Taoway

Does the media largely exaggerate how much "terror" there is going on in the world?

I have noticed lately that the media is attempting to influence which way they think the vote should go in this coming election.

• Like 1

Bad news has good legs and sells well.  And the desire to share the nasty bits is a tempting ego stroke that makes me feel powerful when I am the one doing the sharing and when I give in to it.  One of the reasons I gave up tv and radio years ago is that I couldn't shake the awareness that it is at its core, to me, parasitic.  It does not enlighten, educate, nor assist.  It is designed to feed fear and sensationalism in the extreme and it's worth is near non-existent for me. 

Seems to me, that in the age of information we just hear about more things, in much quicker fashion so it seems that more is happening, but I still hold that for every piece of bad information, there are thousands of moments of pleasant, which are so common as to be ignored as 'normal' and 'boring'. 

When I started on my path of healing, I began by changing what I put in my mouth. 

Then I altered what I put on my body.

Inevitably, that led to what I allow and foster in my mind.

Slowly, I'm working on what comes out of my mouth as well.

TV and radio are absurd and utterly ridiculous to me now after years of not ingesting them.  The ads, the constant stream of suggestion and programming I find nauseating. 

Don't believe everything you think... they're just thoughts and just because you thought it, doesn't make it real, true, or important.

• Like 3

That which was the news has become infotainment. But I dont think there really is a way to accurately represent the importance of events that happen outside our sphere,, or even within it. But I do like some stuff, like The news hour, which to me seems less distorted, more broadly considered.

But even THEY ! succumb to the lure of the election year and describe pundits opinions about polls etc. Which IMO ,should not be considered newsworthy, compared to actual opinions of candidates. And merely by attending to the idiosyncratic stories of the day, may contribute to a distorted view of things.

I strongly recommend you watching this excellent noir film:

Ace in the Hole (1951)

"Charles Tatum: Bad news sells best. Cause good news is no news."

The world, humanity...not better than 2,500 years ago and maybe better than in the next 2,500 years. ;)

Cultivate here and now with as much effort as you can, try to get out of this 'crazy' humanity making sure you never return (anagami)

That which was the news has become infotainment. But I dont think there really is a way to accurately represent the importance of events that happen outside our sphere,, or even within it. But I do like some stuff, like The news hour, which to me seems less distorted, more broadly considered.

But even THEY ! succumb to the lure of the election year and describe pundits opinions about polls etc. Which IMO ,should not be considered newsworthy, compared to actual opinions of candidates. And merely by attending to the idiosyncratic stories of the day, may contribute to a distorted view of things.

That's because democracy is absolutely all about opinion polls and everything we see is an attempt to sell us something. TV has, from very early on, been entertainment. Few people hear the music that accompanies the news these days, but it always has a dramatic sweep that tugs at the emotions. It took a while before TV understood what its role was, it was always going to pander to the sensational because it's fundamentals belong in the world of film and acting. It's a visual and aural extravaganza, take away either and it loses its USP. Even silent movies had to be accompanied with music to make them work.

It's easy to get upset with tv, but to do so is ridiculous really, we watch it only because the producers have the format properly figured out. They understand the medium and present it in the way we enjoy it. If we didn't, then we wouldn't watch. Imagine if newspapers were light print on a light coloured background with the main story buried in the centre and advertising on the front page. We wouldn't buy them. It must grab our attention and hold it. That's what advertisers and marketing people pay for. Once the technique is understood, then the novelty fails to hold us any more and so it must be constantly refreshed with new studios, pretty presenters, greater dramatic impact, cleverer messaging and ever more unusual/inventive styles.

Coffee was once just water and some ground up beans for flavour, but just look at the way it is marketed and served these days. Coffee is entertainment and a lifestyle. 10 years ago, a coffee in a polystyrene cup was the preserve of roadside vans and truck stops, but now it's a metropolitan lifestyle accessory. The cigarette was once marketed in a similar way until it's health effects were identified, but eventually it got around the problem and vaping was born. It's moved into the realm of new age, it appeals to the same people that once smoked pipes and put their cigarettes in long tapered holders, it is becoming sophisticated in one sense and slightly anarchic in another.

