Wells

reality is like a dream

Scientists have/are contemplating the idea that reality is a dream slash matrix:

http://www.onbeing.org/program/uncovering-codes-reality/feature/symbols-power-adinkras-and-nature-reality/1460

---------------------------------------------

Physicists at The Australian National University (ANU) have conducted John Wheeler’s delayed-choice thought experiment, which involves a moving object that is given the choice to act like a particle or a wave. Wheeler’s experiment then asks – at which point does the object decide?
http://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/experiment-confirms-quantum-theory-weirdness

--------------------------------------------

One of the oddest predictions of quantum theory – that a system can’t change while you’re watching it – has been confirmed in an experiment by Cornell physicists.
http://phys.org/news/2015-10-zeno-effect-verifiedatoms-wont.html#jCp

• Like 4

The only matrix/dream is the one the pseudo scientist have chosen to fall into.

Nope, I know you wish to believe this, but life is life and death is death. There is no waking up. Once we are gone we cease to exist in every way except the lifeless corpse that remains. That's not to say I like the idea of death, most certainly I don't and won't come to terms with it until life itself has become a painful burden, or I wink out without any awareness. It's difficult to come to terms with death because we choose life, we aren't animals and so we must gain knowledge to survive and do so volitionally. To contemplate the end of all that work, effort and values which is no longer volitional is hard/next to impossible to accept. However, it is that fear of extinction that drives us to do all we do. If we were ever lasting robots without need of food, water, love or shelter, then we would not do anything. There would be no requirement to try and survive, it would be a given, so no need to accumulate any knowledge or perform any action. Life would be a featureless plane of existence without soul. So, we must accept the end for the joy we can grab out of life. Live it now and to the full.

Another nihilistic post that is not relevant to the OP. I question what you are doing on this site in which the Tao and other subjects are being discussed.

• Like 4

A scene from 'No Country For Old Men' by the ultimate rationalist/nihilist. Thought it was fitting for part of this discussion.

• Like 3

I question what you are doing on this site in which the Tao and other subjects are being discussed.

I question Karl's presence as well. By his own words he is here to gain followers for his own political agenda. He knows little of Daoism or Buddhism, has no interest in learning and shows no respect for these traditions. I have no problem with a small number of posts from someone like him, but he is a prolific poster. He is regularly top poster on any given day. His fundamental opposition to the spirit of this site regularly prevents discussions from developing in any constructive way. 

• Like 4

Another nihilistic post that is not relevant to the OP. I question what you are doing on this site in which the Tao and other subjects are being discussed.

Nihlism isn't about human death Ralis. Nihlism is the negation of life not the reality of death. I question what you are doing continually complaining about me instead of answering the posts. It is the forum equivalent of stalking. The question here was about life being a dream. See if you can answer that.

I agree with Wells that the 'dream time' has been a major part of many traditions. So called reality is almost impossible to quantify given the nature of the brain and it's conditioned filtering mechanism. What one experiences is a tiny sliver of the nature of things which makes the experience one of a dream.

• Like 1

Well, and if no corpse remains but vanishes into rainbow light during one week after death?

Maybe then there is a waking up? :D

Provide the proof. There are mass graves all over the world in which there are rotted bodies and skeletons. Do you deny that they exist ? What do you ascribe the rainbow light and disappearing body too ?

Nihlism isn't about human death Ralis. Nihlism is the negation of life not the reality of death. I question what you are doing continually complaining about me instead of answering the posts. It is the forum equivalent of stalking. The question here was about life being a dream. See if you can answer that.

I have just answered it in several ways. I have every right to critique what you write as you have with me so your stalking claim is moot.

Provide the proof. There are mass graves all over the world in which there are rotted bodies and skeletons. Do you deny that they exist ? What do you ascribe the rainbow light and disappearing body too ?

On another thread, that subject was covered in detail with photos and links. There are yogis that do shrink their bodies after death. The proof is in the photos and eye witnesses.

• Like 2

A year or two ago I was reading Robert Moss's work, he's an author, shamanic dream path.  He wrote that we'd live better if we looked at life as a dream and took our night dreams more seriously. 

