Sign in to follow this  
Rakiel

Taijijuan Advice

So I have made the decision to take up taijijuan to complement my recent interest in qigong and Daoist meditation.

I have a few questions for practitioners of internal arts here on this forum.

I have narrowed the choices in my area down to two options:

Firstly, there is an "Old Yang Style" 108-frame which apparently descended from Yang Shaohou to Wu Jianquan to An Dinbang to Chian Ho Yin. This is not the Erle Montaigne or BK Frantzis version. Students of Chian Ho Yin are currently teaching throughout the Midwest from what I have gathered. The class is offered two times per week (which is a plus). The lack of popularity of this lineage allows a few doubts to linger. As a plus, the instructor also teaches baduanjin.

Secondly, There is a Chen-Style Practical Method class taught once a week near my city. Apparently the instructor offers the same class in a different location another day of the week. I am personally leaning towards this option because it is more well-known and popular style.

I am mostly interested in martial applications, push hands, one day progressing towards baguazhang, and learning fajin. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am a practitioner of the Old Yang style, and I certainly recommend it, but I also like some of the Chen I have seen. They are both quite martial compared to more modern, watered down versions. So, more important than the style may be how you resonate with a teacher and school. Watch a class and, if possible, join one, before you make up your mind and subscribe. That's the best advice I can give you.

• Like 1

I agree that you should choose based on the teacher with the style you resonate with. That said, there are many options. Personally, I draw a distinction between my taiji practice and my martial practice. Though I enjoy doing a very martial cannon fist form and have gained martial skills through the practice, I feel that taiji works best as a dance to enlightenment. A way of sending signals to your deeper awareness that you plan on meeting life relaxed yet alert, with a sense of spontaneous power behind a peaceful demeanor. If martial skills and push hands knowledge is your priority in this moment, check out an art called guided chaos. www.attackproof.com  In my opinion this art has tapped into the deepest and most subtle layers of martial tai chi while staying absolutely practical. 

Thanks for the link/ The martial stuff would be interesting, but truthfully it is not a priority. Ultimately, it is just something I want to learn (and learn properly) for health and to further what I hope will be a lifelong interest in IMA.

General

If I understood your objectives correctly, you may benefit more from Chen Tai Chi because its areas of development directly or indirectly will match up and amplify your skills related with your other interests.

Benefits

Chen Tai chi will give you the following benefits.

Strong leg work

Strong Kwa work

Strong Fajing work

Results that will transfer to your other practices

These three things will create directly or indirectly a very Strong and Solid dantien (***)

This will benefit you greatly with your meditation and Qi gong

Bagua

The silk reeling or coiling exercises typically done within Chen style tai chi will help you a lot if you should progress or advance later to Bagua practice

Safety considerations

However, if you should have any back or spinal problems.

You should be careful and then maybe Yang Tai chi might be a better option for obvious reasons.

Yang Tai chi

Yang Tai chi is also a very valid choice it takes a different route and develops qualities differently

This is the same for every tai chi style.

They all are tai chi but they are specializing in different things and all have unique approaches or roads to get to their final destination.

At the end it will not matter the most important thing is that you choose a practice that you really like doing to create an uplifting energy and enjoy yourself

Have a great weekend

Ronaldk

• Like 1

Put Cassical Tai Chi 108 Forms Master Hwa in your browser and tell me what you think. He is a Third Generation Master of Classical Wu Tai Chi. I am his long distance student. Been with him since 2003. He is here in the United States.

JD

Thanks for the link/ The martial stuff would be interesting, but truthfully it is not a priority. Ultimately, it is just something I want to learn (and learn properly) for health and to further what I hope will be a lifelong interest in IMA.

I'd go with the Practical Method guys were I in your position. It's really good material. Also, taiji without the martial is not taiji, you're just doing qigong then.

Sign in to follow this