• Like 2

Well people do want entertaInment, a means to fit in, social opportunity etc. Normal goals no matter what era one lives in, wouldnt you say? So, to me, none of this is the " end of the world" or the slow deadly approach of failure brought on by decadence. I see it as the changes which taking place as time wears on, to technolgy, social institutions etc, while humanity undergoes a "genetic drift-like" phase with adherence to the basic nature people always had.

I was told that they found in ancient roman ruins, graffitti which complained society was going down the drain , Similar to modern complaints, from the Roman folks who pretty much invented hamburgers ,drains and theater for western culture. ... those symbols in cave paintings are probably advertizements and political cartoons. :)

Well people do want entertaInment, a means to fit in, social opportunity etc. Normal goals no matter what era one lives in, wouldnt you say? So, to me, none of this is the " end of the world" or the slow deadly approach of failure brought on by decadence. I see it as the changes which taking place as time wears on, to technolgy, social institutions etc, while humanity undergoes a "genetic drift-like" phase with adherence to the basic nature people always had.

I was told that they found in ancient roman ruins, graffitti which complained society was going down the drain , Similar to modern complaints, from the Roman folks who pretty much invented hamburgers ,drains and theater for western culture. ... those symbols in cave paintings are probably advertizements and political cartoons. :)

Civilisation is going down the drain. We have been drifting since the 19 th century. Things don't appear to be improving. People on this forum are surely looking for something that they haven't found in their present lives-what is that do you think ?

Declines of civilisation have been cyclical, but, one thing has prevented complete collapse and that is autonomy of the individual in certain countries. In other words some countries have had law, protection of property rights, private property and Liberty. However, we have been moving ever faster towards globalisation. That means fewer places for people to seek a place to flourish outside of the control of Government. Is it any wonder they seek entertainment and nullification of the mind.

You believe it's just a bit of benign drifting, but reality isn't kind to drifters and entire populations that are drifting are ripe for conquest by those with more dogmatic attitudes. The more the population is lured into escapism and pragmatism, the less the mind functions independently and the closer people come to accepting tyranny.

• Like 1

Civilisation is going down the drain. We have been drifting since the 19 th century. Things don't appear to be improving. People on this forum are surely looking for something that they haven't found in their present lives-what is that do you think ?

Declines of civilisation have been cyclical, but, one thing has prevented complete collapse and that is autonomy of the individual in certain countries. In other words some countries have had law, protection of property rights, private property and Liberty. However, we have been moving ever faster towards globalisation. That means fewer places for people to seek a place to flourish outside of the control of Government. Is it any wonder they seek entertainment and nullification of the mind.

You believe it's just a bit of benign drifting, but reality isn't kind to drifters and entire populations that are drifting are ripe for conquest by those with more dogmatic attitudes. The more the population is lured into escapism and pragmatism, the less the mind functions independently and the closer people come to accepting tyranny.

Maybe. 

Maybe.

History confirms it Stosh. Take a look at the decline of the Roman Empire, which, in the West had fragmented by 500AD, led to the beginnings of the Dark Ages from the 4th to 14th century before the Renaissance began. This was the time of the rediscovery of reason. Every time we discover reason then good things happen. We get rapid advances in every area of life literature, art, music, medicine, wealth, health, prosperity, life span. If we could just stop buggering it up by falling back into irrationality, we could continue forward with rapid advancements. Imagine a thousand year enlightenment period, or even better, one without end. Think how productive such a period would be. Just a couple of hundred years during the Greek, Renaisance and the 19th century made immense improvements to human life compared to the relatively stagnant/backwards periods in between.

If we look to reason once more then this can happen. If we continue our obsession with pragmatism, sacrifice, hedonism, collectivism, spiritual and muscular mysticism then we will continue on a path that, because of the global situation, we won't be able to recover from. I hope that is not the case, my aim is to continue to shout warnings as civilisation commits slow suicide, to advance the cause of reason to promote enlightenment. I will do that for as long as I'm able in the hope that a few others take up the torch, but it seems to me it is too little too late.