Looking at life as a dream is a good practice imo.  It means going through you day, looking at the symbolism of what happens to you, what it might represent on a mythic scale.  It makes you look for signs and synchronicities.  Its kind of fun.  As long you don't take it too literally in which case you might be tempted to think that dream car won't really run you over.  Cause dreams come and go, reality tends to be more stubborn.

In my personal section I have a thread 'Life as Dream'.  I should update it.  Yesterday I found a penny from 1920.  Actually saw it in a tip bowl, fished it out and put in 30 cents.  I find lots of old coins.  An old penny is lucky, 1920 is luckier, symbolizing letting good times roll, exuberance building.   I've been unusually lucky the last month with stock options.  A couple years ago I had a Iching reading with a practitioner here.  I asked how could I become a better Trader.  The answer was, honor the feminine.  So I'm willing to take smaller profits.  End risk earlier, keep things diverse.

Today, lying by my car I found a shiny dime.  In my dream reality dimes are bad luck.  Perhaps just cautionary.  But that is life. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

I question Karl's presence as well. By his own words he is here to gain followers for his own political agenda. He knows little of Daoism or Buddhism, has no interest in learning and shows no respect for these traditions. I have no problem with a small number of posts from someone like him, but he is a prolific poster. He is regularly top poster on any given day. His fundamental opposition to the spirit of this site regularly prevents discussions from developing in any constructive way. 

I know very little about Daoism and quite a lot about Buddhism. I have shown nothing but respect to the people here, that I disagree with you is not a lack of respect. Indeed, it should present you with no issues what so ever instead of using 'heretic' as an argument. Buddhism is about knowing the truth, being enlightened. I'm sure there are no religions that refute the idea the truth is important.

How do I 'prevent discussions'. Do I threaten you with a gun, put you in a cell or gag you ? No. I simply disagreed with you that's all and presented a reasoned argument as to why. If you can't cope with that It should make you question yourself, not go blaming me. Don't read the posts, skip on. You can even put me on your ignore list. I'm sure others have.

On another thread, that subject was covered in detail with photos and links. There are yogis that do shrink their bodies after death. The proof is in the photos and eye witnesses.

At the risk of stirring the hornets nest further. Is life your dream or theirs ? If you can't state that something is true, if you believe life is all a dream. What's true for you is then not true for them. Even if I believed your assertion, by implication you cannot believe it yourself as you have determined it is not reality.

I have just answered it in several ways. I have every right to critique what you write as you have with me so your stalking claim is moot.

Your idea of 'rights' appears very fluid. Perhaps that's what happens when you have no grip on reality because you believe life is a dream ? Seems like it could be. I must be like a nightmare in your dream.

I have had limited success with 'dream yoga' as taught by Norbu, but when it happens it is as if I enter a different world that seems more alive than when I am awake. There are times when it might be the so called astral, but is perhaps clearer and less emotional than the so called astral.

• Like 2

When I say more alive is not quite precise, but more fluid, brighter and blissful. Perhaps with less limitations. Almost watery.

Edited by ralis

When I feel space in my waking life, it is almost fluid like. For me to describe the feeling of space is not so easy and perhaps that is dream like; that is to say the experience of space which I can feel.

• Like 1

Anyone here have the feeling of direct experience with space? Mine is more visual feeling, but not easy to characterize. Perhaps space gives life for me a dream like quality.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

Can you be 100% sure that you didn't just dream me up as part of your dreamscape?

In Dzogchen, we are taught to see others as self-vision.

If we help them, then we in fact help ourselves. ;)

Also, we (you and me) just live in a common reality because we share common karma and also with all our fellow human beings in this common reality.

Beings with another common karma live together in other common realities. ^_^

Oh, if I had dreamed you up your name would have been John, or Don, or George.

Sure, I will go alone with seeing others (how they interact with us) as self-vision and I agree that helping others help our self.

Yes, we all live on planet Earth.  That's a common reality.  I don't hold to karma, let alone a common karma. 

• Like 1

Back to topic, please.

Every topic you start is like a dream come true to me.

• Like 1

Well, I would like to suggest that dreams are a reflection of our concerns of our physical real life.  No, they don't always make sense but dreams are our brain being too active.

I will also suggest that a dreamless sleep is similar to the state of wu wei except that in sleep we are not aware of the external world.

• Like 1