Junko

The origin of mankind

I just think that you are Passive/Aggressive MH. :)

I may be but I know what I don't like. 

BTW  Back to the elements:

In a documentary last night it was mentioned that the bladders (bulbs) of kelp are what keeps the plant vertical.  What is in the bulbs?  Hydrogen.  Seems the plant is capable of separating the hydrogen and oxygen elements, discarding the oxygen and using the hydrogen to keep it upright.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

I take back what I said about you MH. I meant it for me. :unsure:

Well, hey, I can't even define passive/aggressive so I may actually be one.  But I'm not going to stick that label on my forehead.  I already have enough labels.

• Like 1

I think that you are in your 50's.

It sounds like you are or have studied Iaido. I liked how you redirected the nut case to the psych. ward. He was so absent minded he didn't know what hit him.

No Iaido, but  karate, Aikido, Sikiran,  a bit of Silat and  Shorin-ryu (under a teacher that trained with Kosei Nishihira 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishihira_Kosei

I am currently studying Mugai Ryu, a combative style of Iaido. The stye means nothing on the outside. So, it is not flashy. It is effective. Other styles of martial art I have studied have been Win Chun and Modern Arnis.

I really like the pictures of the school and house. When I saw the third house I felt such saddness. And then you told the truth. The Third House reminds me of the "Shot gun" shanty homes down in Philadelphia Mississippi. They call them "shot gun" because when you open the front door, there is a back door to run out of if someone is trying to shoot you.

There is a series of buildings  spread out and connected by walkways. Its all really nicely built  with an artistic flair (a 'Steiner School') that river rock building was made form rocks from the river on the land , the back wall has a pattern with light and dark rocks - a big snake. Some of the windows are framed  with giant chunks of crystals.  I also taught sport and various things to year 10 - great kids !  (but I knew how to relate to them well, they were a terror  to others at times).  

The whole thing started over 30 years ago when we had a meeting and  sold the 'we want to make a school here ' people 

the eastern slice off our land ( for $10,000, pay off when you can no interest )

(these pics 'not allowed' - so links ) 

http://chrysalis.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/Early-days-2-300x142.jpg

and bought an old building to make the first 'school room'. Getting it over the bridge must have been fun back then 

http://chrysalis.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/The-first-classroom-over-the-bridge-300x135.jpg

... and then towed it up the hill with our tractor and a neighbor's

http://chrysalis.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/Pulling-the-class-up-the-hill-touched-up.jpg

Things have come a looooooong way since then ;

Chrysalis-School.jpg

Now, as well as having pristine river at the front door and rainforest all around and a magnificent view (they get the same view to the north as we do - escarpment with waterfalls plunging over, they have all these cool activities, a lot of art and music, excursions to the desert, snow skiing, ocean snorkeling, mineral fossicking  ... and why shouldnt they  ?

My school was very different ... VERY !  A of of 'my kids' now have their own kids, some are doing really well and are happy, now THAT gladdens my heart !  :) 

... now 

Seiza is very difficult for older people because of their knees and lack of flexibility. When ever I cannot do something I work at it until I can. Fortunately, my body has cooperated with me.

Mine used to ... without thinking about it.  Old 'Jock'   would fling me nearly to the other side of the gym  after 'taking' my sword, and as I was rolling,chase me and try to cut me, I would have to come up out of the role taking the sword as he tried to cut me with it  . After  years I would get reall sore and stiff. mostly the stiffness was the issue. Eventually I would go to the doctor or masseur " Well no wonder, doing what you do ! " ... No, this feels different . The  it got harder to do stuff, work, on the tractor, reversing, looking backwards  and operating the heavy clutch at the same time was a killer.   I got stiffer and stiffer and complained more . One doctor even said to me 'Well , so what, I am stiff and sore after a hard days work too.

So I just put up with it. Stretching and loosening  started to make it worse.  Finally I went to a good Chiro and got full body scans ; "You have multiple areas of degeneration, and Arthritis .  Why didnt you do something about this before or see someone ?" 

:angry: 

I had to give up Aikido, no grappling twisting rolling floor work anymore  :( 

Apparently it was all the heavy lifting I did with patients in the hospital, nb the days before all the lifting rigs and equipment - I did that (and sometimes one had to get in a position where it was impossible to lift in correct posture ... for years on end - that and a few motorcycle smashes ... and some 'drink showing off accidents     :huh:  

I love nature and plants. I just set up an indoor pond using an acquarium. Need to get some more pond plants for it. Maybe one more, or two.

Good night Nungali

Indoor pond ?  Sounds interesting .   I have a tank with spotted sucker cat fish and native fish from the river ..... I have yet to nab one of these, still looking 

7-1.jpg

I found two together once, but let them be as they might have been a mating pair. 

I also have a large tank with one of these guys

http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/file_original-size-2083.jpg

Edited by Nungali

I may be but I know what I don't like. 

