manitou

may we call this Rigpa?

good thing about this rigpa business is that you can't say it is this or it is not this, also good that the mind never knows if it was or wasn't rigpa happening ;)

in line with that I just say I have no f'ing clue what was that sister!

but what I heard is that experience and realisation are different - so my humble opinion is that it was a nyam - an experience on the path - they come in all shapes, feelings of utter bliss, clarity, stillness, weird pains, shaking of the body what have you - I somehow feel if I start talking about some of the stuff that happened to me on this path with an ordinary psychologist (emphasis on ordinary) he or she would probably recommend some pills to chill me out :D

one of my lamas always juggles when he says "you know during monsoon up here in the himalaya all sorts of strange greenery is growing, also in the mind of the yogin and yogini all sorts of strange experiences occur"

can be horrific or blissful - "ekarasa" sister, one taste. What a mean and uplifting, clear and confusing thing to consider "ekarasa" one taste....

I also remembered going to this particular teacher once a week and do what is called "nyam bulwa" offering your experiences - and I had weird and magical experiences of all sorts that time - hell and heaven you might say

he always said enigmatic things like: "If you think its rigpa then that means it was only mind" or "if it came and went then its mind not rigpa" or "if it is rigpa there are no more questions, hesitations,doubts" etc.

after some weeks I got the message that was unspoken "just move on" at least for me thats how I understood him at that time - since then also I treat everything that arises in my practice or weird out of the ordinary states away from the cusion as... experiences not rigpa

lets dance!

Edited by RigdzinTrinley
  • Like 4

Thank you Steve.  I am rather awed by the Dream Yoga book, and in fact I am re-reading it again from the beginning.  Even reading the introduction (after the initial reading) brings deeper level of understanding.  I expect that this is one of those books that each time you read it, you see it with higher eyes.   I appreciate your statement that it is something that is impossible to define - the only thing I could relate it to was experience. So perhaps the experience had nothing to do with rigpa.  Perhaps I'll get a further glimpse (an undefinable one, for sure!) upon second reading.  And this time I won't try to define it,   :unsure:

Love to you.

well said well said well said!!!

• Like 1

Does the book The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep explains the dreaming techniques too?

Does the book The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep explains the dreaming techniques too?

Yes, that is the primary focus of the book.

A follow up book may be coming in the future that focuses on sleep yoga practices.

They are mentioned in the book but not in much detail.

The author is hosting a retreat this summer on sleep yoga practices - highly recommended!

• Like 1

he always said enigmatic things like: "If you think its rigpa then that means it was only mind" or "if it came and went then its mind not rigpa" or "if it is rigpa there are no more questions, hesitations,doubts" etc.

after some weeks I got the message that was unspoken "just move on" at least for me thats how I understood him at that time - since then also I treat everything that arises in my practice or weird out of the ordinary states away from the cusion as... experiences not rigpa

This makes perfect sense because in the case of my OP experience, there was both the Speaker and the Hearer (me).  Still in duality.

Apparently there is only one entity in your dance, RigdzenTrinley.  Or perhaps more correctly, non-entity.   :) The Ghost of Christmas Past, Present, and Future.

• Like 2

reminds me of my teacher who once told me: you only  have to stay in observation,

slowly it comes to me that this was far broader than the question i asked of him then. And all those things that we won't tell an ordinary psychologist about, just observe them, as you observe the other things in your life.

Not saying I do that...far from it :unsure:

but I can see now that that is the direction that calls me

• Like 1

Yes, that is the primary focus of the book.

A follow up book may be coming in the future that focuses on sleep yoga practices.

They are mentioned in the book but not in much detail.

The author is hosting a retreat this summer on sleep yoga practices - highly recommended!

Thank you  steve ...   :)

• Like 1

Dreaming techniques???  Not really..the book talks about trying to wake up several times during your sleeping hours.  Thereby, you won't fall into your REM sleep.  What you do while dreaming??  Hehehehe....  Dreams are residues of your life being played out while in sleep.  So, if you have problems with the real world, try to resolve that.  And your dream visions may change.  Pretty much in dreams, you see your life problems being played out.  You have to resolve them in your real life.  If that's not possible, you have to interpret the dreams themselves to determine what you must do. 

Since you can't really control your dreams 100%, is impossible to develop techniques to use while dreaming.  That would require some sorts of conscious power of the mind to influence the outcome and situation in the dreams...which is very, very hard to do. 

Ideally, while dreaming or in the beginning of the dream, you want to realize you are dreaming, immediately.  The truth is that you don't do that.  You would just find yourself in a situation, in the dream, and trying to play things out until you are stuck or encountering some unpleasant situations or bad feelings.  You can force yourself to wake up from it if, while dreaming, you couldn't find a solution to your situation.  Is often really nice to manage to resolve problems in the dreams, instead forcing yourself to wake up in order to stop the dream.  :)   

What does it mean when all of my dreams are exclusively happening in the town i lived 20-25 years ago and all the characters in my dreams are also from that same period?

That was the period when i was still relatively young and living with my parents.

For very long time(3 years maybe) i haven't had any dreams relating to my present life, friends, family, circumstances.

One other aspect is that all of these dreams that i am  having are filled with the threat of violence, running from something or someone, killing someone, running from police or other unpleasant situations..etc..

ChiForce,

You may want to check this out about lucid dreaming and the theory behind it. According to Daskalos, as you develop your self-awareness of your current day personality it will affect your abilities to become self-aware not only in your dreams, but in the psychical and noetic planes as well.

http://www.researchersoftruth.org/what-are-dreams

Nice link, thanks!

What does it mean when all of my dreams are exclusively happening in the town i lived 20-25 years ago and all the characters in my dreams are also from that same period?

That was the period when i was still relatively young and living with my parents.

For very long time(3 years maybe) i haven't had any dreams relating to my present life, friends, family, circumstances.

One other aspect is that all of these dreams that i am  having are filled with the threat of violence, running from something or someone, killing someone, running from police or other unpleasant situations..etc..

I'm guessing stuff to look at from that period of time, karmic remnants that are interfering with you today.  Any amends to make?  Any relationship you can change for the better re: family, friends?  And don't forget it's all actually happening Now, that time isn't really linear.

Thank you  steve ...   :)

If you go this summer, please contact me by PM - it would be nice to make your acquaintance.