History confirms it Stosh. Take a look at the decline of the Roman Empire, which, in the West had fragmented by 500AD, led to the beginnings of the Dark Ages from the 4th to 14th century before the Renaissance began. This was the time of the rediscovery of reason. Every time we discover reason then good things happen. We get rapid advances in every area of life literature, art, music, medicine, wealth, health, prosperity, life span. If we could just stop buggering it up by falling back into irrationality, we could continue forward with rapid advancements. Imagine a thousand year enlightenment period, or even better, one without end. Think how productive such a period would be. Just a couple of hundred years during the Greek, Renaisance and the 19th century made immense improvements to human life compared to the relatively stagnant/backwards periods in between.

If we look to reason once more then this can happen. If we continue our obsession with pragmatism, sacrifice, hedonism, collectivism, spiritual and muscular mysticism then we will continue on a path that, because of the global situation, we won't be able to recover from. I hope that is not the case, my aim is to continue to shout warnings as civilisation commits slow suicide, to advance the cause of reason to promote enlightenment. I will do that for as long as I'm able in the hope that a few others take up the torch, but it seems to me it is too little too late.

That may true , I dunno ,, maybe under different circumstances I'd have had that opinion as well. But since I dont think I am having any impact on world affairs -for better or worse- it seems just fine that I can stick with the opinion I have for my own ease. No one is asking for my guidance in this. 

That may true , I dunno ,, maybe under different circumstances I'd have had that opinion as well. But since I dont think I am having any impact on world affairs -for better or worse- it seems just fine that I can stick with the opinion I have for my own ease. No one is asking for my guidance in this.

Of course you are having an impact on world affairs. Why do you take the approach that you are insignificant ? If you want to make the world a better place then you must start with yourself. The most powerful force is consistency of thought, speech and action. No compromises ever.

Ghandi said 'be the change you wish to see in the world'. It's clear that if you want to clear up the weeds in a field then you must start somewhere. It is no good waiting for others or to evade the work yourself. Remove just one weed and then another and another. Pretty soon others will notice and see that it isn't impossible, then they will join in.

• Like 1

Of course you are having an impact on world affairs. Why do you take the approach that you are insignificant ? If you want to make the world a better place then you must start with yourself. The most powerful force is consistency of thought, speech and action. No compromises ever.

Ghandi said 'be the change you wish to see in the world'. It's clear that if you want to clear up the weeds in a field then you must start somewhere. It is no good waiting for others or to evade the work yourself. Remove just one weed and then another and another. Pretty soon others will notice and see that it isn't impossible, then they will join in.

It's impossible to assess.

It's impossible to assess.

Aw Stosh :-/ You can know it. What we do in life echoes throughout eternity. 'You will know the tree by its fruit' is not only a proverb applied to others, it's applied to self. Are you satisfied with the fruit that you produce ? This is how to assess.

Aw Stosh :-/ You can know it. What we do in life echoes throughout eternity. 'You will know the tree by its fruit' is not only a proverb applied to others, it's applied to self. Are you satisfied with the fruit that you produce ? This is how to assess.

While the total ramifications of what we do reverb as described , Im thinking that the predictable ramifications really cover a rather idiosyncratic local zone. ( if one doesnt know the ramification,  then one Cant be making choices which are chosen to promote one end result or the other- the butterfly flapping his wings , has No idea whatsoever What the end results are around the globe , or in a year. And neither would I ... )  proverbs aren't exactly a scientific or philosophical argument :) 

While the total ramifications of what we do reverb as described , Im thinking that the predictable ramifications really cover a rather idiosyncratic local zone. ( if one doesnt know the ramification,  then one Cant be making choices which are chosen to promote one end result or the other- the butterfly flapping his wings , has No idea whatsoever What the end results are around the globe , or in a year. And neither would I ... )  proverbs aren't exactly a scientific or philosophical argument :) 

Well this goes to the heart of ethics- which is a science.