BTW  Back to the elements:

In a documentary last night it was mentioned that the bladders (bulbs) of kelp are what keeps the plant vertical.  What is in the bulbs?  Hydrogen.  Seems the plant is capable of separating the hydrogen and oxygen elements, discarding the oxygen and using the hydrogen to keep it upright.

I suppose with all the water around, it makes sense.  Cant make gas out of water , the way the plant needs it, but water 'separated'  = 2 gasses. 

I wonder if they could be adapted to produce hydrogen for us  ?     Now, that is working 'in harmony' with nature. 

So is , in my estimation, getting  microbes to eat certain 'inorganic' wastes.  Just need one that can convert plastic into something good.

• Like 1

I take back what I said about you MH. I meant it for me. :unsure:

yes ... gotta watch that  ' H  instead  of  the   e    key '  switcheroo       :)

• Like 1

I suppose with all the water around, it makes sense.  Cant make gas out of water , the way the plant needs it, but water 'separated'  = 2 gasses.

Exactly.  We could learn a lot by paying closer attention to how raw nature does things. 

I wonder if they could be adapted to produce hydrogen for us  ?     Now, that is working 'in harmony' with nature. 

That process already exists and it is called electrolysis (although it might have a new name now).  It is basically putting an electrical charge in water causing the two elements to separate, capturing the gases.  Hydrogen cars could operate using this method.  Last I heard it still requires more energy for the separation than is captured with the process.  But the potential for improvements in the method exists. 

So is , in my estimation, getting  microbes to eat certain 'inorganic' wastes.  Just need one that can convert plastic into something good.

And that already exists too.  The processes are slow but they work.  No reason (except for money) why the processes can't be further developed.

• Like 1

What department did you work in ?   I worked in Aussie film industry  (as a grunt , mostly )  ... a few biggies and INSANE shit happening  (like flying helicopters below the skyscraper line in Sydney along the streets !  They will NEVER let them do that  again !   I got in  via friend , worked for him a little bit (grunting ) ;

http://www.advancedcameratechnologies.com.au/libraaerials.html

It can be fun  :)   Once I was on another job  and he was working nearby shooting .  For some stupid reason they were filming in a park right near the  inner urban Newtown area (one of the biggest cafe 'sidewalk dining', narrow busy traffic and  and  truck and bus routes streets in Sydney )   with  ......  

water buffalo  !     :D  ... they had a  'mishap; .... and came past us ....  with us  jeering and hooting at them ,  and they ....  

:angry:  " Shut the fuck up  !  "       :D

\5343458-1x1-700x700.jpg

Then the news headlines :   "Escaped Buffalo run rampant  in Sydney after escaping in from film set."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/escaped-buffalo-run-rampant-in-sydney-after-escaping-from-film-set/story-fni0cx12-1226864086096

Then we all watched it on the next night's news :   " Oh look there is Jimmy, he looks angry doesnt he ?  I think the Buffalo is winning ."

< voice from kitchen >      " Shut the fuck up  !  "      

:D

lol... water buffalo 1.. production 0!

I'm a Propmaker, in IATSE 44.  I build scenery and certain special props, and am an occasional f/x sidekick. 

I really love it, the intense, immersive nature of the work while on a project and the subsequent freedom of having weeks off between projects allowing me to pursue some things beyond work that aren't feasible on a more traditional job/cubicle schedule.

I most appreciate being able to see some amazing places and routinely doing something new.  One of my highlight days was hanging, suspended in a harness from the helicopter pad atop one of downtown LA's taller buildings while doing a setup for a rooftop bar/fight scene. 

• Like 2

Dearly duck mama with 10 duck baby following after her and crossing the car street.....why am I seeing this?

Edited by Junko

One time 'in camp'  this woman turned up ; "I saw the strangest thing  on the way here .  This possum jumped out on the road side, in the middle of the day and stood up and started waving his hands in the air ... and then ....  "

Uncle Lewi  interrupted , " ... some little ones cam out and ran across the road ? "

" How on earth could you know that ! "

"She was telling you to slow down -  babies were about to cross the road ."

"In the middle of the day ! "

<shrugs>   " Maybe a big goanna chased them out of their tree hole ? " 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

It can be considered 'naughty' to jump up and do a 'hootcie - kootchie  dance ' on  the table 

.... but this chick has 'balls' !       :D

image124.jpg

• Like 1

I have practiced Karambit. I carry one sometimes with me. It is spring assisted amd has a nice weigth. I was talking with a Security Guard who has a license to carry a gun about how it is O.K. to use lethal force when faced with the potential to get killed. He said that they are taught to show the weapon and let the other guy make a choice. I was always nervous about coming out first. He has given me a good formula to work with. I carry a dulo dulo in my car just in case someone wants to stick their head in...surprise! Of course, I will with command presence order them to step away from the car.

