and it might be) you could consider purchasing a skype session from her to get guidance for your particular situation.

Even so, I´m not convinced that finding SFQ "dull" is a good reason to quit that system.  No matter what practice you do, you´re going to run into resistance.  Your body/mind will find seemingly good reasons to stop -- often right as you´re set to make real progress.  So I´d look more closely at this feeling of "dullness."  Perhaps consider it the first of many challenges to your resolve to keep going.

Feeling bored is a sign that part of you isn´t paying attention.  The more focused and aware you are, the more interested you´ll be.  Even just sitting and breathing can be fascinating if you´re tracking your sensations closely.  

My suggestion would be to continue with the SFQ and pay attention to that feeling of dullness.  Maybe regard it as an old friend.  "Oh there´s that feeling of dullness again, here to try to trick me into stopping my practice."  And then pay attention. 

• Like 4