A proverb of the kind I quoted is most definitely logical. From an Apple tree comes Apples. Whatever we do echoes throughout history is causality in action.

So, the question must be to ask what should I do ? What is good and bad, right and wrong, good and evil. It's the old RI/RO. You do what you know to be right, do not worry about what that means to anyone other than you and those you care about. A good act is a good act X is X.

A proverb of the kind I quoted is most definitely logical. From an Apple tree comes Apples. Whatever we do echoes throughout history is causality in action.

So, the question must be to ask what should I do ? What is good and bad, right and wrong, good and evil. It's the old RI/RO. You do what you know to be right, do not worry about what that means to anyone other than you and those you care about. A good act is a good act X is X.

I agree, that the the idea of good and evil maintains this other idea that one can in fact ' do ' a good thing,  to make the world a 'better place' , and that this is what would make it possible to positively affect things that are remote with some sort of confidence that it would in fact still be effectively good... at the far end.  I just don't personally think that anymore. X may or may not be considered a good act , and f(+X), is not necessarily +X  anymore . :)

Edited by Stosh

In my relaionship with my wife, what is important to her is important to me. There are moments when I choose myself over her wants and desires. But I feel remorse, and question my motives in order to eliminate the remorse I feel. Example: It angers me that our little dog is in the kitchen hoping to be fed some morsel of the food that my wife is preparing for herself. It angers me that my wife does not keep Sweeper out of the kitchen as I do. Sweeper our dog knows to stay out of the kitchen when I am there. Sweeper has learned that being in the kitchen is not a problem for my wife.

Yesterday, I emailed my wife and said that my annoyance at Sweeper's being in the kitchen was because of my acute sinuitis. But it was a lie, because last night when Sweeper came in the Kitchen while my wife was there, I looked at Sweeper who was looking at me typing at my desk, and I said, 'Go!!!' Sweeper exited the kitchen.

My wife was confused and seemed annoyed...understandably. I had given her a double message. I had gone back on my well intended agreement with myself. How does this affect our relationship? Well, it might be a little thing to her, or a big thing to her...no matter. She will remember my behavior. So, instead of bringing back up, I will work on my behavior and try to say what I mean and mean what I say.

Progress rather than perfection.

In summary, for me, there is no linear X is X. No absolutes.

This note not meant for Karl or MH: This is what I am looking for, examples such as the above, when I look at The Bums recital of what they believe in. Pointing to authors, opinions, or recall is not you walking the talk. It is you talking the walk.

I agree, that the the idea of good and evil maintains this other idea that one can in fact ' do ' a good thing,  to make the world a 'better place' , and that this is what would make it possible to positively affect things that are remote with some sort of confidence that it would in fact still be effectively good... at the far end.  I just don't personally think that anymore. X may or may not be considered a good act , and f(+X), is not necessarily +X  anymore . :)

Perhaps in time you will change your view.

In my relaionship with my wife, what is important to her is important to me. There are moments when I choose myself over her wants and desires. But I feel remorse, and question my motives in order to eliminate the remorse I feel. Example: It angers me that our little dog is in the kitchen hoping to be fed some morsel of the food that my wife is preparing for herself. It angers me that my wife does not keep Sweeper out of the kitchen as I do. Sweeper our dog knows to stay out of the kitchen when I am there. Sweeper has learned that being in the kitchen is not a problem for my wife.

Yesterday, I emailed my wife and said that my annoyance at Sweeper's being in the kitchen was because of my acute sinuitis. But it was a lie, because last night when Sweeper came in the Kitchen while my wife was there, I looked at Sweeper who was looking at me typing at my desk, and I said, 'Go!!!' Sweeper exited the kitchen.

My wife was confused and seemed annoyed...understandably. I had given her a double message. I had gone back on my well intended agreement with myself. How does this affect our relationship? Well, it might be a little thing to her, or a big thing to her...no matter. She will remember my behavior. So, instead of bringing back up, I will work on my behavior and try to say what I mean and mean what I say.