I like the picture of the guppie. Very beautiful creature.

Are the water buffalo tied together in some way. Because they seem to be running together as if tethered.

I applaud your work with children. They can be very difficult especially if they have a mental health disorder. I worked in a Juveniel Retention Center in the  90's. When you work for an agency or treatment center Administration figures out a way to use you in all capacities. They don't pay more, but they expect a lot, and work you like a Hebrew Slave.

Edited by Jim D.

lol... water buffalo 1.. production 0!

I'm a Propmaker, in IATSE 44.  I build scenery and certain special props, and am an occasional f/x sidekick. 

I really love it, the intense, immersive nature of the work while on a project and the subsequent freedom of having weeks off between projects allowing me to pursue some things beyond work that aren't feasible on a more traditional job/cubicle schedule.

I most appreciate being able to see some amazing places and routinely doing something new.  One of my highlight days was hanging, suspended in a harness from the helicopter pad atop one of downtown LA's taller buildings while doing a setup for a rooftop bar/fight scene. 

Props eh ? 

I got a bone to pick with you guys !  

Get to work one morning, there is a big lump under the tarp that I had covered my stuff with on a table .... WTF ! ?   Rip it off and 

ARRRGGHH !      - it a  dead body !  A woman with one arm, her whole lower torso and legs ripped off and horrific facial injuries  ..... < recovers from initial shock  >    You bastards !   

Then my workmate ( also my Irish prank-pulling sidekick)  ...  " Hmmmm , I got an idea ! "

So I go to the props department (and they see me coming and hide) ;  " No, its cool, come out ! You guys owe me a favor, I want some fake blood ." 

Later, ;   to the boss   " Did your car handle funny on the way to work this  morning ?"

"No why ?  ... You bastards ... what have you done to it ? "

"Us ? !  Nothing.  I just noticed it looked like something was caught up under it when you drove in, looks like its still there. Probably just some scrunched up paper or something, if you didnt notice it ." 

< goes to check .... then gets down on knees and sticks his head under  ( he bought this silly big Jeep thing )  ...

"  Arrrhggg ... O My God !  it ... it ....      you bastards !   " 

~  My first on job into to  Props guys ;   I am a Noob , this guy turns up on a brand new Ducatti everyone is ; Oooooo !  ... this   and that ...   and he eventually . 

" Right !  I am parking it right here . Everyone keep away !  If anything happens to my bike ... you fuckin had it ! "

Hmmm ... testy ! 

Then later I hear this screaming and abuse. I go to see whats going on and some idiot has reversed into his bike, its on its side , a big scrpe on the tank, broken blinker glass and head light on the road  .....   O    M    G    !    :o

Then he :  " Right I am going to lunch , and by the time I get back you guys have better sorted things out !  Or Im gonna punch heads I  I warned yas !  "

and he storms off  ....  wtf ?   :wacko:    ... then these guys come out of the bushes looking sheepish and start doing stuff around the bike, as I watch I see there are little tiny rubber mats under the bits where the bike is touching the road, the peel of a clear transfer of plastic off the tank with a big scrape mark on it. They clean up the clear and orange glass off the road and reattach the original unharmed   blinker glass and headlight lens .

Me, to a mate " Who are those guys ? "

" Props department ." 

Deadly  !      :D

"

• Like 1

To help protect them. 

Did they cross safely ?

Yes! I have a post card of it's picture even.I collect all different kind of post cards in my life.

Props eh ? 

I got a bone to pick with you guys !  

Get to work one morning, there is a big lump under the tarp that I had covered my stuff with on a table .... WTF ! ?   Rip it off and 

ARRRGGHH !      - it a  dead body !  A woman with one arm, her whole lower torso and legs ripped off and horrific facial injuries  ..... < recovers from initial shock  >    You bastards !   

Then my workmate ( also my Irish prank-pulling sidekick)  ...  " Hmmmm , I got an idea ! "

So I go to the props department (and they see me coming and hide) ;  " No, its cool, come out ! You guys owe me a favor, I want some fake blood ." 

Later, ;   to the boss   " Did your car handle funny on the way to work this  morning ?"

"No why ?  ... You bastards ... what have you done to it ? "

"Us ? !  Nothing.  I just noticed it looked like something was caught up under it when you drove in, looks like its still there. Probably just some scrunched up paper or something, if you didnt notice it ." 

< goes to check .... then gets down on knees and sticks his head under  ( he bought this silly big Jeep thing )  ...

"  Arrrhggg ... O My God !  it ... it ....      you bastards !   " 

~  My first on job into to  Props guys ;   I am a Noob , this guy turns up on a brand new Ducatti everyone is ; Oooooo !  ... this   and that ...   and he eventually . 

" Right !  I am parking it right here . Everyone keep away !  If anything happens to my bike ... you fuckin had it ! "

Hmmm ... testy ! 

Then later I hear this screaming and abuse. I go to see whats going on and some idiot has reversed into his bike, its on its side , a big scrpe on the tank, broken blinker glass and head light on the road  .....   O    M    G    !    :o

Then he :  " Right I am going to lunch , and by the time I get back you guys have better sorted things out !  Or Im gonna punch heads I  I warned yas !  "

and he storms off  ....  wtf ?   :wacko:    ... then these guys come out of the bushes looking sheepish and start doing stuff around the bike, as I watch I see there are little tiny rubber mats under the bits where the bike is touching the road, the peel of a clear transfer of plastic off the tank with a big scrape mark on it. They clean up the clear and orange glass off the road and reattach the original unharmed   blinker glass and headlight lens .

Me, to a mate " Who are those guys ? "

" Props department ." 

Deadly  !      :D

"

I love the pranks!

You can always tell when you've messed up and people are pissed, because the pranks stop.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

Oh what an irony.  Were I to be a believer in creation I would think that the origin of mankind and its evolution was just a prank.

• Like 2

Let's think about the Creation Story in Genesis. O.K.  There is this all good and wise God who gets bored and makes a guy he names Adam. O.K. Then Adam gets bored with all the animals and plant life at his disposal and starts his own pity party and complains to God who breaks one of Adam's ribs off and rips it out to make a woman. Adam sleeps for a while and wakes up. Now he has a companion that is not happy with the way things are igoing in the Garden of Eden. She meets up with the talking snake that starts working her right away about how much smarter she can be if she eats an apple. She does...and then goes and gets Adam to do the same thing because she wants to be fair and needs a partner in crime. Adam, dumshit that he is, goes along with her, blames her for it, and they both loose out on not having to work the rest of their lives. Eve gets a bonus:  periods and birthing two boys, one of which kills his brother and gets a mark on his forehead for the rest of his life.

Oh, BTW, there is a lot of incest going on in the Adams Family when you think about it. How did the rest of the people just happen. God's creation days were done the minute Adam rolled of the line. God just can't go back to the drawing board and figure out another way to make a perfect human being without f...... them over. He can't bring himself to admit He was wrong and be humble about it. He just can't make His amends because he suffers from a character defect called Pride. This character does such a number on Him that he made another guy called Jesus, and sends him in their to make the amends for Him. What a coward this God is. Let some one clean up after his mess. So, this Jesus guy gets tortured and crucified and takes a dirt nap. The God decides to get rid of the evidence of this imperfect man Jesus, and feeds him to the fishes.

So, let me see if I got this right. God set Adam and Eve up for failure and knew this when he made them, and now He's going to punish them for messing up when it was His mess up. I don't know, God don't seem so nice and benevolent. He seems a little Ying/Yang to me.

Don't get me wrong. No disrespect intended. ;)

Are talking about the origin of Prank jokes, or the origin of mankind? :wacko:

Sorry Jim ... yes 'pranks' are not specific to mankind  ... I stand  admonished 

64627-142905025675-cat-pushes-dog-into-t

• Like 1

Oh what an irony.  Were I to be a believer in creation I would think that the origin of mankind and its evolution was just a prank.

Onion Peelings 

“The Universe is the Practical Joke of the General

at the expense of the Particular, quoth FRATER

PERDURABO, and laughed.

But those disciples nearest to him wept, seeing the

Universal Sorrow.

Those next to them laughed, seeing the Universal Joke.

Below these certain disciples wept,

Then certain laughed.

Others next wept.

Others next laughed.

Next others wept.

Next others laughed.

Last came those that wept because they could not

see the Joke, and those that laughed lest they

should be thought not to see the Joke, and thought

it safe to act like FRATER PERDURABO.

But though FRATER PERDURABO laughed

openly, He also at the same time wept secretly;

and in Himself He neither laughed nor wept.

Nor did He mean what He said.”

Edited by Nungali

COMMENTARY (ΙΔ)

The title, "Onion Peelings", refers to the well-known incident in "Peer Gynt".

The chapter resembles strongly Dupin's account of how he was able to win at the game of guessing odd or even. (See Poe's tale of "The Purloined Letter".) But this is a more serious piece of psychology. In one's advance towards a comprehension of the universe, one changes radically one's point of view; nearly always it amounts to a reversal.

This is the cause of most religious controversies. Paragraph 1, however is Frater Perdurabo's formulation of his perception of the Universal Joke, also described in Chapter 34. All individual existence is tragic. Perception of this fact is the essence of comedy. "Household Gods" is an attempt to write pure comedy. "The Bacchae" of Euripides is another.

At the end of the chapter it is, however, seen that to the Master of the Temple the opposite perception occurs simultaneously, and that he himself is beyond both of these.

And in the last paragraph it is shown that he realises the truth as beyond any statement of it.