Progress rather than perfection.

In summary, for me, there is no linear X is X. No absolutes.

This note not meant for Karl or MH: This is what I am looking for, examples such as the above, when I look at The Bums recital of what they believe in. Pointing to authors, opinions, or recall is not you walking the talk. It is you talking the walk.

:-) It was an absolute that this is how you felt, you felt that way and no other way X is X. I don't know what you mean by linear except from the point of view of direct proportionality ?

There was no doubt about your likes and dislikes in that situation. However, again I must caution you that you are mixing philosophy with psychology. These things aren't the same thing. That you like a steak, hate a carrot, or are ambivalent about an artichoke doesn't change the philosophy that this is how you are about these things. X is X even in the case of the ambivalent artichoke.

However, there are good things and bad things, good and evil things. There are difficult decisions of course and the worse your philosophy, the more difficult it will be for you to see which one is which. What you should and shouldn't say to your wife is not a case of right, or wrong, just as it isn't wrong to choose a steak over a carrot. You do know you shouldn't slap your wife, bludgeon her to death, or put the dog through a blender. Whether the dog stays, or doesn't, won't affect the world, it's just something you will have to resolve. If you find that it cannot be resolved then you will either accept it, she will accept it, or neither will accept it.

• Like 1

Perhaps in time you will change your view.

Perhaps ,, I know the allure,, I once shared your view, ,,just not now. My experiences tell me it just doesn't fit anymore.I find this other view a relief and so, offered it .

• Like 1

Perhaps ,, I know the allure,, I once shared your view, ,,just not now. My experiences tell me it just doesn't fit anymore.I find this other view a relief and so, offered it .

You know it really isn't like that. I first held the view that in the way you probably did, then I held your current view for several years, but, when I moved to the Objectivist view-now I don't really know quite how to explain it, but I wasn't at all upset by the change, it was a feeling like I had come down to earth in a good way, very grounded and solid.

• Like 2

Karl, your view is so clear and determined. I truly appreciate your Philosophy and the how of your life.

You see my internal life and the mental labyrinth of twists and turns I must turvail in order to reach and maintain my goal of sanity.  My brain can easily, in time, tell me what is "right is really wrong and what is "wrong is really right."

This is how it is that I cannot allow myself to stray off the beaten path and question my beliefs and Philosophical stance. There is a saying and it goes like this..."Analysis Paralysis."

Reality testing is my constant companion and guide.

This is how it is that I ask for examples from other Dao Brothers...to show me how their Philosophies have helped them live a better and more sane life. This will help me determine if we are on the same page.

What I see written by most posters is an exercise in academia without the course work. I really haven't been able to discern the original mission of Dao Bums...what were the ceators trying to accomplish.

Well anyway, know that I am similar to the guy in "A Beautiful Mind," had to ask from time to time..."Do you see them?"

Karl, your view is so clear and determined. I truly appreciate your Philosophy and the how of your life.

You see my internal life and the mental labyrinth of twists and turns I must turvail in order to reach and maintain my goal of sanity.  My brain can easily, in time, tell me what is "right is really wrong and what is "wrong is really right."

This is how it is that I cannot allow myself to stray off the beaten path and question my beliefs and Philosophical stance. There is a saying and it goes like this..."Analysis Paralysis."

Reality testing is my constant companion and guide.

This is how it is that I ask for examples from other Dao Brothers...to show me how their Philosophies have helped them live a better and more sane life. This will help me determine if we are on the same page.

What I see written by most posters is an exercise in academia without the course work. I really haven't been able to discern the original mission of Dao Bums...what were the ceators trying to accomplish.

Well anyway, know that I am similar to the guy in "A Beautiful Mind," had to ask from time to time..."Do you see them?"

To quote a well known Buddhist phrase 'the fruit falls from the tree when it is ripe'.

To quote a well known Buddhist phrase 'the fruit falls from the tree when it is ripe'.

Please explain.

Please explain.

It will happen if it happens and no amount of watching, praying or shouting will get it to fall any faster than that.